Lisa Shea

how many can i have

Posted By: villageidiot33

how many can i have - 03/30/07 08:44 PM

I have what is called a 'casbah' cage. Its big. I was wondering how many 'keets' i could safely have in there. I want to try and breed them. thanks you
sararyan@wah.midco.net
Posted By: Stephen

Re: how many can i have - 03/30/07 08:45 PM

What are the dimensions?

Re: how many can i have - 03/30/07 08:55 PM

bottom to peak is 32 inches, width at smallest part is 17 across, width at widest part is 22 inches across.

it looks like a spade, if you know cards.
Posted By: big bad momma

Re: how many can i have - 03/30/07 09:02 PM

I have three in a birdhouse that just a little bit smaller.they have room to run around and play plus the can fly from side to side if when they want to excerise their wings.they need their own space at times,so they don't be fighting.
Posted By: ShamRockStar

Re: how many can i have - 03/30/07 09:41 PM

i would say three at most... comfortably id say more like two... also, those kinds of cage are exactly the safest or most useful... you cant hang toys from the ceiling without them all sliding around and if it's heavily decorated (as most cages like that are) you keets could get their toes stuck in the points that the wires make causing them to hurt or even rip off a toe... badbadbad...

if thats the one you absolutely want to keep and you are serious about breeding (meaing you know all about all the dangers to the hen and chicks and are ready to keep or find good homes for all the chicks) I would say just get one pair, a male and female. That way they can bond and no one will get left out. NEVER EVER get more females then males if you can help it, they'll fight eachother over the male...
Posted By: Robyn

Re: how many can i have - 03/31/07 12:11 AM

I have this cage and no problems at all. Right now I'm using 2 cages for 5 birds, since they all freefly, they choose their own sleeping quarters.
Posted By: Noel+Syd+Elliot

Re: how many can i have - 03/31/07 12:42 AM

Are you going to keep the babies?

I would say only 2 happy birds can be in there.
Posted By: Chalk

Re: how many can i have - 03/31/07 02:39 AM

I've got the same cage. It's been Yuki and Nami's home for around 2 and a half years now. They love it and there's plenty of room with just the two of them in there (I've got Pheonix in a smaller cage in a different room.) plus their toys. My only complaint is that they absolutely love to sit in the parts that flare out at the top and see how far they can toss their seed shells. eek I honestly believe they both sit and try to see who can throw them farther when I'm not in the room.
And I think they've got distance pooing contests, as well. [Linked Image]

(Edit) PS: This is it. grin Right? http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/large/i/in56/in560210large_d5dd.jpg
Posted By: Cetan

Re: how many can i have - 03/31/07 02:53 AM

If you are thinking about breeding please read LLBP post on breeding; also there is a good post on correct cage sizes
Posted By: love all 5 of my birdies

Re: how many can i have - 03/31/07 02:57 AM

i got a question..

why do you want to breed them? just wondering.. and would you have the extra money for a vet visit every now and then if a baby falls out of the nest box..

but if you really do its amazing to see little baby eggs! lol you would love it! i just got 5 eggs from maria!! lol
Posted By: Robyn

Re: how many can i have - 03/31/07 08:26 AM

Yup Chalk, that's the same one I have. Have you tried to put seed guards around the trouble spots?
Posted By: Chalk

Re: how many can i have - 04/01/07 05:18 AM

"Tried" is the keyword there. frown The seed guards we have wouldn't fit around the top, so right now the only seed guard that would fit on it is down around the thinner part where their food and water cups are. Unfortunately, it doesn't help a whole lot. [Linked Image]

I really need to get to Petsmart sometime soon. I'll hopefully be able to beg a ride out of my mom tomorrow or Monday. [Linked Image] And then it'll probably end up being another bulk trip, and I'll get a bunch of stuff for all of my babies and not be able to go back for a month again. [Linked Image]
Posted By: LLPB

Re: how many can i have - 04/01/07 05:38 AM

Yup...2 keets comfortably in that cage...

But DO NOT breed them in that cage!!! it is NOT for breeding keets...just for housing 2. For breeding, you need a cage that is maybe built for 4 or so...

if you are considering breeding, read my "All about breeding parakeets" post. Before you decide ANYTHING!

pm/email me if you need help or have any ?s

Re: how many can i have - 04/26/07 05:51 PM

How many finches could fit in a 'casbah' cage? Right now I have to 'teils' in it and they are mating like crazy. My keets are in another cage...just a little smaller.
Posted By: Plumb_pudding

Re: how many can i have - 04/26/07 07:29 PM

oh boy....are you serious? or is this a joke? just wondering....

Re: how many can i have - 04/26/07 08:00 PM

the tiels are moving right? cuz that's way too small... that's even too small for your two keets who you said are in a smaller cage...
Posted By: LLPB

Re: how many can i have - 04/26/07 08:15 PM

OH MY GOSHES!!!! that's awful!

shame shame shame if you're actually serious. gosh! >=[

GET THEM A BIGGER CAGE!

Re: how many can i have - 04/26/07 08:56 PM

The cage that I got them in was the same height but cut into 2 levels. They have more room in the casbah cage then what they had before. Im not thinking of putting keets, teils and finches in at same time. THAT is crazy! I'm getting another cage the end of may to fit my 2 keets in. Then I'm going to seperate the teils. If they lay eggs and have babies by them, should I still move them? Wont they get mad and kill the babies? I took pics of my birds but I have to wait for my teenager to get home to load them inot the puter.
Posted By: *6 budgie nutz*

Re: how many can i have - 04/26/07 08:59 PM

ohh myyyyy thats way to small for two teils, or evan the keets if you ask me. bigger wayyy bigger cage, unless the one i am looking at online is the wrong cage, i typed in casbah cage and what i seen is way too small. but thats just my "opinion"

Re: how many can i have - 04/26/07 11:24 PM

Sorry, but whats a cabash cage?

Re: how many can i have - 04/26/07 11:29 PM

this is a casbah cage price grabber

Re: how many can i have - 04/26/07 11:31 PM

Oh! Thanks so much.
I've definitly seen those in petsmart.
Yeah. wayyy to small for 1, let alone 2 tiels. =(

Re: how many can i have - 04/27/07 12:13 AM

If you play cards it looks like a spade. Type in 'cashbah bird cage' on your puter and it will come up. I saw one at petco and they said I could fit 3 parakeets in it at most. I was wondering how many finches I could fit in there. The bars are 1/2 inch.

Re: how many can i have - 04/27/07 01:11 AM

those people at those places have no clue what they are talking about they look at the size of the bird and the cage and say yea it will fit "yea sure it WILL FIT" but the bird is not free to excercise and play and do what birds are suppose to do. they need as much room as possible, what if we lived in house where we just did FIT and was not able to roam around and do thing we are meant to do? are we going to be happy? lol im not being mean to you village but those people at petsmart petco etc etc think they know what they are talking about and they dont and grrrrr it just makes me so mad!!! its like the lady told me when ibought my bird i asked her how to train it, and this was her answer "put on a glove and grab the bird in your hand and rub the back of its head!" lmfao i mean how scary would that be if it was me or you and a giant hand???? not only is grabbing them scary but they cannot see behind there heads to see what is happening to them and she expects them to be tame after that? lol ok i think i got my point across lol anyway i would put no more than 2 finches in the cage either.

Re: how many can i have - 04/30/07 01:43 AM

Yes, chalk it is the right cage. I have 2 teils and a nesting box with 2 eggs so far in there.

I have the keets in a little smaller cage. I just put a nesting box in there today.

I am getting another cage the end of May. do I need to seperate the parent teils after the eggs hatch?

