Lisa Shea

missing parakeets

Posted By: laila3

missing parakeets - 04/27/11 12:36 AM

my parakeets were missing.the boy parakeet was yellow and green and the girl parakeet was white and light blue.in the morning i put the cage outside on the balcony and then later on the birds were gone and the cage was fallen down on the ground and cage door was facing toward the ground.i don't think it was a cat and there were no feathers.did someone steal them or did they escape?i really miss them. how do i get them back? please help!
Posted By: kksuns

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 02:11 AM

Oh no!
I doubt that someone stole them..they would have taken cage and all.
All you can do is keep looking and calling to them. Set their cage back up with food/water where they can see it and possibly return to it. Put posters up around your town. Alert your neighbors. Call vets and rescue places in your area in case someone finds then and turns them in.
Sometimes playing a tape of other keets sounds might help attract them.
Good luck laila..I hope you find them.
What is the weather like where you live?

Tis the season for sooo much of this going on. Lost my bird(s)..or found bird(s)
If taking them out to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air make sure the cage is VERY secure. Tape or zip tie things closed. Including the base of cage.
Make sure the cage is STABLE. And never leave unattended!!! Never leave them in the hot sun where there is no shade they can get in to....

Other do's n don't anyone??
Posted By: Jessica Cole

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 03:25 AM

I stopped taking any budgie outside after my first parakeet, Inochii, died. Long and sad story...

All that you've mentioned, Kksuns, is very good. I, too, doubt that anyone has stolen them. In truth, they probably flew away. Keep calling to them. Maybe you could put on bird sounds. A cage is supposedly consider a 'safe haven', and they usually go back to it. Set the cage out with the door open and they might come back. All of Kksuns ideas are good.

Good luck!
Posted By: tessboss

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 12:00 PM

All you can do at this point is hope they come back to your cage for food and security. I am sorry this happened.

I think maybe the wind knocked over the cage and it opened but it really doesn't matter now.

Lesson learned for all of us ...the hard way.
Posted By: illusive Fantasy

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 03:46 PM

yep tess the lesson is NEVER leave a bird outside unattended for even one minute.
Posted By: kayyyla

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 06:08 PM

I am very sorry about your birds! I've been letting lady outside almost everyday, she loves it, but i do tie her doors and put her in a secure place. I am sure you will find them and I wish you luck! There is no lesson, mistakes happen, she is probably a mess right now, so i'm pretty sure your attitude is not needed.

But, all of the other suggestions are great! please talk to neighbors also.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 07:37 PM

What attitude???

You are wrong Kayyla...VERY wrong.
The lesson is NEVER leave your bird outside unattended. You have no idea how many have had something happen to their bird(s) when left outside for only a minute. WEEE know, we've been hear to hear the reports and it is sad and heartbreaking for the owner for sure.
So yeah...that means you too, don't leave lady outside if you are not right there with her every minute.
Posted By: Connor G

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 08:20 PM

Agreed,

Even if everything is tied down things happen, so Kayla it's not very nice when someone is trying to help by stating a fact! And there was no attitude at all whatsoever.
Posted By: skycastle

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 08:59 PM

frown I'm really sorry to hear about your birds. frown Hope you find them somehow.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 09:22 PM

I never meant to have an attitude and I am sure laila feels terrible and heart broken but many people would not even think of tying the cages, or watching the birds outside so closely.

For all those birdy lovers this is a lesson learned from a very heart broken bird lover and I am sorry she had this happen.

I hope very much her birds are found. By reading this thread it gives us all a wake up call to be diligent, I meant no harm kayyyla

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 09:44 PM

as connor said there was no attitude whatsoever...

but it is like also what tess said...its a wake up call to be diligent and it does become a lesson learned to never leave a bird unattended while its outside...

nobody wants to see something like this happen and no harm was meant by anyone with what was expressed.
Posted By: Calliou

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 09:53 PM

Oh wow... I pray they do come home or that you find them somehow....

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 10:59 PM

how far do you think they are right now

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 11:30 PM

That all depends laila. They might be still in the area around your house..or they might be further off. A lot can even depend on the wind..which way it's blowing and how strong it is. These guys are not used to flying outside and can get caught on a breeze which could take them a long way further than they plan.

Where do you live..and what has the weather been like?
Have you been calling to them? Alerted neighbors and all?

Re: missing parakeets - 04/27/11 11:32 PM

They might be right by your house, you never know. Did you try leaving the cage out in the open with the door wide open?

I sure hope you have a positive outcome, we are all rooting for you. Prayers help too.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 12:07 AM

I was basically just refering to illusive. When somebody is in distress about their animals, i wouldn't want someone just replying "lesson learned." Just because everyone here bows down to her, thats fine. But, if i was upset and this happened to my bird, I wouldn't be asking for an attitude. Suggestions are good. Like many of you made great suggestions, and thats prefect. This is a forum, not a critic. This is a great website and has more than enough information, stories, and pictures. Also, great for people like me who are unsure and need to ask questions. If my cat got outside and went missing, i would like suggestions. I don't want people telling me I should learn my lesson on how to avoid letting my cat get out. jeez, relax.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 12:10 AM

BTW, i don't leave her outside. I actually had a "sanctuary" built onto the window. It's basically a bird cage in the window and she goes in there whenever the weather is nice and the winds aren't harsh.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 12:50 AM

in this area the weather is a little breezy and a little hot sometimes and i am trying my best. also i have been calling them and i left the door open. i really hope they come back

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 12:55 AM

when they were here i didn't call with there names alot.i record other parakeets chirping so i am using that right now

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 01:08 AM

i don't under stand how they escaped, the doors were closed and everything was secure.the food was sctared around

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 01:21 AM

Kayla I am offended you say that people "bow down to illusive!" Illusive is a very nice person and just saying "lesson learned" doesn't mean she means it in a snotty way! She is saying that now that this tragic event has occured, she won't make that mistake again! Shenis just trying to help geez, you can't sugar these types of things whit these birds, they are living breathing creatures! For us on this forum they are like children that's why we joined the forum so we can give these birds the best life possible. But you shouldn't take offense when she says those things she doesn't mean them like that I'm sure of that.
Posted By: Katie Garvey

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 01:58 AM

hahaha im sorry guys i had to make a comment! ik this might make somone mad! but this is just my personall opinion so dont get offendend(:(:(: hahah so isnt seriusly tying your bird to a door considered abuse?? im just wondering hahahaha like i said personal opinion and kayla theres a reason people respect illusive!!!!!!!! HEEE HAS GOOOD ADVICE SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD TAKE SOME OF IT! smiley face exclamation mark(:!

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 02:02 AM

They are not TYING their bird to the door! They are tying the door SHUT! Lol! And ummmmmmm illusive is a woman!

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 02:07 AM

Kayyla, I too am offended by your saying people bow down to illusive. That's bull
It's quite obvious that you have had it out for her from the get go. No matter WHAT she says you take offense and take it the wrong way. If you were to reread the thread it wasn't even ILLUSIVE who brought up a lesson being learned in the first place..but YOU attacked HER over it.
There most certainly IS a lesson to be learned so why not say so? Others will learn the dos and don'ts of taking their birds outside....in other words lessons.
We respect illusive's suggestions. We all, or MOST of us, respect EACH OTHER here. We learn from each other and share what we know.
If anyone needs to relax it's you.Chill out and stop thinking we(or mainly illusive) are being offensive with everything we say. The OP didn't have a problem so why should you?
geeez is right
Why so much drama? Why can't everyone just get along for cripes sake???
Posted By: Katie Garvey

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 02:09 AM

im soo sorry illusive!): i didnt kno im soo sorrrryyyy!): and kayla chill out girl(:
Posted By: Toony

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 02:56 AM

Kayla,birds are living creatures and NEED to be treated very carefully! I wouldnt even suggest that kids have birds! (i know your all going to yell at me but i know this because i have a lot of 2nd grade fans who always ask for help about bringing their birds for show and tell and stuff even when im strict about it, they'll either say ,"what? you said that? you didnt say that?" or something else, this is why illusive has to be strict to people who dont take care of birds properly, and in this case she wasnt even being strict! she was being helpful!). There are alot of kids (or curious adults) in this forum and thats why everyone tries to lend a hand to make them understand. Everyone has a different way of suggesting and teaching, XPR suggests in a manner of how humans relate to budgies or how budgies need to be treated correctly, kksuns takes it slow and nice and easy, illusive wants to make sure that people get the right information. You might think wrong about her since shes always correcting people but thats a very good thing! She always wants the best which is why she made her very own bird formula! Kayla be part of the group/team/whatever!

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 02:58 AM

Also a good idea would be to put the bird cage on top of the roof so that if the budgies are in a tree (which is most likely) they'll be able to see it. I also read that most parrots who escape dont know how to fly downward from trees! So unless its windy i would suggest putting the bird cage on top of the roof ( or the highest place available).

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 03:04 AM

It does seem that Kayla has had it out for illusive ever since she has taken offense to yet another thing illusive said. I don't know why she just has and it's not fair for illusive.
Posted By: pepperandrocky

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 03:11 AM

Here is a link to the article of what to do if a budgie escapes. It's from Lisa Shea's site about parakeets
http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/articles/bird_escape.html

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 03:18 AM

If the budgie is untamed i would put the tape recorder underneath the desk and i would suggest not beign so near to the cage that way the budgie knows that nothing dangerous is around. If it sees a big black tape recorder it might hesitate and make a second choice

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 03:22 AM

Just need to add, people need to be reinforced in different ways they cant just be reinforced nicely and kindly, they also need someone to keep them on their toes and make sure they understand. Its good that Illusive is making sure people are getting the correct info and its also nice that kksuns trying to talk it out nicely, its good we have Cetan to put in her extra facts, and its also good we have the surrounding members to put up good arguments (not arguments like fighting lol) about like pellets VS seeds, or aviaries VS indoor cages and so on
Posted By: Jessica Cole

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 07:40 AM

Laila - The weather sounds relatively good there. Since budgies are native to Australia, I don't think the temperature will bother them. If it rains and storms, it may cause problems. It is hard to tell what really happened, since you described the cage as lying on it's side awkwardly with the doors shut. I really hope they return. It's been a few days, but they may still be around. The recordings are a good idea. They love that! Please, keep us updated!

Lesson learned, indeed. I can relate. I don't think I was even on this forum when I had my first parakeet, Inochii. But, I always took him outside on my shoulder...loose! My sister took him outside for the last time one day while I was cleaning the cage. I completely gave her permission too. In the end, he flew off her shoulder, one of our cats jumped on him, and he died of either a heart attack or a broken neck. All in all, he's gone. His life was short and his death was tragic. In my opinion, BUILD AN OUTDOOR AVIARY! It's safer! And take time to build a SAFE outdoor aviary.

Kayyla - I, too, take offense to your accusations. Illusive has been a great help to me and many other people on this forum. She's been involved with birds for, I assume, many years. She helped me get information about getting a bigger bird and she's even given me wonderful recipes, which I've yet to make, but I do my best for now. In her defense, like I said before, LESSON LEARNED, INDEED. Mistakes are lessons. We learn from them. It is extremely jawdropping that you would say that we're all "Illusive worshippers" or whatever. We've all become friends here through our experiences. I'd like to be friends with you too, Kaayla. So, please swallow your pride, because no one is here to harm anybody in anyway.

Now, I'm exhausted, so...goodnight, everyone!
Posted By: PDM

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 09:25 AM

I just typed out a post, which then got lost in the ether frown

Laila, I am really very sorry about what has happened and very much hope that your birds will return home soon.

Sadly, so many learning experiences can cause pain.

I am also sorry that this thread has caused arguments. Certainly, sometimes, when people are feeling down, they are not ready for criticism, but, I think that all of the members who mentioned 'lessons' were being sympathetic ~ and simply stating a truism.

Tess certainly sounded both sympathetic and empathetic when she said 'lesson learned' ~ and others simply stated what you now already know ~ that one has to be very, very careful when taking pet birds outside.

Take care and good luck smile

PDM. Moderator.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 09:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Kayyyla
.... There is no lesson, mistakes happen, she is probably a mess right now, so i'm pretty sure your attitude is not needed......

I was basically just refering to illusive. When somebody is in *distress about their animals, i wouldn't want someone just replying "lesson learned." Just because everyone here bows down to her, thats fine. But, if i was upset and this happened to my bird, I wouldn't be asking for an attitude. ..... This is a forum, not a critic. .....

Hello kayyyla

As you say, this is a forum and, as such, people will respond to the posts.

I do not think that people were being unfriendly or critical of Laila; simply saying that life is a series of learning experiences and, for Laila, this 'mistake' was one of them. I am sure that we all wish her well and hope that her birds will return safely.

You say that it was Illusive Fantasy to whom you were referring, for replying with "lesson learned" ~ yet, unless I have read this wrong, it was not she who said "lesson learned." Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is how I read the responses.

Tessboss: 'Lesson learned for all of us ...the hard way.'

Illusive Fantasy: 'yep tess the lesson is NEVER leave a bird outside unattended for even one minute.'

KKsuns: 'The lesson is NEVER leave your bird outside unattended.'

Tessboss: 'For all those birdy lovers this is a lesson learned from a very heart broken bird lover and I am sorry she had this happen.'

Illusive Fantasy: 'there was no attitude whatsoever... but it is like also what tess said...its a wake up call to be diligent and it does become a lesson learned to never leave a bird unattended while its outside... nobody wants to see something like this happen and no harm was meant by anyone with what was expressed.'

KKsuns: 'There most certainly IS a lesson to be learned so why not say so? Others will learn the dos and don'ts of taking their birds outside....in other words lessons.'

Jessica Cole: 'Lesson learned, indeed. I can relate. like I said before, LESSON LEARNED, INDEED. Mistakes are lessons. We learn from them.'

Kayyyla ~ and everyone else ~ please, if you feel that anyone on this forum is displaying an unacceptable 'attitude', or if you feel that other members are supporting such an 'attitude', or if you see any rules being broken, then do click on 'notify', rather than taking the matter into your own hands, so that the moderators can check ~ and double-check ~ all of the facts. Thank you smile

Laila, if you feel that you have been treated unfairly, or over-critically, then please let the moderators know ~ I am sorry that your problem thread has descended into a certain amount of unpleasantness. smile

PDM. Moderator.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 01:30 PM

Wow, I cannot believe all this commotion about one little comment, that was meant completely from the heart.

And I am sorry to have caused Illusive to be attacked again. She was only agreeing with me.

Unfortunately it has taken away all the heart felt care/concern we have for laila and her birds.

I for one will not mention the incident regarding lessons learned again. Sorry laila. Please keep us posted, we all care.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 05:00 PM

once AGAIN thank you to all for your support...i do greatly appreciate it and how you also put yourselves out there to do that ...it means and speaks volumns ...

and thank you also PDM for taking your time to hopefully bring this to a end.

tess...you did nothing wrong, and i saw nothing wrong with the comments made...continue to be who you are.

and tess there is nothing wrong about lessons learned..its a point from which we can all hopefully grow and learn...otherwise ..whats the point.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 08:15 PM

Yes thank you PDM hopefully this will stop. I agree tess it is an important lesson that everyone has learned from.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 10:40 PM

what if someone stole them then how would i find.can i still them if were to be a week and a half

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 10:45 PM

Okay, well, everyone has their opinion and i am sticking to mine. I believe she was out to get me from the moment i joined this forum. I do not care if any of you want to comment. There is a DIFFERENCE between being a critic and trying to help. I don't care if i was RANDOM with my OFFENSIVE comment either. I am a wonderful pet owner, I know lots about all types of animals and i am still learning about taking care of my bird, whom is doing very well, thank you. I actually have quite a few messages from people who 100% agree with me about illusive. Yes, your advice and suggestions are great, but no need to be smart all the time. Sympathy is nice once in a while. I don't care if you've known her for quite a while. NONE OF YOU know me as a person, so don't judge me. I am not a CHILD, unlike some people on here, I am an adult. I apologize if many of you are offended by my comment, but i am not everyone else. If i don't like someones comments, i will let you know about it. I have nothing else to say.

Katie: no need for :):):) thank ya GIRL.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/28/11 11:55 PM

can you gugs stop fighting and help me find my birds
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Re: missing parakeets - 04/29/11 12:02 AM

Laila I am sorry about all this commotion. I think your best bet is to just keep doing what you have been doing, posting flyers everywhere, keeping the cage outside and so on. I am praying they come home and you and your birds are always in my thoughts.
Posted By: jilly

Re: missing parakeets - 04/29/11 12:05 AM

Yes, please, let's all take a deep breath and agree to be respectful to each other regardless of what we think privately about anyone personally. This thread is about helping someone find her poor lost birds, and helping other people not lose their birds. smile

As a moderator, I am going to be keeping an eye on this thread and I would like to see it return to one topic - that of helping Laila. She needs our help. If we can't stay on topic and be helpful to a fellow pet owner in need, I will lock this thread and we can start again fresh if need be.

Let us to try to focus on our member who needs help.

If anyone else feels defensive or offensive, talk it out privately. Thank you.

Re: missing parakeets - 04/29/11 12:10 AM

thank you for all your support i really hope my bird come back or that i find them!

Re: missing parakeets - 04/29/11 12:24 AM

Laila, Can I perhaps suggest that you put up some posters in the area? Perhaps in libraries or petshops etc?

Please be sure to keep yourself safe, though, if you do decide to do this.

Good luck smile

Re: missing parakeets - 04/29/11 12:30 AM

you could also ask if you can post a flyer in your local postoffice and local stores...and be available at your local churces after services to pass out some flyers as well...
Posted By: Calliou

Re: missing parakeets - 04/29/11 11:22 AM

Anything yet? I've been thinking of you....

Re: missing parakeets - 05/02/11 11:55 PM

no luck!this morning i saw this cat sitting on my balcony looking at the cage then i shoo the cat away.i am trying my best. please suggest anything else i can do,please!

Re: missing parakeets - 05/03/11 12:01 AM

I am sorry laila, I have been thinking about you. I cannot think of another thing you can do. It is pretty hard to know where they are because they fly. Heck, they could be next door or a mile away.

I say more prayers and maybe the prayers will be heard.

Re: missing parakeets - 05/03/11 12:02 AM

so sorry to hear laila but there is nothing else especially if you dont have pictures you can post in places and vet shops...or pet shops...but do write descriptions and keep posting flyers allll over...

Re: missing parakeets - 05/03/11 12:56 PM

I am sorry to hear this Laila.

You have all of us supporting you, but we can only hope and keep our fingers crossed for you.

Have you put up any posters, or asked around about parakeets that might have been found?

Even if you don't have your own photos, perhaps you can find some pictures online, of birds that are very similar to yours???

Good luck smile
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum