Lisa Shea

The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help.

Posted By: ZorkZork69

The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 01:44 AM

What he does now is chirps when I'm not paying attention to him. He is definitely getting better. Today he was running and fluttering around and he was getting himself into very tight predicaments. Today he flew into my fish tank but I got him out quickly and dryed him off. He seems perfectly okay now. I dryed him with a towel and he was preening for a while after that happened . Anyways, he was getting himself into tight spots and he was squaking like crazy. I got him out and he was running away from me. My mom said that the wings need to be clipped more because he can get some decent airtime. Then he will be tamer and act better. This bird knows exactly where to bite also. He bites me in the "webbed" area between the fingers. He only bit me once but he's getting much better. Any tips I could use????????????? I may just have this thread be my Chi-Chi journal so I don't have to create new threads for each problem.
Posted By: joandboys

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 02:54 AM

Sounds like you have a very smart, curious little guy or girl. He sounds intelligent because he is curious

First of all, don't react to a bite. Don't raise your voice or pull away. Let him chew until you can remove your hand gently and slowly and go in the other room and scream! LOL. If you show fear they will smell it. Try not to put him in situations that will become a bad habit. Use a perch to pick him up if you can, until he gets used to being rescued and realizes it is for his own good. That way, he won't learn to bite you. Talk sweetly no matter how much of a brat he is.

Always clip just enough feathers to let them glide to the floor without thumping. a little air time is ok as it gives him exercise. Don't clip all of the feathers at first.

Lastly, go around the house and look for spaces behind book shelves or pianos or stoves where if he hit the wall and fell behind, you could get him without moving something. sometimes you can't move the thing like a "Stove". Try to block access. Folded towels, pieces of cardboard taped in place. Tin foil folded. Cover open water and close toilets. Cover your fish tank as it is full of bacteria that can be harmful to him. Cover open containers of anything. Make sure all of your house plants are the kind allowed around birds. If they are not, move them to other rooms or get rid of them. All they have to do is take a bite of some of the wrong plants and death is inevitible.

Check for bare or frayed wires to lamps etc. They love to chew them. Remove all candles or at least don't use them. Cover windows with at least shears. Cover mirrors the same way or remove them. Keep doors closed to rooms and in hallways when you enter or leave. They can fly into them by accident.

Check to make sure all non stick cookware, baking pans and cookie sheets are changed for stainless ones. Do not use self cleaning ovens while keets are in the house.
Posted By: kksuns

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 03:17 AM

Yep, sounds like he's definitely starting to get use to his surroundings if he is wanting to venture out of his cage! LOL
Take joans advise and keet proof your house if you're going to let him fly around. Up to you if you want to clip him more but also like joan said-not too much or he will crash land-THUMP! I think If he is flying too well right now tho, that you might want to clip a little more tho-at least til you get him more tame.Then you can let his flight feathers grow back out again when he's more tame and easier to manage.
Good idea about the "Official Chi Chi thread LOL
And YES they do seem to find the PERFECT spots to take a bite don't they!!! Little xxxxxxx smile
Posted By: BLR

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 05:03 AM

It wont take him long to discover the very best place to bite is right on the cuticle - trust me he will.
Posted By: Tanaka

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 09:44 AM

[size:14pt][b]Kksuns Said:[/b][/size] [quote] Little bxxxxxxx [/quote] [size:11pt][b]I used that expression in an old thread once and PDM censored it! :o I think there is a cultural difference depending on where you live as to the actual meaning of it. After I was censored, I looked it up on a web dictionary & thought “Oh, that’s not what I meant!” :crazy: I never considered it to be an “offensive” term. I had used it (like Kksuns did) to mean “little rascal!” But that wasn’t included in the definition at all. I think, geographically, the word may have changed over time? ? ? ? ? ? :confused: [color:#990000]ZorkZork:[/color] Good luck with the “Official Chi Chi Chronicles!” :D I’m glad to hear he’s wanting to explore. :) Just take everyone’s advice on budgie-proofing your home. . . It could definitely prevent some future heartache. [/b][/size] ;)

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 01:48 PM

Thanx you guys great input. But how would I go about covering up the fishtank???? He loves his cage way too much now. lol
Well... I woke up today to hear Cheech munching away at his food. I tried to grab him but he was squawking. No biting but still. I had a struggle to get him out of his cage and he came out onto my finger. I was petting him and talking to him softly. Then he swiftly flew back all the way right into his cage. Like literally he flew into the cage not even perching on the outside first. He's growing everyday.
Posted By: Kisa_411

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 02:17 PM

make sure he doesn't discover the area beneath your fingernail!!! that place hurts A LOT!!
laugh

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 02:47 PM

Knuckle bites hurt too! LOL
ZorkZork,if you want him to stay out of his cage and spend more time with you, you can cover his cage with something(or remove it from the room) after you get him out. I remember I had to cover Levi's cage at first when I had him out or he would try to go right back in too. smile
As for your fish tank-can you cover it with a screen or something? Or a grate or chicken wire or something? You really should figure something out because fish tank water is full of bacteria etc and not only that Chi Chi could drown in it! frown
Tanaka- what exactly did little bxxxxx mean when you looked it up? I'm just curious..I had no idea it could be offensive..anywhere LOL hmmmm