Re: how many can i have - 04/30/07 04:16 AM

you need to get a bigger cage much sooner then that. when the teil eggs hatch you will have ::cue drumroll:: 4 or more tiels in that one tiny not even big enough for one tiel cage.
that's not fair
if you didn want to spend the time or money to find them a better cage you shouldn't have taken them or bred them. Keep in mind you'r e risking their health for your amusemtn the least you could do is get them a bigger cage now and get it ready for as soon as they can be moved.
Posted By: PunkKareBear

Re: how many can i have - 04/30/07 04:29 AM

i am sorry for this but i cant help my self....

for someone who says they love thier pets you seem to be treating them so awful! if your cage can so called fit 3 keets then my cage for my ONE keet can fit 10 keets!

you my friend really should NOT be breeding untill you understand how to take GOOD care of your pets.

Re: how many can i have - 04/30/07 04:33 AM

So in other words you just want to see babies? Because it sounds to me like your a young kid or teen probably under the age of 16 and you really have no clue as to even handle an aanimal. Do your pets even like you? and I don't mean dogs and cats, they like everyone. But your birds, or do they prefer each other and bite you every time you try to pick them up. i'm guessing the second one. You shouldn't even have birds without having done research, I'm still wondering if this was all a joke to be honest. i have trouble believeing someone is just that ignorant when it comes to somethings life. You need to have your birds taken away and placed in LOVING homes. Have you ever had an animal die in your care? Just wondering.

Re: how many can i have - 04/30/07 02:36 PM

No, I never had an animal die in my care. I am over the age of 30. Yes I have a dog, who is very well trained. One of the keets will perch on my finger. Both teils perch on my finger. They spend all day of the cage (12 hrs). I DO leave the door open- so when they want to go in they do. The keets are out after I put the teils in at night. Or they fight!

My neighbor has a teil that is going on 20yrs old and is in a tall skinny cage. That maybe 2 finches can fit. She never takes him out of the cage.
Posted By: meljo93

Re: how many can i have - 04/30/07 03:39 PM

Don't sweat it villageidiot33. It was coming from a kid who thinks dogs and cats like everyone, and who thinks if your birds prefer each other's company, you are doing something wrong.

I have been keeping birds longer than they have been living, and while I don't agree with your cage sizes for breeding, I have the maturity not to attack, and instead give advice.

Since your Tiels have already laid, and you won't get the new cage until May, there isn't much you can do until then. How big is this new cage? It should be at least twice the size as the cashbah cage if you plan to continue letting them out for 12 hours a day. If you can't let them out for as long, get a bigger cage.
I would only put three Budgies in a Cashbah cage, even if they are let out for up to 4 hours a day. I would not use it for breeding. For Finches... since they can't be let out too safely, I would only put two. That way, there is room to fly. If you wish to breed, just get bigger cages, and do the proper research.

Re: how many can i have - 04/30/07 05:06 PM

Ok Meljo if you had read the rest of this post you would have seen, we have already offered advice calmly. Actually read every post on this forum by this person. They are always given advice calmly. However, they are completely failing to listen to us. There comes a point when people get annoyed.
Way to introduce yourself to a new forum by not even reading anything and then attacking some of its better respected and educated members. That’s the way I like to join a board.
Villageidiot should be sweating it. They are mistreating their birds and no matter how many times we've advised them how to fix it they haven’t fixed anything and keep asking the same questions. The answers are ALWAYS the same. you should not be breeding tiels if you don’t even know what mutation or sex these tiels are. You SHOULD NOT be breeding these tiels if the cage they're in isn’t even big enough for one tiel because guess what? Soon you'll have 4 or more tiels in that cage. That’s ridiculous. How bout I put you and your significant other in a closet and say here you co, have some kids. That sounds like fun huh?
Just because your neighbor has no idea how to keep their birds does not mean you should follow suit. And just because someone’s been keeping birds for 'longer then they have been living' (I cant tell if this refers to the birds living or the people living, either way, you should clean up your sentence structure so it actually... you know... makes sense) does not mean they know a darn thing. You could be keeping birds for 10 years and have gone through 10 budgies and think that's perfectly fine. Here though we like to keep our birds in the best environment we can keep them in. We try to educate others to be able to do the same. If you choose to ignore us and keep asking the same questions that have already been answered, sorry, you're gonna get a smart alec answer.
do not I REPEAT do not! (and this goes for everyone, not just the two people who are pissing me off just now) even think to be insulting each other because someone is 'just a kid' that will lower this board to a point that it doesn’t need to be. Heck, I'm only 22, that doesn’t mean I know less then someone who’s older then me cuz chances are I've researched more then you ever have in your life. Take LLPB for example, our breeding and health expert is 14 years old. Age has nothing to do with knowledge.
Posted By: meljo93

