Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
keet fighting #392159 12/27/09 09:17 PM
K
Keet_Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi, I'm new to the forums and I have a question about my four keets. Two are male and two are female, and the two females have lived together about a month, and then the two males were added to the cage at separate times in the following two weeks. They all behave quite well together except for Terra, one of the green females who has developed quite an attitude, knocking keets off perches and food dishes. She mainly attacks Aurora, the other female (who she had no issues with before). I'm trying to figure out why this is happening! It's very confusing because she will even feed the two males sometimes, maybe even Aurora, I don't know for sure though I haven't visually seen it. Aurora has even gotten to the point to know when to "run" because she sees Terra begin to make her move climbing around the cage to antagonize her. The cage has two food dishes and two water tubes. I'm going to buy two more food dishes so that the birds each their own food dish, but I'm not sure this is going to fully solve the problem. What should I do!?

Thanks!
David

Re: keet fighting [Re: Keet_Dave] #392164 12/28/09 12:22 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
simple you have too many in one cage...and ill bet your cage isnt big enough for all four so you have some territorial problems and if everyone was getting along why did you throw the males with the females...i think if you want babies...YOU need to read up on all of this...as you wouldnt do this even if you did want babies this is NOT a ideal situation and SEPARATION IS ADVISED

Re: keet fighting [Re: illusive Fantasy] #392165 12/28/09 01:04 AM
peepers14 Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
I agree with illusive, do you have enough food/water bowls?

I Luv Budgies!
Re: keet fighting [Re: peepers14] #392171 12/28/09 02:35 AM
K
Keet_Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
K
its a rather large cage to me, 25" wide, 22" tall, and 12.5" deep. I have 3 large food bowls and 2 water tubes. They sure don't fight over water. I'm trying something different too. I have always been playing some nice piano music for them, and lately I haven't kept up on it as much as I have been, and I noticed today that when I turned it on, they were very calm and relaxed, so I'm betting it might have some thing to do with it being too quiet and them being nervous? We'll see how it goes...

Re: keet fighting [Re: Keet_Dave] #392172 12/28/09 03:25 AM
K
Keet_Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
K
well, they didn't stop fighting. I put terra in the separate cage for right now... what should I do? I don't want her to be lonely. Should I leave her in this cage for awhile and then put her back and see if they are okay? Any help is appreciated! I want my keets to all be happy!

Re: keet fighting [Re: Keet_Dave] #392174 12/28/09 03:51 AM
Puds Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Actually that cage is too small for 2 budgies........let alone 4. 4 budgies need at LEAST 15,300 cubic inches (times height, length and width)

They may be fighting for space, breeding rights and general "best space in cage" Females have a rep for being a bit agressive. And seeing how when you brought the males in the budgie started to get agressive i would say she wants everyone to know she is top bird. She may not be loney alone, if she has toys, plenty of outside time and wated interaction with her other birdies

New pics soon smile
Re: keet fighting [Re: Puds] #392175 12/28/09 03:58 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
GO BACK TO HOW YOU FIRST HAD IT...two females together an two males..people telling you that cage is not big enough for four or three and they were fine till you switched them out

Re: keet fighting [Re: illusive Fantasy] #392178 12/28/09 04:52 AM
K
Keet_Dave Offline OP
OP Offline
K
they are all together again, i took a few toys out to give them more room, i had a big "cozy hut" thing that they have never used yet so that freed up alot of space. this is the cage: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753629

On another note, they aren't fighting as much now. Terra still sometimes will peck at Aurora if she comes near, but she doesn't purposefully chase her about the cage anymore. They actually sat on the same branch next to each other for about 15 minutes with no quarrel.

Re: keet fighting [Re: Keet_Dave] #392179 12/28/09 05:08 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
sighhhhhhh i have a bigger cage for just ONE. You have FOUR..im done here...good luck

Re: keet fighting [Re: illusive Fantasy] #392181 12/28/09 06:12 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Not that my voice will make any difference...but I have a flight cage for 2 parakeets. Take the advice given above. Your birds don't have enough room to spread their wings.

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site