Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is this vet bill and exam a bit too much? #397360 03/20/10 05:45 PM
B
bjs Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so apologies if this has been discussed at length before.

I recently had one of my two 'keets pass away after over six healthy years with me (he was adopted so I don't know his actual age). So... I bought a new one from a decent pet store. I kept it separate for awhile, its stools were normal and it seems healthy, nervous maybe, and fairly young. So I took it for a well-birdy exam. It got diarrhea when I first brought it from the pet store, but that cleared up immediately. It also got it as soon as I put it in the carrier to go to the vet. The vet noted the diarrhea and orderd a stool sample and to start the bird on antibiotics. I explained that he appears to have major stress-diarrhea, but she still said it was necessary. (Total so far: $56). Then she ordered a blood panel at $169, Chlamydia DNA, $65, vitamin shot because he looked unhealthy to her ($21), Polyoma ($65), Fluids SQ ($25), "LA" ($21) ... I would have gotten out of there for $472, since the visit itself was $50. She never once took him out of the cage (an assistant had previously weighed him) and handled him, as I expected her to do.

IS THIS TYPICAL?? I took MrBlueTwo home and said I would just return him to the pet store, since they said they would take sick birds back. Actually - his diarrhea cleared up instantly and it's been a week since the vet visit and he seems fine. BUT - I don't think he got much of an exam, under the circumstances.

What would you all do? I have only had parakeets for a little over six years. The one who died was my first, and I rescued him from a local park and just ended up keeping him.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Re: Is this vet bill and exam a bit too much? [Re: bjs] #397361 03/20/10 05:51 PM
Millicent Blue Offline
Sounds a Bit high to me Seeing the parakeet probaly cost 100'xs less then that. I took my parakeet to the vet one time i had her 15yrs and the cost was under $40 i believe it was even less. I had a Dog who had mulitple issues but even her vet bill wasnt never that high. I could be wrong, but looks fishy to me!!

Re: Is this vet bill and exam a bit too much? [Re: Millicent Blue] #397362 03/20/10 06:13 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
What sounds most fishy to me is that the vet never actually examined your keet! The vitamin shot too seems unusual. The retail price of the animal has nothing to do with vet bills.

The lab work can really add up quickly. I once spent $400+ when Emily was sick. I believe when I took Heneri for his well bird checkup it was $90. It could have been more but I only had the tests for psittacosis and another bird disease done.

Its okay to ask for an explanation of what the test will reveal to help determine how necessary it is. I turned down the test to determine H's blood levels.

Where you live can make a difference in price as was this a board certified avian vet.

Welcome to the forum!

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Is this vet bill and exam a bit too much? [Re: cyberbud] #397364 03/20/10 07:50 PM
Millicent Blue Offline
I agree completely the bill has nothing to do with the value of the bird. Its not what i meant, but when it comes to the health of an animal As pet owners we are naive cause we truely dont know what is needed and why its needed. Which makes us have to be more careful and more aware of what procedures vets are performing and why. Many and Many people have been taken advantage of by (Some)vets for a long period of time, its been investigated. I thank god that i have a good vet who doesnt do that, They didnt even charge me for putting my pet dog to sleep. They sent presents in memory of her. I feel this vet took advantage of her love for her bird. Like i said i can be wrong. smile If you have friends with pets ask them what vet they use, alot of time you can save time and money just by word of mouth.

Re: Is this vet bill and exam a bit too much? [Re: Millicent Blue] #397366 03/20/10 09:48 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
this vet relied on the assistants evaluation which is totally wrong ..the vet should of done a hands on exam and ANY handling so there isnt two or more handling and stressing out the bird even more..she has to try to treat for what she sees so i agree with treating for diarrhea treatment..overall exam ..weight..and the test for chlamydia(pisticossis *sp) but thats it. She can suggest things its up to you to decide what is enuf for that particular trip depending on why your there...this was for a initial wellness exam as from what you say the bird (cept for the diarrhea) seemed ok HOWEVER that being said..diarrhea can be a prelude to some underlying problems..so as i said i agree with her treating for that and even doing a stool sample for parasites. I also wouldnt complain about her eagerness this shows she is VERY THOROUGH a good vet..id rather her be that way than NOT. Bottom line always have a vet explain test and what they are for then use your own logic to see if it all sounds necessary so quickly...IF other symptons should start to show ..and id KEEP A SHARP EYE ON THE BIRD...then id get back immediately for the other test.

Re: Is this vet bill and exam a bit too much? [Re: illusive Fantasy] #397371 03/21/10 12:46 AM
JeanneM Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
So, did you get any results from all those tests?

JeanneM
Re: Is this vet bill and exam a bit too much? [Re: Millicent Blue] #397379 03/21/10 02:35 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Originally Posted By: Millicent Blue
Sounds a Bit high to me Seeing the parakeet probaly cost 100'xs less then that.

No offense intended...but as it was written I didn't see any other interpretation at the time. As I'm sure you know this attitude is common.

I hope all is well with the op's keet.

Cheers!

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Is this vet bill and exam a bit too much? [Re: bjs] #397392 03/21/10 04:02 AM
joandboys Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I also believe the vet should have done a hands on examination. My Avian vet held my bird and examined the stomach and pulled back the eyelids to check for dehydration and was going to weigh my bird by putting it in a sling. I told her that they would step on the scale and fecal sample and tests for disease was part of it. An initial well bird exam is always more expensive and a yearly exam is always a good idea. As for the price, as stated by others, an avian vet is always more expensive but you pay for what you get. If she thought your bird had diarhea because it was ill then giving it a shot of vitamins while it was there was the least of your expenses and was probably a good idea. If you came back later because it needed something else, you would have paid for the office visit again.

If you wonder if the prices are too high, it is a simple thing to call around to avian vets and enquire what the fee is for the proceedures you had done.

By the way, I highly recommend getting Pet insurance. I personally have VPI Pet insurance and I pay $16.90 per month that covers part of the costs for normal proceedures and visits as well as emergency stuff and proceedures like surgery. It pays for itself the first time you go for a yearly check up. You just go online and they send you the policy and you tell them all about your bird's health. Since you just had yours in and he is healthy this is a good time before he gets sick with anything else.

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Is this vet bill and exam a bit too much? [Re: joandboys] #397396 03/21/10 04:40 AM
B
bjs Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks, everyone, for your replies!
I have gotten a recommendation from a neighbor who has kept birds (love-birds) for years for a different avian vet. I did not have the tests done at the first vet mainly because I really did feel that my bird was getting a bad exam. Her assistant only handled MrBlueTwo to put him in a box and weigh him - I did not notice her doing any exam. After the vet looked in the box at him and wrote up the list of tests, she left the room. The assistant came back in, with the computer-generated bill for me to sign. I asked her what some of the items were - like "LA" and "Fluids SQ" - she was unable to tell me, so she wasn't much of an assistant. She went out to ask the vet, and I really thought the vet might come back and explain them to me, since I obviously still had questions. When she did not, that kind of made up my mind that I would just pay for the visit and leave. I have since talked with several neighbors who have gone to the same animal hospital (for dogs, not birds) but they have all stopped going, mainly because they were encouraged to do treatments that didn't seem to be helpful.

I do understand that avian vets are more expensive than regular ones and I'm more than willing to pay for their expertise, but without a better explanation or bed-side manner, I'm not willing to go back to this particular vet.

Buttercup and Cookie and Sweetie are BEAUTIFUL!

Re: Is this vet bill and exam a bit too much? [Re: bjs] #397397 03/21/10 05:03 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
I'm so glad to hear you found a better vet for your keets.

It really sounds like the vet you initially visited was pushing product, not your birds well being.

Kathy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by latinkaone - 06/06/22 08:53 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site