Lisa Shea

New Cage

Posted By: Skittles and Peaches

New Cage - 12/31/05 05:02 PM

I've been wanting to get Skittles a new cage for a while now, and after showing this to my mom, she said I can get it (in other words- you can get it if you pay).

What do you all think about this cage?
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=7112&sku=799947&redirectURL=%2fShop%2fProductList.aspx%3fPC%3dproductlist%26Nav%3d265%26N%3d25%2520122&PC=productlist&Nav=265&N=25+122

I'm still trying to figure out the shipping costs (that's confusing confused ).

Do you think that would be a little to large for him? He's an only parakeet, so I'm hoping the cage won't be overwhelming. I wish to get him a friend, but my parents don't seem to agree with me there. So, what do you think about the cage? (Oooh, and it's on sale!)
Posted By: Frosty*Sonny*Cloud

Re: New Cage - 12/31/05 06:43 PM

No cage is too large for a parakeet, at least that's what I've always been told. Just make sure the perches are the right size because perches are really important. You might want to wait for other replys though.
Posted By: Frosty*Sonny*Cloud

Re: New Cage - 12/31/05 06:45 PM

I don't know about this cage though, it's kind of skinny, I'm not an expert so I don't know if a parakeet does better in a fat cage or a tall cage.
Posted By: horsewise

Re: New Cage - 12/31/05 06:47 PM

parakeets really need wider cages than tall cages. its a really nice cage but for less money you could get a very wide one that skittles would like much better. theyre supposed to have an 18x18 cage and its only 18x14 so really it might be a bit small...
Posted By: Ragnorr

Re: New Cage - 12/31/05 11:16 PM

Every thing I understand about keet care from my exp is that this cage is not good for your pet. Its to skinny and there are much wider and keet appropriate cages available at that price, albiet the stand.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Cage - 12/31/05 11:24 PM

a flight cage is much better for a budgie. They fly horizontal not verticle. I have a big cage 36x20x20 and only paid 40.00
Posted By: Koolmist

Re: New Cage - 12/31/05 11:44 PM

You may also want to check a site called www.craigslist.org you may find one in your area for cheap there..

Re: New Cage - 12/31/05 11:46 PM

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open for one. laugh

Re: New Cage - 12/31/05 11:50 PM

By the way your very lucky Skittles has some very nice color to him, and he looks very happy!!
Posted By: kiwilucy

Re: New Cage - 01/01/06 12:16 AM

Yeah I would say that the cage you posted is a bit narrow. Birds do fly horizontally; they don't lift off like little helicopters.

A flight cage, and for that matter the biggest cage possible is best for your bird. Try Drs. Foster and Smith, Pet Solutions, and Ebay. Just make sure that the bar size/spacing is appropriate for keets.

Re: New Cage - 01/01/06 12:42 AM

Hey Skittle bird I was just on drsfostersmith and found this one for cheap.. from what I could see it's a nice sized cage.. check it out and good luck cage shopping!!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12442&N=2003+2035+113646
Posted By: Sablemerle

Re: New Cage - 01/01/06 12:49 AM

Some birds do like to fly vertically...that cage would be great for a bunch of finches. For budgies, you want to focus on getting a cage wider than it is tall.

For what its worth, you can get a 30x18x18 cage at Petco for $40...$35 if you sign up for Petco's discount card.

Re: New Cage - 01/01/06 01:04 AM

Man i got jipped... I spent $30 on a small single bird cage..I might have to go back and see if I can get a better deal...petsmart...hmmmm
Posted By: skippy_and_pippy

Re: New Cage - 01/01/06 05:29 AM

Originally posted by Animom:
a flight cage is much better for a budgie. They fly horizontal not verticle. I have a big cage 36x20x20 and only paid 40.00
Woah, ANimom! You got another new cage!?! I bet you can start a pet store by now.
And what a great bargain...dare I ask where you got it?

Re: New Cage - 01/01/06 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone. I looked at that cage you put a link to- looks nice. I'll still be shopping around some. smile
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum