LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: tweetymom] #386983 10/23/09 01:02 PM
Z
zoomom Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Paco has an appointment this morning. I did notice that he has been sleeping a lot the last few days. I just thought he was catching up on all the sleep he lost from the female chasing him around.
He did try to eat a little last night so I am hoping that is a good sign. He is just having trouble seeing the bowl, when I hold it up to him it's like he is struggling to keep his head from turning and can't focus on where the food is.
I'll let you know what the vet says.. I hope it isn't $100.00.. I'll have to cancel my own appointment with the doc if it is. The things I do for my pets....

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: zoomom] #386988 10/23/09 05:07 PM
Z
zoomom Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Took Paco to the vet this morning. He didn't want to stress him out with doing too much but he did a throat swab, fecal culture, felt his keel etc. He said it looks as though he is having a seizure and that without doing a more thorough exam he can't tell what it is. Mentioned inner ear infection, brain tumor, encephalitis but could not determine with out blood work and running more tests. He said doing those tests would probably kill him. He said that he is very sick and doesn't think he will make it very long. He suggested thinking about putting him to sleep.
After looking at the throat swab he said that he had some bacteria in his throat and that if I wanted to try, I could take him home and give him antibiotics and feed him some powdered formula that they gave me to feed him every hour today.
Paco put up a fight when the doc picked him up and that's more than what he did last night. I couldn't put him to sleep, I have to at least give him a chance. When I went to get him for his appointment this morning he was sitting on his stick.. He didn't do that at all yesterday. He just stayed on the bottom of his cage.
I am hoping for the best. I am supposed to call the vet back at 6pm today.

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: zoomom] #386989 10/23/09 05:08 PM
Z
zoomom Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Oh and you were right... It was $104.00

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: zoomom] #386995 10/23/09 07:18 PM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Aww! I'm so sorry this is happening. Poor little thing. How is he now? I guess it's too soon to tell, huh. It's only been an hour or so since you last posted. Did he say anything about the chance of the other budgies in your home catching it or if it's contagious?

I will be praying for him and you. So the vet wouldn't
speculate on the chances of him recovering? Anyway keep us posted.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: tweetymom] #387005 10/23/09 09:52 PM
D
DaMostLoved Offline
Companion
Companion
D
It is so sad to hear this frown I'm sorry you and your birdie have to go through this. Hopefully the vet was wrong and Paco can have a quick recovery and go back to normal. Like tweetymom said, keep us posted.

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: DaMostLoved] #387077 10/24/09 03:02 PM
Z
zoomom Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
This morning I expected the worst but Paco was alive and sleeping when I got up. He even ate some seeds. I have to give him his medicine and it seems like he gets really stressed out. After I give him the medicine he just sits in the cage and looks worse than he did before. The vet said to feed him every hour yesterday but after a few hours he was just looking worse and worse after every feeding. I let a couple of hours go by between the feeding and he seemed to do a little better. Today I only have to feed him 6 to 8 times so it won't be so stressful for him. He ate some seed so I am thinking to only feed him the 6 times and not 8.
The vet did say that he probably wouldn't live much longer when I was there and when they called to see how he was doing yesterday they were surprised that he was still hanging on.
The vet also said that the female attacking him is typical of birds. When one gets sick they are considered a weak member of the flock and will get picked on.
I also wanted to say Thank You to everyone that posted with their thoughts, advice and prayers. It is nice to know that there are people out there willing to help a stranger when they are in need. I appreciate all the comments and concern and all of the posts were truly helpful.
I am hopeful that Paco will make it smile. I will keep you all posted!

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: zoomom] #387078 10/24/09 03:24 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Aww zoomom, I am so sorry you and little Paco have to go through so much. Sending prayers and positive vibes your way that the little guy will get his strength back and recover. (((())))
He's soo lucky to have you as a mom. You're doing all you can and then some. Hang in there!
Did the vet mention to be sure to keep him warm? I think it's very important for sick budgies.

Last edited by kksuns; 10/24/09 03:25 PM.

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: kksuns] #387087 10/24/09 04:12 PM
Z
zoomom Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Did the vet mention to be sure to keep him warm? I think it's very important for sick budgies. [

Yes, there is a heating pad under his cage..

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: zoomom] #387090 10/24/09 04:32 PM
Ziggy Offline
Companion
Companion
omg this is terrible im so sorry that this is happening to the little guy. hopefully everything will be ok and he will hang in there and make it through. best of wishes =)

-Mitchell

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: Ziggy] #387104 10/24/09 10:55 PM
Ziggy Offline
Companion
Companion
how is he any good news?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site