Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
my bird is dying #408059 01/13/11 02:57 PM
H
hatdancer Offline OP
OP Offline
H
My parakeet started vomiting last night, and this morning is covered in it, unable to clean him self and fluffed up, sleeping, it looks like there is not much time left. I have been unemployed since June and have called numerous Avian Doctors in the area and they all do not take payment plans ( i did not qualify). Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any doctors (Northern Illinois area) that could help?

Re: my bird is dying [Re: hatdancer] #408070 01/13/11 08:57 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Sorry to hear this hatdancer. If I remember correctly, you've had your bird or birds to an Avian vet in the past haven't you? And since you are already an established patient won't they help and bill you for it with a payment plan???
That's just horrible that they won't work out a payment plan.grrrr It always comes down to the almighty dollar, nevermind the well being of the animal!
I'm not familiar with this place myself, but someone posted a link to it here the other day. It's in Illinois but I don't know the area so idk how close to you it is. http://www.olliesparrotsperch.com/ It's a bird rescue so MAYBE they can help? Worth a shot?
In thee meantime..any other symptoms and did it come on suddenly or has he been "off" for a while?
Be sure to keep him warm so he doesn't have to use his energy to keep warm. Heating pad under grate and cover cage? Or up your thermostat?
Is he eating? Have you tried maybe some cooked rice if he'll eat cooked foods? Or maybe a little babyfood sweet potatoes or carrots mixed with a bit of seed might be easier on his stomach? Just a little coating of the babyfood not a big mush deal.
Let us know how things go
LUCK

Re: my bird is dying [Re: kksuns] #408072 01/13/11 09:31 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
im so very sorry to hear this news...its never ever easy to go thru a hour or even a day of a beloved pet who is ill and dying...its heart wrenching...

try to know that you did the best you could with the knowledge you maybe have had to give your pet the best of a happy life while you had it...

then learn alllll you can about keet care before you maybe decide to get another of these charming little birds.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 01/13/11 09:32 PM.
Re: my bird is dying [Re: illusive Fantasy] #408073 01/13/11 09:53 PM
jilly Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I hope you are able to find some care for your little guy. maybe show up with him at the vet and ask if they think there is hope? Sometimes looking at a creature in pain will move people to be more helpful than they are on the phone.

I feel your pain and I am sorry. Your poor little baby.

Jilly
LisaShea.com Forum Moderator
Frugal Living Editor at BellaOnline.com
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile
Re: my bird is dying [Re: jilly] #408085 01/13/11 11:13 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
HatDancer -

Which vets have you tried? That would help us know which ones not to list as we do searches for you.

There is an animal hospital specifically for birds - which is fairly rare - in Elmwood Park, Illinois -

http://www.midwestexotichospital.com/

Did you try that one?

Good luck, and I wish the best for your parakeet! Definitely keep him quiet, warm, and near you if possible. When our birds get sick and immobile we tend to put them into a smaller travel cage, with a soft bottom, and the food and water right there. That way they can get to everything very easily. Like a little "sick bed".

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: my bird is dying [Re: Lisa Shea] #408112 01/14/11 02:11 AM
H
hatdancer Offline OP
OP Offline
H
yeah i tried that one and quite a few wthin 30 miles of that

Re: my bird is dying [Re: hatdancer] #408119 01/14/11 02:54 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
my heart hurts for you both. this year i lost 2 of my keets of 8 yrs within months of each other. the hurt is undiscribeable... i'm sorry i can't say more... if/when the time comes, be sure your friend is comfortable and calm. it knows who you are and will never forget you and it will never ever blame you.
love is forever.

baby blue
Re: my bird is dying [Re: baby blue] #408135 01/14/11 05:37 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
OK how about the Chicago Exotics Animals Hospital?

http://www.exoticpetvet.com/

If you can give us a list of the ones you've tried it'll make it easier for us to help you find as many alternatives as we can!

Also - payment plans are just personal loans. Can you get a personal loan at your bank which might have cheaper interest rates?

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: my bird is dying [Re: Lisa Shea] #408139 01/14/11 05:45 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Dear HatDancer -

I have made up a thread for you on ways to pay for emergency pet care - there are a variety of options!

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/408138

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: my bird is dying [Re: Lisa Shea] #408157 01/14/11 06:41 AM
H
hatdancer Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks for the Help. I took him to Elmwood (this time had to slightly bend the truth on the credit app) and he will probably be ok, ...Im not going to be OK with the $400-$900 bill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site