Lisa Shea

getting a cat

Posted By: blue budgie

getting a cat - 11/30/07 10:43 PM

hi i am getting a kitten soon and wondering if the cat would like fight the bird or would it be ok can anyone ho has had experienced a cat a bird plz tell me i need help confused
Posted By: WhitePegasus

Re: getting a cat - 11/30/07 11:38 PM

don't let the birds outside the cage when the cat is in the room. i have a cat and two birds, i just made sure the cage is sturdy enough that he can't tip it over and the birds are never out of the cage with the cat in the room.
Posted By: The_Zookeeper

Re: getting a cat - 11/30/07 11:51 PM

it's just best to not let them get aquainted... kittens are expecially curious and like to pounce on ANYTHING that moves. just be cautious. =]
Posted By: Missy_Welden

Re: getting a cat - 12/02/07 10:48 AM

Be VERY careful. My father-in-law told me about his old budgie. The cat never pounced or even tried for YEARS. He'd just look at the bird doing his thing. Then one day out of nowhere the cat pounced and killed the bird instantly. So never let your birds out.

If you want to get them to know each other just do it ALWAYS with the birds in the cage (mostly in hopes to prevent a curious cat harassing the birds at night).

I have no screens on my windows and when it was still hot I had my birds in their cage by the window with their door pointed towards me. They enjoyed themselves until a cat pawed curiously at the cage. Poor birds were scared to death. I yelled at the poor cat who was only being curious...poor birds and kitty. Though that same cat later wandered into our house and started acting like he owned the place smile
Posted By: lamonsas

Re: getting a cat - 12/02/07 05:43 PM

i have a question, why would u want a cat? just crious. get a dog instead, so much more loving and better pet to have, u can also train it, what u do with a cat? lol, its quiete funny indeed. and the dog wont eat ur bird, come on, cat? what for ??
Posted By: Lishious

Re: getting a cat - 12/02/07 07:45 PM

some people like cats lamonsas thats all, some poeple are dog people some are bird people some are cat people its all the same there loving animals

Re: getting a cat - 12/02/07 07:48 PM

lol yea but not if one pet eats the other as in this case, cat eat keet, dont say it wont eat the keet lol cuz the keet would eat the keet any time if it only could, so i dont see a point of having the 2 together.. but yea my point was that cats are useless in my opinion but yea some ppl love cats, even my worker has cats and i dis him all the time lol and he finally admited his cats really dont do anything ..
Posted By: Skish

Re: getting a cat - 12/02/07 08:05 PM

"i have a question, why would u want a cat? just crious. get a dog instead, so much more loving and better pet to have, u can also train it, what u do with a cat? lol, its quiete funny indeed. and the dog wont eat ur bird, come on, cat? what for ??"

Um, some people like cats..
Personally,I don't like dogs, I love cats. So what if you can't make them do "tricks" it's not like they sit there doing nothing, they can be very affectionate and be good company, IMO.

Re: getting a cat - 12/02/07 08:33 PM

"it's not like they sit there doing nothing"

are u sure about that ? LOL i mean i was gonna say exactly that earlier but didnt, my dad's friend has a cat, its a not too old cat but it just SITS there in its little woodden thing ALL DAY LOL, when i go visit him i just see the cat in there sitting as usuall, only thing it would do is go to eat or drink there but thats it, what a waste lol, i even asked him , dude why is the cat doin nothing and he goes like what do u want him to do , its a cat. and i said yea ur right LOL, dogs own cats in every aspect. but yea like lions too and type of big cats but cats in the house would be useless to me, and yea they do just sit there all day or maybe sit with you but they dont anything els.e
Posted By: Buttons

Re: getting a cat - 12/02/07 09:38 PM

If you don't train the cat to do "tricks" it wont do tricks obviously. Same thing goes for dogs.

Getting back the the original question now.. Its fine to have cat(s) and bird(s) as long as they don't meet each other.. in most cases the cat would attack it but thats instinct. My cat isnt allowed to come upstairs (for other reasons then my birds) and shes been quite good about that, but now that I do have birds shes been sneaking up every so often. Whenever I'm going to let my birds out I close the basement door because of the slight chance of her coming up. So like I've said (and the others) when you do get your new kitty be very cautious about your birds and it. Good luck to you and your new baby =].
Posted By: I ♥ Keets

Re: getting a cat - 12/02/07 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: missywelden
Be VERY careful. My father-in-law told me about his old budgie. The cat never pounced or even tried for YEARS. He'd just look at the bird doing his thing. Then one day out of nowhere the cat pounced and killed the bird instantly. So never let your birds out.

If you want to get them to know each other just do it ALWAYS with the birds in the cage (mostly in hopes to prevent a curious cat harassing the birds at night).

I have no screens on my windows and when it was still hot I had my birds in their cage by the window with their door pointed towards me. They enjoyed themselves until a cat pawed curiously at the cage. Poor birds were scared to death. I yelled at the poor cat who was only being curious...poor birds and kitty. Though that same cat later wandered into our house and started acting like he owned the place smile

probably the bird flew to the cat's territory =\

Re: getting a cat - 12/02/07 09:47 PM

buttons ur boxer looks so cute, man !! how do u like having a boxer?
Posted By: pretty bird

Re: getting a cat - 12/03/07 02:15 AM

We have 2 cats but we also have a bird room that we put a screen door on so the birds can fly free and the cats can't get in. I know not everyone has the luxury of having a bird room so if you do get a cat and have the birds just make sure to either shut the cat in a seperate room when the bird is out or only allow the bird freedom in one room with the door shut so that the cat does not have access. All it takes is one bite and your bird will be gone. Cat siliva can kill your bird as well as the bite.
Posted By: Cetan

Re: getting a cat - 12/03/07 06:13 AM

And dogs can kill keets just as easily as cats. Recently 6BudgiesNuts lost a keet to a dog and I thing OC Mommy also

Re: getting a cat - 12/03/07 06:33 AM

but i thing that cats have a natural instinct to eat birds, i could be wrong.
Posted By: big bad momma

Re: getting a cat - 12/03/07 06:48 AM

I love cats,I use to have different breeds of cats.my advice is never to leave a cat in the same room with your bird.you never know.people have told me their cat manged to get to their bids even when he cage was place high up over 6 feet.better to be careful then sorry.
Posted By: Four Keets

Re: getting a cat - 12/03/07 05:20 PM

Dogs have the same instincts to go after birds. When I was younger, my dog went after my cockatiel. We of course were watching the dog very closely and she never got close enough, but she sure wanted to go after the bird. She was an Irish Setter (a hunting dog).
Posted By: Lishious

Re: getting a cat - 12/03/07 05:24 PM

my gramas dog a cocker spaniel will eat my bird in seconds how ever my dog a york terrior will play with my bird, they just follw eachother its quite funny if the dog decides to wlak away the bird wil hop bhind him and vice versa,
Posted By: Missy_Welden

Re: getting a cat - 12/04/07 08:02 AM

Oh yeah, dogs go after birds for sure. It was so sad because my parents small toy dog would go after birds all the time. But whenever it saw a small baby bird fall out of a tree (or trying to fly) it would go after it. It may have just been playing but they have teeth and claws too. My poor dad had to clean up so many birds in our yard frown

Even more off topic, I like cats because they aren't as needy and clingy as a dog. They like to cuddle every once and a while. They'll be affectionate, but not all the time. Kind of like birds only birds don't constantly have a snarky attitude about them laugh
Posted By: Amethyst

Re: getting a cat - 12/04/07 09:07 PM

ya. my keets cage is on a shelf, and when hes lose the dog is outside. be careful.

Re: getting a cat - 12/04/07 09:19 PM

yaeh, as you guys can probably tell, I have many animals which fall in various places down the food chain. I have no doubt that my cats would attack the birds or the geckos or even the fish if they had a chance. Having multiple pets is ALL ABOUT RESPONSIBILITY. you know that you are taking a risk, but you do everything in your power to prevent such a tragedy, it just comes with the package.

Honestly, my birds arent very accesible to the cats, so I dont worry, but any interactions between them are extremely well supervised. Yeah, I'll let tigger take a peak in the cage once in awhile, she's curious, and I let her be. Now, i thought tigger would have a problem with Peace, but do you see a problem?

I keep my animals safe, just as all the other multi-pet-owning members do, and as I am sure "blue budgie" will do. that's all there is to it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: getting a cat - 12/04/07 09:29 PM

aaww peace is like the bravest rat ever lol ... so sweet ... be careful i might come ratnap her in ur sleep lol
Posted By: Kelsey

Re: getting a cat - 12/04/07 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: lamonsas
i have a question, why would u want a cat? just crious. get a dog instead, so much more loving and better pet to have, u can also train it, what u do with a cat? lol, its quiete funny indeed. and the dog wont eat ur bird, come on, cat? what for ??

Don't say that, I love kitties. They are warm and curious and fuzzy.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 01:53 AM

I like cats. I like dogs. I dont have room for the dog I would prefer (a rottweiler) and I dont like small dogs, so i have kitties.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 01:55 AM

u dont like chiuauas zoo?? or a boston terrier? they aint too big lol nor too small..(the boston terrier not the chiuaua)

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:02 AM

no, I dont prefer small dogs. It's not that I hate them, they just arent what i'm looking for in a dog.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:08 AM

u see u want a rotw. so im guessing u want a guard dog lol, theres nothing a "BIG" dog has that a boston terrier doesnt. really, not that i can think of, they are super inteligent aswell. the boston terriers that is.. chiuauas are very smart too they just arent the typical dog so they arent for everyone but i perosnaly if i could would buy a boston terrier or a french bulldog, omg they are so cute.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:20 AM

it is extremely offensive to me for you to insinuate that the only thing a rottweiler is good for is a guard dog. I had a rottweiler growing up and he was the nicest dog ever. I don't want just any dog, I want a member of the family, which a rotweiler is to me. rottweilers are over stereotypes becuase they are so big and becuase there are so many people out there that dont train them correctly and they end up hurting someone.

again, that was inapropriate and I don't appreciate it.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:31 AM

lol and u called me an easily offended person, maybe u should have said u had one before and then i would have asked a different question, i personally saw a rotwiler bite a kid's leg when i was 13 yrs old, belive it, it was very sad, they are indeed great dogs, guard or not but if i would get a dog id get a boston terrier, and read carefully what i said above i said evrything about myself, i didnt say u should buy this and that, so whats the deal? why are u being so rude? i aint say nothing bad so everyone sees this now for refrence on whos rude and whos not...
Posted By: animalfriend

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:40 AM

Awww now lamonsas you had to go and dis cats. Cats are better and here is why:
1. They are independent
2. They poop in a box and don't have to go outside
3. They have more personality than just slobbering and jumping all over you.
4. They can jump on to high places
5. They have an awesome "screw you" attitude
6. Domestic cats can hunt and survive in the wild. Dogs have a much harder time
7. They are extremely intelligent (not that dogs aren't)
8. They aren't as loud as dogs! (I've been listening to my neighbor's dog bark all day)
9. They are just plain better (lol, I just threw that in at the end)

I'm sure there's more, but of course these are all just my opinions. And by the way, I have 2 cats, one of which is 4 years old and has lots of energy and plays all the time. She will jump on our shoulders from the floor and play with our hair and such. The other one would rather we just leave her alone except for when she wants attention.
And to answer the post. My cats and bird live in separate rooms. I would never leave them alone in the same room together. But, I wouldn't leave a dog in the room with my bird. Nor a small child. Whew, long post I know, but I had to defend the cats. LOL

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:41 AM

oy lol

i had a great dane as a kid ... or shall i say my mom did ... she was like a horse to me cuz i was a small kid and i used to ride around on her back HAHAHAHA and she loved it she used to be super protective of me and used to sleep next to my bed and would cry when i left for school smile i miss her so much.

she was really huge though lol

big dogs are good for many things not just guard dogs ... although just from her size she ussually scared people half to death.

i was attacked by a dog when i was 3 yrs old and it was a doberman ... a puppy one ... he just flipped out and ate my face off thank goodness i was young and the scars are no invisible but i had 113 stitches in my face and inside my mouth. my dad went out and shot the dog frown i know i know sad and kinda mean but it was a farm and we had a ton of dogs and thats what you did to a dog that attacked a human:(

i had a huge huge fear of dogs after that and we got the great dane as a puppy from the streets she was very sick my mom couldnt resist and took her in and i was terrified ... and i think the dog noticed my fear and she was so gentle with me ... she would come to me and lay on the floor spread eagle and inch her way towards me on her belly lol ... eventually i learned she was harmless ...her name was gert and she died of lukeimia .. we had to put her down.. i still get scared around large dogs but i grew up and we had a lab puppy .. brown with blue eyes .. we got her teeny tiny and named her lucy she was so sweet and gentle and mothered my sick cat like it was her own kid.

my mom had a small poodle mix with terrier and that dog was evil lol .. she was grumpy mean and moody and hated to be pet or touched and she barked at anything within 3 feet of her personal space lol

my rambling is to point out dogs come in all shapes sizes and personalities. every person has their likes and dislikes for various reasons and that is ok ... no big deal ... some like small some like big .. what is one persons trash is another persons treasure

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:42 AM

it was, indeed, offensive for you to INSINUTATE that rottwiellers were only good guard dogs. they're much more than that to me. I dont care if you saw a kid's leg bit by a rotweiller. My best friend got attacked and bit by a toy dog when wer were innocently walking down the street when I was little. any dog can bite if not trained properly.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:53 AM

Oh yeah, 10. Cats don't kill people, but dogs do. The list goes on and on.
That is sad to get attacked by a dog helwa. I'm glad that you got over your fear some and that there is no visible scars from it. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:54 AM

exactamundo zoo and animal freind

im more of a dog person myself but due to religious issues i cant have one in my house .. so i go volunteer at animal shelters and pet them all day hahaha

i did have a kitty but gave her away to an old lady i know who is alone .. i got my keets the next day smile

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:55 AM

thanks animal friend ... it honestly did scar me for life .. i see a big dog and i tense up and want to run away lol

i do have three small scars on my right cheek by my chin but they are barely visible and they look like a happy face hahahaha

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:57 AM

Awww, you are so sweet to give your cat to a lonely old lady. And I am glad that you are able to help care for dogs after what happened to you. That shows great courage!

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:58 AM

yeah, like I said, small dogs attack people just as much as big dogs. My best friend was attacked on three seperat occasions by three SMALL dogs. One almost tore her lip off. that's a problem with agression. She NEVER had a SINGLE problem with my rottweiler.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 02:58 AM

lol so what if i said rotwilers bite? how is that offensive to YOU? i didnt even know u had a rotwiler when i said that. i dont understand, are u looking for a conflict on purpose when i absoultly didnt say anything bad at all? did u just get bored tha the forum is doing great without any problems and are looking for something to argue about? cuz i aint gonna if thats what u want.. what u just did was plain immature. and please dont tell me a toy dog and a rotwiler are the same, soon u'll tell me a pitbul is the same as a toy dog too lol, rotwilers can be aggresive just as much as pitbuls for no reason, my great friend has a rotwilers, very great dog cuz hes trained but no lol , what u said is incorrect, a toy dog wont get aggersive for completely no reason.

here check this info on rotwilers:

"The Rottie is calm, trainable, courageous, and devoted to their owner and family. They have a reliable temperament. Protective, he will defend his family fiercely. These are strong fighters that seem immune to pain. Serious, steady and confident. Firm and careful training is essential for this breed, otherwise you may end up with a very powerful and overly aggressive dog. "

show me the same info saying that on a toy dog lol, rotwilers will become agreesive if not trained, toy dogs wont. thats the whole point. heres the page btw:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/rottweiler.htm

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:05 AM

pitbuls are no worse than toy dogs. there I said it.
A close friend of mine has a pitt that wouldnt hurt a fly. and they let him loose around th house in the same area as a two year old. they properly trained their dog and have reason to trust it.

if properly trained, any dog can be sweeter than ever. If not properly trained, ANY DOG CAN BE EVIL AND AGRESSIVE.

again,tell me why two random small dogs in the neighborhood and even her FAMILY PET attacked my friend for NO REASON, yet she was neer hurt by my rottweiler the pit bull down the street or the two great dane's next door?

And if defending my beliefs is wreaking havock on the forums, so be it.

and again, I think it was offensive for you to say in the first place "u see u want a rotw. so im guessing u want a guard dog lol" meaning it's not a pet or a member of the family, but a security system.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:06 AM

Small dogs can be aggressive also. Sometimes more aggressive because of anxiety:

http://www.oes.org/page2/332~Small_Dog_Aggression.html
http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Anxiety_in_Small_Dogs

Even books have been written. If you take the time to read the reviews you will see that there is info on why small dogs are aggressive and how to handle it. From a review:
"It also has many solutions to the dogs aggression toward people, children, animals, and other dogs. All of the examples of things that people should do while training their small dog, helped me understand why I need to do different things while training."

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Small-Toy-Dogs-Personality/dp/0931866790

Let me know if you need more.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:08 AM

any dog can be aggressive .. it all depends on how you train it and raise it and what you feed it and so on ... they feed pit bulls raw red meat wich triggers aggression ... the thirst for blood.

if you raise and train any dog properly it wont be aggressive ...

but they are animals and can snap anytime ... like any animal.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:13 AM

true helwa, but some dogs are aggresive in their nature more than othe breeds types, toy dogs for example.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:17 AM

Do you watch the Dog Whisperer. Because Cesar is an expert on dogs. Literally an expert. He says that it absolutely does not matter the breed of dog, but the training, owner, and life treatment of the dog. He says that toy dogs are equally as aggressive as pit bulls or rotties, it just depends on their training and past. He actually has more problems with toy dogs on the show.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:18 AM

yup exactly animalfriend ...

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:19 AM

Quoted from cesarmillaninc.com I deal with a lot of red zone cases, and I often hear people INCORRECTLY blaming the breed. Any breed can cause trouble. The difference between an aggressive Chihuahua and an aggressive pit bull is that the bigger breeds can cause proportionately bigger damage. It is important to recognize the power of a strong breed, like the pit bull, the Cane Corso, and the Mastiff. These dogs are very powerful and, if they are unbalanced, they can cause serious injury. Remember, these dogs don’t dream of being in the news when they grow up. Dogs don’t premeditate bad acts like people do. Bad things happen when powerful breeds (or mixes of powerful breeds) live with humans who like the breed but don’t understand and fulfill the animal in the dog. Many people consider the look or popularity of a breed before thinking about whether the dog works for their lifestyle. This is a recipe for disaster. To control a powerful breed, you need to become the dog’s pack leader and establish rules, boundaries, and limitations. You need to fulfill the dog as Nature intended him to be fulfilled. If you are considering adopting a powerful breed, make sure you are willing and able to take on the responsibility. (I bolded Incorrectly so you would see it)

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:20 AM

more toy dogs have problems becuase people assume they can do nothing and the dog will be trained- voila!
but it doesn't work that way. responsible pet owners will realize that a large dog can do more damage due to size than an untrained small dog, and that they have to concentrate on training a larger dog more.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:21 AM

Yup yup.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:22 AM

cats are great so are dogs I say get what you want your the one who has to live with it
Helwa I also was bitten when I was about 3. My grandparents had a german shephard it grabbed me by the neck from behind and shook me like a rag doll. At least it did not make me afraid of dogs as I have had dogs for pets in the past however I guess I would have to say I myself would never get a german shephard for the above mentioned reason and this is just a personal thing
Our cats are very affectionate and love to be petted they are kept away from the birds though poor buddy he sits on the otherside of the screen door sometimes and crys because he wants to be by me (buddy is one of our cats)
One thing nice about the cats is you can go away for a few days as long as they have enough food and a few clean litter boxes and water you can't do that with a dog However now that we have the birds can't go anyway. About all we have done is go overnight don't leave until all the birds are cleaned fed and watered with extra's of everything and then we are home by the next day. If it were longer I know I would have to get a sitter.
I'm seriously thinking of becoming a bird sitter myself has anyone here done this as a job?

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:24 AM

i have a soft coated wheaten terrier. she is precious and loving, and she is friendly towards the keet. go to heartlandclassics.com to see her brothers and sisters. the breeder is a wonderful woman.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:25 AM

good job idea ... that is the one thing i totally HATE about birds .. u cant go anywhere lol ...

i need a bird sitter ... id rather pay a trust worthy person than take them with me for holiday travel.

i wish i knew someone nearby with birds ... but i dont.

we always left town and left out dogs at home with extra food and water ... we had those automatic dispenser things for both. our dogs knew very well to use the doggie door lol or grandma would go after them with a newspaper hahaha

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:30 AM

I figured if I decide to do the bird sitting thing I will make up cards and also drop them off at the local pet stores. Hopeing someone has done this and reads this post so I can get some ideas

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 03:59 AM

all dogs can be aggresive but some can be more than other breeds by their nature and i watch tons of dog whisperer lol, funny how u didnt apologize zoo but whatever lol since i aint gone bother, everyone saw who was trying to get into a conflict on this one.. glad it went cool anyhow.. cesar milan is aweosme lolz laugh

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 04:10 AM

I have no reason to appologize. what you said offended me. that's that.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 04:11 AM

1 more thing, aggresivness is 1 thing but size is another, so u say all dogs can be aggresive? ok fine, thats very true but how many breeds can actually INJURE with their size and power? big dogs that is, such as pitbuls, rotwilllers, boxers.. chiuauas can bite, sure, i agree on that but they cant drop you to the floor by jumping on you like a boxer can, aint that right? i belive thats right which is why some dogs are more dangerous than others when not trained right or treated right, but yes i agree with you that all dogs can be aggresive, point i was making was that not all dogs can do severe damage with their aggresivness, quiete frankly rottweilers can if they need to or are trained to. chiuauas cant be trained to go and drop a person to the ground lol, thats the whole point. please dont tell me something totaly offtopic now lol. chiuaua cant drop a person to the ground by jumping on it when its aggresive, rottweilers can, right? thats it i made my point lol.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 04:13 AM

lol and you should appologize cuz when you say someone offended you when they obviously DID NOT, then you are offending them in return for no reason, in this case , me. which i wont bother but you dont like to be prooved wrong so theres no reason to bother as far as i and everyoen else can see. thing is, how is me saying rottweilers are aggresive and guard dogs offending you directly? lol , now you see that what you said made completely no sense? you probably wont agree again and go on ... cuz you dont like to be prooven wrong, oh well i prooven my point and im right anyway so whatever mate, its just immature.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 04:18 AM

you are not the decider of what is offensive to ME. you have no idea of my thoughts and emotions, so how can you deicide that?

and i still don't see how I'm wrong. If you're afraid of big dogs DON'T GET THEM. but dont offend those who know how to properly train and handle a big dog.

I love big dogs. I love rottweilers. I love pitt bulls. I would trust a large dog with my life and the lives of my children when I have children. I was born and raised around a rottweiler and not ONCE did it hurt me. I know more people hurt by little yappy dogs than by big dogs. There are too many stereotypes against large dogs becuase of people who do not properly train them and that is sad.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 04:21 AM

and saying "YOU MUST WANT A GUARD DOG" is not only offensive to me, it offends the breeds themselves. flat out- I want a member of the family, not a security device. If I wanted security I'd get an alarm system, not a dog. Dogs aren't meant to protect you. Your animal should not be faced with the responsibiltiy to ward off all evil. That is a human's job. Protect yourself, don't put that pressure on an animal.
Posted By: Cetan

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 04:22 AM

A friend from work was asked by a friend of hers to bird sit for a month, she then asked me if I would do it but she really wanted someone to stay at her apartment but I couldnt do it cause I got my own needy babies, and she lives about 20 min away - well I've been working a lot and need to spend my eves with my babies (right now the conure is sitting on my shoulder chewing my hair).

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 04:22 AM

quote me where i said "YOU MUST WANT A GUARD DOG" please. i know i didnt smile

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: lamonsas
u see u want a rotw. so im guessing u want a guard dog

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 04:26 AM

that was before u said you had a rotwiler in the past. smile so i had no clue what kind of dogs you liked. now i know you like BIG dogs and not as guard dogs. and read carefully i was "Guessing" because i didnt know what type of dogs you liked, i did not say "you must want a guard dog". the word i used makes a difference there.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 04:35 AM

lamonsas, you can't assume about people's past. it shouldnt matter that you didn't know I had a rott. It would have even been more acceptable to say, "is the reason you want a rottweiler becuase you think it would make a good guard dog?" I wouldn't have been extremely HAPPY with that, still becuase of the insinuation that that's all they're good for, but it would have been more acceptable.

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 05:05 AM

cool.

cheers.
Posted By: PDM

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: The_Zookeeper
it is extremely offensive to me for you to insinuate that the only thing a rottweiler is good for is a guard dog. I had a rottweiler growing up and he was the nicest dog ever. ... again, that was inapropriate and I don't appreciate it.

Goodness me!

All he said was: 'u see u want a rotw. so im guessing u want a guard dog lol, theres nothing a "BIG" dog has that a boston terrier doesnt.'

A lot of people do have rottweilers as guard dogs, and I'm guessing they may not be any more intelligent or friendly than Boston terriers. It depends on what you want ~ personal choice ~ but I don't see why that comment should be considered offensive or inappropriate.
Have I missed something?!

Re: getting a cat - 12/05/07 05:45 PM

rotweilers can be guard dogs, but also compamions. it really depends on the owner. in my opinion, there is no such thing as a bad dog. but rotweilers are sometimes aggressive, so maybe lamonsas has had a negative expirience, and zookeeper had a positive.
Posted By: blue budgie

Re: getting a cat - 01/08/08 10:12 PM

i am not getting a dog because
1.there poo
2.they get petty big
3.my dad and mom like cats
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum