Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Newbie Question #425329 10/28/12 08:05 AM
B
birdmaster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi I'm pretty new to owning parakeets. I have two parakeets and one of them is pretty timid and the other is very adventurous. Both of them however are extremely hard to get out of the cage. I try training them with food and treats but nothing seems to work. They completely avoid stepping up onto my finger when I want to get them out. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Re: Newbie Question [Re: birdmaster] #425330 10/28/12 11:41 AM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Have you read Lisa's tips for training? Also, read the threads on budgie training? Start reading through the threads and I know all your questions will be answered.

Re: Newbie Question [Re: birdmaster] #425333 10/28/12 02:29 PM
**mattie** Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend

Re: Newbie Question [Re: birdmaster] #425335 10/28/12 04:19 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
its best to let the birds come out on their own as opposed to trying to get them to come out ...once fully trained at least with perch training as you will at some point need to retrieve them with a perch...to return them to the cage

on their first outtings expect a few crash and burns as they fly into something and then fall ..do not rush to them at this time just let them be as rushing to them will only further frighten them...they do survive the first couple of bangs and falls then get to learn how to navigate thru the house and land more safely...remember this will be their first times using their wings and LEARNING to actually fly...

be sure there is nothing for danger and you birdie proof the area from cieling fans being on to standing water anywhere...toilet seats down and doors locked so someone dont try to go out or come in when they are out and then you have a escapee...also if any other pets in house they need to be closed off in another room...cover any LARGE mirrors as they dont know its a mirror and will try to fly into them...just pull drapes at first over windows or slider doors...eventually this wont need to get done but that wont be for months as they will need to figure all this stuff out...

training is more difficult with two especially if they are in the same cage and with females its always a bit more tedious to train them...

you will get it in time and so will they...just remember always do not force and be patient and slow in your movements around them... laugh

and welcome to the forum... smile

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 10/28/12 04:21 PM.
Re: Newbie Question [Re: birdmaster] #425338 10/28/12 08:49 PM
B
birdmaster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
They are ok once they get on my finger. When I try in the cage they just kind of side step my finger. When they are out they will sit on my finger forever.

Re: Newbie Question [Re: birdmaster] #425341 10/28/12 08:59 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
your possibly approaching them to fast inside the cage..instead of a finger extend all fingers and offer the back of your hand...this is better for two reasons ...one it makes it harder for them to try to get a good nip on ya and the other reason is it offers a more secure sort of full platform with the back of your hand..

they will come out on their own ...not often does a bird like to be removed from its security by you...that might take a good year of confidence before they will allow that...so just open the door and go sit somewhere quietly and let the bird venture out on its own ..this might take a couple days even or as little as a half hour...depends on the bird and how comfortable it feels with its surroundings ...

just be sure absolutley sure before opening that door that everything around is bird proof so the bird wont injury itself...like ceiling fans off...doors locked to outside...and no standing water anywhere..in a sink etc and toilet cover is down etc etc...

smile

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site