Lisa Shea

shoulder sitting

Posted By: vypeman

shoulder sitting - 03/02/12 01:06 AM

Just wondering how long it took most of you to get your parakeet's to want to sit on your shoulder. My young male will sit on my hand just fine but that's it. even try to move him closer to me and he will fly off. He is well hand and perched train. I have no problems getting him to step up on my finger when I need him too.
Posted By: illusive Fantasy

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/02/12 01:44 AM

Try the old bait trick...entice him with something of his favorite veggies to go to your shoulder sit there and eat it.

usually tho they just go to your shoulder or head on their own eventually...how long have you had your bird and any pictures you can post here would be really special... laugh

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/02/12 01:46 AM

I've had him for about a month and a half. I don't rush him with anything. was just curious. Like I said, he will sit on my hand for a while until he decides he wants to fly around or play. don't have any problems with that

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/02/12 05:45 AM

well thats wonderful...sounds to me like your also right on time course for things and so is he...and yahhh they dont hang out all that long and whoooosh off again to whatever...then not long and zooooooooom they are dive bombing ya again... crazy

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/02/12 12:21 PM

what are good veggies to feed them? well what do they usually like to eat veggie wise?

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/02/12 02:10 PM

if you have a female you dont want to give any of these except maybe one twice a month as they are calcium inhibitors...they are

brocolli florettes, spinach, and parsley...if you have a male you can mix those can give twice a month....

otherwise not lettuce its useless...so forget it...and not chard as its LOADED with salt...and thats VERY bad for them.

so you can also give carrot..either fresh and chopped really small or get the frozen medley veggies that have corn..peas...carrots...those are all excellent..also some kale some chinese bean sprouts and the flat green pea pods.

try even some unsalted plain cooked pasta...

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/03/12 12:46 AM

here is Iago chilling on his cage door

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/03/12 12:47 AM

Here is Iago on the blinds above my computer. Yes that is a nail there. I put it up there and it's become his perch anytime I'm on the computer. He will sit up there and watch me the entire time.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/03/12 01:03 AM

Oh yeah, going to start working with him on talking. Is pretty bird a good phrase to start with?

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/03/12 01:05 AM

that bird is in FINEEEEEEE condition....keep it up laugh

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/03/12 05:52 PM

regarding teaching to talk....and sorry sometimes post are slow here so i didnt see your post initially about this earlier...however..yes any two word phrase that has P's and B's in it are the first types of words they will learn as those are the ones they more easily pick up on and have the ability to say in the beginning...

females take longer to speak but they can and will. I got tired of the amount of time it would generally take in training and hear my own voice repeating something over n over so what i did was this...

i used the recording facility that is with every computer built in with their windows and made a continous loop of a two word phrase that lasted 20mins...better than hearing myself for that length of time actually saying it ...id play it first thing in the morning when the bird...Cappy ...woke...and again just before his bedtime as thats when you will get the most attention out of them...

it took a month of sigh hearing this twice a day and finally he spoke his first two words...once they learn just a couple of things omg...from there on because these lil birds want so much to be able to fit in with their families...he was starting to repeat anything i was teaching him and learning a new phrase on the average of every two weeks doing things this way...needless to say he is now quite the chatter box...

good luck be patient and two keys to success on this is...speak the words VERY slowly ...just like in any other training you go slow...but speak slowly and CLEARLY...if possible let him or her watch your mouth when you do...the other thing is NO distractions...again as with any training distractions NEVER help. In other words no radio or tv on and no one around you to be disturbing either...a very quiet house at those times so the bird is listening to nothing else ...

good luck laugh
Posted By: Kathy A

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/03/12 11:04 PM

Really cute bird!
Posted By: Carol1956

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/04/12 01:20 AM

beautiful bird. love the pictures. Can't wait until mine come out of their cage and sit with me at the computer.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/04/12 01:47 AM

trust me giggle...yes you can ...cappy wants the keyboard all to himself and then he likes to try out the flavor of the mouse chord...believe me...you can wait laugh