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 03:29 PM

Kksuns Asked: [quote]Tanaka- what exactly did little bugger mean when you looked it up? I'm just curious..I had no idea it could be offensive..anywhere LOL hmmmm [/quote] [size:11pt][b]“Bugger” is defined as: “a highly offensive term for somebody who practices anal intercourse.” :o But like you, I never knew that it could be an offensive term. :crazy: I’ve always heard it as a sort of [color:#990000]cute / enduring term to mean “rascal.” [/color]:D So I was totally shocked when I was censored by PDM & even more shocked when I looked up the word (especially because I TRY to keep my language “clean” on the forum. . .) :) At home, well. . . I guess it isn’t too bad, I just wonder if Dango Chan will pick up an obscenity or two he shouldn’t![/b][/size] ;) [color:#6600CC][PDM : I have edited the rest of the thread, but I think that I should leave this in, as it is factual info :) :) ][/color]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 03:34 PM

It's amazing how phrases used in American can be quite different in other countries. Yes, the word "bxxxxx" is a no-no in England and other European countries. I've often used the term "little bxxxxx", to mean little rascal.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 03:40 PM

OMG! I had NO idea it could mean THAT! LOL Guess I better watch what I say huh? I will admit to swearing waaay too much here at home,(Levi hasn't picked up on any of my choice words YET smile ) but I TRY to keep it clean here on the forum. I guess I better try a little harder!

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 03:46 PM

I know what you mean! LOL laugh

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 04:47 PM

Well... I have a new strategy... I leave his cage open while I'm in the room. I stay in the room and everyt 30 minutes I go and pet him on his back and talk to him. He hasn't squawked in a while but I have been hearing little chirping sounds.If IU let him out of the cage and cover it then he will fly all around the room and try to get away.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/17/09 05:08 PM

Sounds good! I think it's great you're being so patient with him and going at his pace rather then trying to force him on to your hand or grabbing him to take him out smile It will form a much stronger bond in the long run and he will trust you more.
What does he do when you just hold your hand in his cage? Or what does he do if you play with his toys and act all happy about it?
You're doing a great job! My bird hops on my finger/hand no problem,sits on shoulder,plays with his toys with me, hangs out with us...but he won't let me pet him. He HATES it! He'll let me pet his belly a little but no way will he let me pet his back or his head. I keep trying tho...maybe some day LOL

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/18/09 07:42 PM

New "Problem":
Chi-Chi is now being a perch potato. He hasn't played with any of his toys ever. He always just sits there until I go to get him out. I play soft music for him when I'm not there, the temperature in the room is about 70 degrees, proper food, good water. He used to do a little chirping. Now he is not chirping whatsoever. He only squawks. But... today while I was cleaning his cage out I saw all of these little white feathers and even a tailfeather at the bottom of his cage. Is he molting or what??? He gets all puffed upand then when I go to touch him he goes back to normal.
What's going on with Cheech???
Posted By: Jasper's mom

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/18/09 08:25 PM

Jasper did not play with his toys when he was younger. I had to start playing with them in his cage to show him what to do with them. He then did start playing on his own (of course, now he wants me to play with him). I still show him anything new that I put in his cage.

It does sounds like he could be molting. That can make them be tired and cranky and they can suddenly start biting and not want to be bothered. Jasper will also just have a quiet day once in awhile. (which is a nice break for me!)

I think you would enjoy this site that kind of describes some parakeet behaviors. It's interesting and has some good pictures with it: http://www.budgieplace.com/behavior.html

If I haven't told you before, Welcome to the forum! (I was out of town when you joined) Chi-Chi is very pretty smile

Posted By: Jasper's mom

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/18/09 08:27 PM

kksuns.....Jasper lets me skritch his belly in exchange for me letting him bite my finger...that's fair, right?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/18/09 08:37 PM

"Perch potato" LOL Those little fluff feathers are normal.It does sound like he might be starting to molt tho-and like Jasper's mom said-they get cranky and tired acting.Does he have any pokey looking pin feathers coming out on his head or anywhere?
And for toys-yeah you might have to show him how to play and make it look like it's sooo fun!Play with his toys often and hopefully he will catch on. I had to do that with Levi too and still do with new stuff.
Jasper's mom, yes that does indeed sound like a fair deal. smile Does he let you scritch his head? You'd think they would LIKE it, especially when they're molting and there's no other bird there to do it for them!! Geesh!

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/18/09 08:39 PM

The funny part is the fact that Cheech doesn't bite that often. He has only bitten me twice in the week I've had him. He has done something called a "warning" bite that he just puts his beak on my finger like he is about to bite but he doesn't

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/18/09 08:54 PM

Oh give him time! LOL OUCH!

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/20/09 06:16 PM

Today he chirped a few times in his cage and he eats millet like a pig. He doesn't really move around a lot but he goes to his food dish and water... I'm trying to play with his toys to get him to see how much fun it is but no luck yet.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/20/09 06:57 PM

He's being a little booger when I try and get him out. He'll hop off and fly back into his cage. I cover the cage up but He still does it. Any advice???

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/20/09 07:13 PM

What does he do if you leave the cage door open? Probably still doesn't come out? IDK other than just giving him more time. Even short periods of time out is better than none. And the more often the better. My bird was clipped so it was easier to keep him from flying back in.When I first started taking him out(I would kind of have to trick him into it when he stepped up on my finger,because he wasn't too keen on coming out either)Hw would want to go right back in too. But he couldn't fly..I could tell he wanted to go in tho-he would bob up and down lookin at his cage and would TRY to get there.I didn't force him to stay out..I out him back in and said good boy and stuff. Then I started covering his cage and he'd stay out longer but I would put him back when he started acting real nervous about it.
Now I have all I can do to keep him IN his cage and he's flying and goes in and out as he pleases.
IDK..maybe you should get him clipped?
OR...have you tried taking him into a safe room away from his cage? Easier said than done?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/20/09 07:22 PM

You're right. If I leave it open he just sits there. We got his wings clipped/. Very Well too. But he can still fly. It's ridiculous how well he can fly. I take him into another room and he''s perfectly good.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/20/09 08:07 PM

Well then keep taking him into another room smile What does he do in another room? Does he like to sit with you?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/20/09 08:09 PM

Yeah... He'll run around and explore. Or he'll sit on my shoulder. I don't let him do that because my mom says that it's his way of saying : "I'm boss!"

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/20/09 08:12 PM

What do you mean? You don't let him do what cause it's his way of saying he's boss?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/20/09 09:48 PM

If ZorkZork means he/she doesn't let bird sit on shoulder: There's a lot of controversy about that, from what I've read & heard.

Some sources say you're letting the bird dominate you, others say the bird thinks they're your equal (since it's almost eye-to-eye), and other sources say "Who cares? The bird's having fun and bonding with you"...???...

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/21/09 06:20 PM

hmm I never knew that!
But if they're not "supposed" to sit on your shoulder then????
Posted By: BLR

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/21/09 06:54 PM

Well it has to be better than sitting on your head and they love to do that.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/21/09 07:22 PM

Chi-Chi has tryed to do that to me. I pulled him off my head though. (Not literally) So I'm gunna go around and let him sit on my shoulder then ?? My brother does that with his and my brother moves around with his bird on his shoulder and the bird is perfectly fine. He'll also sit on my glasses.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/21/09 10:44 PM

LOL -- wait til he not only sits on your glasses but chews on them!

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/22/09 05:47 PM

Update:
He hasn't chirped in a WHILE!!! He's being awfully quite. He was in the room with me and I forgot he was in here. It's crazy. I try and play with him and nothing happens. He only chirps to youtube videos now.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/22/09 11:18 PM

Anyone??? Sorry to bump but...

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 12:53 AM

Sorry IDK what to tell you.If he's eating ok,his poo is normal,not fluffed up all the time or sleepy, or sneezing...IDK probably fine but just doesn't feel like chirpin? Or maybe he would like to be around people more? hmmm All I can say is keep talkin to him and playin with stuff.Play some music and sing along

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 12:57 AM

Okay... He has been sneezing just a little bit. I thought all birds do that? Okay. Thanx. Will do. He made a noise sounding like a cough/chirp while he was on my shoulder today. I was prettey happy. Thanks so much for your help.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 01:40 AM

Yeah, they all sneeze sometimes smile Just not ALOT. Is he playing with any toys yet? Hey, does he have any toys with bells?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 01:26 PM

Yes. Hehas a mirror and a bell attacthed to it. And even a toy with a bell at the bottom. The same type oftoy that he was playing with at the store.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 03:45 PM

Hahahahaha I caught him. I came into the room suddenly he moved around. I heard a bell chime and his toy was the only thing moving in his cage was his toy. Which means... He does play with his toys but only when no one is in the room with him. That little rascal.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 03:49 PM

hahaha that's funny! Some others have said the same thing. It's almost like they think they're too cool to be playing with TOYS! LOL
Yep, he's getting there..at least you know he DOES play with his toys. Silly bird smile

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 04:09 PM

Yep... Thanks for all of your help. I have been playing with his toys in his cage for a while now and I think he's getting better.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 04:52 PM

I play with Levi with his toys when he is out of his cage too. Like when he is sitting on my finger or on my shoulder I sometimes dangle a bell toy or something in front of him (not too close) and he will play with it. Probably best if using a familiar toy so he's not scared of it. Just a thought..you might want to try sometime

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 04:56 PM

I will... Geez your Levi looks so cute. I was going to get a blue one but the store didn't have them when we went. My bird is VERY stubborn. He will refuse to come out of his cage and cling on for dear life. I guess I'm getting to know him already. LOL
I'm uploading more pics. soon. MY Chi-Chi has little blue/teal feathers by his little legs. So cute.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 05:11 PM

Thanks smile Funny... I was going to get a green one but the breeder I got him from had 2 white, 2 yellow, and 1 blue. So I chose Levi. Not that the others weren't cute too, they were and it was a tough decision so I picked him cause he was the odd man out so to speak-and because they thought he was probably a male.
He can be very stubborn too. He only does what he wants when he wants LOL and he can go from Mr Sweetheart to Mr Brat Bird in the blink of an eye! It's all good tho.He def has a personality all his own.
Can't wait to see more pics of Chi Chi! I LOVE Chi Chi's coloring. He's soo pretty.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 05:16 PM

There you go. He's so curious.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 05:23 PM

Awwww what a cutie pie! Is he maybe a she by any chance?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 05:28 PM

I'm not currently sure. The lady at the pet store told us that Chi-Chi was a boy. But I'm also beginning to think that. He's sitting on my shoulder right now.
Posted By: Amaggiepie

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 05:29 PM

that cere looks a little crusty to me...

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 05:31 PM

What does that mean? Something bad??
It looks fine and normal to me.
Posted By: TMI_Ash

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 05:48 PM

Crusty ceres are usually indicative of a mature female. Especially if it's a shade of tan or brown.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 05:52 PM

O... Okay thats fine with me. Because Chi-Chi still can be a girl's name. lol Although I was supposed to get a boy but... Is it true that girl budgies can get a little nasty towards people for no reason?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 06:01 PM

Sorry I didn't explain the crusty cere comment...Female budgies can be mean or hard to tame, but they can also be fun and loving. I had 2 female budgies (RIP Ezra and Luna)who were actually my very first birds. Luna was a scardee cat and never tamed, but Ezra learned step up within 2 days of bringing her home. Niether were ever nasty to me. I think that you and Chichi will be just fine. She is a single keet, so that will help her bond with you. also, shes already sitting on your finger, right? So I dont think you have any worries there.

