Lisa Shea

"RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP???

Posted By: Tanaka

"RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 03:31 PM

[size:11pt][b]I was going to write about this. . . And then I wasn’t. . . But finally I decided to poke my nose into where it [color:#990000]may[/color] or [color:#990000]may not [/color]be welcomed :blush: because this has really begun to [color:#990000]bug[/color] me.[/b][/size] :crazy: :mad: [size:17pt][b][color:#000099]This whole “rainbow” in-joke, I feel, has run its course.[/color][/b][/size] :mad: [size:11pt][b]And its time to let it pass. To me, it sets up a [color:#990000]negative atmosphere[/color] for everyone on this site. :( If someone makes a comment that you don’t understand or you feel is “strange,” you can [color:#990000]ignore[/color] it or [color:#990000]ask for clarification[/color]. :) If someone makes erroneous statements or is handing out false information, by [color:#990000]ALL MEANS[/color], respond to it. ;) But there is no need for this whole “rainbow” taunting & teasing (As subtle as people might think they are being, they aren’t). :o [color:#990000]I find no humor in it at all[/color]. It most likely hurts people’s feelings & makes them feel left out, different or strange. :o There are people here of all ages (13 & up), backgrounds and language ability. Let’s respect that we know very little about a member (especially when they are new to us) and give them [color:#990000]proper respect[/color]! A wise person once said, “[color:#990000]If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all[/color].” (It was quite possibly the same person who said, “Wash your hands before you eat” & “Look both ways before you cross the street” because all three make damn good sense![/b][/size] ;)
Posted By: animalfriend

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 03:46 PM

Fine, we will just go back to calling people a troll when they are acting like a troll. We thought that maybe saying something about a rainbow to lighten the mood when a post started to get out of hand would help keep things under control when they started to go awry, and really it did. I think that it has been working quite a bit better than when everyone would get frustrated with members who were trying to get everyone riled up and then there was shouting and pouting and people leaving. Obviously some people who -don't know what they are talking about- say it when it's not appropriate, but they are just being a troll as well. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but there have been quite a few less fights lately.
I am sure you're not the only one who feels this way, so I will just go back to calling a troll a troll instead of calling a troll a rainbow which sounds much nicer.

Originally Posted By: Tanaka
If someone makes a comment that you dont understand or you feel is strange, you can ignore it or ask for clarification

That's a nice thought, but it just doesn't happen that way.
Posted By: kksuns

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 03:53 PM

I totally agree with you Tanaka!!! This whole "rainbow" thing has gotten totally out of hand. It needs to stop. People's feelings are getting hurt. And half the time someone is using the word rainbow when they have no idea what it even means!
So a big fat DITTO to EVERYTHING Tanaka said!!!!!
Posted By: KentuckyChicken

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 04:52 PM

I think everyone here needs to realize how much and many people IM people to ask them nicely to stop trolling and you know what, out of respect for members of this forum they should, period.

Rainbowing just turned into a fun thing instead of getting frustrated over it. Then it has simply also turned into a fun joke. The problem with forums is that people can't hear the sound of anothers voice through just typing, so no voice inflextion to tell if somethings a joke.

I personally though, do NOT feel it is ok to start threads to upset people or to rile them up, post one word on each reply three times in a row, bump 4 year old posts just to up their post numbers and then making people feel stupid for answering the post! That's just plain immature and catty and THAT is what has started this.

So if you feel doing all of the above is ok, then you need to think really hard. Cause you know what, it's not.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 05:02 PM

I do want to ask why this couldn't be handled in a PM instead of being put on the board for all to see. When we were frustrated with the trolling, a few of us decided that it would be best to just massively PM a whole bunch of active members about ignoring trolling posts and come to a conclusion AS A GROUP how to handle it so that we could have a little peace and not get ourselves banned because we were frustrated. We were able to handle it without making it look like all we do here is fight. This could have been handled the same way and feelings wouldn't have been hurt and people wouldn't have been mad.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 05:24 PM

I think feelings were already hurt and people were already mad before this thread was started. That's WHY this thread was started.(At least I THINK that's why tanaka started it?)I was just about to start a thread about the rainbow business getting out of hand myself, but Tanaka beat me to it.

I know that I for one was totally fed up with a certain troll or 2 and the rainbow thing sounded like a good plan at the time. But since then it has become a joke, and because people can't hear the sound of the typer's voice and the inflection in the voice,like KC said, it's not taken as a joke, and feelings get hurt or it makes someone feel like an idiot. I'm pretty sure that's not what we all intended when the rainbow thing started?

To me trolling is NOT a joke and therefore it shouldn't be treated like one. I think that from now on if we smell a troll we just come right out and say so smile Plain and simple, call it like ya see it!
Posted By: Dixie&Miss' Mama

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 05:29 PM

Yeah. Well, thanks for telling everyone that Tanaka. I agree with you as well.

I don't understand what the rainbow thing is about anyhow.
It's getting really annoying to be seeing around & even being called a troll.
I don't think anyone should be calling anyone a rainbow or a troll.
Posted By: Looney Luna

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 05:31 PM

I have been on this forum for almost a year and I had never even heard of a troll or the rainbow thing until that one particular post that was a joke about letting the birds go(you all know which one I'm talking about). That post has had a domino effect, and I think there are a lot of people that are still upset about it. The one thing about the rainbow posts is if someone comes onto the forum, doesn't have a relationship with their keets like we do, they see the keets as an "it" instead of a little innocent animal and they are seriously asking a question that sounds horrendous to us, but makes sense to them..if we just assume they are trolling and don't answer their question, they may "dye their birds feathers" or "let them fly away"...they may do something harmful because to them this bird is an object....or they may be a little kid who actually does think it would be cool to dye their feathers..you never know, and that is what worries me about asuming they are trolling.

I think that when it is an outrageous post, we should answer them, but keep it to 2 pages..once 8-10 people have replied with the same answer you would give, the post should stop there, instead of 6-20 pages of people saying the same thing or yelling at the person that posted...you know?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 05:34 PM

i would like to know exactly who has hurt feelings and why ???

if they cant b up front about that and come out and admit they have hurt feelings and why they feel that way then i should not have to come upfront and apologize or change something.

the fact is that we do have trolls on this forum, it is extremly annoyying to those of us who are here day in and day out handing out advice and actually caring about these birds and he people.

i am sick and tired of being told to walk on eggshells and protect people feelinsg ... what about my feelings ??? what about my time and effort?? is it worth nothing???
and tanaka i like you so dont take offense but why cant you follow your own advice ???? if you see something you do not like or then ignore it ... or if you see something you do not understand ask for clarification ....

Posted By: SweetBirdies

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 06:07 PM

i am just baffled by this thread. i see it going WAY OUT OF CONTROL REALLY QUICKLY.

seriously, we are all adults. i agree that this should have been posted differently. there is NO WAY that you can think the post here would have been taken lightly. there are a LOT of different people with different opinions/attitudes on here. you NEVER KNOW how anyone is going to reply to something like this.

I SAY WE DROP IT ALL!!!! if someone gets HURT or OFFENDED just PM the person and take care of it privately. also agree that if you are stumped by someones post, GET CLARIFICATION. if you see a TROLL, call it as it is. i too believed that the Rainbow thing was a NICER way of saying TROLL, but obviously it is more offensive and went a bit out of control as a joke. i also understand that there were A LOT of different people who knew about and used Rainbow instead of Troll. so PMing all the people would have been hard. BUUUTTTT!!! i also feel that this thread could have been STARTED differently. A LITTLE NICER MAYBE. confused
as stated...'IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.' that type of stuff, offensive or whatnot can also be taken care of through PM's.
i am NOT trying to offend or piss anyone off here. Tanaka i just really feel that this could have been A LOT better if stated differently/nicer from the start.

that is MY OPINION...i have nothing further to say about it.

i truly hope everyone has a good day!

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 06:17 PM

In my opinion, a lot of you have made really good points, on a really tough issue.
Originally Posted By: Tanaka
This whole “rainbow” in-joke, I feel, has run its course.[/color][/b][/size] ]
I think the key word here is "in-joke." Some people have no idea, or a limited idea, of what it means. I understand the goal of the rainbow thing -- as animalfriend stated,
Originally Posted By: animalfriend
We thought that maybe saying something about a rainbow to lighten the mood when a post started to get out of hand...

I think it needs to be said that "hijacking" a thread with rainbow comments was a form of social protest. Sounds overstated, but it's true --- many, many people had already cried "troll" to no avail; many people have PMed the alleged troll, and many people have PMed PDM about repeated troll-type posts, to no avail. As TuckyChic said,
Originally Posted By: KentuckyChicken
I think everyone here needs to realize how much and many people IM people to ask them nicely to stop trolling and you know what, out of respect for members of this forum they should, period.

The choices at hand were: (1) infinite toleration of a situation we felt was unfair, (2) an indirect way to cope with the situation & make a statement of dissent (rainbows), or (3) someone taking control of the situation to change it or end it, someone being PDM, Lisa Shea, or the alleged troll herself.

Unfortunately what we have now is lots of hurt feelings and much confusion and conflict.

I agree with several people's suggestion to simply post "Troll!" and then move on to other posts, BUT -- will that then cause another uproar? PDM has come down on that very thing on several occasions (don't assume person = a troll).

I truly think that PDM and/or Lisa need to take control of the situation in a way that respects current, active, helpful members, not caters to any one individual's problematic behavior on the forum. We can all agree that we don't want "ganging up" behavior, or one clique running the show, right? But we also don't want one or two people causing active/helpful members to become so disgusted that they leave, correct?

I think that a workable solution to this is a simple "three strikes, you're out" rule for alleged trolls. If members are frequently PMing PDM about a problem person, and they've been warned by PDM three times about trouble-causing behavior, then they should lose posting privileges.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 06:48 PM

i agree pudgie, totally agree.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 06:52 PM

I agree as well. And once again, a post that is meant to cause an uproar has done its job and once again it is taking away from meaningful posts from people who ACTUALLY need help.
Posted By: tweetymom

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:09 PM

Helwa, MY feelings were hurt last night, and it was over a post I made about "ceiling fans and Budgies". I put it on my post, exactly and up front.

Exactly? and Up Front. Here goes: #1) I DID state that MY feelings were hurt, and exactly why. I asked PDM to tell me exactly what is s Troll, and I AM MOT A TROLL. My question was sincere and worth asking since other people with birds have said that their birds avoid ceiling fans. The question probably seem stupid to you, but not all of us know everything. #2) You do make me feel stupid when I've asked you a question, and it seems like you resent it. I am not stupid, and I don't appreciate being made to feel that way. Your opinions are valued and You DO know a lot.

#3) Last night a person started the rainbow signal on my post and yes, it did hurt me. But nobody asked YOU to apologize or change anything. You weren't involved.

#4) I will never ask you a question again, Helwa. I can see that you are harried and tired of it. I, and lot of other people also spend a lot of time on this forum, and I don't feel obligated to answer a question if I don't want to. But I don't feel the need to make another person feel stupid or make fun of them because of their question.

#5) Your feelings. Helwa, plenty of people took up for you, including myself, when miss original rainbow got to throwing insults.

I was going to leave this forum but I received some PM's, and I've changed my mind. I love this forum since I've learned so much on here. Helwa, I apologize for ever bothering you.

I would never have put these things up front where everyone could see them, but you asked.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:10 PM

I agree too Pudgie's mom
animalfriend, I don't think this post was meant to cause an uproar. Not at all. I think it was meant to stop using the term "rainbow" so much. It got out of hand.And in all actuality it became more of a joke than anything.It certainly didn't stop the trolling!
A troll is a troll, why make it something it's not?

Enough said on my part.I love this forum, it's filled with great, caring, friendly, knowledgeable people, who are willing to share stories and advice. I'm not going to dwell on freakin rainbows anymore. I'm done with it. It's sooo not worth it.
Posted By: noobataur

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Ant
When I first read your post, I thought you meant if you had the ceiling fan on, but when I thought about it, I can see you didn't mean what I thought you said. You meant will they get caught up if the ceiling fan is off.

I was worried about that too when I first got my parakeet. Mine haven't flown into the ceiling fan, they just fly around it. My tiel Harriet though, has banged into the fan chain so I had to make the chain shorter.

But if it is on, it definitely can hurt or kill them.

Also, I wouldn't have them out either if they're clipped when the fan is on. Even those table fans or floor fans, NEVER have your bird out when they're on.

she didn't state having the fan on or off, why wouldn't I assume the worst? just like the "can i change my birds color?" thread. I was thinkin this was actually a joke post from the start, not a serious question. If you can't answer the question of "if my fan is on, will my birds get caught up in it" yourself, then ya shouldn't own birds! And no, she didn't state on or off, but why worry if it's off? They are smart and they have eyes to see where they are flying.

In response to the rainbow thread since I've used it about 3 times myself, I didn't catch on at first but then I did and used it in the appropriate sections. Even I was rainbowed a few times, but I'm just a silly person so it doesn't bother me. I know I'm not trolling because I have serious posts and say random quirky things sometime.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:16 PM

Tweetymom, did you not read the responses to your upset post? We stood up for you when someone said something about your post. Someone who didn't ever even get the rainbow memo.

I don't understand why this is being made to be about Helwa being mean. She did nothing wrong.

KK: I'm not the only one who thinks that. I think that most people who read the first post can see that it was rude and would start an uproar.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:19 PM

tweety mom ... first of all ive done nothing to you, if you think i have, you are mistaken. i answered you ceiling fan post kindly and decently, everyone did, except ONE PERSON, and you are taking it out on the rest of us. we ALL were confused about your post, none of us understood it, or understood why you were asking, we just didnt get it ... yet we defended you and said you were no troll, and you come at us with this???? really???

I do not make anyone feel stupid, i am not a super hero to do such, you feel how you feel, own it. i have no power over how someone feels ... i do have power over how i treat someone, and ive been nothing but nice to you. I have never answered a question and made the person feel stupid, in fact ive done the opposite.

if you ask something bizare and OBVIOUSLY wierd, like can i change my birds color is there a way to do it> i dont like his blue color anymore i want him to be green ... then yea im gona get sarcastic ... because thats just clearly a troll question, and the person who asked it knew that.

I will make a post explaining what a troll is, and how to idetify one, you are not a troll, not that ive seen anyway ... not even close.

if you are offended by something ive done, then im sorry you feel that way, but ive done nothing to you.

I take the welfare of animals extremly seriously, therefore, i take my presence here very seriously, at least in the bird section, the rest of the forum i dont take seriously, its for fun, no one life is at stake. but in the bird section, where people need info, and i know full well, the info on the majority of the net is wrong, yes i take it very very seriously and when i see someone routinely giving horribly wrong advice, that they KNOW FULL WELL is wrong and bad ... it gets very very frustrating.

When I know someone is keeping a bird, in a cage that will literally drive them insane, and is made of zinc and lead and that bird is being poisoned, and that person refuses to change it, not for any other reason than "i dont feel like it"

yes, that frustrates me, and alot of other people, who sit here and waste time researching and trying to provoe to them the facts ...

I can be rude, i can be abrasive, i can be very blunt, but ive not been any of that to you or anyone else here.

i am sorry if you dislike me, but that is not something i am going to worry about. I defended you, even though i did not understand your post, and i felt like you posted it to be funny, like ohh look at the silly questions people ask ... but whatever you were treated kindly.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: minty moose
Originally Posted By: Ant
When I first read your post, I thought you meant if you had the ceiling fan on, but when I thought about it, I can see you didn't mean what I thought you said. You meant will they get caught up if the ceiling fan is off.

I was worried about that too when I first got my parakeet. Mine haven't flown into the ceiling fan, they just fly around it. My tiel Harriet though, has banged into the fan chain so I had to make the chain shorter.

But if it is on, it definitely can hurt or kill them.

Also, I wouldn't have them out either if they're clipped when the fan is on. Even those table fans or floor fans, NEVER have your bird out when they're on.

she didn't state having the fan on or off, why wouldn't I assume the worst? just like the "can i change my birds color?" thread. I was thinkin this was actually a joke post from the start, not a serious question. If you can't answer the question of "if my fan is on, will my birds get caught up in it" yourself, then ya shouldn't own birds! And no, she didn't state on or off, but why worry if it's off? They are smart and they have eyes to see where they are flying.

In response to the rainbow thread since I've used it about 3 times myself, I didn't catch on at first but then I did and used it in the appropriate sections. Even I was rainbowed a few times, but I'm just a silly person so it doesn't bother me. I know I'm not trolling because I have serious posts and say random quirky things sometime.

There you go. That was the original purpose of the rainbow thing. I've called rainbow on him many times and he even called rainbow on himself. Why can't we just have the forum be happy. It really doesn't matter what we try to do to remedy a situation, there is ALWAYS someone who complains about it.
We really thought this was going to be nicer. Think about it, if someone comes on just to start trouble and someone says "I SMELL A TROLL" the next new member who comes on is going to see that and wonder if they should join. But if they see "I see a rainbow" they won't know what that is all about. That was the purpose.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:22 PM

I've never known Tanaka to be rude or want to cause an uproar. She's just not like that.
Whatever...rainbows be dam*ed! LOL I'm out of it smile

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:29 PM

Yes, and that's why I answered both sides of the question in case that was what she meant. I'm not gonna fight with you Minty Moose. I'm sick of this forum drama nonsense, it's seriously getting RIDICULOUS now. I really wish PDM would get more involved. It was an innocent question, her birds are fine, end of story, let's move on already.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:31 PM

[ if someone comes on just to start trouble and someone says "I SMELL A TROLL" the next new member who comes on is going to see that and wonder if they should join. But if they see "I see a rainbow" they won't know what that is all about. That was the purpose.
Hmmm... good point but I think newbies might feel left out of the in-joke, with rainbows, and think we're a clique of weirdos (lol). Call me insensitive but I don't see a problem with potential new members seeing an "I smell a troll" post and thinking hard about joining; if they are a troll, to heck with them, and if they're not a troll, maybe they'll appreciate that we have an "early warning system" ("intruder alert!") about trolls.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:31 PM

thank you ant, i find it odd that we are all defending ourselves against one persons reply on one post ...

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:32 PM

Minty Moose, I WAS talking about the fan being ON.

Otherwise, why ask the question??!! Apparently there are people who don't turn off their fans when their birds are out of cage. "they have trained their birds to avoid the fan blades".

I was interestee in this cuz I have ceiling fans, and when my birds get out, I have to run around like a crazy person turning off fans, closing shades, closung doors, etc.

I'm sorry that my question seemed stupid to you. My question was valid and I AM NOT A TROLL!!!! You are new to this forum and I'm not far behind you on that. But if you look at my posts, I do not post very often, for fear of being made to look stupid.

I like jokes, but I do not very often make them. And I would never ask a question for a joke. The knowledge here is too valuable to me to be making jokes!

Quote from you: If you can't answer questionof if my fan is on, will my birds get caught in it", then you shouldn't own birds"!! How dare you! That is cold. and your observation made without knowing all the facts.

I'm very sorry, guys, but once again, I've been insulted, and I couldn't let this pass unanswered.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:36 PM

I find it hard to believe that someone who says "I trained my bird to avoid fan blades" wouldn't be lying. It would only take one time of being spooked and up they go to their death.

If I asked if it was alright to let my 2 year old play on the street because someone told me that they trained their 2 year old to avoid cars what would you think about my question?

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:40 PM

Just want to add that I like Tanaka (and Tweetymom and lots of new members) very much. I hope that we can all resolve the recent miscommunications in a way that smooths all our ruffled feathers AND establishes a group feeling that we can ask people for clarification about confusing posts.

I don't think we should be endlessly walking on eggshells, but I think we can focus on tactful ways to ask, "Huh?" Things have gotten rocky lately because many of us are on full "intruder alert!" status and maybe sometimes we're seeing trolls where there aren't any.

However -- "if it smells like a troll, walks like a troll, and quacks like a troll, it's a troll!" Even if someone doesn't exactly fit a troll profile, I feel that we need proactive steps taken about the person.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Bluekeets
I understand where you are coming from, but your question was not a dumb one, You were worried about your babies and I think it was really smart to ask. I had a friend who had birds all of his life and left the fans on while they were out of their cage. Saddly one died while he was staying with a friend because he was hit by the fan blade, but he had never had a problem before. I Know its a danger to birds, but he had trained his to stay away, I guess because it was a different fan from the one at home is why he flew into it, his bird i mean. I hope you dont leave our forum I love hearing from you and I really dont understand the whole rainbow thing it doesn't have anything to do with the question nor does it even make sense until it was actually explained it sounded like a comment about the font. I hope you dont go.

I read this reply as well, but this came after all the other replies. What do you want me to think? Apparently there wasn't enough information to begin when you posted the original question, thus leading to varying replies including my own.

I know you aren't a troll but I thought you were being goofy and made a joke thread. Of course I now know you were serious, but when I replied I didn't have that information.

And with myself being a keet noob, I wouldn't know anything about possibly training a keet to avoid death by fan, if any bird for that matter. I wouldn't even think to have the fan on to begin with, since besides the obvious death by fan, it could also possibly hamper their flight because of the crazy constant gust of wind that spins around the room and doesn't blow in only one direction, it's 360 degrees.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:45 PM

Again, Helwa, You were not involved. I don't see why you feel the need to insult me further.

Animal friend, I felt the same way you do when I saw this on another bird forum. I just thought I'd ask about it. Never again.

For petes sake, I can't think of any reason to lie on here or at all!!

So what I'm getting is : don't ask questions unless I have the ok of all of you??!!
Posted By: budgiesrule

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:47 PM

ummm, i didn't read it all but can i ask what is "rainbowing" please? just wondering cause someone did that on a post to someone else and was clueless
thanks

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:48 PM

You know, I stay away from the political and religious parts of this forum because I do not like stress and argumentative debate. Lately, a lot of the parakeet section has been turning over to the same thing. I have had serious issues and so have many others that we need help/support with. I come back to see if anyone has anything new to say to me and find that most of the serious questions have been pushed to page two while page one is bogged down with this silly xxxx!

I need a break. Those of you (most anyhow) who really know me, know where to find me on Facebook. I'll be there and I'll check my PM's here but I do not expect to post, or read posts, until I am assured all this political bull xxxx has been resolved.

That is sad too as I believe that I do often have good things to say to many with questions.

I won't say I am leaving because I won't, but I am taking a much needed break.

This whole forum has become ridiculous and childish.

BTW Dinah, I know you are not a troll!! PM me and I'll tell you how to find me on facebook.

Posted By: PDM

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:51 PM

I don't have time to read all this now and think of a considered response, as I am going out. I will get back to it though.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 07:55 PM

lmao
tweetymom i am involved because YOU INVOLVED ME ...

you say i was not involved and you dont understand why i am even replying

yet you said i made you feel so stupid and insulted you and so on and so on ... so when did i do that exactly ??? if im not involved and did nothing???

my god this is so wierd .... i think i might follow c-mom's lead and just walk away before i really do loose it

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:04 PM

Helwa, you weren't involved in the initial thread.

You DO make me feel like you think I'm stupid. But that is my problem and I hope you don't give it another thought.

I am sick of this. I'm tired of being insulted and called a Troll. People PM'd me , asking me n ot to leave the forum, so I wont.

Actually, CMom was one of the PM's.

And if you think it's weird, imagine how weird it makes ME feel.
I'm going to get off the computer now. I can't just sit here and cry all day!

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:06 PM

ONE person called you a troll. Others disagreed. How has one incidence caused all this?
Posted By: rebecoffey

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:13 PM

All's I can say is WOW!!

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:13 PM

i duno animalfriend .... i duno

one person called her a troll ... and has apologized kind of ... yet the rest of us have to suffer and pick up the pieces for it.

and i would really like to know when i made you feel stupid tweetymom... if you are going to throw out allegations please show me or tell me when and how ....

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:15 PM

Tweetymom, with all due respect (and I really mean that), nobody is calling you a liar. I really think that your & Helwa's conflict has ballooned out of proportion, here. I do sympathize with both of you, but sitting here reading all of this, I think it's a huge misunderstanding -- I truly think that your words or intent were misinterpreted, and I think MANY of us are edgy and possibly overreacting to perceived trollness. I hope you understand that we value you as a member and of course you can ask anything you want without our permission!! smile

THE LAST THING WE WANT TO DO IS MAKE PEOPLE FEEL STUPID. We need to work to resolve conflict. This is turning into a "drama reward" for somebody, no doubt, but the rest of us don't need this, right?
Personally, I support the idea of people taking a break from the main forum for a while if that's what they need.
Posted By: baby blue

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:16 PM

i agree that it is totally out of control. we are here because we find help, companionship and valueable info. i believe that we are also adult enough to stop this in it's tracks without help from the pm even. if someone wants to go beak to beak in private... fine. in the public part, when something comes up, just plain IGNORE IT. it is like little kids, respond ONCE to something, they figure out they got you, and the cycle begins. getting NO REACTION and after a while, interest will switch to something else.
if you have a problem with someone, let them know (privatly) and try to figure something out.
if someone has a problem with me, i would rather they come to me so i know what it was that i did to offend someone, and fix the prob.
i think that the more "troll, rainbow" stuff goes makes it VERY confusing and frustrating. the more of that, that goes on, makes it even worse and the snowball effect gets way out of control. this is a good forum, we don't want to loose any of our serious members or turn off potential new members.
we have enough war and xxxx going on in our lives now, why bring it into one of the few places that we can go and be decent and caring to each other? i believe we all have some thinking to do.
please every one... smile! smile
Posted By: Tanaka

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:19 PM

[size:14pt][b]Animal Friend Said:[/b][/size] [quote] I do want to ask why this couldn't be handled in a PM instead of being put on the board for all to see. [/quote] [size:11pt][b]Perhaps it would have been better in a PM, but putting it in a place for all could see made sense at the time since I felt this has begun to affect many people.[/b][/size] [quote] And once again, a post that is meant to cause an uproar has done its job and once again it is taking away from meaningful posts from people who ACTUALLY need help. I think that most people who read the first post can see that it was rude ... [/quote] [size:11pt][b]Wow! I’m really surprised my post came off as rude. I’m sorry if that’s how you read it. That certainly wasn’t my intention. It was also not “meant to cause an uproar,” but rather address an issue. From the title of this thread, I wanted to make it clear it was NOT a thread about a bird in need of dire help.[/b][/size] [size:14pt][b]Helwa Said: [/b][/size] [quote] tanaka i like you so dont take offense but why cant you follow your own advice ???? if you see something you do not like or then ignore it ... or if you see something you do not understand ask for clarification .... [/quote] [size:11pt][b]Helwa, I like you too and your “no nonsense” attitude. You faithfully provide excellent information & I have learned a great deal from you! But I’m not sure what you are referring to. Do you mean not ignoring this “rainbow” issue? If so, I just wanted to put out my feelings. I know I am only one member, and I’ve been here only a year (almost), but I’d like to think have contributed to the forum in a positive, upbeat manner. But this “rainbow” thing has started to bring me down. I just wanted to say my two cents worth It seems like now, when a question someone thinks is “foolish” is asked, “rainbow” comments get started. FOR EXAMPLE: Someone wants to know if their keet’s color can be changed. . . maybe this person heard about budgies which actually have surprisingly changed colors (some members have had this happen) & wanted to know how it was done (if it was controlled), maybe it’s an 8 year old with permission from PDM and her parents to ask, maybe it is a “troll” I don’t know, But after one post, neither does anyone. But for whatever reason, after one post, we are going to label them a “rainbow?” To me it just doesn’t seem like much of a friendly greeting. I can understand people’s feelings about this & “being bogged down” with this type of “bickering.” And it seems like I have offended people by bringing this up & for that I am sorry. I know how important it is to give information that can SAVE A LIFE or educated bird owners. But I’ve felt this “rainbow” term has started to get in the way of this. [/b][/size]

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:22 PM

all we need now is someone to slap a link with a virus in it and we've got a day!

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:24 PM

Last post on this.

Helwa, I apologize to you for thinking these things. Look back in the threads if you want that info. I hope you can get past all this.

Possibly I mis-understood all this.

Minty Moose was the first one to call me a troll. Then others did too. But it's all good.

I have to get off here right now. Have a good day.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:24 PM

You know what Tanaka, THANK YOU. You took criticism and you addressed it and moved on, I wish we could all be more like you myself included. If you truly didn't start this thread to cause a problem, then I believe you and I apologize for accusing you of it. I retract that statement. Yes, I think this could have been better handled in a PM, but it wasn't, so at least everyone gets to air their greviances and we will all move on. I have already said that I will not use the rainbow thing anymore if it is upsetting people. I just kind of wish someone would have told me in private instead of publically.
Posted By: SweetBirdies

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:25 PM

CAN WE SERIOUSLY DROP THIS???
Hewla if you want to ask question's and get answers DO IT IN A PM... be respectful. you are making yourselves look stupid by arguing in public. (sorry if that is an offensive statement.) it is childish to NOT handle this privately.

as we can all see this has now become about ONLY 2 people. stop arguing here. it is NOT WORTH other peoples time to get involved.

we all know that if PDM did have time to read this, IT WOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN BLOCKED FROM MORE REPLIES. SO COME ON STOP ALREADY!

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:25 PM

I thoroughly explained why I said "rainbow". Adios (on account of myself being done with this thread, not wishing anyone to leave)

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:28 PM

PDM, I'm sorry for my part in this. My feelings were hurt and it just went from bad to worse. There were only a couple people in it in the first place and then.....!

I am not a Troll. I don't see how it could be perceived like that. But I have apologized to people involved and I'm thru with this. I may or my not leave the forum, but I Am Not A Troll.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:30 PM

Here's the thing. You are not addressing the fact that we, about 6 or 7 times now have said that you are in fact not a troll. Then you continue to say (falsely I might add) that we are calling you a troll. THAT in itself is acting like a troll.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:32 PM

God, this is really getting ugly. Please guys, I'm begging you all, just drop it. People's feeling are just gonna keep getting hurt if this continues, I can see where going and this is ITS NOT WORTH IT.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:33 PM

OK Ant, I'll stop. If I have anything more to say it will be in the PM.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:33 PM

You know what Tanaka, THANK YOU. You took criticism and you addressed it and moved on, I wish we could all be more like you myself included.
Ditto (and well-said, i.m.o.).

Originally Posted By: SweetBirdies
...we all know that if PDM did have time to read this, IT WOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN BLOCKED FROM MORE REPLIES.
You are probably right, SweetBirdies, but I always feel conflicted when that happens. Yes, the repetition and the anger get shut down, but so does any possibility of reconciling viewpoints or clearing up confusion...

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:38 PM

I did a little research on our accused trolls. HOW IRONIC LOOK AT THIS:

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthread...4132#Post364132

who's the culprit?

--thus nulling my previos Adios. blah.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:39 PM

grrrrr

my god this do es not end.

if someone addresses me publically and asks me questions or accuses me of something publically i most certainly will defend myself PUBLICALLY and with much GUSTO...

tweety ... its all good ... i was just trying to understand when and how i made you feel stupid if i did ... it was never my intention to do so and i am pretty sure i havent so i was asking you to show me when this happened ...if it ididnt then thats fine but if it idd then i need to know about it. I can not do something about something if i am not aware of its happening lol

tanaka smile well done smile i understand but do you see how one post became all this???? there is alot of history here that you may not be aware of, as you arent here all the time and thats ok, but we are not a rude or mean bunch of people here ... so if we are upset about something its ussually for a good reason.

tweety i do not want you to leave ... no one thinks you are a troll even the person who said it has apologized and moved on.
Posted By: joandboys

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 08:54 PM

I truly feel that Tanaka was trying to help. I was here also for the original "post" where the "rainbow" reference was used regarding suspected "troll like" comments. I was not informed by anyone that it was the "friendlier" code word for indicating suspected trolls.

In the following week I saw someone else besides myself question if it was being used in reference to our posts. Another person, was offended and got hurt feelings.

It might have started out as a alternative to announceing a suspected "troll" but an alternative would have been to PM the suspected troll or "notify".

When the rules are posted everyone knows what something means or how to handle things. Only a few knew of this and I agree it has seen it's day.

The recommended way to "deal" with trolls according to the web site that was published pretty much said that responding "publicly" and feeding the reactions is "NOT" the way to do it.

The problem with a word like "rainbow" that insinuates something is that it "CAN" be misunderstood.

Frankly, if everyone read that web site, Trolls sometimes don't even know they are doing it.

In my opinion, if we all worried more about other's feelings and less about our own, none of us would have "Troll" like behavior, including myself.

We can't hear the inflection nor can we see the expression on anyone's face on here. That is why we have diplomacy. We also don't need to reinvent the wheel. If enough posts about suspected behavior get sent to Lisa and PDM they will respond appropriately. We may not know about it but we can be sure the happiness of this forum is even more important to them than to us.
Posted By: Dixie&Miss' Mama

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 09:40 PM

I KNOW!!! CAN WE JUST STOP!!! THIS FIGHTING IS getting us no where. Just drop it off. & same with Pudgie's Mom. I'm going to probably just call it a bit of quits for a while off of this forum. Good day.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Pudgie's mom

I think it needs to be said that "hijacking" a thread with rainbow comments was a form of social protest. Sounds overstated, but it's true --- many, many people had already cried "troll" to no avail; many people have PMed the alleged troll, and many people have PMed PDM about repeated troll-type posts, to no avail. As TuckyChic said,
Originally Posted By: KentuckyChicken

Joandboys, apparently you missed my point (or you have me on ignore mode or whatever). You (and other people too, evidently) aren't getting the key point: many members have taken all the right steps to lodge many complaints and concerns, regarding post after post, and nothing has been done (except for several public reprimands about not posting without sources/data/facts).

I think your sentence about how we should worry about other people's feelings, not our own, belongs in the religion section. The issue right here, right now, is how to resolve an ongoing conflict.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Dixie&Miss' Mama
& same with Pudgie's Mom.
I would like an explanation of this. I can't understand what this means, and I am angry that my name is invoked in an incomprehensible way. I also want to know how the vet visit went with that poor bird (you stated publicly in a post about a week or two ago that you had an appt. at the avian vet for May 19th.) I also want to know when you will buy a non-toxic, large cage, and toys for the birds.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 10:17 PM

yes she said her appointment was the 19th ... that was yesterday ... did you go to the vet ?

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/20/09 10:19 PM

make a new thread? kthx.
Posted By: joandboys

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 01:10 AM

I didn't miss anything, including your post dripping with condescention. I don't need anyone least of all you to recommend where my posts should appear or not appear. Let's just put it out there...I don't like your style and you don't like my style. Despite that fact, you are not going to discourage me from posting on controversial subjects with your jackboot critique of my posts as being uninformed or missing the point. I will just wipe the drool off my chin and try to pay better attention.

I am not as soft as you think, I just have the ability to see past the unimportant drivel and enough mistakes under my belt to not be driven by my ego.

Why don't you give it a rest and stop flexing your debate muscles on me every time I have an opinion. It really is so obvious to everyone who reads your posts. Your favorite thing to criticise besides my soft side is how this forum is run, and that is so tired. If you can do it so much better why don't you create one and do it.

I refuse to get sucked into another discussion with you where you decide what the real issue is.

I think the only real issue here is people making their own rules when there are already rules in place. Who elected you the judge of when it isn't working anyway? I am sure they don't check in with you everytime they enforce a rule. That doesn't mean that PDM and Lisa are sitting on their duffs and doing nothing.

It is really old hearing you bash how this forum is run every time some controversy rears it's ugly head.

Now it's your chance, make it a good one because I won't be commenting in return. Oh and don't forget to mention something derogatory about my soft side.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 01:13 AM

pudgie ... just ignore it.
Posted By: Carl

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 01:25 AM

Yes, ignore the comment. Issues about danger to birds and/or animals are important. Feelings are also important. And, indeed, some of us rub others wrong. I rub several people wrong, I know.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 01:31 AM

If people truly believe that we have 'trolls' on the forum, then why are they not following the advice ~ do not respond; do not feed the trolls.

And if they are mistaken about the trolls, no harm has been done.

This 'issue' is taking up way too much space. It's difficult to wade through all the posts.

Infighting isn't helpful, either.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 01:33 AM

well normally ignoring would be the solution, however, in this case ignoring means life threatening advice is being handed out about innocent birds.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 01:44 AM

Sorry, Carl, but this isn't entirely about rubbing others wrong. It's really not about feelings, either, at least not on my part.

It's about standing up and trying to fix an unfair situation; I know how pompous that sounds but honestly that's what it is. If everyone sat around wringing their hands and moaning about softness and why we can't all just get along, I wouldn't be allowed to vote, my neighbor would still be a slave, and children would still work 10 hour days in factories. I don't think I'm always right, but there are times when I can't just sit there passively. "Stand up, speak up, and work for change" -- the motto for nearly everyone since the 1960s (except far-right Republicans and Joandboys, apparently). It'd be a lot easier for me today to just give up & write the forum off.

Originally Posted By: joandboys
... my posts as being uninformed or missing the point. I will just wipe the drool off my chin and try to pay better attention.
That'll work. You seem to be painting me as some sort of egotistical vanguard for the proletariate or something; I'd happily sit down and shut up if you would like to forge ahead. But that would involve conflict and ickyness, so I guess not, and if that's your choice, fine.

Gotta go find my jackboots now...
Posted By: Carl

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 02:01 AM

As for the ignoring, I was agreeing with what you said, Helwa, to Pudgie's Mom, about Jo's comments.

Pudgie's Mom, I understand that it is about more than feelings. I thought I was supporting you.

I very much agree that dangerous information or situations should not be allowed to stand unchallenged.

In fact, just as on a autoimmune support board where the discussion board has a warning that none of the posters nor the board are giving medical advice, and that one should seek professional help, new people on here should be informed that many state opinions - some quite wrong, or even harmful.

Personally, if I ever have a keet in my home, I would trust Helwa's advice. And I've been coming here long enough to know which ones know the most (and most of you know quite a lot). Yet, it would still be my responsibility to check with professional resource people.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Carl
I very much agree that dangerous information or situations should not be allowed to stand unchallenged.

