Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bleeding #426297 04/21/13 05:09 PM
A
Abigail Offline OP
OP Offline
A
My parakeet looks fine but whenever she flaps her wings little drops of blood fly off. I have not yet gotten to the point in training when she will get on my finger, so I cannot really inspect it because I don't want to accidentally hurt her more by grabbing her. I'm kind of worried about her because I don't know how long this has been going on because the traces of blood I found a few days ago i passed off as smears. but my mom says she won't go to the vet till tomorrow, is that okay? also when I first got her she had an injured wing and was very skittish, could this be an old wound returning?

Re: bleeding [Re: Abigail] #426298 04/21/13 05:24 PM
T
Toony Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
T
Clean and dress the wound! Or else she may subject to illness from infection! Someone else will explain.... Or maybe I will. Try to get a hold of her, locate the wound, wash it, and apply cornstarch. Then go to an avian vet. It's unhealthy for ANYONE to walk around with a wound (thats still bleeding) for more than a day. You'll get additional details from the wonderful members of this forum. They might explain something about why she might be bleeding and stuff about feathers and stuff (hint hint)

I'll miss you guys
Re: bleeding [Re: Abigail] #426299 04/21/13 06:43 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
you should have on hand some kwik stop or corn starch or very soft softened soap like a paste...

then you need to try to gather her up with a soft cloth ready to hold her with...place your hand in cage ABOVE HER this will make her go down...when she is on the bottom you can grab her and be prepared for a nip that's why you will transfer her to a hand with a clean face cloth in it...you need to be quick to do this...

then gently spread the wing you suspect is injured and exam...it could be a blood feather... if her wings have been clipped and clipped wings frequently cause this to happen...one reason I personally do not advocate clipped wings...

if it looks like a blood feather...it will need to be pulled and seeing how I don't know how old you are or how squeamish I wont go into how to do this and just advise...GENTLY GETTING SOME KWIK STOP ON IT...if you don't have that you should pick it up at any local pet store found in dogs and cats aisles...but do that BEFORE TRYING TO GRAB AND EXAM THE BIRD so your not doing it twice.

do get it to a AVIAN VET...they will pull the feather...if they don't and it really opens up your bird could bleed to death...so

if you don't feel comfortable with ANY of this then just leave all as is and...cover her and turn lights way down so she remains calm and keep her this way when you transport her to the vet as well...

do NOT TRY TO WASH AND CLEAN IT ...this will further add to issues....

good luck

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 04/21/13 06:46 PM.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site