Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Feral cat #397132 03/15/10 02:33 AM
Niki Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
Okay, so I finally did good research. I had previous topics about my problems with Chai and it became too emotional for me.

http://www.aspca.org/adoption/feral-cats-faq.html#strayferal

Suggests feral cats can not be socialized. Neither will shelters take them. So they suggest keeping feral cats in their natural habitat: outside.

Fact is, we can't keep her. She's terrorizing our elderly cat to the point where he's been pooing around the house because she guards the liter box. The 2 girl cats can't eat and are forced to stay in my parents bedroom. And she recently got to our bird and busted up the cage really good. Cloud (budgie) has a bloody cere now (see topic in Health).

I'm still emotional about it, but I've faced the facts. I'm just wondering how i should handle this. We've been thinking we should introduce her to the outdoors and have her be a permanent outdoor cat. What do you think?

Re: Feral cat [Re: Niki] #397135 03/15/10 04:13 AM
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
In my experience with rescuing ferals, (my aunt owns a feral rescue) some can indeed warm up and do an about face, but it's rare, and most do not. They are, for all intents and purposes, wild animals.

It may be best to allow her to be an outdoor cat. Although this means, annual vet check ups, extra vaccinations, making sure she is micro chipped, licenced according to your city by-laws, has a collar with tags, and that you have some money put aside in case of unexpected vet visits from accidents and injuries.

...That being said, in the end, you have to do whats best for your family, both furry, feathered and otherwise.

Re: Feral cat [Re: 428pm] #397160 03/16/10 01:44 AM
Niki Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
I actually found a great forum source for people who tame and rescue feral cats! They suggested I get a taming cage, and slowly try to tame her. Which I was actually thinking about.

Which is great. Because I spent all day crying, I just can't give her up. I came home from work today and she ran to the door to greet me. I just can't. So I'll do the right thing and cage tame her.

Re: Feral cat [Re: Niki] #397162 03/16/10 01:50 AM
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Im happy to hear that! I know one of my aunt ferals was flat out vicious. Even I was hesitant to med him, and Im pretty brave about doing that. Ive even had my aunt's vet call me in, lol.

But Igor was scary.

She cage tamed him, and surprisingly, he is one of the nicest cats in her house now. He is timid, will not come to you when people are around. But in quiet moments, he sits on your lap and purrs now.

Good luck!

Re: Feral cat [Re: 428pm] #397174 03/16/10 06:31 AM
jilly Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Good luck, Niki. I have a feral cat who is extremely sweet (came with the house, apparently). But all the other ferals in the neighborhood won't even approach me. I think it's a case by case thing.

But Faramir is here in the RV with me. I don't know if i will be able to take her when we leave. How will an outdoor cat do on the road in a motorhome fulltime? This is a tough call.

Good luck with the cage taming. I would love to hear all the updates and breakthroughs are you experience them.

Jilly
LisaShea.com Forum Moderator
Frugal Living Editor at BellaOnline.com
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by rxonlinesecure - 05/20/22 08:53 AM
Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians
by dfdchgf - 05/18/22 12:04 PM
Architecture photography challeng
by latinkaone - 05/16/22 09:30 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site