Print Thread
Thorough cage cleaning? #345793 01/07/09 03:44 PM
K
kksuns Offline OP
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
How often do you guys do a completely thorough cage cleaning-remove and scrub everything,dismantle and scrub entire cage? I've only done it once since I got Levi the end of August. I did a total cleaning around Halloween.
Back then he couldn't fly so I just put him on his playstand and had hubby keep and eye on him.But now he can fly and he spends alot of time on top of his cage so I'm afraid it won't be so simple and he will freak out. What do you do with your bird(s) while you clean the cage? Should I put him in travel cage while I do the cleaning?
And just how often is a TOTAL cleaning and scrubbing necessary? In Lisa's pages I think she suggests every 6 months. Is that often enough?
I'm really interested in your opinions and how you go about it. Thanks
I do clean his toys once a week or so depending on..well you know, and dishes every day, and wipe down cage bars periodically but TOTAL cleaning?

Re: Thorough cage cleaning? [Re: kksuns] #345796 01/07/09 04:01 PM
M
mittu Offline
Regular
Regular
M
I do a total clean every two weeks. only because they make so much mess, I have a big cage, and five birds, their seed bowl and other toys that are out of the cage and sitting on top make more mess in the corners... I take everything out of the cage and scrub the bottom with a sponge. then I put them all inside. If I put one inside the rest follow. then I pull the cage out, clean the tray and vaccumm the back. and the walls. they use to get scared of the vaccuum but now they are use to it, and sit still while I clean. after I put them back I spray them with the toys inside but no food, with a Mites and feather spray. they don't like that but after the bath, they sleep really well and quite.

so that's what I do....

Re: Thorough cage cleaning? [Re: mittu] #345815 01/07/09 07:35 PM
K
kksuns Offline OP
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Anyone else?
And I never thought about mite/feather spray..sounds scary to me. Am I supposed to be using it> I know mite protectors are bad so I'm thinking spray would be too?

Re: Thorough cage cleaning? [Re: kksuns] #345834 01/07/09 08:58 PM
Babies and Birds Offline
Friend
Friend
My hubby cleans the cage (hehe) and he unsnaps the top portion from the bottom and cleans all the bars, toys, perches, etc... once a wk. w/ baby wipes (that we already have on hand b/c we have a toddler). We also do little cleanings every day like the dishes, paper in the tray, etc... We like the cage cleaned more often b/c my toddler likes to stick her hand in and play w/ Blue and his toys. We let Blue out to play while cleaning his cage too.

Re: Thorough cage cleaning? [Re: kksuns] #345849 01/07/09 11:13 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
From what I understand, mite spray should only be used on the advice of a vet (if the birds have had mites or have been exposed to other birds with mites). The spray and protectors may cause respiratory problems in birds. I have heard of people who do use them and say they haven't had any problems, but I am concerned about toxic build-up in Pudgie's lungs, so I don't use them.

Originally Posted By: kksuns
now he can fly and he spends alot of time on top of his cage so I'm afraid it won't be so simple and he will freak out.
Lol -- Pudgie kind of freaked out one time -- flew from hubby's shoulder toward the usual cage spot, realized there was no cage there, and kind of squawked, banked sharply, and flew back to hubby's shoulder! She was NOT amused, but she got over it! Plus, you said Levi has a playstand, right? He will probably be okay with hubby watching him and maybe distracting him with toys & millet, in my opinion...

I do super-scrubbing about once every two months or so. It's a several-hour affair! Take out of cage all items that would stay soggy, gather towels, rinse in shower, spray with "Poop-Off" spray, wipe and scrub, rinse in super-hot water, rinse, rinse some more, wipe dry, wipe dry, wipe dry, put in second (dry) set of comfy perches, replace chewy strips, etc. Aaaarrgg!

Hee hee - sorry this turned into a rant but thanks for letting me vent, people! smile It really is a huge task, and I've often wondered what people do who don't have someone else there to play with the bird while you're cleaning the cage...

I do a pretty thorough wipe-down with Poop-Off spray every other day, but I do feel that a major cleaning every 8 weeks or so will take care of any areas that I might be missing...

Re: Thorough cage cleaning? [Re: ] #345871 01/08/09 01:16 AM
K
kksuns Offline OP
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
I do the daily cleaning every day too and every couple days wipe down the whole cage...Baby wipes huh? Good idea Bs&birds, thanks!
And Pudgie's mom I know what you mean about the super cleaning scrub scrub rinse rinse hot water...DRYYYY which is why I only do it every couple months. Ughh it takes FOREVER. I thought maybe I wasn't doing the thorough thing often enough tho...
IDK about hubby watching him that long tho now that he's a flying daredevil.. Maybe I should just fancy up his travel cage with toys and familiar swing. I'd feel safer I think LOL
Thanks guys

Re: Thorough cage cleaning? [Re: kksuns] #345882 01/08/09 02:34 AM
M
mittu Offline
Regular
Regular
M
as for mites spray, I don't do it that often, ones last year I brought home a budgie that had mites, and so she stayed with them for about a week, so just as precaution I started using the spray, cuz I saw them scratching them selves alot. But now they are have stopped with scratching themselves. and so I have cut back on the Mites spray, But every now and then if they don't use the bath dish I spray them with Feather stuff...look below!!

this stuff really does make their feathers bright. it conditions it really nicely...if you see my other post with my keets pics, I took those pics day after using the spray on them.

Last edited by mittu; 01/08/09 02:36 AM.
Re: Thorough cage cleaning? [Re: mittu] #345883 01/08/09 02:38 AM
K
kksuns Offline OP
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
That looks pretty interesting-I'll have to check it out smile Wonder if you can add it to bath water when they are molting?

Re: Thorough cage cleaning? [Re: kksuns] #345997 01/08/09 09:12 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
I use Avi-X "Bird Rain" spray because it's what my avian vet sells:
http://www.exoticdvm.com/index.cfm?fusea...oup_id=112&

When Pudgie takes a bath I mist her with Bird Rain. She doesn't seem to have any negative reactions to it, but I worry about her eyes. I'm trusting that Dr. Harrison & co. are on-the-ball about their products.

Re: Thorough cage cleaning? [Re: mittu] #346074 01/09/09 02:12 AM
Stephanie sweet keets Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Originally Posted By: mittu
as for mites spray, I don't do it that often, ones last year I brought home a budgie that had mites, and so she stayed with them for about a week, so just as precaution I started using the spray, cuz I saw them scratching them selves alot. But now they are have stopped with scratching themselves. and so I have cut back on the Mites spray, But every now and then if they don't use the bath dish I spray them with Feather stuff...look below!!

this stuff really does make their feathers bright. it conditions it really nicely...if you see my other post with my keets pics, I took those pics day after using the spray on them.
Where can I buy that at?

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site