Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
One parakeet or two? #417187 08/31/11 05:13 PM
P
Pat Connelly Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi! Right now I am looking into buying a parakeet but I am undecided as to whether I should get one or more. Will they still form a strong bond with me(I was told they will bond with each other and ignore me but I don't think thats true). Also will they form a bond with one family member or all. Thanks!

Re: One parakeet or two? [Re: Pat Connelly] #417188 08/31/11 05:20 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
hi and welcome aboard...i would strongly suggest reading this thread regarding getting two as you wont know the sex till it reaches 7 months old at least and quarantining is a must with two of 90 days ideally in SEPARATE cages ...so i think one is best

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthread...EGG_#Post161612

two WILL make it harder to have them bond to anyone...

keets are friendly to all they love their human flock mates AFTER they are completely perch...and hand trained...

save yourself some issues and get one and do not spare the pennies on a LARGE cage even for one bird as when you put in extra perches and toys your space or rather the birds will dwindle quick... or you will need to do as so many ...spend more getting a LARGE cage down the road....and remember bar spacing 1/2 in is the max ..width and height are important so the bigger and i do mean bigger ...the better...and id suggest getting a quality cage and all your things first...make sure cage is also coated wire for lead and metal toxicity issues

many of us use HAGEN VISION cages...this is a hagen vision cage and a great size...to give you a idea of how big it is for him (Cappy) INSIDE even with all the toys etc...you can find him on the bottom perch in there giggle if you look close

i believe petco maybe even petsmart now sells hagen vision cages but ebay usually has them cheaper even with shipping cost...so check our both places price wise...i got mine from ebay.

here is one on ebay now and its free shipping and the same cage viewed above...and you will never have to think of upgrading for any reason with this cage...and the coating more specifically even the wire under the coating is safer than any other cage out there...for metal toxicity issues

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hagen-83255-Visi...=item53e8963493

and the seller has a high reputation rating...smaller $50 cages are cheaply made...and these are what you usually find in most stores...and they are quite small

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 08/31/11 06:00 PM.
Re: One parakeet or two? [Re: Pat Connelly] #417193 08/31/11 08:33 PM
P
Pat Connelly Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thank you so much illusive Fantasy for the info. I'll take your advice and just get one budgie and I'm going to order this cage. I just have a few more questions. What do you recomend for their diet 50% pellet 50% veggies and fruit; seeds, etc and what are good food brands to feed.

Last edited by Pat Connelly; 08/31/11 08:40 PM.
Re: One parakeet or two? [Re: Pat Connelly] #417194 08/31/11 08:36 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
again welcome to the forum and i know you will be very happy as one keet can fill your heart to the brim...and that cage...im sure you will love it also

also you MUST do two things lol...keep us apprised of whats going on and you will need photos too as we are all photo hungry here giggle

oh i forgot to mention another advantage to this cage you usually dont find is its all horizontal bars

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 08/31/11 08:43 PM.
Re: One parakeet or two? [Re: Pat Connelly] #417195 08/31/11 08:47 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
oooops sorry forgot to get to your other question about foods ...got some more reading for ya smile please read this thread...in its entire beginning to end...ill keep ya busy lol till you get your cage and bird smile

i strongly do not recommend pellets or any fortified commercial seed diets...i believe its explained why in this thread...

but many are now going organic and keets are not big fruit eaters...

but start with this reading and if you have more questions ill be more than happy to answer you

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/414737/Re_Good_food#Post414737

oh you may have missed where i added to the above post that another advantage to this cage is its all horizontal bars and flat top area for a play area

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 08/31/11 08:53 PM.
Re: One parakeet or two? [Re: Pat Connelly] #417197 08/31/11 09:54 PM
*6 budgie nutz* Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Keets are not big fruit eaters? Really? My parakeets LOVE fruits. and just about everyother bird I have ever owned loved fruits specally apples.

TEEKA R.I.P 6-1-07 R.i.p meeko 8-20-2010
allaboutkeets.cabanova.com
Re: One parakeet or two? [Re: Pat Connelly] #417198 08/31/11 10:00 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
your among the few and the lucky ...it pays to keep offering but in general they really are not big fruit eaters and love their veggies unlike human kids wink

Re: One parakeet or two? [Re: Pat Connelly] #417201 08/31/11 10:12 PM
*6 budgie nutz* Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I havent had much luck with other fruits, mostly apples, of course no seeds or cores. mostly they will peck at the other things but they love themselves some apples. and broccoli is a big hit with my bunch.

TEEKA R.I.P 6-1-07 R.i.p meeko 8-20-2010
allaboutkeets.cabanova.com
Re: One parakeet or two? [Re: Pat Connelly] #417204 08/31/11 10:41 PM
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Bob started liking fruit lately and he has Tom eating some too. They eat peaches, tomatoes, watermelon but will not touch any berries. They are big on veggies and I think they must think the fruit is veggies! lol

I started with one breeder hand fed baby which was Bob and after I spent oodles of time with him and got him very human bonded, then I got Tom and he is quickly getting human bonded because of Bob. I would get one and wait at least 4 months.

Re: One parakeet or two? [Re: Pat Connelly] #417238 09/01/11 01:46 AM
P
Pat Connelly Offline OP
OP Offline
P
OK thanks for the info. I have a hedgehog and I thought at first his diet recommneded on forums was confusing, that had nothing on this laugh So you recommend not feeding commercial diets, so veggies and the organic seed mix everyday(is it like 50/50 ) and do you mix the bobs red mill grains with the seed evryday?Also how often do they moult? Thanks and I'm probably going to have more questions lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site