Lisa Shea

Separating two male parakeets?

Posted By: twinkleandbeaker

Separating two male parakeets? - 08/18/13 04:56 PM

They dont get along like they used to. One is older than the other. The peck at each other constantly and cause each other to fall off the perch. They get very territorial and I tried putting more than one feeding area for them but it hasnt helped much. I am in the process of taming them but its very difficult. The older one now stands on my hand when I feed him and the younger one stood on my finger once when i offered him millet. It took a lot of patience. I think they are used to me and arent that scared of me. They still arent tame though. I really think it would be a good idea to separate them so I got another cage and put that cage right in front of the old cage so that they went and explored it. The younger one kept going back and forth between both cages. Finally I shut the door so now they are in separate cages. They chirp to one another. When i put the cages side by side they both went to the walls of the cage and tried to get to one another. I felt so sad so i put them in frnt of each other again. Any advice, insight, or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also I am going to college in 5 days and want to take one of them with me even though pets arent allowed. My roommate whom ive never met before does not like the idea of me keeping a bird so I told her i will be keeping it in my room. Do you think it will be loud if i keep my door shut?

Thank you so much
Posted By: illusive Fantasy

Re: Separating two male parakeets? - 08/18/13 05:22 PM

first of all DO NOT take one with you...have respect for your roommate...if you don't and your roommate becomes irritated with you and the bird guess what will happen...the bird will pay the consequences for your own selfishness...

do not keep the cages together just separating them doesn't mean only in different cages it means.."separate" them ...put them across the room from each other or in different rooms altogether...

when feeding a bird from your hand your NOT taming OR training...please read other threads in here regarding that issue...what it does encourage is biting and it wont be long before your getting bit...no matter what this does nothing to gain trust during training...

training should also always be done with both birds in different cages away from each other which also needs to be done on a regular schedule which you will now not be able to do because your going to college...

something you may have thought better of when you got these birds...

bottom line...leave the bird at home...do not feed from your hand...and by the time you get home the birds will be older making it truly difficult to train...like any training goes with animals ...like I said a schedule needs to be maintained...consistency matters a LOT.

good luck to you in college...but don't put a bird in jeopardy when your roommate has already told you she DOESNT WANT THE BIRD THERE. AND..the college does not want it either...
Posted By: twinkleandbeaker

Re: Separating two male parakeets? - 08/19/13 12:05 AM

Okay, maybe I shouldve been more clear. First of all i want you to know that i thought long and hard about what you said and appreciate your opinion. She didnt know much about it i think she thought it was a big bird or something but then i let her know that i was willing to give it away if it became a problem, and that i wouldnt bring it with me at all if she was really against the idea. then she said it wouldnt be a problem and said we can give it a try. I know what you mean though. I want to respect her space too. We are all paying money to live there and if she was nt okay with it i wouldnt bring it. She was just so quick to judge without knowing anything about it. Also it is a 3-bedroom apartment and so we have one more roommate and that girl is very accepting of me having a bird since she loves animals. i dont want to sacrifice everything ive done for my bird (and bought!) and dont want to give him away without giving this a try at least.
I will definitely keep in mind what you said about being consistent with training.
I was actually trying out the methods on the lisashea website, the 5 steps, and he was stepping on the perch but it seemed to be going no where after that step.
Beaker looks a lot like your bird Cappy smile Hes the same exact color pretty much!

Beaker is a little old though are you saying it will be very difficult to train him even if hes alone?

Also how would you suggest i go about separating them? right now the cages are in front of each other and i have 5 days till i will need to take one with me. i dont want their hearts to be broken if i separate them all of the sudden. do you think it will be okay?
Posted By: Arlene123

Re: Separating two male parakeets? - 08/19/13 03:28 AM

When it comes to the Bucket Bag, I must have to mention Lancel, this brand from French which is very famous for the bucket bag, although it is not the originators, but it is the staunchest fan of bucket bags.
The leather bucket bags is a little different from other bags, its design can extend the volume of the bag, add some space to let you place more things.
© 2020 Lisa Shea Forum