Re: how many can i have - 04/30/07 06:07 PM

Heather,

I have and had read the entire post. I was not attacking anyone. I was pointing out my experience and length of time that I have been keeping birds. I was also pointing out that a poster that made childish and ill remarks doesn't have much experience with animals or their behaviors. The poster was not you, by the way, so why the defensive mode? Oh, and if you go back and read my post... the sentence structure is fine.

Do I agree with the way the original poster keeps her birds? No

Do I think they should be breeding without doing research? No

Do I think they are a terrible person for doing this, and should have all of their animals taken because of it? Or be told such things?
No, I think they need to be better educated, which is why they are here, asking questions.

I also think it is very childish to attack a poster until you know the facts. For example, I was happily surprised to find out that the Teils spend so much time outside of the cage if they choose.

As far as the age thing goes, I do not believe that it means more in bird keeping. I really didn't mean to put all young keepers in the same group. I was referring to a single post. Which again, wasn't yours.

Re: how many can i have - 04/30/07 07:00 PM

o.k everyone calm down,we're all here I hope for the same reason. to find out what is best for our birds. the key word is birds.let's keep the forus on them.we're all to intellengent to be going thru this.we cannot allow our personal feeling to interfer with gaining knowleg.the correct way to raise and treat out babies. they are all that really matters. there are some people on here with serious problems,let put together and help themI've always been veryproud of the way we respect each other,sometimes advice may sound a little harsh to geta point across when everything else seems to fail,I went thru it and learned from the experience.I'm thankful for it,my birds are doing great and I have 5 keets and 1 teil.

Re: how many can i have - 04/30/07 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by meljo93
Don't sweat it villageidiot33. It was coming from a kid who thinks dogs and cats like everyone, and who thinks if your birds prefer each other's company, you are doing something wrong.

I have been keeping birds longer than they have been living, and while I don't agree with your cage sizes for breeding, I have the maturity not to attack, and instead give advice.

First of all I'm not a kid, I don't find anything wrong with birds bonding, if you read the whole post and you love birds and animals as much as you claim, you would understand where I'm coming from. I think that its a stupid idea for this person to breed their birds when they don't seem to know how to even take care of all of them. Second I don't know why you would even get involved the comment wasn't made to you, so theresfore has nothing to do with you, but in case you didn't know, seeing as how your new and all, most of the people on here are either really early teens, mid 20s or over 35. Seeing as how I've been on here for a while I know this. Before you start trying to start something I suggest you rethink where you stand on this post considering this guy has been given a ton of dvice, we all have birds on here so talking about whether or not you've had birds doesn't say much on your part. Also its not our job to encourage something if we're completely against it, and your the one who made a call on age and maturity. My attitude has nothing to do with maturity, it has to do with wanting whats best for birds. Next time you decide to try and start something on a forum you've barely been on much less posted on, find a different one.

Re: how many can i have - 04/30/07 11:46 PM

Sorry, I cant help it if I get a bad feeling from an idividual who comes on here and their first post is attacking people who are well respected on this forum. I know exactly who the post was about (Kila) and I dont care. I think it's rude. She is a wonderful bird mom. You can't know the entire history we all have answering this one persons questions. They refuse to listen. We started off being overly kind and yes, we're getting harsher as we go becasue they JUST ARENT LISTENING!
and what really got the bee in my bonnet is the commet about how you've had birds longer then 'they have been living' 2 things. The sentance structure problem was that you didnt specify who 'they' was. Did you mean you've had your birds for longer then your birds have been living? or for longer then Kila has been living. That sentance confusion thing is a pet peeve of mine, that's why I jumped on it. Also, I have had people try to tell me that I'm stupid because I'm only a kid, that's the other reason why I jumped on that. Age and maturity have nothing to do with it

oh, and if you've ever met a dog who was well taken care of and not abused that didnt like every one... you're an anomaly. Because I rescue dogs and I have two who were abused for much of their young lives and they still love everyone and anything that comes their way.