BTW, shes really cute!

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 06:13 PM

Thanks. I just tryed playing with her and she kept trying to BITE me!!!
I couldn't stop flinching.... I tried that thing when you put your finger on their beak until they close it. Didn't work to well. She's in here cage right now. So that's why she hasn't tamed yet. It's not because I suck at taming its just that girls are harder than boys to tame. Okay... She's being very very two-sided right now.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 06:28 PM

Girls aren't really harder to tame than boys...each keet has its own little personality. Really, you can't rush it. It takes a keet a long time to build up trust. imagine how you would feel if a giant stuck his finger in your house and wanted to you get on it? They need time to see you feed and water and change them and to realize that you're not "bad". Some keets never learn to step up, some do instantly, and for others it just takes time. Don't push her too hard. She will learn to love you back in her own time.

As for the biting, i wouldn't recommend the putting your finger on the beak technique. I have tiels, so they have bigger beaks and thus bigger bits (ouch!) What I do when I am taming them is if they bite me, I do not pull away, even though it really hurts. I will say "no" or "no bites" in a firm but not a loud voice. If they keep doing it, I would put them in their cage, sort of like a time out. Even though they like their cage, this teaches them that biting is uacceptable. Also, when my birds sit on my finger, I offer them millet so they will stay longer. Then they learn that good things come from the hand. Eventually, they dont need the millet anymore and they start to enjoy being with you.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/23/09 06:41 PM

Okay... Thanks for the thoughtful response. I will try the millet trick.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/24/09 06:14 PM

Today she is being VERY rebellious. I took her out of her cage and into a different room andshes being VVERY curious. Shes flying everywhere.
She's hiding under things to get into darkness. I think it is because she wants to take her midday nap and she hasn't been getting it lately.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/24/09 07:25 PM

Is this normal????

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/24/09 08:07 PM

Is she flying everywhere because she's curious or because she's not in familiar territory and doesn't know where to go? Has she been in that room before, and if she has, what id she do then?
If you think it's time for her usual nap then by all means let her go back to her cage for a nap smile I know mine usually naps around 2-2:30 pm every day but only for 20 mins or so

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/24/09 08:32 PM

Yeah... Shes napping right now. She must have been looking for a place to nap. Thanks.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/25/09 07:24 AM

I cannot edit it for some reason...
Yes she was familiar with the territory before she just went where I put her down and then she explored her surrondings. So she's doing GREAT thanks for all your help. Today I gave her a kernel of cooked corn and she ate it after an 1 hour that it was in her cage for.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/25/09 02:55 PM

Yay! Was that her first veggie?! It's so great when they FINALLY eat a veggie smile Woohoo! Give her a small dish of corn,see how she likes it.Never give canned vegs-they have too much sodium. Frozen vegs are good, just be sure to check ingredients because sometimes there is salt added.I usually put some frozen corn in a dish with a little water and microwave for a minute. Or you can just let it thaw before ya give it to her.You can also hang a piece of corn on the cob-Levi won't eat it that way yet tho frown
Way to go Chi Chi!! High five!

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/25/09 08:35 PM

She had some lettuce the day before. I just put some celery in there and I'll see if she'll eat that.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/25/09 09:11 PM

So if you know that so far she likes lettuce and corn give it to her every day. The lettuce should be either romaine or green leaf-(regular iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value).
The bigger variety every day the better I think, because dif vegs have dif nutrients.
Did she try the celery? And you might want to try some fresh broccoli-I think it's one of the favorites.
Whatever she likes just keep giving it to her and try to add new ones.Even if she doesn't like something the first couple times you give it to her, just keep trying.
Oh, and grated carrots is usually a good one too smile
Posted By: ___JA

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/26/09 08:46 PM

Yes, grated carrots are a bit hit. They also say the redder/oranger the veggie, the healthier it is.
Posted By: joandboys

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/26/09 09:11 PM

He sounds like he is doing very well. When your not in the room, it is a real good idea to keep music or talk radio on. They like the company and think that if there is noise they are safe.

When I put Sweetie in the busiest part of the house, he really opened up and became much more social.

One thing I did that really helped was to put the cage right on the table when I ate breakfast and lunch. I left the door open and fed him when I ate. I put seed and veggies on the table around my plate. He would start eating when he saw me eat. Finally one day, He just hopped on the edge of the door and came out. When he was ready and felt safe he did it on his own. If you do birdy things with them, they bond quicker, because you are doing the things they recognize as a "flock" thing. Brushing your hair is "Preening". Eating together is a signal for the "flock" to eat. Playing with bells and his toys tells him they won't hurt him.

By the way, I think that shoulder thing is over rated. My guys climb all over me. They ride my shoulder and when I bend down in the kitchen to get something, they walk onto my back and then come back to my shoulder when I straighten up. They fly to my chest and play with my jewelry and play with my earrings and glasses. If you let them alone, they explore you and preen you and you become less frightening.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/26/09 11:34 PM

OMG thanx for your help guys!!!! Right now she's sitting on my shoulder CHIRPING!!!!! WITHOUT A YOUTUBE video... She was being very bad so I put her in her cage and left her alone for 2 hours. Now she's being very good.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/27/09 08:59 PM

Today I came home from school and went into my room where Chi-Chi was and then I shut the door and left. A few seconds later I heard NON STOP chirping noises. Turns out she was just hungry. lol

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/27/09 09:30 PM

Hungry or happy to see you? I know Levi chirps like crazy when I get back from being gone somewhere. Especially if I don't go over and say hi as soon as come in the door LOL
Make sure you leave her plenty to eat before you go to school in the morning.They should have food at all times,never let her run out smile
Sounds like you and Chi are making great progress huh? Sittin on shoulder, back to chirping. And eating veggies! YAY!!!!
Way to go Chi Chi!!!

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/28/09 10:59 PM

Today she is sitting on my shoulder right now. She's not being very active. I try playing with her toys everyday and nothing. She's a perch potato still who loves to sleep. She chirped to when I was singing her Whatever You Like by T.I. today. It was cute.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/31/09 12:31 AM

She has been being vedry distant with everyone lately... she's flying around like her wings aren't clipped. She's being VERY difficult. she'll chirp when she feels alone...

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 03/01/09 03:27 AM

I haven't been on in a while since Chi-Chi has been the same... She adores sitting on my shoulder now but she still is a perch potato... I brought her to my mother's friend's house and he has a conure... She was hopping about and playing there and chirping like a maniac... I brought her home and the next day she was back to normal. She chirps to music now... Especially when I watch youtube music vids. She hasn't bitten me in the past 3 days... Quite an acccomplishment... Anything else you guys would recommend?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 03/01/09 03:44 AM

Hey Zork, it has been a while. Good to hear everything is going good. Nope nothing I can recommend...sounds like you're doin fine! smile

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 03/01/09 03:54 AM

Thanx!:)
I think she isn't taking on the proper mannerisms of a parakeet... She just sits there and does nothing... She'll stare and sometimes just chirp NONSTOP for no reason. She loves to chirp when I'm playing my Gears of War 2 video game... I thinbk its because the game is getting more attention than her. She's been sneezing for a WHILE... But I figure if she hasn't shown any other signs of worse health the sneezing is just her(She was being active like a normal parakeet in another location so that can't be it). She loves to stretch... It's SO cute... She sometimes mimics the sound of the door opening when I'm sleeping and she scared me with it... It's funny... She HATES my mom intensely... its hilarious...
A few days ago she FLEW OUT OF HER CAGE!!!! :lol and she was sitting on the floor like "Well... Aren't you gunna pick me up..." She is a character... I usually take her out of her cage and then kind of "trap" her in my arms and snuggle with her but not TOO tightly... She doesnt' mind it because she is warm and she never tries to wiggle out.... She loves sitting on my glasses... I'll just be walking around the house with Cheech on my face and my dad will just be like " Huh"... It's funny to watch...

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 03/01/09 07:37 PM

Wow... Today she is being a little chatterbox... chirping away... she is mimicing sounds and being as cute as ever. I'll post a vid. soon.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/03/09 07:13 PM

Well, I'm back a couple months later to update you all. She now chirps like crazy. She is still a perch potato, but often, she hangs out at the edge of the cage and sometimes I find her out of her cage sometimes. She still only eats millet though and I am trying Lisa's tips http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/recipes/onlyseed.html ans I just started her on that today. Now however, I have a new problem. She seems to lash out and bite anything that comes into the cage anywhere close to her. I think it is her being territorial that is causing this dilemma. I am starting her off with celery though because I don't have lettuce. She isn't being very affectionate but whenever I take her out of the cage she never bites me as long as she's on my finger and not standing in the same spot for too long.
In my attempts to take her out of the cage, I have to use a shirt to cover my hands so she won't bite me. I accidentily snapped her highest, most favorite perch. With a shirt. So I just ordered a new one off of Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061UUUS/ref=ox_ya_oh_product
She will be very happy with that since she eats all grit and things.
I currently have taped the perch together with no sticky parts open for her to get stuck to or get sick on.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/03/09 09:19 PM

Glad to hear she's perching on your finger outside of the cage, but I think you might want to try some basic step-up training IN the cage, to get her to step up in there, then be transported out of the cage.

Is there any way you can grit your teeth and just ignore the biting? The shirt is probably confusing and frightening her.

Speaking of grit, you should NOT feed her grit, in my opinion. Some types of birds need it but budgies/keets do not, and it can cause digestive problems for them.

Also, a diet of only millet will result in a fat and unhealthy keet. You mentioned celery; you might also want to try organic broccoli, spinach, kale, corn... Could you introduce her slowly to a pelleted budgie food, along with her seeds?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/03/09 09:27 PM

The food I give her has millet seed in it along with vegetable pellets and stuff. But the only thing she'll eat is the millet seeds. Everything else is left untouched. I have no clue what to do. And I'll try the thing you mentioned about the shirt.
Posted By: tweetymom

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/03/09 11:38 PM

Hello Zork. I have been told and read that parakeets do not need grit. And also it's very bad for them. It can get caught in the crop and more reasons than I can think of right now. So I stopped giving it to my birds.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/04/09 01:50 AM

Hey Zork! It's good to see you back smile
Like PRmom and tweetymom said. No more grit! It's very bad for her. You really have to try to get her on a healthier diet. What kind of seed mix do you give her? Have you tried any pellets at all?
Celery is ok, but really has no nutritional value, the best part of the celery for them is the leafy part. I think alot of keets like celery so maybe of she tries it it will get her interested in trying other things. Wedge a piece of fresh broccoli between the cage bars near a perch she likes or clip a piece of romaine lettuce or fresh spinach to the side of cage with a clothespin or something. Wash veggies really well before feeding especially if they're not organic. You can also try frozen veggies-either just let thaw or microwave a few mins.Check ingredients to make sure NO salt added.My guys love peas,corn and sugar snap peas.

Like PRmom said try not to react to her biting.If you pull away when she bites, it's just showing her that if she bites you, you will leave her alone. So try to grin and bear it, and when she stops the biting reward her.
If she seems to be more bitey than usual lately, by any chance is she molting? They get very cranky when they molt because it's painful and itchy.
Anyway, good to see you back. And stay in touch huh?
Got new pics?? LOL
Posted By: baby blue

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/04/09 02:17 AM

glad all is well!!! i have 2 5yr old keets who touched nothing but seed and only some of the mix. about 3 wks ago, i finally found something that was a live green they would eat. here at my house it's cheap too cause it grows thicker than grass on one side of my house... chickweed! every 3 days i go out an get a big bowl of it, wash and clean it and keep it in wet p towel in the fridge. they will eat as much as i would bring them so they get in the morning and before bed. smile

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/04/09 02:18 AM

jst thought of something, cheech... weed ... roflmbo!!!!

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/04/09 07:58 AM

Originally Posted By: baby blue
jst thought of something, cheech... weed ... roflmbo!!!!
Naughty, naughty girl! Besides, Chong was the cute one...

Anyway: "Ditto" to kksuns' idea about using a clothespin to clip a small piece of veggie into the cage.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/04/09 05:31 PM

i am a very naughty girl!!! i remember very well, chong getting cheech to eatthe contents of the "wrong pocket" (while waiting for the cop to get to the door of the vehicle)... and after a bit cheech's toque falls down over his eyes and him shrieking "i'm blind!!!!!" wow, that sure brings back memories! LOL! my daughter could never figure out how come i killed myself laughing at tommy chong in "that 70's show". finally, i went and rented "nice dreams" and watched it with her, she figured it out pretty quick. she asks" i wonder if he is like that in real life? LOL" (she was 20 yrs old at the time... i wasn't contributing to the delinquency of minors!!!)

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/04/09 05:45 PM

about the clothes pin... is it ok for them to turn them into worthless, messy piles of sawdust?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/04/09 10:01 PM

LOL. She's one of the craziest birds ever. I no longer use the shirt but use my hands to take her out of her cage. She is starting to realize that biting doesnt affect me and it's been slowing down drastically since yesterday. Right now she just ran OUT OF THE ROOM I was in. And ran back into the room with her cage in it. It's too bad she can't get up there though :p. I'll make sure to wash the vegetable more if it's that important. Currently, all we have is carrots and celery. Each one of the days I did the thing with celery she bite it twice but did not continue. I'll try with carrots then. I'll try to get her some lettuce soon. Hope it works and wish me luck!

I also have a few new pics so ill upload them as soon as I get the time :p

Also, with Chi-Chi's eyes. For some reason. IDK if she's tired or not but for some reason, she close one eye and shut it for a prolonged time and the other eye stayed wide open. I have no clue if it's a problem or not but whatever.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/04/09 11:44 PM

Yeah, it's very important to wash the veggies good. They like the carrots grated or chopped up really really small. Do you have any frozen peas or corn in your freezer? If you do, check and make sure there is NO SALT added, let some thaw or just put some in hot water for a bit to thaw faster and put some on a plate or in a treat cup and see if she likes them. If she doesn't like something at first you still have to keep offering every day until SOMEDAY she will decide to try em out.

IDK about the eye thing. Do you mean she closes the same eye all the time? Or you were looking at her and just happened to notice it once?
I know that sometimes when I go up to talk to Ziggy (he's still pretty shy) sometimes he will close the eye closest to me. Like he can't see me LOL Or maybe he's pretending he's sleeping.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/05/09 12:02 AM

Yeah I think she's pretending she's sleeping then. I'll try out the thing with the peas and corn. I'll make sure there is no salt in it. How does the bird know it's food though? Aren't you supposed to eat it to show them that it's yummy and good?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/05/09 12:05 AM

Yup you sure can show them. And it helps too I think. mmm this is soo good! Want some? mmmmmm
And you can also sprinkle a little seed on top.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/05/09 12:10 AM

I only have one bag of food for her and its mixed, so it'd be pretty hard to separate those from each other. I need to get more varied bird food desperately.
I also posted new pictures in the Budgie Gallery.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/05/09 12:27 AM

It's ok if it's mixed. You can still sprinkle a little on top of the veggies, and maybe let her see you do it so she gets curious and wants to check it out and eat the seed. You could also use just a little bit of millet.
Pics?? Cool! I'll have to check them out later. I have to go get Levi & Zig ready for bed.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/05/09 01:50 AM

keep trying! speaking if veggies, i'd better go and give the brat pak their bedtime chickweed and get them settling down!
Posted By: littlekaty

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/05/09 11:10 PM

I finally weaned my birds completely off seeds a few weeks ago and onto pellets. I'm trying now to incorporate fresh food in. Two of my birds came from a neglectful owner who had only fed them millet and one of the birds was quite chubby although her weight is fine now.

I had three dishes in their cage and I put pellets in one dish and seed in the other two and once they began eating pellets I bumped it up to two pellet dishes and one of seeds until it was three bowls of pellets which they now greedily eat.

Right now they have two dishes of pellets and one dish of cream of tweet that I put in this morning. It smells really yummy to me so I am hoping they will try it. I really want to broaden their diet.

Keep trying. It can be done but it takes time and patience. It took two months before my birds even tried the pellets but now six months later that's all they want.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 09/06/09 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: littlekaty
I finally weaned my birds completely off seeds a few weeks ago and onto pellets. I'm trying now to incorporate fresh food in. ... Keep trying. It can be done but it takes time and patience. It took two months before my birds even tried the pellets but now six months later that's all they want.
Congrats -- wonderful!

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/01/10 06:13 AM

She STILL won't go on my finger... She's not flying around the cage to get away but rather using aggression. Every time I violate "her personal space" she makes a noise like a chipmunk and gets ready to attack me...I tried the perch thing but she just bites the perch because she sees my hand with it...I feed her millet and she has no problem with that..

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 05/28/10 06:16 PM

A few months later...
Chi-Chi is being much more personable. Her only problem is that she still won't come out of her cage easily. The biting has stopped but she still will run around her cage and try to escape. Once she is out of the cage, she sticks to me closely and she is very affectionate and playful. I don't know if it's because she has been molting or not, but Chi-Chi has been starting the biting. She was doing this a while ago but when I took her mirror out, she was being normal again. Now she is being rambunctious again. I'm putting her on the floor so that she realizes that she needs me and hopefully she'll be good again. Her wings are not clipped and she was personable when her wings were not clipped 2 weeks ago... so..

She hangs out on the outside of her cage and chirps and sits there and just chills every once in a while and she'll fly around my room when her cage is open. I once called her from my bed and stuck out my finger for her to fly to and land on. She went around in a circle twice but missed my hand both times... Cute bird. She gets scared by EVERYTHING. She jumps and/or flies away when hearing the slightest noise. Even when it comes from me. Sudden movements as well scare her.

EDIT: to explain the biting. She has a ton of pinfeathers on her head. So she is molting. Makes sense. The only problem is, she was molting like two weeks ago. Do birds molt often?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 05/28/10 07:18 PM

Welll Hey ZorkZork! LOL your "a few months later" Good to see you and good to hear update on Chi-Chi.
The molting could explain why she is in a bitey mood. They sure get cranky while molting. It's very uncomfortable for them. Get her some molting supplement, it helps. And also offer warmish bathes every day, it will help soften those annoying pin feathers and help with the itchiness. That is if she likes bathes?? Either way at least offer it to her, she might suddenly take the plunge LOL Or misting if she doesn't mind it or nice wet lettuce to rub/roll on?
I don't understand what you mean by putting her on the floor so she realizes she needs you?? huh?
How often and for how long does she get out of cage time?
I think the more she gets out the friendlier and personable she will be.And also the less skittish. And if you continue to call her to come to you when you're on your bed, and reward her when she does it, either just by verbal praise- Good girl ya did it!-or with a treat of some sort, she will learn to come when called.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 05/28/10 07:28 PM

Like, she needs me to bring her around etc... Whatever... She has taken 1 bath that I have knowledge of and she sure enjoyed that, but I'm pretty sure that she probably won't take another one if I just presented the water to her. She doesn't like the birdbath I got her and she takes baths in her water dish.... I'll give that a try though.

She gets out of her cage a few times each day. At least for like 45 minutes each day on a minimal day. She definitely enjoys the time out.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 05/28/10 08:44 PM

"Like, she needs me to bring her around etc..."
Awww she looves you! She likes being with you. That's sweet smile

If she enjoyed the one bath(and she like to bathe in her water dish crazy) , then odds are she will enjoy more. What kind/size birdbath is it? It sometimes takes trying a few different types of bowls/dishes etc before they decide on one they really like. Mine like a plain ole plastic sandwich container WITH a piece of lettuce in it. If she like lettuce or parsley or whatever try putting a piece in her bath. Splash around with your fingers and pretend it is sooo nice. LOL Maybe even flick a little water from your fingers on her..that's how I FINALLY got Ziggy interested.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 06/12/10 10:06 PM

She's getting more and more confident of her surroundings everyday. She has her "hang out spots" to fly off too when I take her into different rooms. Her beak has been sharp lately and she been chewing on wood to trim it down. She absolutely loves wicker wood. It seems as if she needs me less and less because she is getting braver and braver. She still resists coming out of her cage but she has fun when she comes out. I hope that results in her realizing how much fun she has when she is out of her cage. She's very indifferent to me. She'll be with me for a little bit, then she'll just fly off.

EDIT: EVERYTIME I give her a fresh cup of water, she'll jump right into it and go for a nice swim. It's so hard to get her fresh water like that. She soaked right now. I don't wanna make her air dry but then I don't wanna push her to come out and force her to dry. The water I used is a little too cold.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 06/14/10 06:11 PM

OMG what a drastic change since the other day. Now, when I leave her alone and the doors open in my house, she will FLY TO ME no matter where I am in the house. She is being a good bird finally! Everytime I open her cage, she comes out to play. She just flew into the computer room with me and now she flew on top of my head and she is just sitting there. She is adorable!!!
Posted By: illusive Fantasy

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 06/14/10 06:29 PM

Wellllllllll sounds like you got your little velcro bird..isnt it wonderful when its of their own free will they come and enjoy being with you...was nice not to rush her because now you have a bird that wants and enjoys sharing your time with you...soooooo wonderful..and to have a female so interactive in your activities is a special bonus...sounds like she has definetly bonded with you...she just had to be sure it was the right thing to do..

Interact with her playing with her toys too while she is out..so she likes to try to and knows she is safe doing that even if she isnt sitting with you.

Its a wonderful day when they finally come around...

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 06/18/10 03:42 AM

She has now transformed into a totally different bird. She is adorable, she is still deciding whether or not to come on my finger from her cage but she is putting a foot on and then taking it off... I have a little bit of trouble remembering that I have an inquisitive bird now who loves to fly around outside of her cage. I forget to close it often when I leave the house and she gets out because I usually left her cage open. Today I came home and she wasn't in her cage. Where was she? On top of a cereal box in the kitchen. Lmao... She gives me kisses on the nose and plays with my hair. She's is becoming better and better each day, thank you so much for your help people!

So it turns out what people have told me is true. Some birds take more time to tame while others take none. It took a year and a half, but she is finally tame laugh Now I'm going to try and help everyone else on here with what I have learned from you all.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 08/05/10 04:23 AM

Chi-Chi will not SHUT UP!!! She woke me up this morning at an unusual time and she would not stop screeching and chirping. I even tried to cover her but she just kept screaming. She kept screaming for 30 minutes straight. I have been home a lotmore recently so she may not recall that I am sometimes not home. She really doesn't have a regular schedule. I cover her around 9:30pm and then uncover her around 12pm. Perhaps she just wants to be uncovered, I really don't know. Even when I had her uncovered she would not shut up. I give her fresh food every day and fresh water. So that is not the problem. What is going on with my bird? Whenever I leave the room she chirps and waits for a "Whistle/chirp" to come back from me.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 08/05/10 05:53 AM

by the sound of it you dont have her covered at nite as you say...

She woke me up this morning at an unusual time and she would not stop screeching and chirping. I even tried to cover her but she just kept screaming.

Implying that she was NOT covered to begin with...cover at night..get her onto a regular schedule...they need it ...they are just like outdoor birds with a schedule they should be having...

But THEN you say you DO cover at 9:30pm so which is it...if your doing that but not uncovering till noon what do you expect that 15HOURS of being covered. THATS too much...get on a schedule.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 08/06/10 10:27 PM

No..you misunderstand. I cover her at 9:30pm... I then uncover her as I wake up. I then covered her again after she kept on screaming. I would never leave her cage uncovered all night, it would keep her up. Okay good point. I will uncover her before 11am from now on.

What should I do when I am away for the night and day? Should I just leave her uncovered period or let her be covered for all of that time?

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 08/06/10 11:44 PM

oh my gosh you being away does pose a problem huh...hmmm how would i handle that as thats something i need to consider here also in the future for a couple months and what i came up with for me is...i always have a low lite on so that will stay on for one thing...then i figured what id do is also keep a radio on low...so it wouldnt be such a dead silence...and i figured id cover the cage side to the light to dim the affect and HALF the cage so when he wakes up he can see out...not feel confined but thats the best so far that ive thought up on my end here...cause like i said im going to have to do that once in awhile for a couple of months very soon myself...and im leaving a fan on also in case it warms up somewhat but not so it blows directly onto the cage but its a occilating fan so it circulates the entire room
Posted By: cyberbud

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 08/07/10 03:57 AM

When we are away I use a timer for both the light and music. I set both so they go on just after sun up and off at dusk.

Just another way to go.

Kathy

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 08/07/10 05:49 AM

not a bad idea...im not worried about leaving the light on but yah thats a good idea ive forgotten all about for the radio for sure.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/04/11 02:59 AM

So, update! My Chi-Chi has been fine and sweet to me. We did have a mite scare but that was taken care off. Now, Chi-Chi seems to have some sort of orange spot on her head that wasn't there before. It's a very strange sight and I can't seem to find anything on it online anywhere. It's very strange and I was hoping someone here knew what it could be.
Posted By: Toony

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/04/11 03:11 AM

a scar? budgies arent normally orange.. ooh i have this wonderfull idea!!! MAYBE you bought seeds that were too fresh and the dye was still sticky, he dropped the seeds in his water, and when he drank his water he got orange!

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/04/11 03:12 AM

Hey Zork, Where ya been??
Good to hear Chi-Chi has been well and being a sweety.
Orange spot on her head? Only thing i can think of is maybe the orange came from one of her toys..maybe it got wet during a bath or something and color rubbed off on her? We have a colored wooden dowel type swing that color rubs off from now and then. Or how about carrots? Carrots can stain sometimes too.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/04/11 04:42 AM

I have a purple grape cuttlestone that she seems to enjoy. Perhaps that is causing the change in her feather color? It looks really cool, but I just hope it's not hurting her or anything. She just took a bath today but it still remained.
Posted By: JeanneM

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/04/11 05:32 AM

Chippy will rub his head on the wheel of his plastic penguin. If that had been made with an orange dye like Kksuns was saying, he would certainly have an orange spot on his head every day. A bath would not necessarily reach that area.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/05/11 11:18 PM

Now she has a slight orange tint on the end of her tail feather. I'm beginning to suspect that it is simply just her coloration. It looks really cool and I'm really liking it! I'll upload a picture if she ever stops moving. :P

My other small issue, now she enjoys playing in my hood when I am wearing a hoodie. Some times however, she plays a bit too rough and will accidentally bite me. HARD. She seems to have lost her senses as to what is a toy and what is a human. It's not a big issue, but it's big enough to get me annoyed. I don't yell at her ever or jerk my hand away because I know what it will do. She just plays a little rougher than before. She's still a sweetie though :P

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. - 01/06/11 12:41 AM

when she plays rough ...distract her attention to something else...IMMEDIATELY...and say OUCH loud...if she continues to be a best and goes back to doing it...remove yourself ...from the situation...or return her to her cage for a bit.
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum