Lisa Shea

To bathe or not to bathe...

Posted By: skippy_and_pippy

To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 12:17 AM

Well, it's kinda getting chilly around here so I was wondering if I should let my keets take baths. I know they have to wash themselves but I'm afraid that they might catch a cold when they're wet. Sadly, the blow dryer scares the birdie poo out of them...so I don't really know what to do...

Any suggestions?
Thank you very much.. smile
Posted By: Trinity & Trey's Mommy

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 12:51 AM

You could give them a bath but make sure it is not cold in the room because they might get sick but if is's warm they should be fine
Posted By: Blaze

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 12:57 AM

Well they have baths with lids, and the water is warm... yeah the shouldn't be in a room with a temperature below 72(F) I would say because that is kind of warm and makes sure the are away from your vents and try to put something in there for them to use... that is warm like a towel or blaneket... maybe someone who has given their bird a bath can help you more cause Kazu is still getting used to his so I don't have water in it yet... he of course is afraid of it right now... so it is just sitting in the cage... empty... well good luck.
Posted By: I Love Gus & Milo

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 01:00 AM

well what I would do is warm the bathroom up if you can (run super hot water in the tub, turn on a heater, or run a blowdryer for awhile) and after the room is warm, let you bird take a warm bath, but keep the keet in the warm room tell they are good and dry. take your cage in there if you have to, but don't let them out of the warm area intell they are dry (inless the rest of yyour house is at like 73 or higher as well) good luck laugh

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 01:01 AM

I'm going to get Trinity a bath because she always poops on her perches when she swings and she steps in it and it sticks to her feet and it's kind of gross
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 01:04 AM

gee my birds love the warm air from the blow dryer. Today only 1 was wet but when i started blowing him, all the birds wanted it too. I jus tmae sure not to stand close or hold the dryer still. I keep it moving like when I am blowing my hair dry.
Posted By: tuxedogirl

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 02:37 AM

My birds love the blow drier, but upon reading the user information found that it had teflon on it, so, the poor deprived birds don't get to use it any more (do most blow driers have some sort of teflon?). But, for those rare, rare times they bathe, they hop onto the towel and let me rub them dry a little bit. Harry doesn't so much (because he doesn't have as much of an attitude problem!) but P always lets me know when she's done drying off. I turn the heat on it their room, cover their cage a little more with the blanket (about half way) and shut the door so it isn't as drafty and it hold the heat in.
Posted By: adieu

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 02:43 AM

we have never used a blow dryer with esso - he loves his baths - we use warm water - and just whatever our temperature in our house is year round which is typically about 70 in the winter and 73 in the summer. he never seems chilled after a bath - i think they can shake themselves off very well if they feel like it. just so long as you don't live in a cold house with draughts, i don't see a problem.

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 02:49 AM

So what I should do cause kazu is loving his bath tub and keeps trying to get into it... I should take his the the bathroom after it is warm... cause it is 68 in most of my house, but the bathroom stays warmer... the vent in there stays closed... how long do they take to dry an average time?

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 03:51 AM

i think it is fine - does he seem happy and content afterwards? they dry pretty quickly if they are active afterwards. sometimes esso does just sit for awhile and then he can look pretty drippy for awhile, but it does not seem to bother him. i would not change your routine if he seems happy. 68 degrees is not much different than 70 degrees in my book.
Posted By: eakeaty

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 04:48 AM

Ilo wont take baths, I think he is afraid of the water . . .but I've only ever tried in the sink or in a bowl near the sink. Would he be more confortable taking a bath in his cage? Should I leave the empty bath dish in his cage until he is used to it and then try filling it?
Posted By: Sky&Friends

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 08:27 AM

well some times i have to give sky a bath (mabye cuz she stepped in some poop or got dirty ) i just put some warm water in a big basin and let her get in she lieks it alot if you ask me and when she wants to get out she just starts scwaking at me like "ok i'm done now can you get me out of here NOW" lol but i see no problem with it if you ask me if some one has anything to say about it please do

lol she is so fun some times she likes to lay on her back and just float around in the water
or she will speard her wings ( while she is on her belly) and float some more or some times i give her a plastic lid from a container that she can geab on to and use as a floaty it and some times she will sit on my finger in the water like "oooooh this feelllls soooo good "with her eys closed and evert thing she looks so comfy and warm

and as for keeping her warm i like to wrap her up in a towel or a cloth and let her warm up a bit til she is readt to come out from the towle at that point i will let her sit on my finger for a seccond and if she is still wet i put her back in her cage and cover it up with a nice warm towel so you can only see in the front of the cage un til she starts moving around a bit like her normal self at that point i take the towel of the cage and play some music for her

she seems to like the entire process alot from my point of view and we both have fun after with some nice millet for her and some juice for me untill she decides to turn away and fly to her cage and then she will go and play by her self and i go to use the computer or somthing

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 08:29 AM

sorry eakeaty i have nothing to say for you r problem but that whatever you try good luck and i hope it all goes well
Posted By: Sylv

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 10:43 AM

Sky are you putting her into deep water?