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/04/12 01:50 PM

yeah, Iago likes to chew on anything as it is, I'm kind of glad he doesn't want to be around me and my computer all the time yet

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/04/12 08:02 PM

giggle there was another womans bird who was playing with her mouse chord and she didnt know that it was loose also where it plugs into the computer itself...and everytime the bird did this the mouse would go crazy...they cant really do any damage with their little mouths to the cord as small as it is but it still shouldnt be allowed for other obvious reasons as you wouldnt want the bird to become attracted to alllll chords...

but they do enjoy sitting with you and being a pest and nuisance when your trying to type...they like the sound of the keys being tapped on so try to do the same at that same time as you...but they can learn to have THEIR own time to errrrrrr type giggle..cappy often comes to the computer when im not even at it and will do this for a form of entertainment and the sounds it makes is pleasing to him...but he does no harm...welllll unless you count the poops all over the side of my computer desk when he sits on the edge and lets one fly...i just say...bombs away...giggle...strange tho...he doesnt do that on my mouse pad or keyboard....guess he sort of has potty trained himself that way.

now...if i could only potty train him when he sits on the top of my head... crazy

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/05/12 12:04 AM

Oh no.... Poops on the head is what I have to look forward to smile

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/05/12 12:07 AM

i think iago only poops out of his cage when he is on my hand

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/05/12 01:46 AM

Also, sitting on one foot and sleeping on your hand are both signs of comfort for the bird right?

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/05/12 02:55 AM

omg vype...most DEFINETELY thos are signs of comfort... laugh

yep kathy you sure do have that to look forward too.
Posted By: AndiBird.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/05/12 11:30 PM

I have that exact cage and lil swing!:) good luck i hope ur bird will talk soon! and andi jus poops were ever she dnt care haha!!

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/06/12 12:00 AM

He is to the point now that he thinks he has to be out of his cage if I'm home. He get's mad when I won't let him out to play

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/06/12 02:01 AM

well he has waited for how long to come out with you away??? thats natural ... smile

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/08/12 02:26 AM

Well looks like I have a lot to look forward to. Still can't wait LOL

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/08/12 04:39 AM

well carol like ive mentioned you should take out those mirrors so they will learn to bond with you instead of that nutty bird in the mirror laugh

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/08/12 12:50 PM

Hi illusive I did take out the mirrors. Got 2 new cages yesterday and am going to set them up today. So will have 1 bird in each cage. Just needed to wait for the money to buy the new cages, I bought the hagen vision cages you recommended. Once they are trained they will go into 2 cages of 2 each to save room.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/08/12 03:05 PM

Ok, what should I do to help with this problem. Iago doesn't like going back into his cage when he is out. If I need to leave, I have trouble getting him back into the cage. He gets on my hand just fine but as soon as I get him to the cage, he flies back to his perch above the window? Any ideas?

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/08/12 06:01 PM

whoa Carol you have FOUR BIRDS...WOW...i didnt realize that..unless i misunderstood which is quite possible... smile because you said two of each???

Vype...make him willing to go back ...perhaps when you let him out your not leaving him out long enuf...and he is just having so much fun...how long each time when you let him out is he out for...???

keep in mind how long he is IN...so when he gets out it should be for a couple hours...then i think he would be more willing to go back...also how big is HIS cage...if its small that could be another reason especially if maybe its also overcrowed with fun things...

for now you can hold in your hand a piece of leafy veggie...and walk slowly...if he lets you bring him close to your face before actually putting him in ...talk softly to him for a minute...always say a command too...like i say to cappy ...time to go in...just for a bit...and in a bit i will let him out again...even if just for a short while so he doesnt always think IN...means he isnt going to get a chance to come out again

they do understand... wink

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/08/12 06:59 PM

he gets out for hours at a time. right now he is in trouble for biting. he just started that last night while sitting on my hand. that's one thing I don't put up with from any animal I've had.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/08/12 10:47 PM

Yes I have 4 birds and just rescued 2 more. These are about 6 months old and were kept in a very tiny cage by an elderly woman who is not able to take care of them any more.

Originally Posted By: illusive Fantasy
whoa Carol you have FOUR BIRDS...WOW...i didnt realize that..unless i misunderstood which is quite possible... smile because you said two of each???

Vype...make him willing to go back ...perhaps when you let him out your not leaving him out long enuf...and he is just having so much fun...how long each time when you let him out is he out for...???

keep in mind how long he is IN...so when he gets out it should be for a couple hours...then i think he would be more willing to go back...also how big is HIS cage...if its small that could be another reason especially if maybe its also overcrowed with fun things...

for now you can hold in your hand a piece of leafy veggie...and walk slowly...if he lets you bring him close to your face before actually putting him in ...talk softly to him for a minute...always say a command too...like i say to cappy ...time to go in...just for a bit...and in a bit i will let him out again...even if just for a short while so he doesnt always think IN...means he isnt going to get a chance to come out again

they do understand... wink

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/08/12 10:48 PM

and i agree with the bitting especially if its a warning or threatening type...question is ..what did YOU do to promote that ..as something was done or how old is your bird again...im sorry to have to ask as i dont go thru threads from beginning to end and there are many of you so i lose track so please forgive my asking again...

ok here we go..if he is out for hours then...try this...as mentioned above have a veggie treat in your hand and important as you did not say how big is your cage dimension wise and the door opening..

let your bird out for say ohhhhh a hour..then slowly try to bring it back and like i said talk softly to it BEFORE just putting it in and tell the bird ..just for a little bit..wait a half hour ...let the bird OUT again...for another hour and then repeat these things ...till the bird realizes ok so it has to go in but..it can come out again shortly ..this will eventually let and show the bird ..going in doesnt mean it wont be able to come out again SOON.

now next question what did you do when the bird bit you...how did YOU react...??? A bird doesnt bite in a defying mean way unless something really in its mind ticked it off.. so you need to think ...what did YOU do and then what did YOU do after...

please also remember these are very very small birds and any harsh thing we do to them can be very upsetting and stressful to them but i do agree...a bird should not be allowed to BITE HARD unless for a good reason...so lets look at that... smile

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/09/12 01:19 PM

after thought...another reason maybe he doesnt want to go back to cage as i viewed the cage ...is not enough toys to encourage activity levels inside it... just a thought smile

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/10/12 06:25 PM

Bought him a couple more toys for his cage today plus a big play area for outside the cage. Just got that built and Iago hasn't gone around it yet but he is staring at it hard. Haven't been having any problems at all with him the past couple days. He even let me pet him a little bit today until he decided it was enough and flew back to his perch on the blinds.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/10/12 07:56 PM

maybe he was in moult or is in moult too which can make them a bit grumpy at times...have you brought him over to the play area and set him on it ...if you can lol...???

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/10/12 09:48 PM

*lol* I've tried a couple times to bring him over too it and he just flies back to the blinds. He wants nothing to do with it yet so I'll just let him discover it or once it gets dark outside, he will go anywhere I want him to go. He don't like the night I don't think. *lol*

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/10/12 11:00 PM

well most dont like darkness...and im sure you can figure out why.

just keep trying maybe just a couple feet closer and stand there showing it to him...always moving slowly...without trying to rush it....and in the meantime ...lol...when he is watching...YOU play with the toys on it. smile

its strange sometimes how cappy will take a whole month to check something out and other times he is so in my face checking...

