Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just found 4 ticks on the dog! What do I do?? #293958 05/24/08 03:53 AM
Clairakeet Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
I'm dog sitting since Tuesday for my Dad's dog Daisy. She had just had two ticks removed from her tummy before Tuesday, and she had medicine on the back of her neck also for the ticks.

Yesterday or the day before, I noticed a bump on her mouth, and I looked at it and it looked like the growths that our Artemis always got, so I texted Dad saying that Daisy got one of Artemis's "barnicles" (that's what I call them).

But today Daisy and I were laying on the couch and I saw something on the couch by us. It was this big fat tick! I looked at her lip and the "barnacle" was gone, but there was a bump and a scab! The bump was the tick!

I found three other ticks on her just now! But I have never seen ticks like this before. They are fat and squishy! What the heck? What do I do??

I pulled them out according to this site: http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/tick_removal.html

I pulled them out with tweezers as best I could. I put them in a baggie of alcohol and put alcohol on the spots on Daisy where the ticks were. I'm worried though! For the first tick I pulled out, the squishy tick seemed to deflate when I squeezed it! I'm afraid that it sucked juice out of Daisy but then spit it back into her when I squeezed it!

I'M FREAKED OUT AND NOW I HAVE THE CREEPY CRAWLIES!

Any suggestions? Should I call the emergency vet or will Daisy be ok until tomorrow morning to then go to the regular vet?

Re: Just found 4 ticks on the dog! What do I do?? [Re: Clairakeet] #293967 05/24/08 06:12 AM
nicolo Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
hi--it is not he type of emergency requiring immediate care other than what you already did. i've had lots of dogs in the woods, and have removed many ticks and the dogs never suffered after effects. of course, in different parts of the country ticks carry different bacteria, etc. so check with your vet tomorrow. The important thing is to check the dogs more often if they go in a tick infested area--you want to get them off before they are engorged, it's easier and there is less chance of "backwash". i've had a few tick bites, you have to check your socks if you walk your dog in that area.--nicolo

Re: Just found 4 ticks on the dog! What do I do?? [Re: nicolo] #294013 05/24/08 02:40 PM
Clairakeet Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Alrighty, well I found like eight ticks on Daisy last night! Omg it was the grossest thing. I did my best to remove them all. I had sent like a hundred texts to Dad all freaked out about it, so he called once he landed and he said we'd take her to the vet in the morning. So this morning he stopped by the vet and the vet said that the medicine on her neck spreads through her skin and kills the ticks, and that the ticks were in the process of dying. She had another one on her this morning, and so I let Dad remove that one (yuck!) and showed him the places the other ticks were.

So...the vet said she'll be fine since she'd had the medicine. Thanks for your help, nicolo. *relieved!*

Re: Just found 4 ticks on the dog! What do I do?? [Re: Clairakeet] #294211 05/25/08 04:09 AM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
It is wood tick season. Last week on Prairie Home Companion in the News for Lake Wobegon Garrison Keilor was talking about wood ticks being an anti-aphrodesiac, it was really funny. The deer ticks that carry Lyme disease are so tiny that you can barely see them even when engorged with blood. In the west soem ticks carry Spotted fever but for the most part ticks are more of an annoyance than a danger.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site