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 11:06 AM

I don't worry about the blowdryer, it doesn't get HOT enough to smoke or release chemicals. I have central air (which is almost a necessity in Florida)and the birds can get chilled quick. I think the warm air reminds them of the warm breeze blowing through the trees of their ancestory. smile
Posted By: Jazziered

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 05:53 PM

I put some water in my bath bowl and laid some millet across the top of it the first day I got the bath bowl... My birds hadn't had millet in a week and were soo over the moon to get to it.. They went straight to the tub.. And when they realized the tub had water in it.. They went NUTS... Well at least for the blue tub.. They don't like the pink tub.. I will have to go get another blue tub....

I read that birds should be offered a bath at least once a week.. AND I put their tubs in their cage....

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 06:23 PM

I put the tub in almost everyday. They will always go to it, drink some of the water and splash around in it. Sometimes it becomes a depository of stuff.

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/12/05 07:08 PM

no sylv it is just deep enigh for skys feet to touch the bottem of the bin and she can littraly walk around a bit, but mostly she just likes to float or preen the water in to her feathers until like i said she stalt scwaking at me

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/13/05 03:49 AM

Hey today I tried to get Kazu to take a bath... he was all fine with me taking him into the warm bathroom and filling the tub up... he liked looking down at himself in the water... he would sit on my hand and stare at it... then I tried to put him in a bit just to see what he would do and I got the end of his tail wet and he jumped off my hand and got on the top perch... then I went to pet him and he jumped back on my hand... I tried the same thing again... and he did the same thing... we did this for like 20 minutes... then I moved the tub a bit closer to his favorite perch and I got down to his feet with him on my hand before he jumped off... then he wanted to do it again... I think he will one day get ion the tub, but for now he was having fun playing with me. It was funny how he kept lifting his foot into the air until I put my hand up to him and start step up... I gave him some millet afterwards and he was so happy.
I think he is finally starting to trust me after him letting me get him wet...
Then I took him to the edge of his cage... not out... and started talking to him and he opened his beak a few times and make a little clicking noise... like I said I was happy... maybe he will let me get him out in a few weeks. laugh

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/13/05 03:50 AM

I think he likes the color yellow... that is what color the bath tub I got him is... it has a mirror at the bootom of it.
Posted By: I Love Gus & Milo

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/13/05 05:44 PM

Awww... Good for you blaze! it sounds like Kazu is really starting to bond laugh It took gus awhile to trust the water, but once they do it is a great thing to wacth them play around.

Sky- Is there a way you could get a film or pic of your keet "swimming" or playing in the water?? Gus will not play in anything other than his tub (and only if I have it in the sink) and his tub is not big enough for him to float in laugh I would love to see what it looks like laugh

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/14/05 04:09 AM

Thanks I love Gus... I hope he starts trusting the water soon cause I really think he will like it.
Posted By: gaiasmaiden

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/14/05 02:52 PM

i have a large bath at the bottom of my birds cage and even tho the weather is getting cooler they are still bathing

i keep my houst at 72 in the winter so they will be fine taking as many baths as they want

by the way...

my birds have also made there bath a place to play with their balls

one of my keets will carry a ball over and put it in the bath, then stand on the side and push it around to which ever bird is closest

if no other bird is will to play at the time, the bird will hop in the bath and play by its self

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/14/05 02:54 PM

my birds have also made there bath a place to play with their balls

I won't touch that statment. smile eek wink

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/14/05 02:55 PM

Hope I didn't offend anyone I just couldn't resist.

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/14/05 02:57 PM

My birds kind of bathe each other. They will use their beak to throw water on each other. Today I put 3 tubs in the cage (1 for each couple) but I haven't seen anybirdie wet yet. They like the new big cage I have 10 food dishes and 4 water hanging all around the cage.
Posted By: gaiasmaiden

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/14/05 03:08 PM

how large is your cage animom?

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/14/05 03:21 PM

It's 30x18x18. There are 6 birds in it. Big enough to fly in. I leave a big space in the middle so they can fly perch to perch and flap their wings etc.

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/14/05 03:51 PM

I tried Trinity's first bath two days ago and she seemed to like it. She wouldn't go near it at first but then I put a locked mirror in front of it and she hopped right on and started to play with herself in the mirror, her tail was soaked... then I tried to get her to go in it but she wouldn't and she sat on the edge of the tub looking at herself in the mirror on the bottom then she would drink some water... I'm going to try it again next week and hopefully it goes a little better... I did get my fingers wet and touch her and she didn't mind it
Posted By: skippy_and_pippy

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/14/05 09:39 PM

Today was quite warm--around 72 degrees, so I gave the keeties a bath..YAY!
The temperature around here fluctuates like crazy, so this is a very rare oppurtunity.
Question: How deep should the water be? Up to their legs? their wings? their necks?

Thanks for all your replies! Unfortunately, my keeties aren't familiar in the bathroom and they probably won't feel secure enough to start bathing... smile

Re: To bathe or not to bathe... - 11/14/05 10:36 PM

i would do 1 inch or less (at least that is what i do and it works well for esso)
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum