Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Paul Kossart] #355455 04/24/09 10:25 PM
W
winelvr Offline
W
In Illinois wouldn't they freeze in the winter? I thought it got very cold there!

Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Lisa Shea] #355460 04/25/09 01:48 PM
J
jimbull Offline
J
Hi to all, I personnally think chilling red wine should be a crime! Drink the red at room temp, chill the white, those are the rules....
New Mexico wine, having just come from NM, the St Clair winery at Deming has very, VERY good wine and a neat way of selling it. You buy a liter bottle from them at $12 (filled with your favorite) and each time you return with it its $6. And its very good wine. The oldest winery in America is in NM...
I live in South Alabama, just 12 miles off the coast and have a vineyard and someday a winery. We have 200 muscadine vines, Nobel, Hunt and Magnnolia and 175 Norton and 200 Black Spanish (Lenoir) and 200 Chardonell. This should be a good year for the bunch grapes if PD and the Black Rot don't get them. We have to spray heavily here or the mildew gets them. Happy to talk to ya all'...Jim

Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: jimbull] #355463 04/26/09 05:03 AM
Lisa Shea Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Welcome Jimbull!

I'm really curious about the "room temperature" for your red. When you say room temperature, do you mean whatever temperature the room is? That is, what if it was a 100F summertime day and you were sitting outside. Would you drink the red wine at 100F? Or do you just mean "lukewarm" by room temperature?

Actually I thought the oldest winery in the US was Brotherhood Winery in New York -

http://www.brotherhoodwinery.net/

They opened in 1839. The St. Clair winery says it opened in 1984?

That is so great that you're growing wine in Alabama! How are the vines doing? I've never seen a wine from Alabama!

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Lisa Shea] #355553 05/07/09 02:02 AM
C
charlene Offline
C
How did the thermometer thing work?

Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: jimbull] #355561 05/07/09 10:37 AM
P
Peter May Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
P
Originally Posted by jimbull
Hi to all, I personnally think chilling red wine should be a crime! Drink the red at room temp, chill the white, those are the rules....

Hi Jim

Accordingto you, I am a criminal. Last night I was putting ice cubes in my glass of wine!!!

The 'room temperature' suggestion (not rule) dates from Victorian England. Check the TV show Upstairs Downstairs' or similar programmes and see how many layers of clothes people were wearing then. Houses were cold, and room temperature meant the wine was slightly cool to the tongue.

The red wine in last nights restauarant was warm, chilling it with a couple of ice cubes brought out the flavour.

Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Peter May] #355567 05/07/09 07:36 PM
A
Ann2006 Offline
A
Just got back from the White Wine in the Refrigerator posts which seems to mirror some of the issues here. My preference -- and again it's all about personal preferences -- is white wine not too cold. Most Americans I believe serve everything too cold - even coffee iced. That said, if my white wine happens to be too warm, I do have some plastic ice balls (they're round, not cubes) that I keep in the freezer to cool the wine a bit without diluting it.

Speaking of ice in red wine.... I have a friend who puts ice cubes in his red wine. But I think that's because he really doesn't like red wine and likes to water it down.

Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Ann2006] #355575 05/08/09 02:16 AM
Lisa Shea Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Yup we have ice cube balls, ice cube squares, ice cube fish and ice cube shells. We even ones that flash in colors! That way if a wine gets to warm while we sit on the back porch we can bring it down a bit to something less toasty.

Warming up is harder, I try to do it with my hands cupping the bowl of the glass but usually it just makes my fingers frozen!

Maybe Americans are just temperature insensitive - we also serve our sake way too hot smile

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: jimbull] #355605 05/10/09 09:11 PM
M
Mutt Offline
M
Hi Jimbull,
We must be very close together! If you have some grapes, I'd sure love to make some wine with them. Are you in Baldwin or Mobile county?

On the temp thing, remember what Duke Ellington said about music..... " If it sounds good, it is good."

Best
Mutt

Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Paul Kossart] #357670 08/24/10 12:38 AM
P
PlonkWine Offline
P
In general I find that people serve red wine way too warm which can often make the wine taste "hot" or higher in alcohol than it actually is. I like to serve reds at around 59 degrees, and lighter style reds like Pinot Noir, Beaujolais, some Cab Franc from the Loire etc show really well when they're a bit chilled, especially during the warmer months.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Advertisement
Latest Posts
Privacy
This forum uses cookies. If you choose to register, your email is solely used to get your password to you. Forum Guidelines
Forum Areas
Cocktails, Sangrias
Events and Festivals
Food Pairings and Recipes
Glassware and Serving
Health and Allergies
Reviews and Tastings
Storage, Aging, Cellars
Travel Photos
Winery Visits
Winemaking
Wine Chit Chat