Lisa Shea

Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!!

Posted By: Tanaka

Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/07/08 04:42 PM

[size:11pt][b]For all the old hands here, this has probably come up a million times. . . :crazy: BUT: [color:#990000]Could you help me with finding a good cuttlebone holder? :) [/color]Those metal thingamajigs that come with the cuttlebone seem too sharp (and the actual type of metal itself seems questionable to me :o ) to use. If you have pictures or can direct me (internet) to holders you feel are [color:#990000][u]SAFE[/u][/color] to hold the cuttlebone, I would love to check them out! :grin: Awhile ago I tried to make a holder, but it really only worked “great” until Popo Chan decided to actually eat some cuttlebone. . . Then it failed miserably!!! :eek: (I know I saw something here about this over the summer, I just was unsuccessful finding it again!!!) ;) Thank You!!!!![/b][/size] :D
Posted By: Jasper's mom

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/07/08 04:52 PM

I know someone with one of these:

http://www.petdiscounters.com/c57/Cuttlebone-Millet-Spray-Holders-p1014.html

and this is the one I have:

http://www.petdiscounters.com/c3/Insight-Cuttlebone-Holder-p5597.html

You can use it with or without the perch attachment. I like it because it does help with the mess if you have a bird that uses it alot (or multiple birds)

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/07/08 04:57 PM

here's a picture of it too:

Posted By: Faith says hi

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/07/08 05:02 PM

Yep, those are the two best cuttlebone holders I know of, too.

I wanted the one Jasper's mom has, but ended up with the other one she linked to, because that's what my local specialty bird shop carries, and I didn't want to wait for shipping. (I actually have the larger size, because it's easier to shove the cuttlebone in there without snapping the cuttlebone in half.)
Posted By: Stephen

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/07/08 05:28 PM

Yeah, I also have that second cuttlebone holder that Jasper's mom posted. It's really useful because it catches all of the cuttlebone dust that your parakeet's make when they chew on it. As you can see in the picture, there is a little catcher below the cuttlebone and it catches the dust, which your parakeets can then eat which is really good because almost nothing goes to waste! It also just holds the cuttlebone very securely.

And I agree with you, Tanaka. I always hated those metal things.

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/08/08 03:58 PM

[size:11pt][b]That second one looks great! :grin: Thanks Jasper’s Mom! :) I know what is going on my wish-list for Christmas this year! :blush: And thank you for the photo of it “in action”! You were a big help.[/b][/size] :) [size:14pt][b]Stephen Said:[/b][/size] [quote] And I agree with you, Tanaka. I always hated those metal things.[/quote] [size:11pt][b]Yeah, the one that came with the cuttlebone I bought had little brown spots of rust on it! :eek: I saw that and knew there was no way I was going to put it in my bird’s cages. :o That & the sharp edges made up my mind to find another way to mount their cuttlebone! I just didn't know how!!!!!![/b][/size] :crazy:
Posted By: Amaggiepie

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/08/08 04:01 PM

I have the same cutlebone holder for my tiel as well. Yeah, the metal things dont work so good, and can be sharp. I love this holder because it holds it on very securely, even though my tiel climbs all over it. And its brightly colored!

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/08/08 04:10 PM

[size:11pt][b]And the “catcher” looks like a nice feature. . . Got to get me one! (Actually two, one for each bird!)[/b][/size] :D
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/08/08 10:14 PM

Interesting -- glad you started this topic, Tanaka! I will keep an eye out for a "thingamajig" with a catcher -- seems like a great idea. The metal thing Pudgie has currently for her cuttlebone is holding up well and is not too sharp, but it's a pain in the neck when I scrub the cage.
Posted By: Stephen

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/08/08 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Tanaka
Yeah, the one that came with the cuttlebone I bought had little brown spots of rust on it! eek I saw that and knew there was no way I was going to put it in my bird’s cages. shocked crazy

I know! I buy the 6-pack of cuttlebones from PetSmart and three of the uttlebnes come with 'free' metal clips. When I take these clips out to throw them away, they nearly always have rust on them!
Posted By: Wazzup

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/09/08 01:57 AM

i once read that you can use those annoying little things... one sec let me look up the name... a zip tie, and when the parakeet eats at the cuttlebone you can tighten it... hers the page http://www.budgieplace.com/diy_cuttleclip.html is there any way to coax a parakeet into using a cuttlebone because boo won't touch his...
Posted By: cyberbud

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 12/09/08 02:44 AM

I was told at the bird store where I bought Emily that they will use them when they feel need to...its and instinct. They need to have them available. Emily will go for weeks without using it then all of a sudden its her fav...........

Kathy

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 01/06/09 01:20 PM

[size:11pt][b] :D Happy New Year everyone! :D I disappeared for a few weeks for my holiday travels, but I’m back! :) Santa was good to me this year & brought me my first digital camera! :) Yea! :) No more chasing my birds around with my laptop computer :blush: (to take pictures with the webcam!). I’m looking forward to sharing some “quality” pictures of my babies with everyone (Be forewarned ;) !!!). Santa was also good to Dango Chan & Popo Chan, too! :D They both got their own cuttlebone holder! :grin: [/b] [/size] [size:14pt][b]DANGO CHAN with his:[/b][/size] [img]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/P1050371.jpg[/img] [size:14pt][b]POPO CHAN with hers:[/b][/size] [img]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/P1050370.jpg[/img] [size:11pt][b]Thank you for your help! :D What a great bunch of people we’ve got on this site (everyone give yourself a nice pat on the back!). ;) The holders are so easy to use & from the first day, both of my birds went straight to the cuttlebone! :) Yea, success! Thank you, again![/b][/size] :grin:

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 01/06/09 01:28 PM

WooHoo! Congrats on your camera, and I am looking forward to LOTS of pics smile
Posted By: kksuns

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 01/06/09 02:55 PM

Yay!! LOTS of pics! Don't ya just love Santa? Whata guy!
I was wondering where you had disappeared to. Welcome back and Happy New Year to you too. smile
Posted By: CMB

Re: Cuttlebone Thingamajig!!! - 01/06/09 03:41 PM

Looking forward to lots of pictures, that cuttlebone holder looks great! I'm going to have to get one of them for sure! smile
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum