Lisa Shea

New perch

Posted By: kksuns

New perch - 07/04/09 08:34 PM

I got a new perch I've never seen before. Looks pretty cool but I though I'd check and see if any of you have one or if you think it's safe for them to use before I put it in cage.
Here's a pic
It's supposed to be good for beak and nails.Edible
Ingredients are: Pine wood shavings, Cassava Starch, Alfalfa,Sodium Alginate, Potassium Sorbate ,Propionic Acid, Honey, Propylene Glycol, Peanut Butter Flavoring, Color added.

Neither one of my guys seems to use the cement perch so i thought i'd try this.
What do you think?
Posted By: baby blue

Re: New perch - 07/04/09 09:37 PM

mine really liked the ones they had! unfortunately... i can't find them anymore. as for if they are safe to use, idk. mine demolished 3 in no time and are all still here. smile aminah would probably know. now that you have brought it up, i am curious too!

Re: New perch - 07/04/09 09:41 PM

Thanks bb, So you used to get them? And they liked em?! Today is the first time I'd seen them here. hmmm

Re: New perch - 07/04/09 11:27 PM

Anyone else ever have one of these?
Posted By: cyberbud

Re: New perch - 07/04/09 11:31 PM

I have a spiral shaped one I purchased recently. Neither Emily or Henerei seem to like it.

Kathy
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New perch - 07/05/09 04:06 AM

I have the spiral one also and no one really chews at it but they do stand on it. I also have the little "hut" they make. I put my bird bread in it when I give it to them. A few weeks ago Cayman noticed he could chew on and eat the hut and the others have caught on. Now I wonder how long it will last. LOL I got them at PetSmart in Madison.
Posted By: Puds

Re: New perch - 07/05/09 11:53 AM

Oh wow, my fiance just got me this perch....er i mean my bird! i put it in yesterday.

She threw a huge fit, even after a day of it being beside her cage. But not ten minutes later my bird was nibbling at every angle possible! I can see the tiny difference in her beak, and she loves to sit on it. He tried tp pick the oddest shaped one, and i think she likes it

It will be nubby soon laugh

Re: New perch - 07/05/09 01:44 PM

Oh good! Thanks everyone, I'll put it in today and see how it goes smile I saw the spiral shaped ones too, but I got this one because it looked less "scary" LOL
C Mom you got a chewy hut??? That sounds interesting! hmmmm
NO!!! I can NOT go back to the pet store!!!! Ahhhh
Posted By: Darkness

Re: New perch - 07/05/09 05:22 PM

I was thinking of getting the perch, but I have the hut. My six love chewing on it!

Re: New perch - 07/06/09 10:51 PM

I saw that recently and almost got it but couldn't figure out where to put it in Pudgie's cage... If Levi and Ziggy get a kick out of it, maybe I'll rearrange things radically and fit one in...

Not to hijack your thread, but I want to quickly recommend this foraging Tiki Hut: http://www.naturesinstinct.com/item.asp?n=24283&d=1&b=1 It's $15 shocked but it's quite clever --- a quick flick of your nail opens the bottom, and you can stuff in as many or as few wooden dowels as you wish, to block a lot or a little of the back of the hut (where you've put a treat). The really good news is that you can snap off a bit of the end of a wooden toothpick and use those, which are budgie-sized and inexpensive!

Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled programming..... smile

Re: New perch - 07/06/09 11:07 PM

already in progress..LOL

Hey that looks pretty cool! I take it that it is Pudgie approved??

Re: New perch - 07/06/09 11:36 PM

Actually, she took to it amazingly quickly! (Usually it's: higher cost of toy = low interest; 2 cent wooden clothespin = coolest toy ever!!)I was sure she'd be afraid of it, but no... We're still showing it to her outside the cage, and will be putting in inside her cage later this week.
Posted By: Chocoemilk

Re: New perch - 07/07/09 01:17 AM

I think I read somewhere, perhaps in some advice from Aminah, that it's not a good idea to get edible perches made out of wood, or the flavored chewing wood blocks because it will confuse the birds into thinking that wood is food, and they may begin to eat other wooden stuff instead of just chewing it and that would not be health for them. Fortunately here we don't have does perches so I don't have any dilemma smile (I think I would get it haha)
Posted By: ShamRockStar

Re: New perch - 07/07/09 03:58 PM

i dont think that perch is actually made out of wood though. I think it's just made to look like wood... which the birds can tell because the texture is different. You should always offer your birds something wooden to chew on but they know instinctively not to swallow wood.

Re: New perch - 07/08/09 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Chocoemilk
... and they may begin to eat other wooden stuff instead of just chewing it and that would not be health for them.
Originally Posted By: ShamRockStar
...offer your birds something wooden to chew on but they know instinctively not to swallow wood.
This is a really interesting issue, in my opinion. I suppose if you see a pile of sawdust underneath a wooden chew-toy, then you know your budgies "get" the distinction! But if you also see that they're not eating as much food, then you may have a problem, obviously...

My guess (and this is totally just an opinion) is that eating a little bit of wood would probably not hurt them, because it's essentially cellulose (like many grains & veggies) and would presumably just pass through their digestive system...

Re: New perch - 07/08/09 09:08 PM

Well, it's been a few days now and neither one is touching it! LOL Won't even go near it.

Re: New perch - 07/08/09 11:38 PM

Go figure, huh? lol But maybe you'll come home next week to see that it's been totally devoured!

Re: New perch - 07/08/09 11:44 PM

it took a while, you know how it goes, can sit ignored for 3 mths then BANG, it is the one thing everyone is figting over!

Re: New perch - 07/09/09 12:58 AM

Sometimes if I just move something that is ignored, suddenly it is discovered. ::)

Re: New perch - 07/09/09 04:11 AM

you know what achmed the dead terrorist says... "location, location, location!!"
wondering who achmed is??? go to u tube and type in
"jeff dunham and achmed the dead terrorist", peanut (my personal fave), jose the jalapno and walter are members of the gang. jeff d is the most talented ventriloquist EVER! there is some profanity, so no little kids. VERY IMPORTANT... GO PEE BEFORE YOU WATCH!! smile
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum