Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
New Cage? #420972 12/23/11 08:34 PM
M
missheidi Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'm thinking of getting my budgie a larger cage at the beginning of the year. It's only him in the cage, (and his menagerie of toys) so it's not the fact that it's too small...I've just had it in my mind for a while that he deserves more room for him and his toys. This is the current cage: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4186116

So I'm wondering: How much larger should I go? And, is there a certain way to move him and his toys from the old cage to the new cage? Can I just set up the new cage, and move everything right then, or do I need to slowly move a couple of item at a time for a few days to make it smell like him, and then move him?

Thanks!

Re: New Cage? [Re: missheidi] #420973 12/23/11 08:43 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
wow ..that is a very small cage in reality its in now... frown and i believe most of us when first getting a bird have often made the mistake of buying to small then always need to upgrade to a bit larger for sure...just no way there is enough of room for lots of a variety of toys and swing and ladders on n on in those small cages including extra perches and food cups...

here is a picture of a cage that a lot of us have in here ...and it shows all the toys/ food cups /perches /swing you name it for a fun time for cappy where he never gets bored.

this is a cage sold on ebay with free shipping and i believe petco or petsmart sells them also...if you look close you will see him down the bottom on a perch to give you a really good idea how big this cage is...and light weight unlike wrought iron cages which would to me anyway make it hard to clean those or move them...one thing is for sure when you upgrade its not like your gonna be able to HANG them...

you can see there is a lot of toys ...perches of different thicknesses and different angles ...swing...platform perches just a lot of stuff so you really need some room..

this is a HAGEN VISION MO2 model ...like i said you will find some of these in ebay too

it has two side by side doors top and bottom which can open into a drawbrige platform type of landing zone for them when they are out

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 12/23/11 08:45 PM.
Re: New Cage? [Re: missheidi] #420974 12/23/11 08:51 PM
M
missheidi Offline OP
OP Offline
M
You read my mind...I have been eyeballing this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3039776

I was afraid that it was going to be too big...I'm glad to see that it's not smile Does the bottom seem to help with "food droppage"?

As soon as I get it, and put it together, can I go ahead and transfer him to it?

Last edited by missheidi; 12/23/11 08:52 PM.
Re: New Cage? [Re: missheidi] #420975 12/23/11 08:53 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
ooooops sorry forgot about the moving aspect...sometimes when birds are use to being out ...they see you putting it altogether and get involved and so there is no real introduction so to speak needed as they generally have their beaks in the thick of things as your trying to do it all...

you can set it up where he can watch you doing that ...which is what i did and everyone their birds just really took to the cage right away...so i dont think there would be any issues...of course that being said now...the bird is gonna need a couple days to sort of get its bearing an navigate maybe thur his new space but there shouldnt be any problem

other nice things about this cage the doors are not GUILLOTINE style which can be dangerous and all the bars are horizontal which makes things easier for you when setting up perches etc and its believed birds prefer horizonatal for easier climbing

Re: New Cage? [Re: missheidi] #420976 12/23/11 08:56 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
for the bottom kiddo ya know what i do...if you look at the picture...those are the white flexable plastic cutting kitchen boards you find in walmart the kitchen section ...3 to a pack..you just trim them as i did and others to size and they are reusable over n over with just a easy wipe...i love how once you trim its so very easy to wipe down with again...what we use is the sterilizing hand towels and then pop back in the cage and reuse these for a veryyyyyyy long time ...

i love this cage...so do the others that have it ...just be sure its the MO2 model so the bar spacing is the right size of no more than 1/2 inch...they have several models that look very close to this...thats why i said be sure its the MO2...

and check ebay too IT MAY VERY WELL BE CHEAPER...i think all the rest of us bought ours from EBAY

that model in your link is the SO 2 go for the MO2

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 12/23/11 08:59 PM.
Re: New Cage? [Re: missheidi] #420977 12/23/11 09:00 PM
M
missheidi Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks! I'll make sure it's the MO2 model.

Re: New Cage? [Re: missheidi] #420978 12/23/11 09:01 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
OMG AND WOW yes the SO 2 is smaller and more expensive than the MO 2 thru ebay...geeeeesh they charge ya a lot lol ...do it thru EBAY like we all did ...they got the MO 2 which is larger and CHEAPER with free shipping

Re: New Cage? [Re: missheidi] #420979 12/23/11 09:03 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I

Re: New Cage? [Re: missheidi] #420980 12/24/11 12:51 AM
ahall83 Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
i have to agree. that is a great cage. i also have it for my keet. i also have the larger l12 for my cockatiel. i actually got my cage from the same seller that illusive linked you too. so i can also attest to them being a good seller. it is even cheaper now than when i bought it at the beginning of the year.

this is a link to my album in photoshop that i made for someone who was wanting to see the cage. it has lots of pics of all the diff parts. hope it helps you. note though. there are pics of both cages. both cages are essentially the same just my cockatiel cage is larger and has brown accessories instead of green. the bar spacing is also diff. so like illusive said stick with the mo2

http://s955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/ahall83/hagen%20cage/

Re: New Cage? [Re: missheidi] #420982 12/24/11 05:26 AM
Kathy A Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
Question, do you have to take the bottom off to clean it?
Thanks, Kathy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site