Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Holding on for Dear Life #401870 06/01/10 07:01 PM
Belesaria Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Hi, I got my bird Newton about a month ago now, and she's been doing really well with training. I only moved from one step to the next when I was certain she was comfortable with the step we were on. So today I got her to the door of her cage on my hand. I let her sit there a while, eating millet, then put her back in her cage. Our next session, I took her just inches out of her cage, with the millet in my other hand, and she fluttered to the ground and made a run for it. I calmly followed her, and when she'd run herself into a corner, I got as low as I could and slowly offered her my finger to step onto. She wouldn't budge.

After pressing my finger lightly against her chest several times, I got up and got her travel cage, then put that open in front of her. She hopped on top of it, so I slowly took it over to her big cage, and after a few minutes she let go of the travel cage and hopped back to safety. Now when I try to get her on my finger, she holds on to her perch for dear life. I even went back to using a short perch, and she wouldn't let go of the one she was on.

Do you think she'll be okay? I hope I haven't traumatized her. Should I go back a few steps in her training? I feel bad, since she had been doing so well. I guess I pushed her a bit too fast.

Re: Holding on for Dear Life [Re: Belesaria] #401871 06/01/10 07:24 PM
Belesaria Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Update: I gave Newton a while to cool off, and now she's fine hopping up on my finger again.

Re: Holding on for Dear Life [Re: Belesaria] #401877 06/01/10 08:26 PM
Jessica Cole Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Haha! I was just going to say give her time to cool off. I'm glad that everything is back to normal. : )

Re: Holding on for Dear Life [Re: Jessica Cole] #401891 06/02/10 12:39 AM
JeanneM Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Yeah, I think she was confused and excited at the same time. She's probably right now exactly where you left off in her training. She had a field trip. No sweat. BTW she looks adorable. I got my Chippy 5 weeks ago and he has been advancing really fast in just the past few days. I think Newton is doing great.

JeanneM

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site