Page 1 of 2 1 2
IF YOU THINK EGG BINDING ISNT SERIOUS #422976 03/09/12 02:10 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline OP
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
i can see where there a many new people here with birds and not knowing some of you the sexes of your birds as yet that this topic needs to be brought up yet still another time to expose you to the seriousness of this...and placing birds together BEFORE knowing their sexes

you should always have a spare cage especially to quarantine as well as give any new keet time to mature AWAY from your others till you know for certainty their sexes.

for those of you with female birds...who may take lightly all the warnings given about females and what to do to prevent ANY STIMULATION or breeding you may want to take the time to read this link from this forum...there are some pretty graphic picutures in the first post...and this bird ...did not make it as the majority wont

prevent this type of agonizing death and read please... your female depends on you and the knowledge you have

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/163419/1

also pay attention to a response on the second page of this thread regarding this and take a moment to read this link as well.

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww32eiv.htm

i keep stressing to those of you with females and those that dont know the sexes of their birds yet and have them caged together(separate them) that this is serious and birds should be separated as soon as possible however i do keep mentioning that even WITHOUT breeding taking place females can still lay eggs and THIS could happen with YOUR birds...

again ill say...REMOVE any stimulation...MALES...shreddie toys...mirrors...nesting type of material on bottom of cage or even any sort of "pacifier toys" or string type items that have loose ends for them to play with...

watch carefully the "gourmet" types of food you feed your females and how often you offer them.

keep a MINERAL block as cuttlebones are NOT enough...and have always on hand some liquid calcium...

next time you think of buying some toys or a play gym invest in that first as well as KWIK STOP.

and pray you NEVER have to go thru this with your females. and of course as always im wishing you and your birds a very long happy healthy relationship laugh

"dont wait till to late...educate"

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 03/09/12 02:23 AM.
Re: IF YOU THINK EGG BINDING ISNT SERIOUS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #422979 03/09/12 05:27 AM
Kathy A Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
Well, that was hard to read. but important too and I'm glad you posted it. I sure would not want to go through that or have my little Pipsqueak go through that!
Does this happen a lot? What happens to budgies in the wild, or do they not go through this? Just curious.

Re: IF YOU THINK EGG BINDING ISNT SERIOUS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #422982 03/09/12 06:41 AM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
THIS does happen A LOT...and no in the wild they have proper food etc...and follow normal daylight triggers an seasons for laying and nesting an raising young...

Re: IF YOU THINK EGG BINDING ISNT SERIOUS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #422986 03/10/12 02:38 AM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Very important useful information!

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: IF YOU THINK EGG BINDING ISNT SERIOUS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #423012 03/11/12 01:23 AM
MarleyandMe Offline
Friend
Friend
Excellent post Illusive, as hard as it is to read.

Bumping it for you smile

Diet plays a HUGE part in helping to avoid Egg Binding, if only people fed their birds the correct diet they are halfway there. frown

Re: IF YOU THINK EGG BINDING ISNT SERIOUS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #423014 03/11/12 01:48 AM
Carol1956 Offline
Regular
Regular
Thanks for sharing this important information.

Re: IF YOU THINK EGG BINDING ISNT SERIOUS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #423019 03/11/12 06:57 AM
wise Offline
Companion
Companion
Illusive, thanks for ya information. It's really horrible and heartbreaking.
Does it hv any sign of egg binding?

Re: IF YOU THINK EGG BINDING ISNT SERIOUS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #423022 03/11/12 09:38 AM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
does what have any sign of egg binding...???? the signs are the pictures you saw and what the rest of the articles say...and your bird act miserable and very much so in pain...extremely loose droppings and very large. extra activity at the cuttlebone or mineral blocks.
you ALL can also add to your readings of this by clicking on this link too.

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww34eiv.htm

thing is wise...you DONT WAIT FOR SIGNS...you do all you can with what was mentioned above to PREVENT...
separate males ..and when birds are out NO visitation to each others cages
NO MIRRORS
do not stimulate also by rubbing their backs
no shreddie toys of any type or anything remotely resembling a nest box or nesting material
remove special toys that a female is a little too fond of
cut back to 8hr days of light and when you cover dim the lights...etc etc
no gourmet foods...veggies very rarely and never parsley ...brocolli...or spinach
smile

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 03/11/12 09:47 AM.
Re: IF YOU THINK EGG BINDING ISNT SERIOUS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #423050 03/13/12 04:20 AM
I
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
im bumping this still one more time as i dont believe to many may have read the new link i posted above regarding how LIGHT becomes a stimulant to females...etc

Re: IF YOU THINK EGG BINDING ISNT SERIOUS [Re: illusive Fantasy] #423059 03/13/12 08:38 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
In the wild many parakeets probably do die of egg binding, their average lifespan in the wild is no more than 5 years while birds that are kept as pets can easily live to 10 or more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site