Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I've tried everything... #418399 09/22/11 08:02 PM
Kirby&Yoshi Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
I got a new baby lovebird a few weeks ago, and I had to hand train him/her myself because this batch of babies wasn't used to people handling them... I can't get him to stop being scared of me. I used Lisa's method of training, because every time I approached the cage or went to go change the food/water he would get really scared and climb to the farthest part of his cage away from me. So I tried gently walking up to his cage quite a few times over the course of a day, talking to him gently and just trying to be as nonthreatening as possible, but to no luck. I have no idea what to do because this is the first time this hasn't worked with my birds... Any help?

Re: I've tried everything... [Re: Kirby&Yoshi] #418405 09/22/11 08:58 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
everything in the birds time...just sit by the cage without your hand always being inside to have to do something which is like this HUGE CLAW to a bird...

sit there make yourself comfortable and do this for 15min twice maybe even three times a day so the bird doesnt always think your gonna eat or grab it when you approach...

this may take a week or even more but you dont want to rush or push the bird thru this very critical time...always move slow always speak softly very softly...

when your done...at the say midday sitting approach ...attach some nice big green leafy veggie to the outside of the cage so that doesnt frighten it either for awhile...when it tries to eat some thru the bars it will then associate you with being a good food time an will see you less as a threat and will even look forward to having you come to visit and talk with it smile

be sure your the only family member for now to do this too and be sure your cage is large as small cages make you and your hand even more intimadating to them ...as they have no where to go to feel safe in a small cage

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 09/22/11 09:01 PM.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/28/20 09:13 PM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site