What is it?

Is it useful?

Is it abused?

Is it fair?

Is it sensible?

Is it morally right?

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
'Racial profiling is the inclusion of racial or ethnic characteristics in determining whether a person is considered likely to commit a particular type of crime or an illegal act or to behave in a "predictable" manner.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_profiling

See also:
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=385006&page=1

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Racial Profiling [Re: PDM] #385013 09/21/09 08:44 AM
CassandraM_89 Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
OK Personally I think it is very useful, it may be wrong but I have always and will always do it, I have friends of many races and they are all good people but I always profile not just to African American people but everyone, I live in a very dangerous city and the population are drug dealers, sex offenders and gang bangers.

My grandmother hired a group of 5 men (African American) to work on her house, they were very VERY "gangster" type, pants sagging, do rags, the whole getup. I told her not to trust them but she didn't listen to me, she said "Cass...It's wrong to judge people by appearance, give them a chance." a month later they disappeared with $85,000 that my grandmother had given them...I do know that their are good people out there and I respect them, if they were good people they wouldn't be wearing saggy jeans, do rags and have a curse word fly out of their mouth every 5 seconds. . .

Once Erick and I were in Vegas getting ready to get in an elevator when 4 very scummy looking men (hispanic) went in right in front of us, I had a bad feeling, they held the door open for us and I was very apprehensive, I asked Erick "Wasn't mom right behind you? She must have gotten distracted back there we can't go without her" and Erick told the men we would catch the next one and we left, Erick said "that was a very good plan, I didn't trust them". Now I don't know if something would have happened in that elevator but I wasn't about to take the chance.

I profile everyday, I do not think it is racist, I use it as a survival technique, I never ever go out at night time and I stay away from secluded places...I think profiling is useful and not abused. Needless to say even the normal looking man next door who looks completely normal can be a drug dealer or a pedophile, that is why I profile everyone, every race at every age. That's my opinion, take it or leave it.

Note: I am no English major so please forgive my obviously sloppy and very rushed paragraphs.

Last edited by CassandraM_89; 09/21/09 09:06 AM.

Feeling inconstant would drive me insane, Flesh, to blood, to bone my love, twisted...Is It Real?
Re: Racial Profiling [Re: CassandraM_89] #385014 09/21/09 09:56 AM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Can I just clarify, here, exactly what is meant by 'profiling', please?

Re: Racial Profiling [Re: PDM] #385026 09/21/09 01:17 PM
L
luv my bird
Unregistered
luv my bird
Unregistered
L
To me it simply means,accusing someone of an act or crime based solely on their race, or religion.
This is a prime example:
I used to live in an upper-middle class white neighborhood and the only people that were stopped by the police for traffic violations were "non-white" people. Not always, but in most cases they were stopped based on the color of their skin, not because they committed any traffic offense. I find this despicable.

Last edited by luv my bird; 09/21/09 01:18 PM.
Re: Racial Profiling [Re: CassandraM_89] #385050 09/21/09 07:21 PM
I
IronFront Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I
Originally Posted By: CassandraM_89
OK Personally I think it is very useful, it may be wrong but I have always and will always do it, I have friends of many races and they are all good people I GOT A BLACK FRIEND SO I CAN'T BE RACIST, RIGHT? No, you're racist and I have no tolerance for people like you. but I always profile not just to African American people but everyone, I live in a very dangerous city and the population are drug dealers, sex offenders and gang bangers. I think you mean gang rapists. Gang bangers are just people who enjoy having sex in groups. Nothing wrong with that as long as it's consensual.

My grandmother hired a group of 5 men (African American) to work on her house, they were very VERY "gangster" type, pants sagging, do rags, the whole getup. I told her not to trust them but she didn't listen to me, she said "Cass...It's wrong to judge people by appearance, give them a chance." a month later they disappeared with $85,000 that my grandmother had given them...I do know that their are good people out there and I respect them, if they were good people they wouldn't be wearing saggy jeans, do rags and have a curse word fly out of their mouth every 5 seconds. . .
Good people dress a certain way as dictated by society, ey? And if they curse often, then by golly they're evil! Good people wear tight jeans that show their junk and bad people wear cheap sagging jeans. Simple as that? If they were white would you have this problem? No, you're racist.

Once Erick and I were in Vegas getting ready to get in an elevator when 4 very scummy looking men (hispanic) went in right in front of us, I had a bad feeling, they held the door open for us and I was very apprehensive, I asked Erick "Wasn't mom right behind you? She must have gotten distracted back there we can't go without her" and Erick told the men we would catch the next one and we left, Erick said "that was a very good plan, I didn't trust them". Now I don't know if something would have happened in that elevator but I wasn't about to take the chance.

Oh, scummy. So I guess you mean working class. They go to work on people's lawns all day or do some other cheap job worth way more than sitting in an office pressing buttons, then they go to wherever this was and they have some white chick be racist towards them? That's the thanks you give them for being the backbones of this country? Just because they or their families are from Mexico? What is wrong with you?
I profile everyday, I do not think it is racist, I use it as a survival technique, I never ever go out at night time and I stay away from secluded places...I think profiling is useful and not abused. Needless to say even the normal looking man next door who looks completely normal can be a drug dealer or a pedophile, that is why I profile everyone, every race at every age. That's my opinion, take it or leave it.

This last part isn't racially profiling and has no purpose here.

Re: Racial Profiling [Re: ] #385053 09/21/09 07:25 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
But that is abuse of racial-profiling, as opposed to racial profiling, itself, isn't it?
Or am I wrong?
I'm a bit confused about it.

Re: Racial Profiling [Re: PDM] #385054 09/21/09 07:31 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
I found these:

Quote:
Amnesty International:

'Racial profiling occurs when race is used by law enforcement or private security officials, to any degree, as a basis for criminal suspicion in non-suspect specific investigations.'

http://www.amnestyusa.org/us-human-rights/racial-profiling/page.do?id=1106650

Quote:
Study: racial profiling no more effective than random screen

What degree of racial and ethnic profiling makes sense from a security perspective? A mathematician takes a look at some different approaches, and finds that strong profiling comes up short.

By John Timmer ~ February 2, 2009

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009...ndom-screen.ars

Re: Racial Profiling [Re: PDM] #385057 09/21/09 07:42 PM
I
IronFront Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I
Originally Posted By: PDM
But that is abuse of racial-profiling, as opposed to racial profiling, itself, isn't it?
Or am I wrong?
I'm a bit confused about it.
Abusing racial profiling is like abusing rape.

Re: Racial Profiling [Re: IronFront] #385084 09/21/09 10:32 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
IronFront, that only makes sense, if you explain what is meant by and / or understood by, racial profiling.

I was under the impression that racial, profiling ~ when relating to criminals ~ was actually connected with something definite, related to a specific culture.

Re: Racial Profiling [Re: PDM] #385091 09/21/09 11:46 PM
I
IronFront Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I
Originally Posted By: PDM
IronFront, that only makes sense, if you explain what is meant by and / or understood by, racial profiling.
Okay. I'll give a few examples, kay?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmqok62n1Wo
This is a great series --
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=136C35B8803CC87B

Basically it's when you single people out based on the color of their skin and believe that this will make them more likely to commit a crime, or that they are more likely to be the perpetrator of a crime than someone of another race.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
suffocating a rat in a dream
by Waqa11 - 03/06/20 08:27 PM
Do you practice tsundoku?
by Waqa11 - 03/02/20 08:09 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site