you're just not starting off on the right foot here. Maybe make another attmept and try not to rag on the people who have been on this forum forever and are good parronts.

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 04:17 AM

I guess we do have grown ups in this forum! Thank you meljo93!

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by villageidiot33
I have what is called a 'casbah' cage. Its big. I was wondering how many 'keets' i could safely have in there. I want to try and breed them. thanks you
sararyan@wah.midco.net

Heres what you originally wrote....instead of talking about whether or not we know what we're talking about being "kids" and all, consider how ignorant you sound. BTW the people you find on here who don't go around bragging that they've had birds since "before they were born" are great bird parents unlike yourself, you probably don't know the first thing about breeding, theres nothing more we can tell you, and now the best thing you can do is just leave, this is a very supportive forum of nice people who like to give each other advice and share things about there birds, why don't you find a new forum to terrorize, maybe they might like you there.

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by villageidiot33
I guess we do have grown ups in this forum! Thank you meljo93!

and you say this specifically because he told you not to feel bad that you arent caring for your pets correctly and are refusing toe listen to our advice...
Heres the thing, if you want to keep on abusing your pets, then dont ask us how to properly take care of them
that's how it works.
If you ask us, you get answers and yes it WILL always be the same answer. You shouldnt be breeding, You need to move ALL of your birds into bigger cages. That is the only issues we're having right now. Honestly i think it's great that you're asking questions about breeding and whatnot and we're all more then happy to help but it does get pretty annoying when we advise and you dont listen and just ask the same questions over again.
And I would like to mention that I find it funny that the 'grown ups' were the first ones to mention age.
I'm about to graduate College with a BS in psych after four years. Only 15% of the American population can say they've graduated college with a BS or BA in anything. I, while not being a 'grown up' am certainly very smart, dedicated, and patient. It has nothing to do with age.
And despit how harsh Kila is being I agree, If you arent going to listen to our advice go to another forum. We can't deal with it anymore.
I can actually refer you to another forum that is about all kinds of parrots not just budgies, it is very informative and, just like here, a very patient and interested community. if you would like to give that a go, let me know and I'll PM you the address. Just be advised, the people there are going to tell you the same things we have most likely and no one there will let you feel ok for treating your birds like this. On the bright side, you'll learn and lot and find a very supportive community that can really help you out with tiels more specifically as long as you choose to listen to the advice that you ask for.
Posted By: skykap

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 05:52 AM

loved your reply, you are very wise young one (Heather) realy am finding great information on this sight. Thank you also Lisa

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 06:48 AM

indeed she is...indeed she is....heehee...lol though i can't call her young one..shes older then me! lol

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 12:22 PM

My son is 10 and has an IQ of 75. He is borderline mentally retarded. He has a list of other issues also. Some days he is more marture then his 13 yr old brother.

I was looking at cages at petco last night. What do you all think of this one for my teils? 'Avian Select Deluxe Dometop Small Parrot Home'. the dome top seems like a wasted space though.

My step dad will make me a teil cage if I want him to. but I cant find any good directions.

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 02:30 PM

what does your son have to do with anything? This is a forum for people who want to their experience and knowledge and joy of their birds and stuff, this has nothing to do with whos kid is more retarded. All birds need a big cage, for 1 keet it shouldnt be less then 18x18x18, and double for two. Do you understand anything you've been told? You will never be able to breed keets in a small cage, and fyi they prefer square cages, a round one or shaped roof cage is for a persons liking of it. The birds dont. If your looking for someone middle aged to give you advice find a different forum, most of the more experienced bird parents on here are like 13 years old. If you don't like that find a different one hey maybe you and whats their face should start your own forum where you defend eachother and stuff, she can defend your spelling and she can defend your grammar? Sounds like a plan to me.