In fact, just as on a autoimmune support board where the discussion board has a warning that none of the posters nor the board are giving medical advice, and that one should seek professional help, new people on here should be informed that many state opinions - some quite wrong, or even harmful.

Personally, if I ever have a keet in my home, I would trust Helwa's advice. And I've been coming here long enough to know which ones know the most (and most of you know quite a lot). Yet, it would still be my responsibility to check with professional resource people.
Good points, i.m.o.!

I believe Lisa and PDM have lots of disclaimer statements at various points on Lisa's main keet advice site and on the "required reading for newbies" threads at the beginning of each forum topic. Many of us worry, though, that guests or newbies might now see them...

I appreciate the support, Carl smile

Re: "don't feed the trolls" -- this is precisely the problem: [quote=*helwa]well normally ignoring would be the solution, however, in this case ignoring means life threatening advice is being handed out about innocent birds.
/quote] I tried, I really did! I used the ignore feature. When I scanned Active Posts one day, though, there was a recipe including raw egg for keets. I just felt that I should say something quickly. Later on I heard about similar incidents.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 02:26 AM

oh god raw eggs???? thank god i missed that one!!!!

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 02:27 AM

I hope to keep an eye on these 'rainbow' accusations.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 02:29 AM

I saw a recipe with eggs ~ but not raw ones.
The one I saw included chopped egg.
You can't chop raw egg.
Where was the raw egg recipe?

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 02:39 AM

She edited her post after it was pointed out.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 02:51 AM

So it actually said 'raw' egg?

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 02:53 AM

Um, I don't remember. I would like to say no, but I don't remember for sure.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 02:56 AM

It could just have been interpretation.

After all, if I told someone to add eggs to a salad, I would mean hard boiled eggs, not raw ones; I'd assume that they realised this.

However, I agree that it is important to ensure that people realise that one means cooked eggs ~ not raw ones.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 07:27 AM

Here's the original thread: http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthread...5641#Post365641

Step one said just "egg" & step five said "chop eggs." I, too, initially figured that people would understand that the eggs had to be hard-boiled, but then it nagged at me that maybe they really wouldn't know, since her recipe is similar to so many breading/coating recipes for chicken. Then salmonella crossed my mind, and I jumped in, to be on the safe side.

This was after her posts about cage sizes (can't find the link -- something about 13" x 13" x ?" being okay for two budgies) and about keets becoming depressed and dying if their wings are clipped...

I would not have come down so hard on her had there not been so many previous incorrect posts on her part.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 07:46 AM

There is no problem with disagreeing with someone.
There is plenty of disagreement on the forum.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 08:06 AM

Certainly, but I think one dimension to all of this is that it seems to be such a pattern -- she posts something either wrong or incomprehensible, others post a reaction to that, she says "oops - sorry," and then does it again and again and again.

I know that several people have bent over backwards to advise her, show her the ropes, etc.

I guess I'm saying that it's not a matter of occasional disagreement, it's a matter of constant chaos -- so many of her posts send so many people into a tizzy. If it were one or two people regularly in a tizzy, I would think "personality conflict" or "different personal style." If she weren't getting helpful, constructive advice from long-term members, I would think she's merely unfamiliar with forums.

The main issue for me (and others, too, I suspect) right now is: how to not feed a troll but also be on the lookout for extremely bad budgie advice. Am I the official forum police? No, but I feel very uncomfortable leaving incorrect or dangerous advice just floating in active threads. What will happen if we all ignore her posts, and don't we all have a shared responsibility to catch erroneous information? I don't want to take things TOO seriously, but I don't want wildly inaccurate keet info posted without informed responses. I imagine we all share that goal...
Posted By: **mattie**

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 10:24 AM

I would really like to close this down for now. I am sending a notification.

Re: "RAINBOWING" People. . .Time To STOP??? - 05/21/09 11:09 AM

To clarify ~ and this is for anyone new to budgies / parakeets.

Read, study, learn, ask questions.

Double check everything, because you may receive poor advice.

Not even all vets are reliable, so try to check them out.

Do not give advice, information, etc, unless and until you have the knowledge & experience to do so.

Be sure to check your wording, so that it cannot be misunderstood.

Be aware that bad advice can be dangerous.

If your pet is injured, or seems ill, go to a reputable vet ~ and go soon.

This is Lisa's introduction to the health section:
Quote:
You should ALWAYS talk to a vet immediately if your keet is at all behaving oddly. Parakeets try to hide their sickness to survive in nature, and if you wait until it gets "worse" it could be too late. A vet visit fund (around $30) should always be set aside in your household for emergencies.

Sometimes new members / new bird-owners are enthusiastic, but ignorant of some of the realities.

So not respond to lack of knowledge with rudeness.
If someone asks a question and the answer seems obvious to you, that does not mean that the answer is obvious to everyone.

Talking of 'trolls' and 'rainbows', because someone asks an innocent question, is not acceptable. Indeed it could either frighten them off, or make them so nervous that follow-up posts seem unnatural, because the member is nervous of saying the wrong thing.

On the other hand, once the question has been answered, and advice given, it would be as well to act on that advice, if it is coming from people who know what they are talking about ~ even if you double-check it with with someone else first.

So a potentially broken bone needs a vet ~ and quickly.

I understand that Missy & Dixie's Mom is going to the vet today.
I hope that the member will get back to us with some good & straightforward answers ~ and that other members will respond politely.

Hopefully all will be well.
If so, then may I suggest a fresh start, please.
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum