Lisa Shea

What temperature is too cold for a parakeet?

Posted By: Paulina

What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/13/09 06:31 PM

Hey Guys! I wanted to ask what temperature is too cold for a parakeet? I have Jade for almost a year now. I got her on December the 6th last year and Ive only been through one winter with her. I can't remember how I kept her warm last year but it's really cold here and for some weird reason, in my room where I keep her it's always freezing cold. I move her around the house and she flies outside of her cage to stay warm but when I'm gone and it's raining like crazy or really cold, I get worried and I don't know how to make sure she stays warm or how to keep the temprature in my room warm. I keep the door closed and the window is closed or left a little open so fresh air goes in but it's still cold. She puffes up alot latley and I think it's too cold for her in the night and she sleeps during the day. I don't think she is sick because when she is in a warmer spot she acts fine. She eats and drinks even when it's cold but she doesn't jump around her cage if it gets too cold around her. I keep her cage covered in the night and I cover it during the day if it gets colder, but it really bugs me when she gets puffed up because I'm not sure if she is too cold or relaxed. I have a feeling that she is cold and I really want to do something about it but the heater can't be on all day and I can't figure out why it's so cold in my room when in other places of the house it is warmer. Thanks in advance to all the helpers! You guys are the best blush
Posted By: Love My Budgies

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/13/09 06:44 PM

Budgies are from Australia, where nights in the desert drop to 50F or lower. That said, Budgies in captibity are said to live longer and healthier when kept between 64F-74F.
I keep a thermometer on their cage (but out of their reach) and another further away in the same room to monitor temps and try to keep my home at 70F.
Posted By: kksuns

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/13/09 06:56 PM

Hi Paulina, Long time no see. How have you been?
Can you get a thermometer for your room so you know exactly what temp it is? I try to keep the room my guys are in at around 70 degrees too.
What kind of heat do you have in your house? Is the heat duct/register to your room possibly not working right?
hmm Can you get an electric heater with a thermostat for your room and keep it set at at least 65 to maybe 70 degrees? I got one so that I can turn out heat down at night and it works great for keeping them warm at night. (If you do use an electric heater it has to be ceramic)A lamp, like a desk lamp, near her cage to keep her warm while she's in her cage? I do that too sometimes, esp after a bath. Or cover with an electric blanket or use a hating pad in the bottom of cage under the grate at night?
Love your avi slide show BTW smile

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/13/09 06:57 PM

Thanks for letting me know smile I also keep a thermoneter in my room and it's close to Jades cage.

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/13/09 07:24 PM

Hey kksuns! I'm fine, thanks smile What about you?
I have a thermoneter in my room and it's close to Jades cage. She gets puffed up already at 65F so I think she's cold. The air conditioner is on heat and we turn it on when it gets really cold but when you wear warm clothes, 64F isn't so cold for me. I can get an electric heater for my room and turn it on in the night. I cover Jades cage and I do turn on the desk lamp next to her but I don't think it helps so much. Luckly, I looked every where and I just found my heating pad so I will keep it under her cage and I hope she feels warmer smile
Thanks you! laugh
Posted By: Jessica Cole

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/14/09 06:50 AM

I got an electric heating pad from the store. (Well, my DAD got it. I mooched off of him.) Jazz's cage is domed, so I put the pad over his cage. He stays fluffed most of the time, because he is relaxed when it is on. :] It is cold where I live too. Especially in the morning! The electric heating pad times itself for about an hour, so it wouldn't be able to be on the whole day. Like everyone is saying, do the heating pad! Some people also buy big, heavy comforters! Wow! laugh Good luck! Keep your birdie warm!

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/14/09 07:17 AM

Thanks for the help Jessica! smile
Posted By: tweetymom

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/14/09 07:36 AM

Hello Paulina. I use blankets at night, and on very cold days keep three sides and the top covered with them.

I put heavy towels around the window sill when it's really cold. It stops cold air from coming in, in case the insulation isn't what it should be.

BUT, it makes it pretty dark in the cage, so at night I leave a couple corners pulled open just a little bit to let in fresh air and a little bit of light.

Good luck on this. I've never used a heating pad but it sounds like a good idea. KKsuns and BLR know what they're talking about!
Posted By: tweetymom

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/14/09 07:41 AM

Hi Jessica. I'm not sure if puffed up = relaxed. I would check into this if I were you. Usually puffed up means there's something wrong and if birdie is puffed up a lot of the time, there could be something wrong. I'm just saying.

Maybe someone else on here will give us the benefit of their knowledge.

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/14/09 05:46 PM

Thank you for letting me know tweetymom! smile I never tried putting heavy towels around the window but it's worth a try.
I usually cover Jades cage exactly how you explained above so I think the heating pad, covering her cage well and putting some thick towels around the window should work =P

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/14/09 06:00 PM

Putting plastic over windows helps keep the cold out too.3M makes a really cool clear plastic that you cut to fit window, has a special adhesive to adhere it around window frame, then you use a blw dryer around the edges and it's like a shrink wrap..tightens right up nice. Easy and works well.

I do think that sometimes puffed up=relaxed. I know that mine sometimes puff up and get comfy when they're getting ready to take a nap. But like Tweetymom said-puffing up alot can be a sign of illness.
Posted By: cyberbud

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/15/09 07:11 PM

The 3m window insulation is a great suggestion! One other thought. Where is your room located? In our house the rooms are on the second floor and face out to the living room. In the winter if the bedroom doors are kept closed the rooms are significantly cooler because hot air rises and is kept out of the bedroom by the closed door.
Posted By: illusive Fantasy

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/15/09 11:58 PM

If your house has large rooms and the room the bird is in is large a VERY small fan indirectly set up so not blowing on bird and just enuf to MOVE AIR can aid it keeping temps even not cold low and hot high. Nor breeze onto your bird..i keep a very small fan going in a couple of large rooms just for that purpose so some rooms are not freezers while some rooms become ovens.
Posted By: cyberbud

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/16/09 12:33 AM

A good idea! Thanks!
Posted By: Lisa Shea

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/16/09 06:01 AM

I agree with the others, making the house weathertight is really good not only for the keet but for all of you guys in terms of health and money. The less heat you waste, the less money you waste, which you can spend on other things!

I have lived in many "sub optimal" homes and apartments over the year. Getting plastic to seal all the windows is a *great* first step. Go window to window and you'll be amazed how much warmer the whole house is when the air isn't coming in through them. Next, get those sock-things and stuff them under all doors and anywhere else that there are cracks.

You know, this can be a whole article on the website, I'll go start doing that, and start a separate thread on keeping your house as warm as possible. Thanks so much for bringing this up!
Posted By: Jessica Cole

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/16/09 06:06 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with Jazz. He doesn't do it a lot, but thanks for the warning. He fluffs before napping! :] He is a very fluffiful keet! :]

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 11/16/09 04:11 PM

The plastic around the window is a great idea laugh I will definetly try that. I keep Jades cage on my desk. It's very big and in the corner where her cage stands, no cold air from the door or from the window can reach her but once it's cold in my room she gets all puffed up and I can tell she is cold. If she is puffed up alot beause she is trying to keep her self warm, do you think means she is sick?
Also, Thanks for the great ideas/advice guys!

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/17/11 06:08 AM

bumped this becuz its getting that time again for most of us for sure...

i start off with slightly lowering the temps in the house thru the fall so when it becomes winter cappy is adjusted already to the coolness of a house temp tween 66-68 which for me means our furnance kicks in when it reaches 64 and shuts off at 70...so thats the range you all need to go by is the actual kick on and kick off time your heat comes on and goes off...

but start to adjust them to cooler temps in the fall and gawd right now its like early winter temps out there instead of fall with frost threat tonight in areas ...right now outside its 46 here...

im fortunate as this is a new house so it has newer windows which GREATLY reduce drafts and keep heat in...but i still run small fans also to keep the air in the house evenly distributed...ive never had to use a heating pad but that wont help if electricity goes out...so i do have a water bottle and at least for a short time that would help...

some of those hunters heating strike packs to keep them warm is good to have and place in the bottom of a cage with a light weight dish towel over it/them ...if you use more than one ...

its a good idea to start planning now on all of this and make sure your heating source is cleaned as well as all vents and filters ahead of time...tis the season now...

seal your windows NOW with that plastic which works really well if you dont have thermo insulated windows...

may we all stay warm and comfy this winter

this is NOT about birds but cats and dogs this section

warning road salt and salt bought for home walkways are deadly poisonous to these animals when they end up licking their paws after walking thru it to dry them...and any sand salt mix from towns has it in it also...best resolution to this is kitty litter or ashes from wood stoves or coal stoves but it tracks up house gawd awful so be sure folks really wipe their feet EXTRA hard to remove that stuff so it doesnt track thru the house

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/17/11 06:12 PM

Good thinking bumping this thread smile

I would normally start by gradually lowering temp for them to get used to too but darned if the cold didn't just jump right out at us this year. We have had temps in the 30's the past 2 nights. I got up yesterday to an indoor temp of 61 degrees. brr chilly for birds.
I got out our electric heater(CERAMIC) to warm up the room they are in. Much to early IMO to start the furnace. Not only is the cost of fuel oil ridiculous, but we haven't had a chance to check filters and clean vents and all those usual things you do before starting furnace for the first time in the fall..
The electric heater we have has a thermostat control that I set on 65 at night. No point heating the whole house yet as we humans can grab another blanket or throw on a sweatshirt if need be.

Excellent reminder about the road salt illusive. It really is bad for our dogs n cats.
I get a pet safe salt to use wherever our dog has access to. But I have been known to use kitty litter too. wink

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/17/11 08:45 PM

even at 61 in the house kk that temp would of ***gradually dropped during the nite and then during the day with all the cooking and baking you do ...i just bet your house always smells yummy ...it would again gradually warm up also...

this weather is too soon for us here ...hope its not a prelude to what we can expect this winter for temps...geeeeeeeeeesh

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/17/11 08:53 PM

Yeah I know it would have gradually warmed back up. But with no baking planned it wouldn't have warmed up til the sun hit the back of the house after noon.
Baby I sit for was here at 7:30 am so....too chilly

This weather is DEFINITELY too soon... bite your tongue about prelude to what to expect for winter. ugggh Already been thinking about all the rain we've had and if the same in SNOW.. eeeeew boy we are in for it!
We have some trees changing color already. Do you?

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/17/11 09:01 PM

no the tree changes here are the ones that normally would begin a early change anyway so i dont even concern myself with them...

we wont get our NORMAL tree change over till oct which isnt that far off i knoooow ....man o man when its over in new england its really over lol...i dont want a looooooooooooong deep snow below normal temps winter noooooooooo
Posted By: ahall83

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/17/11 11:25 PM

bit ur tongue illusive! i dont want to hear talk about winter. but yeah weve had lows in the 30s yuck.

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/17/11 11:32 PM

heck its sooo cold i wouldnt doubt that pretty soon we will see those proverbial dark snow clouds soon which would explain a few things im seeing from wildlife out there

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 12:13 AM

Wha??!! Dark SNOW CLOUDS??!! shhhhhh don't say that too loudly. I am soooo not ready for THAT
Posted By: Connor G

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 01:41 AM

We haven't reached over 68 degrees here in Minnesota for the past week!

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 01:52 AM

yah and you guys get clobbered good out there ...wouldnt want to be youuuuu....

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 02:05 AM

Oh I know it is terrible!

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 02:38 AM

I also heard about heated perches that warm their feet. Is that safe and worth the money?
Posted By: pepperandrocky

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 03:47 AM

Connor I saw those perches a few times when I was ordering all my original stuff for Birdie. It usually showed a larger bird on them but what concerned me the most about them is they are those half perches. I like my house cold (it's not that cold to me but is to everyone else) and plan to have the house warmer this winter because of Birdie. Everyone that knows me is shocked that I am going to be putting the heat up to 65 degrees! I'm gonna die of heat!

My pre-Birdie temps were 60 at night and around 65 during the day. Only would raise it more than that when the young grandkids visited. wink

So anyone ever use those perches? I'm thinking they were around $40 if memory serves.

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 03:54 AM

you just got a nice aquarium type of wood perch that runs about ave thirty dollars ...save for a vet fund giggle...

i dont think they are worth it but thats only me...

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 03:56 AM

Well your memory served you well cuz that's the price! wink thanks for the input pepperandrocky!

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 03:58 AM

Looks like we posted at the same time illusive! I will for sure save up!

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 03:59 AM

Connor I'm in shock my memory was right! LOL I think it must have stuck cause I really thought about it cause I don't want Birdie to get cold. wink

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 04:01 AM

Oh and by the way Birdie is a very pretty bird! I love the grey and whit on his wings!

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 04:10 AM

the heated perches scare me. just like heated rocks for reptiles. they can malfuction causing burns. and heaven forbid they short out

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 04:15 AM

Very good point ahall83. I didn't think about that. That would be horrible considering how the birds are always on their feet!

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 04:18 AM

exactly! glad i could help ya connor.

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 04:23 AM

Thanks Connor, those are the spangle markings on Birdie's wings.

ahall, that's why I decided against getting those perches. In theory it sounds really good but it's very scary at the same time. Plus now that I know Ms Birdie's personality, it's just as well! She is not allowed to play with electricity. wink

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? - 09/18/11 04:27 AM

haha pepper. thats prob a good thing.
© 2020 Lisa Shea Forum