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 04:04 PM

ok kila... litttle harsh, they are asking, we should answer...

Anyway I know exactly what cage you're talking about and its a pretty good size for one tiel but not two.
I tried to search the directions that pretty bird wrot eup for making your own cage but I cant find them. Basically you can use firring strips (untreated) black hardware netting and any large tray you can find. Make the base out of plywood, use the wood firring stips to make the supports for the mesh, and staple the mesh on the outside, then put more firring strips on the corners (if you so wish, thats more of a cosmetic thing) you can make it any size you want and just attach legs to it for a stand. smile
Posted By: dindy

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kila's mum
what does your son have to do with anything? This is a forum for people who want to their experience and knowledge and joy of their birds and stuff, this has nothing to do with whos kid is more retarded. All birds need a big cage, for 1 keet it shouldnt be less then 18x18x18, and double for two. Do you understand anything you've been told? You will never be able to breed keets in a small cage, and fyi they prefer square cages, a round one or shaped roof cage is for a persons liking of it. The birds dont. If your looking for someone middle aged to give you advice find a different forum, most of the more experienced bird parents on here are like 13 years old. If you don't like that find a different one hey maybe you and whats their face should start your own forum where you defend eachother and stuff, she can defend your spelling and she can defend your grammar? Sounds like a plan to me.

Dont you think that uncalled for to me they only want to make sure thier birds are safe an well cared for.
you should say you sorry to this family im sure of that

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 06:33 PM

ok, ok, i'm sorry for saying that.
Posted By: PunkKareBear

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 06:35 PM

you should look into maybe a cage simular to this...

[Linked Image]

that way you can buy both cages in one instead two diff ones it could save you some money in the end... plus they last a long time... and have breeding doors.

something for you to consider...

also if you tell us your budget i am sure some people will be glad to throw some ideas your way...

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 06:49 PM

omg I actually almost bought a cage like that a while back

Re: how many can i have - 05/01/07 08:12 PM

thats one of the cages I';m looking at for whne I get my tiel this summer, I dont have enough room to have all these huge cages everywhere and the stackers take up sooo much less room!

Re: how many can i have - 05/02/07 04:31 AM

lol really? I'm getting my tiel in June, when I graduate my mom raised the bar to two birds for graduation, so I'm doing a tiel and a conure.

Re: how many can i have - 05/02/07 04:48 AM

whoa! that's great!! smile
i would get them a few month apart though so you can work with each of them indiviudally and quarentine them correctly smile

Also, make sure you watch the conure when its out with the keet and tiel. Birds who arent form the same continent get in more fights with eachother then birds who are, tiels and keets are from aussie land conures are from south america smile
good for you though, my mom is against me getting the bird so I'm just using and grad money i get for it

Re: how many can i have - 05/02/07 05:19 AM

the cage pictured here is simular to the one I purchased recently.it stands 5ft5 metal with two large doors.i'll show pictures when i'm finished decorating it.sweetie,snowie and speckles are already in it.sparkles and snuggles are in the small cage for another two weeks and the teil is in the large birdhouse.wasn't someone talking about them starting a forum on teils with so many of us getting them?

Re: how many can i have - 05/02/07 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by HEATHEsaurusREX
whoa! that's great!! smile
i would get them a few month apart though so you can work with each of them indiviudally and quarentine them correctly smile

Also, make sure you watch the conure when its out with the keet and tiel. Birds who arent form the same continent get in more fights with eachother then birds who are, tiels and keets are from aussie land conures are from south america smile
good for you though, my mom is against me getting the bird so I'm just using and grad money i get for it

lol yeah well she's desperate for me to gradutate, I'm going to be getting each of them from a breeder so they wont be too close together, maybe a little too close together, I'm not sure yet.
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum