Boy and girl parakeet together? #387166 10/25/09 10:42 PM
N
Nacho. Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
N
Hey I have a question.
I have my 3 year old female parakeet and we just bought a baby boy parakeet. Currently they are in two different cages. When the boy is tame and if the birds get along would it be a bad idea to house them together? Is it better to just keep them in different cages and let them play together outside of the cage? Thanks

Re: Boy and girl parakeet together? [Re: Nacho.] #387181 10/26/09 01:57 AM
D
DaMostLoved Offline
Companion
Companion
D
From what I've read and seen, after you put the new bird through a quarantine period, it's ok to house them together. It all depends on the birds' personalities and whether they enjoy living with each other. I've read other member's experiences with introductions haven't gone as smoothly as they thought they would. Maybe they can give you some pointers when you're ready to try. Mine have always lived together cuz I got them basically at the same time.
The only thing to keep in mind besides that is that if you put a male and a female together, there's always the possibility they might mate. That's something to think about if you're not planning to breed them.

Re: Boy and girl parakeet together? [Re: DaMostLoved] #387188 10/26/09 03:14 AM
N
Nacho. Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
N
Yeah the breeding thing is my main concern although it wouldn't be too terrible if they had babies. We'll see how it goes the new bird's very social and Nacho isn't so much so she might get really annoyed by him lol.

Re: Boy and girl parakeet together? [Re: Nacho.] #387195 10/26/09 05:26 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
How old is the new bird? Sometimes its really tricky to tell the gender until they're older...

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Boy and girl parakeet together? [Re: cyberbud] #387217 10/26/09 06:04 PM
Sprite97 Offline
Companion
Companion
Yes they are right unless you want them to breed, Its best you not have them in the same cage there are ways to discourage breeding but it still can happen. Also it is more things to breeding than most people know there are many problems that can occur and it could even result in death.
I am not trying to scare you just want to let you know what can happen
Here is a great post on breeding if you decide to

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=169056#Post169056

Sprite the man
Re: Boy and girl parakeet together? [Re: Sprite97] #387221 10/26/09 07:10 PM
N
Nacho. Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
N
The birds a baby. He has black eyes and stripes all the way to his beak. The cere is a purplish color with blue around the nostils. He's a very pretty blue and so far he's adjusting well smile

I probably won't purposely breed them so we'll keep them seaparte. I don't want them getting too attached to eachother anyway.

Re: Boy and girl parakeet together? [Re: Nacho.] #387228 10/26/09 08:55 PM
Sprite97 Offline
Companion
Companion
Well for know i dont think there is much to worry about since the new one is a baby and i believe they cannot breed till they are 1 year old. But of course others on here will have different opinions

Sprite the man

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site