Lisa Shea

Breeding my Keets.

Posted By: TTUB

Breeding my Keets. - 07/07/09 04:24 PM

I have done already a lot of research on breeding parakeet. But I'm still lacking a few things.
Mind giving me tips on how to help my Keets take care of their eggs? And when they hatch?
Do I have to help feed them?
I could not find the right answer for this question on regular sights I have known for a while...But please post as much as you can on breeding Parakeets.
Thanks!
Posted By: ShamRockStar

Re: Breeding my Keets. - 07/07/09 04:46 PM

You may not have to help feed them... but most first time birdy parents are TERRIBLE at it. They'll kick babies out of the nest too early or forget to feed them. They may even decide halfway through to stop sitting the eggs and start another clutch in which case mom will most likely break the old eggs. If she does lay another clutch she will be extremely calcium deficient and runs a higher risk of egg binding which, if it does occur, will more than likely kill her. In other words breeding is not for the faint of heart.
That being said, if you decide to go through with it, have an experienced breeder teach you to hand feed. Hand feeding takes practice, the formula has to be the right consistency and temperature or you run the risk of injuring the babies crop. You need to learn to hand feed incase mom stops feeding or kicks somebody out of the nest a few days early. In any case during weaning most birds demand formula until fully weaned.
You also need to provide every kind of calcium supplement you can think of to keep mommy from egg binding.
Make sure you use a keet nest box to prevent splayed legs.
You'll need to have a vet on call and be prepared to pay vet bills.
Also, what will you do with the babies? Are you willing to run the risk of losing your hen? Also do you know that when breeding keets get VERY cage aggressive. They will more than likely no longer be cuddly little pets because they will be instinctually protecting their home and their babies.
If you want to breed any keets, not necessarily your pets, I would recommend looking into a proven breeding pair. It will be easier with them since they've had more practice, not like... foolproof, but easier.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Breeding my Keets. - 07/07/09 05:42 PM

Also, this site has a section dedicated to breeding budgies, maybe you will learn more reading there? IDK I've never dealt with this subject in my home though.
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum