Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wine Serving Temperature #355012 03/11/09 09:25 PM
Lisa Shea Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
In a separate thread, Brom brought up this point about "fancy wines" -

"You do chill your champagne, right? These are all special preparations we take and make to enhance our enjoyment of certain wines."

This struck me as odd. I serve all wines at the temperature they were meant to be served at, because I want to enjoy every wine I drink. I don't treat only some wines in this "special" way.

If I'm having White Zinfandel, I serve it cool. If I'm having a $6 bottle of Malbec, I serve it warmer. I don't want to deliberately make a wine taste worse than it could. This is true for any wine I pour, because regardless of its price or origin or style, it's going in my mouth smile I want it to taste as well as it can!

So to me it would be like burning a burger, because it's cheap, but cooking a filet mignon properly, because it costs more. I want both to taste as well as they can, and both have the potential of being really tasty to my taste buds.

Here's my wine temperature chart -

http://www.wineintro.com/basics/temperatures.html

Do you serve wines at the right temperature? Or do you serve reds at 80F because it's what your house is set to, and white wine at 35F because it came out of the fridge?

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Lisa Shea] #355017 03/12/09 05:55 PM
P
Peter May Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
P
I'm not too fussed.

Red wine should be a little cool to the lips and in the summer I stick my red into thefride 30-60 minutes before opening.

Whites go in the fridge for a couple of hours or more. If I forget then I use a nifty chiller sleeve I keepi n thefreezer and that chills whites in less than 10 minutes.

I've never measured the temperature of my at serving. If its too cold then cupping theglass soon warms it.

A note about fridges though, they're not all att he same temperature...

Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Peter May] #355019 03/12/09 10:49 PM
Lisa Shea Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
I do actually own a thermometer that you point at an object (a wine glass for example) and hit a button and it tells you what temperature that object is. I am geeky and love playing with it so for me that's super easy. Also over time I have done this so many times that I know fairly easily if something is too warm or too cold. So it's easy to adjust. Like you said, just holding the glass for a few minutes usually does the trick.

But for example I wouldn't drink a red wine at freezer temperature just because it's a "cheap red wine". Cheaper wines deserve as much love as expensive wines do smile They all go into my mouth!

I thought fridge temperature was a set temperature to keep food from rotting! Why would a fridge be a warm fridge, for example?

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Lisa Shea] #355033 03/14/09 03:44 PM
P
Peter May Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
P
Is there a set temperature for fridges? All the fridges we've had have had a dial inside to allow you to vary between minimum and maximum.

Inoticed in the US the fridges were very cold, almost freezing, hence my comment.

Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Peter May] #355039 03/15/09 02:33 AM
Lisa Shea Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Yes we have a dial but it doesn't go from zero to 100F, it's meant for fine tuning the fridge. I thought most fridges were set around 35F so yes they are very near freezing. That way your food stays as fresh as possible.

What do you set your fridge to?

From the UNL -

"40 F or lower is the recommended refrigerator temperature to slow bacterial growth and maintain quality. Freezing occurs at 32 F; adjust refrigerator accordingly between 32 F and 40 F to prevent unwanted freezing, such as freezing milk."

http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciq-fridge-freezer-thermometer.shtml

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Lisa Shea] #355409 04/22/09 11:02 PM
C
charlene Offline
C
I should find a thermometer, I have no idea what my fridge is set at.

Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: charlene] #355411 04/23/09 12:18 AM
Lisa Shea Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
I think our fridge has a setting in the back that is done with numbers, I will have to look. So I think we set it to an actual numerical value.

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Lisa Shea] #355444 04/24/09 08:04 PM
Lisa Shea Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
OK yes the fridge just has a bizarre dial of zero to ten as its "cold setting". You have to have an actual thermometer to know what that means.

I just used my digital instant thermometer in there. It is 33F in the meat drawer which is the coldest area. The warmest area in the fridge is about 40F. Looking at government safety sites they say it should be between 32F and 40F. It needs to be below 40F to kill bacteria - but above 32F so that your milk doesn't freeze solid smile

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Lisa Shea] #355445 04/24/09 08:11 PM
Lisa Shea Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Woo hoo! I found a cool wireless pair of thermometers that displays - on your fridge front - the current temperature in both your refrigerator and freezer sections!

[Linked Image from ecx.images-amazon.com]

It's on Amazon. I'll post a review as soon as I get it and play with it!

Lisa Shea, owner
WineIntro.com
Re: Wine Serving Temperature [Re: Lisa Shea] #355454 04/24/09 09:41 PM
P
Paul Kossart Offline
P
Generally, I store my whites in a wine fridge our kids bought us a couple Christmases ago, and the reds are kept out on the porch in cooler weather, or in the basement during the summer months.

Seems to work well.

Paul K.
Peru, IL

Paul Kossart
Peru, IL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Advertisement
Latest Posts
Privacy
This forum uses cookies. If you choose to register, your email is solely used to get your password to you. Forum Guidelines
Forum Areas
Cocktails, Sangrias
Events and Festivals
Food Pairings and Recipes
Glassware and Serving
Health and Allergies
Reviews and Tastings
Storage, Aging, Cellars
Travel Photos
Winery Visits
Winemaking
Wine Chit Chat