Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looking for Advice on Wine Purchase #358369 12/12/11 10:28 PM
J
JSAT73 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello – I am a novice trying to buy an anniversary gift for a wine lover. I am thinking about purchasing a bottle of wine from the same year of his anniversary (25 years ago this coming Jan, so 1987). Thought maybe Bordeaux.

Looking for suggestions on a reputable place to purchase the wine and/or if a Bordeaux is the right choice for that age. Open to ideas.

Thank you

Re: Looking for Advice on Wine Purchase [Re: JSAT73] #358373 12/15/11 11:08 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
Dear JSAT73 -

Welcome, it's nice to have you in our forums!

The thing is that wine is meant to be consumed smile So for example let's say you bought a Cheddar cheese for a cheese lover and it turns out he hates cheddar and loves brie. Your gift would not be appreciated.

I'd find out what this person loves, rather than guessing. Otherwise you could spend a lot of money on a flavor he or she is simply not fond of.

Or how about a gift certificate to a restaurant with a fantastic wine list? That way they can spend it on wine and still choose their own meal ...

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Looking for Advice on Wine Purchase [Re: JSAT73] #358379 12/19/11 10:29 AM
kevin10 Offline
Yes and that's more important to know the likes of that person regarding wine as he is the person who will have that gift from you.It's not like what you have thought as gift for your friend is good enough or not, what he likes is more important.

Re: Looking for Advice on Wine Purchase [Re: JSAT73] #358380 12/20/11 09:30 PM
B
Brom Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
B
While I have some agreement with the general principle espoused by Lisa and kevin10, I think, in the case of someone described as a mature "wine lover" (married 25 years gotta be somewhat mature), buying a premium wine could be a fairly safe bet.

I am a "mature wine lover" myself. There are still some wine types I don't particularly care for (Gamay and dry sparkling to name two), but almost any "special" bottle would likely be "special" to and enjoyed by me.

And it seems to me that's what we're talking about - someone wants to give an extraordinary bottle to a wine lover.

I'm Bordeaux and not CalCab - would I be disappointed by a gift of some Silverado or Screaming Eagle? No. Likewise, I am Cab over Pinot Noir - am I going to grimace when someone turns me on to a DRC (as far-fetched as that possibility might be)?

I'm red over white - by far. While an ordinary white Chateauneuf du Pape might be somewhat disappointing even tho' very interesting, I doubt I would hold anything against someone who gave me a white Haut Brion.

So, in partial answer to the OP's question, yes, you could do an '87 Bordeaux. You could do an top '87 CalCab too.

In a really nice bottle, I could get past that it was Beaujolais. I may not like Gamay, but, because I am indeed a "mature wine lover", I can recognize and enjoy a well-built wine. I drink Champagne because it is de rigeur for celebrations, but I'd kiss the person who gave me an '86 Pol Roger. (Either side of '87 there are some highly thought of vintage Champagnes available)

As to reputable dealers, I would recommend you first determine if there are any in your locale. You are proposing to buy a bottle of wine for several hundred dollars (you know that, right?). You will be much better off dealing with someone in person.

Re: Looking for Advice on Wine Purchase [Re: JSAT73] #358388 12/22/11 09:47 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
I think I would still be nervous about choosing "a bottle" and investing hundreds in it, hoping the person liked it enough to warrant that. I know some people who really dislike Californian wines and only drink Bordeaux. I know others who dislike Bordeaux immensely and only drink Burgundy. So I think even (or perhaps especially) long term wine drinkers can get really set in their tastes and just not appreciate a $400 bottle of wine from somewhere else. So it's wasted on them.

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Looking for Advice on Wine Purchase [Re: JSAT73] #358390 12/23/11 03:05 PM
B
Brom Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
B
I know what you are saying, and as I note there are wines I just don't care for when tasted, but I am hard-pressed to believe that someone who is a wine lover, a hobbyist or enthusiast could dislike a CalCab or Bordeaux so much (and these seem like our main potential wines here) that they would not enjoy a prime example of one or the other.

Granted, with me it is not that I dislike CalCab, I just prefer Bordeaux (my cellar is 7:1 in favour of Bordeaux - which illustrates how bare that cupboard has become, that I can calculate what I have from memory.) But oh how happy I am with my recent purchase of Clos du Bois Marlstone.

I mentioned that I am not a Champagne drinker elsewhere. I will say tho' that I had a Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame some years back - not only the best Champagne I have ever had, but still one of the finest wines of any stripe I have ever tasted.

Of course you never know. As the Toyota owner said when presented with the Ferrari - "But I already have a small car."

Last edited by Brom; 12/23/11 03:06 PM.
Re: Looking for Advice on Wine Purchase [Re: JSAT73] #358406 01/11/12 11:32 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
Dear Brom -

Fair enough!

I suppose I know some people who hate all red wines, or don't drink any for medical reasons, so as long as the giver has a backup plan for the bottle, they will be OK smile

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Looking for Advice on Wine Purchase [Re: JSAT73] #358411 01/12/12 09:08 PM
B
Brom Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
B
"I know some people who hate all red wines, or don't drink any for medical reasons"

But these wouldn't be people you would describe as "wine lovers".

It's sort of a matter of degree in a way. You note that you know 'Yes Burgundy, no Bordeaux' people, which, as stated above, I find sort of hard to accept. By the same token, there are those who insist to me that "You will love Cru Beaujolais if you taste it." (I have; I don't.) Then there are those for whom every well-made wine is a tasting delight.

Re: Looking for Advice on Wine Purchase [Re: JSAT73] #358415 01/13/12 10:53 AM
kevin10 Offline
Yes Dear Brom, that's what you have said absolutely true that if we know the person from very close and are describing that person as wine lover then there is major possibility that he will like the wine gift from us so there is no harm in doing this if this is the case.

Last edited by kevin10; 01/13/12 10:53 AM.
Re: Looking for Advice on Wine Purchase [Re: JSAT73] #358418 01/16/12 01:28 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
Dear Brom -

Ah but I feel I can be a chocolate lover without liking white chocolate. I don't see a disconnect between being a lover of most of something and still disliking certain ones.

I love cheese - but there are specific cheeses I don't like.

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Advertisement
Latest Posts
Privacy
This forum uses cookies. If you choose to register, your email is solely used to get your password to you. Forum Guidelines
Forum Areas
Cocktails, Sangrias
Events and Festivals
Food Pairings and Recipes
Glassware and Serving
Health and Allergies
Reviews and Tastings
Storage, Aging, Cellars
Travel Photos
Winery Visits
Winemaking
Wine Chit Chat