Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
FORUM TWEAKING #424621 09/22/12 12:45 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline OP
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
I do not see how it benefits anyone to not be able to see who is reading what threads as this is also a way to BUMP important threads back to light...and gives many of us a way to even read threads we have as yet to have ever seen and read...i think this feature should not be eliminated...its way easier than going thru the sections and trying to see what was written and when...and about what.

Re: FORUM TWEAKING [Re: illusive Fantasy] #424622 09/22/12 12:51 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Dear Illusive -

I am confused about this post. I only changed the sidebars of the forum. Those sidebars never indicated who was reading which threads ...?

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: FORUM TWEAKING [Re: illusive Fantasy] #424630 09/22/12 04:29 AM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
It's true that when we had very high traffic that we forced threads to stay on quite narrow topics. If someone strayed even a tiny bit off topic, we would reprimand them and move the discussion elsewhere.

im not referring to any of this...just the fact it was nice to review old discussions of importance and have the ability to BUMP them to review again.

now this wont be possible...and a LOT of valuable information is lost this way that is helpful to new people making inquiries...on certain topics...the answers were all out there for them to find...having been discussed in detail...

i myself referred new comers to look for topics of interest and the answers through this method...that just about anything they had questions about was ..had been...discussed in depth through the individualization of ...HEALTH or MEDICAL threads...TRAINING...or GENERAL topics threads....(however, these were limited to the most recent postings) and by watching who was reading what at any given time so that even those that had been around awhile could see threads they might have missed about certain discussions...review and BUMP them if of particular interest.

now with the ..whose on line..being gone this cant be done...where we can view what those ***surfing are looking at...***from way older threads to see at a glance...under anonymous and google.

this is what i was referring to...

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 09/22/12 04:32 AM.
Re: FORUM TWEAKING [Re: illusive Fantasy] #424631 09/22/12 10:17 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Dear Illusive Fantasy -

Do you mean you like to see what out of the tens of thousands of posts other people happen to have landed on at a given moment? Sure, that is always here -

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/online

I'm not sure if that's a good way to judge what a new person should start with. Google indexes our entire site all the time. So those are just robots chugging page by page through the index. A new person could do just as well looking at 'active topics' and going page by page through that, because that's all that google and MSN and the other spiders do. And at least by a new user going with 'active topics' they know they were things we updated recently, compared with the spiders who just go top to bottom and then start all over again.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: FORUM TWEAKING [Re: illusive Fantasy] #424641 09/22/12 12:19 PM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
hi Lisa

well until you posted a link to that ...its not here and showing anylonger in the sidebar....

and i did not say for a new person to *start with ...im saying for the older members mostly...this way they get to see threads ...many at a time that they click on to read for the first time maybe then BUMP....

many of these spiders as you call them, bring up and are reading many OLD threads with really GOOD info...that even new members can click on to read instead of starting with recent history where what they are looking for maybe isnt there and buried.

anyway its not in the sidebar anylonger..where you can click from there and view.

Re: FORUM TWEAKING [Re: illusive Fantasy] #424658 09/22/12 06:45 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Dear Illusive Fantasy -

Spiders are robots, so they aren't choosing good threads vs bad threads. They go through the entire forum. When they reach the end they start again. So they are spidering. They are indexing each page and then verifying the page is still there, and then reverifying. They do that all day and all night. It's how google stays up to date.

So a user who wanted to draw benefit from a spider's random activity could do just as well randomly searching on any word and seeing what the results were. New and old members can certainly do that, and if they used words that had meaning to them, they'd get far better results than just watching the spiders spin up and down through our content.

If we wanted to help users it might make more sense to gather lists of "our 50 most popular threads" or "our 10 best threads on breeding" or "our 10 best threads on getting a new keet" or something like that - lists that had meaning and use to them.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: FORUM TWEAKING [Re: illusive Fantasy] #424661 09/22/12 07:03 PM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
Dear Lisa

well gee im sure there is a lot of your members who do just that here that will find your comment about that interesting...

again who is to decide what is a good vs bad thread...until you go to it and read it...and that would be based on again what someone enjoys....at the very least it offers a different route of interest.

so why remove that option??? Its been there a long time. I think those robots serve a purpose....otherwise the giants in the industry would not use them at all.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 09/22/12 07:07 PM.
Re: FORUM TWEAKING [Re: illusive Fantasy] #424663 09/22/12 07:14 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Dear Illusive Fantasy -

Yes absolutely spiders serve a purpose, they are spidering the site. That is what they're programmed to do. They go one thread at a time through the entire site, over and over, to verify that it is there and that the content is the same. I'm not sure that there is any concern that spiders are not serving a purpose. Otherwise I would have blocked them long ago.

Taking the extra sidebar includes down has brought the speed up on the forums measurably. That results in visitors staying longer. That is our ultimate aim, to have visitors stay on the site longer. Every single change we can do to help achieve that goal is healthy for us to prevent the forums from being shut down. If the forums continue on the path of having just 1-2 visitors a day, then they will be discontinued.

I am sorry that you miss some of the options that have been removed. Hopefully the potential of having more active visitors will balance out that loss. We are in a drastic measures phase here. Either these work, or the forum does not go on.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: FORUM TWEAKING [Re: illusive Fantasy] #424670 09/22/12 07:36 PM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
i sort of suspected that was the route you were going is to remove the forum and that would be a real shame...however now there is also no way to see if someone is online same time you are to know if we are posting at the same time and may miss that too...like what just happened with me in answering a budgie post...giggle...

anyway, im not seeing how loading affects the activity but its worth a try for anything i suppose...and there have been lulls before in this forum and then you will get a sudden flourish out of the blue.

i do think if only new folks would check off that notify button for emails that have answered their questions would help if there was someway to encourage that more...people i have spoke to have not done that...in fact i have not done that either but then again ...im in here on and off thru the day anyway all nite and all day...

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 09/22/12 07:39 PM.
Re: FORUM TWEAKING [Re: illusive Fantasy] #424676 09/22/12 07:53 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Dear Illusive Fantasy -

You are exactly right that having people get email messages about replies to their post will help immensely. That's one of the changes I mentioned in my list. I've already made the code change so whenever someone makes a new post or replies to a post that they auto-watch that thread. They can choose to uncheck the box, but by default it now watches.

I am about to run a database-wide change so that everyone is set to get those watch notices emailed by default. Again people can uncheck that, but it will now be the default.

I am greatly hoping that if people start getting email messages when people are responding to them, which is how Facebook and other social networking sites work, that it will draw them back to read the answers and participate. Those are the two main must-dos that I am reading in all my research material. The site has to be as fast as humanly possible, and the user has to get alerts so they know to come back and participate. So I am doing my best in both areas.

Hopefully we will draw them in!

Lisa Shea, Owner
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site