Lisa Shea

wild parakeet/one legged

Posted By: randy

wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 07:44 AM

Hey everyone! I am new here!
Ok I just got this wild parakeet from the pet store cause the poor thing only has one leg! I have a big heart for animals with handycaps so i said I would take her. Well they ended up just giving her to me and I really want to be able to handle her. She bites the crud out of me! So if anyone has ANY tips on what I can do to make it go more smoothly that would be great!! I dont want to give her a heart attack but I want to be able to handle her!!!!
Thank you!
Posted By: Jloc

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:09 AM

Well don't worry about the post above that person will be banned soon enough. As for your bird, just take it slow the bird needs some time to settle in, and you must earn his trust. ONe thing I would highly suggest it to make something like a coconut swing or something similar, birds that have one leg need to be able to lay down to take the pressure off that foot, a quarter of a coconut hung in the cage or screwed onto a perch would be the best, my birds love the coconut swing and lay down in it. I know a lady from the bird store that has a parrolet with one leg and it lays down everynight, you really should give it the opportunity to do so, and do not get one of those happy huts or anything, it would very hard to walk on something soft like those are. And I would buy a comfy perch and see how the bird does with it, they are a rope type perch that are easy on the feet which is what your bird would need. You can get them at any petsmart or petco I believe. Again you will need to take your time, try reading through Lisa's main parakeet pages, Lisa is the person who made this site and she has a ton of very great info on how to train and bond with parakeets, I would follor the same instructions with your bird, shouldn't be any different. Parakeets adapt extremely well and your bird should be fine, just follow her info and get something like I suggested so the bird can lay down and take the weight off of that leg, if you need help making something, I can give you instructions. Best wishes to you and your bird, and bless your heart for taking that bird in, he needed someone like you that would care for it. Keep me posted on how it goes. Jloc
Posted By: mamakeet

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:46 AM

I hope your keet lives a long and happy life! I knew a keet that had only one leg and he was a prince!

Guess this don't mean much no that other post is gone!! lol
Put the bird down????? Are you that heartless???
What if you lost a leg?....Should we put you down??
Grow up!
Posted By: Cully's Mom

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 02:15 PM

Ditto on Nikkums and Jloc. I just love hearing of people taking in handicapped animals.

Lots of love and patience!

Good luck & keep us posted!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 06:17 PM

My ex-boyfriend had a parrot who had only one leg. It had been bitten off by a Cockatoo when he was a baby - before we got him. Apparently he was around 35-40 years old when he died. But he got around just fine and seemed to be as happy as could be. He had the run of the house and even with one leg he "ruled the roost" so to speak. The dogs (a german shephard and a siberian husky) and the cat were all intimidated by him. smile
Posted By: BirdieJabbers

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 07:20 PM

Aww, I agree with everyone's advice here, except for putting the bird down - that is so immature! I just wanted to say BLESS ALL of you who have a heart for less fortunate animals. It is a blessing in this world to have people like you, you are the kind of people I look up to.

Before I was born, my mom saved a parakeet from her evil cats mouth! Poor thing had her whole head inside of the siamese's jaw, and my mom hit the siamese on the head (not too hard but hard enough) until she let the poor keetie out. The keetie SURVIVED (I dont know how, since cat saliva is deadly) and turned out to be female. My mom named her Dolly smile
Dolly was an angel and would hop on my moms finger, go on her shoulder, etc.
Later my mom bought a male and named him Father John.

That's my miracle to share! ^.^
Posted By: parakeetboy

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 08:57 PM

Not to be cruel but you got to think about the bird...It has a big problem. I would put it down...less cruel for the bird. So I agree with Jloc it isn't immutcher it's smart.

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:04 PM

Originally posted by parakeetboy:
Not to be cruel but you got to think about the bird...It has a big problem. I would put it down...less cruel for the bird. So I agree with Jloc it isn't immutcher it's smart.
Well for one it is not CRUEL in all situations! The bird over all gets around fine and is a little happy girl! If she was flopping on the cage floor hurting herself I could see that but to PUT HER DOWN just because of a missing leg>that is cruel! They will learn to get around just fine without one. Just make the cage more keet friendly.

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:09 PM

ok. i didn't try to be mean about it... smile that is what i would do! SORRY! On here we put our opinion, not always the answer you want to here, but you wanted to know.

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:10 PM

And I also gave mine back.
Posted By: BirdieJabbers

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:13 PM

I think there might be a little confusion-
I agree with letting the bird REST in a coconut swing or something, which parakeetboy might think what I meant by putting it down.
However, when I said putting it down, I meant sending the poor baby to birdie heaven. I do not approve of that.
I might be wrong though, but Im trying to prevent confusion smile

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:14 PM

of course... i'm not trying to be smart! So my OPINION is put it down. Trust me I think it would be good to put it down. It is hard i know I had to put my rabbit down about three months ago. He had some kind of respitory condition, but at the end I knew it was better.

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:20 PM

I am sorry about your rabbit. I know a few people around here that also have one legged birds and they get around just fine so I just dont see why to put her down. It would just be like putting a three legged dog to sleep. If they get around fine without getting hurt and are healthy and happy. Why? Why put them to sleep?

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:23 PM

Thank you for the sorrow of my rabbit. Please read the PM (privet message) I have sent to you.

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:29 PM

There is no need to bird that bird down, and I had posted nothing like that, you are thinking of the post that was erased by that sad person. Just curious parakeetboy, if you lost a finger should your parents put you down, I am 100% sure they wouldn't and if they did you would be upset because you know you can get along fine without a finger. ANd birds adapt much better than humans ever will, they can deal with almost anything, they are amazing little creatures, and deserve love and care, not ignorance and being put to sleep. You should really think about what you are saying before you post, because what you say was one of the most rediculous things I have seen on here in a while, so should we put down every person in a wheelchair, or anyone missing a leg of foot, of course not that insane. Anyways I wish you the best of luck Randy and again if you need any instructions on what to make the little guy to sleep in let me know, it's true birds often sleep on one leg, but they do get the oppotunity to switch legs when one get tired or sore, so by only having one means he will need some time to rest that leg. Best wishes and bravo for doing what you do, in time you will have a very happy loving bird just be patient. Jloc

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:33 PM

Thanks for your post. Parakeetbor and I just pm and He had a change of heart. I think he had this poor sad little decrepid bird pictured.
But again thanks for your post Jloc!!!

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:36 PM

Slow it down there Sherlock, randy and I have been talking and got every thing strait. I was thinking wrong. Sorry about the miss understanding I didn't read your and read someones who said that you did I am sorry. And I get very shaky when people gang up on me so please stop!
P.S. my paranet wouldn't put me to sleep!

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:38 PM

Thanks Randy and sorry for my additude Jloc>

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:38 PM

we were just trying to inform you.

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:40 PM

No problem, just try and really think about what you are posting before you do, what you said seemed very hurtful towards birds and everyone here loves birds, so you can see why it upset me and some others. I'm glad you see you were mistaken and best wishes. Jloc

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/05/06 09:42 PM

Thankyou for exepting, Jloc!
Posted By: blondelostnny

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/06/06 03:36 PM

Dont put a bird down just for being handicapped! If we put everyperson down that was handicapped in the world, well.... that would be a lot of people! They bird can still function, and like Nikkums said, they recover easily!

The bird is prob biting cause right now he feels very defensive and like a victim! He's all alone with a huge scary human thats trying to grab at him! Let him get used to his environment first, and if he already has then take things slow. Remember keets hide their illness so they wont be picked out as prey!!! So just take it slow, talk soothinly to the keet and hopefully it will work out!
Posted By: arrow564

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/17/06 05:50 AM

DO YOU HAVE ANY PICS????
Posted By: Pigwidgeon

Re: wild parakeet/one legged - 03/17/06 08:24 PM

I think what Randy did was one of the sweetest things in the world...giving a handicap bird (or any animal) a home is so nice, especially since due to instinct, most of the other birds would have picked on that one...

I'm so sorry about your rabbit, parakeetboy. I had two dwarf hamsters very dear to me, and they passed away, and I was so sad I cried...I still miss them today (over a year later), out of all the hamsters I've had (including the regular kind), they were my favorites...

And I also understand where parakeetboy is coming from, and I feel he is looking out for what he feels is best for the parakeet, but I still don't think it should be put down. I was thinking, that if I lost an arm or a leg, I'd still want to live. As long as I had my family beside me (corny, I know, but I'm very close with my family...especially my siblings...^^) I could survive with any limb loss.
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum