Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Popo Chan’s Double Whammy & Trip to the Vet #411975 03/21/11 06:50 AM
Tanaka Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
:( [size:14pt][b]Popo Chan’s Double Whammy & Trip to the Vet:[/b][/size] :( [color:#990000][size:8pt][b]Disclaimer: This is going to be a bit long, so you might want to grab a drink or make a run to the bathroom before you start reading![/b][/size][/color] ;) [size:11pt][b]Right now, Popo Chan is OK & in high energy mode (30 minutes ago, I placed a large cuttlebone in her cage & it has been decimated and lies shredded & crumbled on the bottom of her majesty’s cage. :grin: Toys are flung about with vigor, constant happy whistling and fweeping to my music & her friend Dango Chan. HOWEVER, she has been through a bit of a health ordeal & I fear still has a ways to go for a full recovery.[/b][/size] :o [size:11pt][b]Problem One:This is a continuing problem which hasn’t been resolved as of yet. :( Little by little, she has become a ‘hairy’ little creature. When I say “hairy,” I mean that many of her downy feathers have become overgrown (2 to 3 cm long – nearly an inch or so!). Included here are pictures of her fluffy butt :blush: (where the condition was first noticeable). But now, the condition has spread all over her body.[/b][/size] [img:left]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/PC150136.jpg[/img] [img:center]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/PC020122.jpg[/img] [img:right]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/PB100011.jpg[/img] [size:11pt][b]Problem Two: Her left eyelid (actually “eyelid” is an understatement, it was really the whole upper left side of her head) became massively swollen, red & featherless. :sick: (SORRY, NO PHOTO OF THIS.)She would sadly sit on her perch & it was clear to see she needed help. This was very frightening & I honestly thought I might lose her. :eek: Help: Darn straight! ;) She was packed up & off we went to the vet. She was SO adorable as she weakly let me scoop her up & place her in her carrying case! Anyhow, as you may have noticed, I said “vet” not “avian-vet.” There are no avian vets at all in the part of Japan I live in. None. :( But I went to the vet recommended to me by the pet store where I met my two feathered friends. The vet was actually quite knowledgeable about birds. I was expecting to have to scoop up my girl and make a run for it as some incompetent “cat & dog” vet wanted to do some unthinkable Frankenstein test on my girl. But the vet was very gentle and caring. :) She was aware of many bird illnesses (many that I had read up on in regards to Popo Chan’s feathers) & treatments. Solution to Problem One: Currently unknown. :confused: The vet recommended using “Nekton-S” bird vitamins to see if her feather condition is due to a deficiency of some sort. What do you think of these vitamins? I have not yet started this treatment. The taxi driver who took me & Popo Chan to the vet keeps finches & he recommended another vet which treats his birds. I’m going to take Popo to this vet to see if they agree with Popo’s first vet’s diagnosis or not. We are not vets, I know, but what are your thoughts on Popo’s condition? IDEAS PLEASE!!!! :crazy: Solution to Problem Two: Eye drops. Twice daily for almost two weeks. Popo’s eye is now 100% healed. Yea! :D That the vet was able to get Popo medicine that helped has given me more confidence in this first vet. She also took the time to show me how to correctly hold Popo Chan, administer the drops & wipe away excess medicine. Popo & I have become VERY familiar with each other now! Every morning & night, I put Popo Chan in her carrying case, took her into another room and gave her the drops. Surprisingly, she didn’t bite or snap at me once. :whistle: In some way, I think she knew I was helping her. And even more surprising, is that she has not become fearful of me or my hands but in fact quite the opposite. My shy girl has become more comfortable with me. It was priceless a few days ago when Popo Chan's eye was totally recovered – She seemed to realize all of a sudden that she was better and manically began running all over her cage flinging toys here & there, chirping ecstatically and waddling all over the bottom of her cage. It was just so fun to see the sullen, fluffed up girl of the past few weeks blossom into a bird expressing sheer joy. :) She was definitely announcing, “The queen is back! Servant, fetch me a cuttlebone & keep those darn eye drops the hell away from me!” Aside from her royal hairiness, things are back to normal in our abode[/b][/size] :)

Peace & Happiness
Re: Popo Chan’s Double Whammy & Trip to the Vet [Re: Tanaka] #411977 03/21/11 07:19 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
hi Tanaka nice to meet you ...i understand kksuns and you go way back...anyway NEKTON-BIO is better for feathers and is specifically for the feathers and have you got a full spectrum light...you may want to get your hands on one of them as well...can you inform me what your giving as a diet to the bird please...

its very very late in the wee hours of the am here i was suppose to go to bed way earlier ...shhhhhhhh dont tell a few people lol...but as u see and they will soon enuf im still here but i swear only till im done posting this...as i must get some rest...

kksuns is super duper at links and hunting up things...like maybe a link for the nekkton bio or look under ebay...you will know its the one as the label has pretty feathers on it also...

good luck trying to find it there in japan...i deal with a few from china who have to export to there many different seeds and supplies and you may also need to do that ...

ill be back tomorrow afternoon here as right now gosh its 3:19am and im gonna be scolded i think by a couple folks giggle...but ive alligator hide...

ok i gotcha the link

http://www.arcatapet.com/category.cfm?catnum=510

may i also recommend some of this or PETAMINE breeding egg food

https://www.birdsupplynh.com/catalog/pro...2bcd42870e10e74

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 03/21/11 07:28 AM.
Re: Popo Chan’s Double Whammy & Trip to the Vet [Re: Tanaka] #411980 03/21/11 07:29 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
ive added a couple of links for you...in ***above post...ive always recommended the nekton products in here as some will attest too.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 03/21/11 07:30 AM.
Re: Popo Chan’s Double Whammy & Trip to the Vet [Re: Tanaka] #411984 03/21/11 12:46 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Oh my gosh Tanaka! I must admit I have never seen such a thing. I've seen the feather dusters but...feather growth like Popo Chan is displaying out of the blue? Oh my!
So sooo good to hear her little eye has gotten better and she's back to her spunky self at least..and also that the ordeal has brought the 2 of you closer. awwwww

I've done a lot of research on vitamins myself, and have to say the Nekton products are highly rated. Also just to let you know, illusive has years of experience in the avian field and she is usually spot on with her advice. She may not be a certified avian vet but she knows her stuff.

Shaddup illusive..I can toot if I want to! I call it as I see it and you have worked wonders here for MANY.
Maybe cause you're part owl yourself?? LOL
Geez another late night...errr early mornin?? tsk tsk

Very very best to you and Popo Chan Tanaka. It's great to hear from you...just wishes it were under better circumstances. frown
Pleeease keep us updated???

Get well soooon Popo Chan. You are just as beautiful as ever..hairy or not. wink

Re: Popo Chan’s Double Whammy & Trip to the Vet [Re: illusive Fantasy] #411985 03/21/11 12:46 PM
Tanaka Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
[size:11pt][b]Hello Illusive Fantasy! :) Thanks for your response. I definitely appreciate your input. I checked out your Nekton-Bio link & that looks like it could be promising and probably better than the recommended Nekton-S. ;) I found Amazon ships this overseas, so this will soon be ordered from them unless I can find somewhere here in Japan which can ship locally (Sadly, Amazon Japan does not carry this). :o I thought along the same lines as you regarding the full spectrum light. My babies get a little natural sunlight, but not much. And none at all during the cold winter. I ordered a light at the pet shop where I got my budgies. I wish I had one earlier, but hindsight (a.k.a. “stupidity”) is 20/20 :crazy:. When trying to figure out what to do with Popo Chan’s eye, I read about “light therapy” for sick birds in Barron’s “The Parakeet Handbook” & realized it could possibly be beneficial for her feathers as well. Hopefully, I’ll have a light for Popo Chan (and Dango Chan, too) anytime now. :) [color:#CC0000]Both Dango Chan & Popo Chan get a mix of different seeds/foods:[/color] Their main diet has consisted of Hari Approved “Living World Premium for Budgies” which consists of a mix of seeds, fruits, vegetables & pellets. They also receive a mix of two different seed mixes (Japanese brand – “Qualis”) Both are labeled as “Orange Flavonoid.” Their diet is supplemented with “Tropican Egg Granules”& Pittorin (a Japanese budgie food recommended to me by the pet shop where I got Popo Chan & Dango Chan) From time to time, they get small amounts of millet or oats as a treat. Cuttlebone & mineral blocks are always in their cages & getting munched on. Popo Chan (the girl), absolutely destroys them! :D Currently, since just before Popo went to the vet, I’ve also been mixing her seed with a little Exact Hand Feeding Baby Formula powder (dry, not wet). This is actually listed below the Abba Green 92A w/Seed Eggfood on the link you sent me! This is the same formula she & Dango Chan were hand fed as babies. In the past, it was mixed with water, heated & prepared along with the before mentioned Pittorin. I’ve tried all kinds of tricks to get them to eat fresh vegetables, but neither of them have gone for it. :crazy: They’ll peck at them briefly at times, but generally ignore them. They still get carrot, broccoli, peas & greens. . . But as of now, I cannot say that any of these are actually part of their diet. However, they do eat the dry fruits & vegetables included in their main food mix. . . Go figure! :crazy: When you awake from your “slumber of the dead,” I’m interested to hear any ideas you have.[/b][/size] :)

Peace & Happiness
Re: Popo Chan’s Double Whammy & Trip to the Vet [Re: kksuns] #411986 03/21/11 01:13 PM
Tanaka Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
[size:11pt][b]Too funny kksuns, we posted at the same time! :D Thanks for your support. I’m glad to hear you’ve heard good things about Nekton supplements & Illusive Fantasy, too!!! :) ;) :grin: Popo’s eye was the vet’s & my main concern, but now that her eye is better (yea!) I want to get her hairy self back to “normal.” But now she is eating and drinking normally & her poop (it always comes down to the poop, huh? :/ ) is normal. She’s a bundle of energy, so based on this, I think whatever is the problem is not life threatening at the moment, but she will probably have to undergo some sort of an ongoing treatment/supplement. I just wish I clearly knew what was going on with her so I could do whatever is necessary. :crazy: I agree, hairy or not, she’s got a cute little fluffy bottom! :blush: [/b][/size]

Peace & Happiness
Re: Popo Chan’s Double Whammy & Trip to the Vet [Re: Tanaka] #411990 03/21/11 02:34 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
hello again tanaka...first of all let me send my condolences to your people and whats happening there...i wish for you and yours safety and a speedy recovery for Japan in this awful catastrophe...

i up just not awake...still needing a hour or so more sleep so i WILL get back to you again...by all means tho get the items i listed above for a starter...and hopefully a really good full spectrum light to place about two feet away from the cage...

also she is distroying her calcium for good reason as i noticed her toes do not lay flat but are somewhat crooked as she stands...try to find some liquid calcium to give to her also...

and no flavored cuttle bone or mineral blocks....ill finish this up later becuz besides no sleep i have computer issues...good luck hunting a way to get those things but im sure you will figure out a way to get them to you...your countries over there, especially china, dont have much for birds including good foods...

be back in awhile

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 03/21/11 04:35 PM.
Re: Popo Chan’s Double Whammy & Trip to the Vet [Re: Tanaka] #411995 03/21/11 04:22 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
ok im back tanaka but ill bet your sleeping now...anyway i wonder if you would be willing to put up with a barrage of many questions from me and id also like to see a close up picture showing the entire cage as well as one from a distance showing the area around the cage too where you normally keep it...

i suspect this didnt exactly come on suddenly and was a ongoing issue...anyway if your willing ill private pm you so as to run by you the seemingly endless questions ill have for you...

also what size is your cage in american inches and is the other bird housed with this one also.

i could be wrong on this part but i suspect the eye injury ***may have started first then the feather issue either way the feather issue for sure was a while coming on and not sudden to this extent.

and yes kksuns if you noticed in the picture it looks like cage issues againnnn....but ill bet more than just the obvious as well but we will see with a couple of pictures. i also suspect some shreddy toys in the cage and those have to gooooo as well tanaka if you have any.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 03/21/11 04:33 PM.
Re: Popo Chan’s Double Whammy & Trip to the Vet [Re: Tanaka] #411998 03/21/11 05:12 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Actually illusive to tell the truth I DIDN'T notice the cage when i looked at pics this morn. I wasn't quite awake yet. I did notice tho when I came back just now.
Possibly not powder coated? Is it powder coated cage wire Tanaka? So many, and yes mostly in Japan and China, are having issues due to unsafe cages. Heavy metal toxicity.
I didn't notice the toes until illusive mentioned them and I had to go back and look. You are SO observant illusive, Wow! Good eye!

I love the pic of them kissing between the cages Tanaka. awwww

I also want to send my best to you and yours in regards to what has been going on there in your country. I actually had thought of you when I heard the news, but hadn't seen you in so long here...I didn't think you would get a message from me anyway.So good to see you're back and ok smile

Re: Popo Chan’s Double Whammy & Trip to the Vet [Re: illusive Fantasy] #412000 03/21/11 06:48 PM
Tanaka Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
[size:11pt][b]Illusive Fantasy, Yes, I should be sleeping! :crazy: Normally, I would be, but a really bad movie kept me up this late. Thank you for your words of sympathy. Things have been very bad for many in Japan now. Here’s a shot of Dango Chan & Popo Chan’s cage setup. It’s an older picture, but the setup is still generally the same. My boy & girl each have their own cages, side by side. If you look, you can see Dango Chan & Popo Chan in their respective cages, so that should give you a good idea of their cage size. I keep their food and supplies under their cage & a wooden play gym & bath on top of their cage. The cage is against a wall in my “main” room (where I eat, sleep, work, watch TV, listen to music, whatever). The birds are definitely the center of attention. :) The back, top and left & right sides are covered with a thick sheet of plastic to protect against drafts. I used to cover the front of their cages at night because I used to stay up much later than them. But Dango Chan had night frights every once in a while. :o Now I leave the room light on low & the front of their cage uncovered during the night and his spells have pretty much ended & we all go to sleep at the same time. First click of the light “chain” and they all flutter to their bedtime perches. Second click and its nighty-night for all three of us. I’m getting off topic aren’t i? Thank goodness I have a three day holiday now. I can stay up and ramble in the darkness (first two clicks have already happened several hours ago!). Back on track. . . ;) [img]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/Twnscage-1.jpg[/img] I’ll see if I can find any good close up pictures for you tomorrow. What is it that you’re looking for? Heavy metal toxicity? I’ve recently read about it, especially with regards to cages. Mine aren’t coated & I feared that might be a possibility, but when I bought mine, I was told they are made of stainless steel, how the hell can I tell? :confused: Is there a test I can do? I was concerned they might not be & as a precaution I asked the vet about this, but after her examination & based on Popo Chan’s generally active nature, good looking poop & healthy weight, the vet did not believe this was the case. Aside from the cuttlebone & mineral blocks, there are no other “shredding” toys. She has a lot of foot toys which she loves to toss about, a few wooden and plastic toys, perches of various thicknesses (both plastic, dowel and natural)& quite a few plastic ladders against the cage walls which she loves to climb on, but nothing that she rips apart. Her feather condition began a few months ago. Little by little she began growing these funky down feathers, but her vigor and energy remained. I brushed them off as being a silly freak of nature & I was expecting them to molt, and some did, but the others remained. It was a few weeks ago when her left “eyelid” seemed infected that her character clearly changed & I took her to the vet. The first day of her eye condition, her eyelid was a little red and slightly bald (probably from rubbing against her plastic ladders for “relief.”) & I thought maybe she got some cuttlebone “dust” in her eye. The morning of the second day, it was swollen & looked horrible. :sick: The eye itself seemed fine, but the area around it was swollen. I got her to the vet later that afternoon. I was concerned that the two problems might be related, but the vet felt they were not. However, she is not a trained avian vet & I am planning to get a second opinion. But that said, now that her eyelid has healed, Popo Chan is back to her active self. These past two weeks she has clearly been sick. :cry: Tomorrow I’ll take a closer look at her foot to see if it is crooked. I haven’t noticed it before, but you might be on to something. Thank you for your help & ideas.[/b][/size] :)

Peace & Happiness
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/24/20 01:27 AM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site