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/11/12 02:54 PM

Ok, going to keep a running tab on how long it takes Iago to figure out the new playground set is for him. Day 2 and he wants nothing to do with it yet. :P Hehe, I go over and play with it and he yells at me like I'm messing with one of his toys in his cage. I think he knows it's for him but he wants to be a pain in the butt on using it. :P

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/11/12 06:06 PM

aha yes then he does know its for him and eventually because its upsetting him YOUR playing with it and he hasnt mustered up the courage yet ... too cute...wayyyyy funny but yep...what a lil rascal...but

its true some of cappys things like lets say his platform took him a long time to use it ...in a week he investigated it ONCE...then left it alone for a entire month ...id about given up NOW he uses it alllll the time...

keets can be soooo strange ...drive ya nuts... laugh

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/11/12 11:00 PM

out most of the day and he still won't go anywhere near it but he watches me and still yells at me if I play with it. Little chicken. :P

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/11/12 11:51 PM

move it really close to his cage if its the type you can do that with...im cracking up ...he will in time...just keep doing what your doing.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/12/12 11:03 PM

It's on top of his cage now and he still won't go to it. he flies into his care and stares up at it. I think he would rather play with the blinds and chew them up. :P

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/13/12 12:58 AM

He got on top of his cage and checked it out for a couple minutes tonight and then went back down and into his cage. He is starting to get braver

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/13/12 01:54 AM

He is getting closer and closer to playing with it.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/13/12 03:56 AM

lol well maybe the idea of it crashing in thru the top of the cage has been holding him back also...where its "looming" above him.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/13/12 11:20 AM

No, it don't stay there. I just put it up there yesterday since he likes going on top of his cage. It don't stay there

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/14/12 01:27 AM

haha, Iago is sitting on one of the perches on his new play area. He kind of messed with the rope a little but is mainly just sitting on the top perch checking it all out. I tricked him up there by putting some spray millet in the little feed bowl on it and he couldnt resist going after that.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/22/12 07:39 PM

Iago cracks me up. If I walk over to him and hold out my hand he gets right on it and will actually sit on it and go to sleep, but that's the only way he comes around me. He won't come to me at all by himself. Plus he will only sit on my hand, no where else on me and you don't even try to pet him. he gets mad at flies off. but he don't have a problem sleeping and pooping on my hand. :p

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/22/12 08:47 PM

lol on the pooping ..start not giving treats as rewards especially millet use instead to get him going on veggies which is way more important than millet which can cause nare issues as well as at time impacted crop...he needs to learn to come or go to things without a treat always being involved...

smile

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/22/12 09:58 PM

vypeman...we are in the same place. Chirp is excellent at the step up, but I know he would rather being doing other things. smile He will get on my shoulder though while I read and I can hear him grinding his little beak so I assume he's content to be there. he won't take any treats from me at this point and I've tried everything. Now we just do our "quiet time" together and I'm happy for it.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/22/12 10:27 PM

Taking treats is NOT a necessity at all in fact its best when its not done as after awhile none of us always use treats to reward or get the bird to do something...its only once in awhile we would hold some fresh veggies in our finger tips to have them enjoy dinning with us so to speak...but dinning full out with us is also a no no really. smile

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/23/12 11:16 AM

I can't get him to eat any fresh veggies. I've tried a few differnt ones like carrots and he won't touch them. was the only food I had in his cage for a full day and he just didn't eat.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/23/12 12:11 PM

vype...like anything you dont try just once...it took Cappy 8 MONTHS to try his first veggie and that was offering him many things EVERY DAY...done different ways...they will go for the leafy green veggies quicker...but you sometimes have to try them MANY ways ..cooked..semi cooked..raw...diced really teeny and again...like toys you have to show them what to do...make believe your eating the veggies just dont give up but do make sure to have something EVERY day available...and SHOW the bird make believe eating it every time also... smile

his first veggie he decided to try was brocolli florettes raw...he hated anything cooked mushy... now tho he doesnt mind somethings mushy that he didnt like before...took the longest time with him to do carrots...baby spinach...brocolli florettes...kale...chinese bean sprouts plain cooked pasta ...there is so many things dont stop with one thing after only one day.

save this website its the best list ive ever found on all things safe and non toxic and things toxic...

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/non-toxic-for-birds.html

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/23/12 01:15 PM

Oh, I'm not giving up. I've been trying different things every day. :P He reminds me of little kids not wanting to eat if it was something new

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/23/12 01:50 PM

bingo that about does describe it...with Cappy a lot of things he is real slow to adjust to but when he does HOLY CRAP and other things i cant get into the cage fast enough for him to want to check it out.. crazy

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/24/12 09:32 PM

well bad news from me. I came home about an hour ago and found Iago dead in his cage. Not sure what happened since he was a really young bird and had spent the morning out playing like normal. He didn't show any signs of something being wrong

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/25/12 12:42 AM

OH MY GOSH VYPE im soooooooo sorry to hear this news...how disheartening...and especially when one doesnt know what the cause was ..only a vet could tell you that now if you were to take him to a vet to find out the issue...

i know how excited you were getting and to have this happen so suddenly...there can only be tons of questions wondering what or what could have happened...

again...very sorry for this loss. frown

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/25/12 01:09 AM

I'm wondering if he fell in his cage. there has been more then one occasion he has crashed to the bottom in his cage when he was hanging upside down. The bad thing is, he actually sat on my shoulder this morning. There was nothing wrong with him when he was out. He play just like normal

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/25/12 01:26 AM

So sorry to hear of this bad news VYPE. You must be devastated. He was getting so good with you. My heart goes out to you.

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/25/12 01:48 AM

vype dont do this to yourself it could of been anything...i doubt tho it was because he fell while hanging upside down this is natural for a bird giggle crazy as they are...you would have to go thru everything in the last couple of weeks to try to figure it out and thats torture so just have sweet memories...but if i wasssss to try to figure it out with you id start with ANYTHING new in the line of food that you may have gave...or cleaners used around him ...or do you have non stick cookware someone may have used during your absence...but to actually know in the end...is a guess at best...would be nice to try to eliminate a few things tho as you dont want to have this repeated IF and i say IF it was something that could of been avoided...just please dont torture yourself over this ...he was a sweet bird and im sure VERY GRATEFUL for the wonderful love and attention you did give to him...

Re: shoulder sitting - 03/26/12 09:03 PM

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss vypeman! haven't been on here is a few day...that's so sad to read and it's extra hard on you when you don't know what went wrong. You did the best you could for your bird.
Posted By: twinkleandbeaker

Re: shoulder sitting - 08/19/13 06:53 PM

how did you train him to sit on your perch and finger?

Re: shoulder sitting - 08/19/13 08:13 PM

first of all get a long wooden dowel from any hardware dept...cage size helps and NOT chasing down the bird with your perch or "hand"

rest perch on a perch the bird sits on and don't be so close to it...just sit there and let the perch sit on the same perch the bird is on...once the bird is comfortable with this for several minutes without trying to get away...then you move the perch SLOWLY a little closer...still NOT right up to the bird and repeat the process...do not ever chase the bird down with the perch...or try to touch the bird before its ready...

this can take a good week for just step one of this doing it twice a day before even moving a bit closer for step two...

best be comfortable and prepared not to move around yourself while doing this and only speaking soft to the bird while going thru this twice a day for ten minutes each time...best times after the bird eats in the morning and again just before you cover for the night

HAND TRAINING not "fingers" is best...reassures the bird more and give less area for the bird to nip on a small finger...and you do the same process as with the perch training....

when you finally can get close enough say UP and just sit there...the bird will TEST both the perch and your hand at some point meaning jump on for a second only...that's HUGE...as he or she progresses it will be a few seconds this shows you have made big progress.

at this point when BOTH perch and HAND training is on its way...id open the door AFTER birdie proofing everything and making sure no one will be going in and out doors...and just go away...and let the bird try to come out on its own...if it doesn't first time that's ok...and don't try to take it out of the cage either...

and don't panic if it crashes and falls and run to it...just let the bird stay where it is for 5 minutes to get its bearings then approach it with the perch and you being low...say UP then you slowly get up and walk NEAR the cage and let the bird fly to it...again leave it alone at this point to go inside the cage on its own or remain out for awhile...that's a good days lesson...till the next time
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum