Lisa Shea

Whats your keet like?

Posted By: Puds

Whats your keet like? - 09/26/09 09:29 PM

How does your baby(ies) play? I have seen keets that are mainly mirror players, chewers, squakers, talkers, bell crazy, etc. It seems like every keet i see has their "favorite" way to play.

Mine couldent care less about bells and mirrors, but she craves anything she can wrap her beak around. all of her toys have to have something she can chew up and off, or she doesent fancy them?! She also loves to fly and run (which is fun for me too!)

I am just curious and want to hear if your little one(s) enjoy a certian thing!
Posted By: Aubrey Teslow

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/26/09 09:45 PM

Mines really likes ladders. Your parekeet looks like a boy.
Posted By: Puds

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/26/09 09:52 PM

Oh ladders are great! thats soooo fun, do you have kind with beads smile

Puddles cere is white and pink today. That picture is about 2 months onld. I am looking to change it but i am on my local librarys computer and they will not let me upload new photos frown. Maybe i can get one from my flickr?
Posted By: kksuns

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/26/09 10:36 PM

My guys both like things with strings they can chew and grab hold of to give the toy a good shake. Even on foot toys so they can drag them around. Levi loves bells, preferably with strings attached LOL It seems I add fringey stuff to just about everything! And he also has a fav cat jingle ball toy that is solid all the way around with no holes. I think it make a unique noise.
And Ziggy loves things made from paper. He loves to rip and tear things.
Isn't it great to see them fly and run? They are just so majestic when flying, and once they get the hang of it they're AMAZING! And when they run they have that cute little waddle goin for them smile
What can I say? Keets are cool!
Posted By: LuvMyPets

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/27/09 01:07 AM

My 3 year old parakeet (IceCube) is a really sweet bird and she is lazy and squawks a lot at the new bird (Foo) Is really playful and just like a dog he shakes his toys like a dog and while IceCube is squawking at him he just chirps like he really happy. LOL Foo and IceCube are exact opposites.
Posted By: Luvanimalsdearly

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/27/09 01:14 AM

Keets are cute kksuns. Cookie loves to throw toys off the edge of the cage and watch them fall. SHe runs to the edge to see the toy lying on the floor. Feddy on the other hand talks to his toys in his little keety chatter. Its soo cute. He picks up the hanging toy in his beak and lets it go. Ine of my keets RIP would actually make the little ferris wheel go round and round. They are so unique and I have many hours of fun with Cookie giving her the same toys to throw over the edge.
Posted By: pino

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/27/09 01:55 AM

pino loves to destroy. there is a basket that is her favorite place to land and she is shredding it up like crazy. she also has one of the "clouds" in her cage that I have to replace all the time.
she has a mirror in the room she visits as soon as she gets out in the morning, but she gets bored of it quickly.
she also throws peas out of her food dish, I don't know if that counts as a game though...
Posted By: Unique

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/27/09 01:57 PM

hahaha i do the same thing with my peas!!! lmao! smart bird!

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/27/09 02:58 PM

Levi is a pea flinger too,and man can he really heave those suckers! LOL whereas Ziggy eats the centers out and neatly makes a pile of the outside part.
Ziggy likes to clear all the toys off the cage top too, like luvsanimals dearly's Cookie. Ya gotta love the way they tilt their head sideways to watch the toy drop, then hurry to get another one. LOL
And Levi also loves to play fetch with a cat jingle ball with slits in it so he can grab it.I throw it on top of cage and he flies/runs to get it and throws it back to me. I'm not really sure who's doing the fetching tho..me or him??? hahaha
Posted By: ___JA

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/28/09 02:20 AM

Cookie is a thrasher. She picks up her favorite toy, and bangs it on the cage to hear the noise and the bell jingle. Its hilarious! She also is a chewer. She chews through wood like crazy. Way more than Rocky, whos beak is bigger and more powerful! And while playing, banging, thrashing about her toys, she squawks and talks and whistles and chatters and screams and acks acks acks. Its fun to watch!
Posted By: BijousMom85

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/28/09 03:23 AM

Bijou has this one game that he finds insanely entertaining.. he hops from one perch to the other, goes around this one hanging toy, hops back, hops over again, runs around the toy.. over, and over. and over. its sooo cute to watch he looks so happy and then he sometimes runs around the cage, bites every toy, and then goes back to his sitting spot:P , oh another of his faves that is really cute is this one toy that he loves has a bell on the bottom, and coming out of the bell are two little red 'cherries' little red beads basically. and he leans right over and picks them up and drops them to ring the bell. Adorable.

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/28/09 10:38 AM

LOL Bijou sounds like quite the entertainer. smile Levi used to do the same sort of thing running/hopping around a certain way over and over. It looked like he was running an obstacle course and trying to improve his time each time he ran it!
Posted By: Love My Budgies

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/28/09 02:51 PM

My first Budgie, Juji, is a holy terror. She has a huge personality and likes anything that makes noise. If it will annoy me, she loves it amd will play with it relentlessly! She loves anything she can throw, rip, bite, chew. Did I mention she loves anything that makes loud noises?! Bells, mirrors, paper, it doesn't matter. If it is around, she will play with it, bite it, throw it, clang it against something else. She loves to pick up her slide-up doors and let 'em drop loudly. She loves to shake her bells like she can kill them. She will tip over her food dishes so that all the pellets fall to the bottom of her cage noisily. Bird Kabobs - she loves to shred them. She loves to fly extremely fast and as close to our heads as possible, usually slapping us on the head or face with her wings and she zooms by. I swear I can see her smile when she does manage to slap us.
Bella on the other hand loves to play, but thankfully quietly. She loves anything shiny. Juji has been teaching her to shred soft wood and to take a bath in their water dish, no matter how many bath tubs I provide.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/28/09 07:54 PM

What an array of keetie behaviors -- wow! I'm really surprised at the range of types of playing; they truly do have different little personalities from one another!

With Pudgie, it's all about the shredding ---- chew, chew, chew, shred, shred, shred. She ignores reflective things, bells, beads, rattles... Anything chewable, though, will keep her happy. Raina is still learning what toys are; she hasn't touched any yet except for a few seconds of chewing. I will have to try some of you guys' ideas with her.

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/28/09 08:07 PM

I hear a lot about budgies shredding.. Bijou has just discovered newpaper. Uh oh. :P

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/28/09 09:22 PM

Yikes -- hope it's printed with soy ink. Just want to warn you that many newspapers and magazines are still printed with toxic inks. One suggestion somebody here made a long time age is to let them chew unbleached coffee filters -- they're food-safe (one hopes) and presumably don't have dyes, bleaches, etc.

Does anybody remember the name of the thread about making flowers out of the unbleached coffee filters/safe paper? They were such cool, inexpensive, and creative shredder toys!

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/28/09 10:53 PM

Oh gosh really? I didn't know that.. hes been pulling it up because i line the cage with it and a peice was sticking out.. I will probably tuck that in and give him some normal paper to play with:P

Edit: so.. i just tucked the paper in so he cant get it and it looks like hes eaten a peice of the newspaper:| should I call the vet?
Posted By: DaMostLoved

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/29/09 12:51 AM

Mine were eating the newspaper, and so I lined the grate with paper towels, but they started to eat that as well... and I also removed it. I know newspaper can be toxic depending on the ink, but what about paper towels? Are they ok?
BijousMom--Mine were eating the newspaper and I'm not sure what kind of ink it's used in it. They seem fine and I didn't consult a vet. I guess you would know if you need to call the vet if their behavior/poop changes?

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/29/09 12:55 AM

Yes so far there are no changes in his poops but I'll keep an eye out:) paper towel would work too. Or i can steal what my mom uses for her birds, some plain paper thing
Posted By: Luvanimalsdearly

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/29/09 01:52 AM

For the bottom I use paper bags from safeway or trader joes. I have been using it for as long I have had keets.

Re: Whats your keet like? - 09/29/09 02:50 AM

That's a pretty good idea! They don't eat the paper bags?
Posted By: Toukie

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/14/09 04:50 PM

Mine loves bells. Everything that has a bell in it, he's there. he likes to pull at them to make them jingle. I bought a little parakeet park and he doesn't really like it. It doesn't jingle lol
Posted By: tealcandtina

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/14/09 07:15 PM

Our keet Happymeal thinks Shes a green cheek conure. She is friendly to everyone. she will lay in our hand on her back and squawk like we are pulling her feathers out and we are not even holding her! We laugh at her. she finishes her drama act , sits up and perches on our hand and preens herself and doesn't want to hop down.

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/14/09 11:36 PM

Bijou loves bells. This past weekend he was being bird-sat by my mother and as soon as he was out of his cage he went right to the bells in Q and Doris's (my moms birds) cage! He pecked around at the different toys with bells before playing with the other birds:P and his favourite toys in his cage are the 2 with bells.
Posted By: ramblinrose

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/15/09 01:10 AM

my keet has a favorite toy also, as a matter of fact he loves his toy a little too much, and I don't know what to do about it.
He regurgetates his food to the bell(his toy) and thinks it is his mate, now I can't get him to even think about going on my finger or anything. any one got any ideas what I can do? I'm very new to the sight and the computer so please help me.
Ramblinrose
Posted By: Sprite97

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/15/09 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: P&R Mom
Yikes -- hope it's printed with soy ink. Just want to warn you that many newspapers and magazines are still printed with toxic inks. One suggestion somebody here made a long time age is to let them chew unbleached coffee filters -- they're food-safe (one hopes) and presumably don't have dyes, bleaches, etc.

Does anybody remember the name of the thread about making flowers out of the unbleached coffee filters/safe paper? They were such cool, inexpensive, and creative shredder toys!

I found it! What a neat thread
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=328358&page=1

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/16/09 07:09 AM

Oh wow -- thanks so much, Sprite! smile
Posted By: tweetymom

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/16/09 10:09 AM

I read some
where on here that paper towels are not bad for them. As long as they're not eating the shreds, it will be fine. Periodically I put a paper tower in with Stella and she picks on it, destroys it, gets under it hides under it. This is the first time I've seen her play with anything! She goes from one perch to the other and then she climbs around on the side of the cage to get to it. She does this over and over. I love to watch her. Tweety, (her mate) stands up on his perch and watcher her every move and gives his comments and fusses at her.

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/16/09 10:40 PM

Thanx for the info... I can just picture Stella...She must be quite a show to watch! smile
Posted By: baby blue

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/16/09 11:28 PM

here are the neuroses of the 6 zipperheads i love to pieces... ozzy is a live version of chinese water torture, a professional irritant! big doors, little doors... lift open, drop (clang), lift open, drop (clang), lift open, drop (clang) i am gonna be in big trouble if she figures out that the door she is lifting, is open more than enough to just, change sides and be outside! at a favorite spot by the rope perch is a specific area of one bar she will literally spend up to 3 hours "pung-ing" it with her beak. pung, pung, pung, pung. this starts at the same time every night, right after supper and we want to relax or watch tv. dad could hear the pung-ing the other night (my bedroom door was closed) and went downstairs saying he could hear "water dripping" somewhere downstairs! he couldn't believe it when i told him to stop rummaging around cause it was only ozzie. said it was so regular he was positive that's what it was. (i wonder how long he would have looked for that leak if i hadn't told him? smile hahaha!!)
...froot loop loves cardboard. she only chews the box i have their cage sitting in (helps reduce feather spread) not the stuff i provide. she chomps and flings. when she is done there is box colored fluff not cardboard pieces!
...red likes to suddenly tip forward and hang upside down for ages. she goes from spot to spot on the rope perch (no clue what that is about)
...trinket goes up the ladders, flies back down and repeats, apparently it must be huge fun cause nik nak does the same only she goes down flies up and climbs down. they are funny when they get to the same spot at the same time, lol!
...last but not least, my sweet marble... when not doing the horizontal mambo with his bobble head toy, slides down the bars at a speed that rivals puddles's running and comes to an instant stop. sometimes he will go down in little "bursts", looking like he suddenly hit an invisible wall. shoving and chucking anything off the cage top is a fave of his also....how's that for some weirdos? LOL!! smile

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/16/09 11:37 PM

That's entertainment! ROFL

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/17/09 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: kksuns
That's entertainment! ROFL
Ditto! What a bunch of characters you have, baby blue!
Posted By: baby blue

Re: Whats your keet like? - 10/18/09 03:21 PM

they are something all right.... i'm just not sure what yet!!!!
i wonder why the line between entertainment and irritating is so close? LOL!! haha
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum