Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Costly vet visit [Re: val313] #382120 08/31/09 12:37 AM
_
___JA Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
_
Cheerios are great! A hit with Rocky, though I've never tried them with Cookie. They make great treat toys too! One time I took a shoelace(didn't have any thread lol) and put cheerios all on it, tied it into a ring and put it through a perch. It was destroyed in 10 minutes LOL! laugh

Re: Costly vet visit [Re: ___JA] #382121 08/31/09 01:25 AM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Yeah, when I took my two to Windcrest I ended up paying $300 for everything. It's insane but they do a good job.

Re: Costly vet visit [Re: Darkness] #382131 08/31/09 03:14 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
cheerios are the only way to fly! (no pun intended... ok, yes it was) the peanut gallery has a blast with them! one bird can take up to 11 min to eat 1 cheerio. (down to the last crumb) a few like to just swing the cheerio string (shoe lace :)) and nibble as they chase it. ozzy... doesn't "eat" them (except some crumbs that get in/on her beak) her "forte" is that she can get a cherrio and in a milli second, knows exactly where to grab, bite and instantly disintegrate it it into fine dust. smile someone will grab one and then it is madness as everyone else gives chase! they can be so incredibly funny! (and messy. :))

baby blue
Re: Costly vet visit [Re: skipperdog] #382136 08/31/09 04:13 AM
SUPERSTAR Offline
Companion
Companion
Originally Posted By: skipperdog

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with a yearly exam (65 first time, 48 regular patient) and the wing clip, but I agree with the idea of saving up for the big emergencies and using good food, good sense, and a clean environment to take care of their health the rest of the time.

Did you ever think about cutting costs and learning to clip yourself? I have worked at a pet store and for a vet office and have learned how to clip wings for any bird by myself (and also toenail trimmings), so all clippings done to my birds are done by me and they don't mind it nearly as much as by a stranger. Also the place in which you have obtained the bird may offer free clippings for birds bought there. If curious refer to my old post http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthread...5751#Post165751

Re: Costly vet visit [Re: SUPERSTAR] #382162 08/31/09 01:02 PM
S
skipperdog Offline OP
Good Friend
OP Offline
Good Friend
S
Thank you Superstar. I actually was referring to the price of the wing clip.

I adopted a new cockatiel, and she isn't very tame, so I had her wings trimmed, so I can work with her out of her cage and she won't hurt herself flying around.

My keets are flighted, so I don't need to trim them. That said, I am too afraid to clip their wings myself. It's worth it to me to pay 15$ rather than mess up and clip a blood feather. Daisy had 3 blood feathers that the vet pointed out to me, and so he only clipped the very tips of those.

I'm good at nail trims, though. Well, for the boys. I swear my female keet, Peppy, bites her nails! They almost never need trimming.

Re: Costly vet visit [Re: skipperdog] #382173 08/31/09 01:59 PM
joandboys Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I purchased bird pet insurance shortly after getting Sweetie and Cookie. I realize that you may not continue to keep Daisy but if you do, you may want to look into it.

Many people on the forum have it and you can set up the cost on monthly payments of less than $20 per month.

You can taylor the policy to suit your needs. Mine has emergency vet costs on it.

The insurance covers part of the costs of regular services such as cipping and nail trims and yearly exams. It takes a few weeks for the papers to come and you can go online to check it out.

http://www.petinsurance.com/

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Costly vet visit [Re: peepers14] #382174 08/31/09 02:09 PM
joandboys Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
By the way, sorry for the off topic comment here. I have been trying to find a good post where it wouldn't be off comment but I just can't contain myself any longer.

Peepers, you have the prettiest keet I have ever seen. He is so beautiful!!!!

What is his name?

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Costly vet visit [Re: joandboys] #382400 09/02/09 03:14 AM
L
littlekaty Offline
L
I can understand the 65 dollar exam cost although my last human doctor visit to my pcp to get a prescription consult cost about the same so being unemployed without unemployment benefits it's a lot right now for a tiny bird. I did take Bella in for a wing clip last week after she escaped from the cage and flew in a panic around the house. She's not finger tame (none of my budgies are) so the 20 dollar for the wing clip was worth my piece of mind. Also the vet's office is used to clipping wings and knew how to handle a skittish and people scared bird whereas I am not. I was scared to clip my hand tame tiel's wings during his entire 14 years of life and always took him to a vet and he was a sweet and tame little bird.

They did say her weight was fine which is good since Bella was quite fat when I obtained her from her former neglectful owner.

Puff, Skittles, Bella and Maisie: My sweet little girl flock
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site