Lisa Shea

neighborhood cat issue

Posted By: val313

neighborhood cat issue - 07/20/09 07:15 PM

I have posted before on the cats in our neighborhood. They are getting to be a huge problem.
My neighbor keeps her cats outside all the time. They come over and poo in my flowers and have scratched up several plants. Not only that but I am very allergic to them. I can't even work in my flower beds without sneezing and my eyes swelling up. Not cool. I have talked with her about this many times. She really does not care or laughs it off.
I have tried many things to keep them out. Cat rid spray and if I can catch them soaking them and where they are sleeping with a hose. 3 out of the 4 cats got the message and they no longer mess with our house. I finally had to talk with my neighbor again and pretty much beg her to keep the one cat inside.
This lasted for a month. Now all the cats are back outside again.
Plus there are about 6 strays. We have a very large backyard and I like to feed the wild birds and put up nest boxes. I can no longer do this. All spring I have seen the cats stalk and try to kill the baby birds. I chase them off but I cannot do this all the time. So finally I had to take down all of the nest boxes and the feeders. Last night a cat killed a robin in the back yard. I had been watching this little robin grow up all week. I am so mad.

I want to call animal control but I dont want to anger my neighbors. They know I dont like cats and I am at a loss for what to do.
I cannot feed the birds in my own yard or work in my garden because of all of the cats. Is this fair??

What would you all do? Do I even have a right to do anything? I know that many here are cat lovers. I am not saying that people should not own cats I just want to be able to enjoy my house.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/20/09 07:21 PM

call animal control. it is what is best and they wont tell them it was you who called, they wont even tell them they got a call at all.

it is a health hazard as i am sure the cats arent vaccinated nor spayed/nuetered, it is unfair to the cats and unfair to you.

they will pick them up and find them good home, or if they feel the people will comply with city laws and follow guidelines set out they will allow them to keep them.
Posted By: Niki

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/20/09 07:21 PM

Is there a way to file a report about such things? I'm not really sure. I mean... not animal control, but some sort of police report? Does that relate? I mean, cause you talked to the neighbor and the cats are technically her property and responsibility. If the cats are harming your property and impeding your activities of daily living, that can surely become a legal issue.

I do like cats though and would act differently. But seeing as you can't even act differently because of your allergies, telling you what I would do wouldn't really help. :P

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/20/09 07:29 PM

I didnt get to explain better my computer logged me off.
I have complained to animal control before about a dog that was loose. It bit a mans dog while they were walking and tried to bite me one morning. The dog ended up being taken away. But my next door neighbor figured out that I called. (she has the cats) I know if I call again and her cats get taken away there will be a problem. She is a great neighbor besides the cat issue.
I just dont want to be the hated person in the neighborhood. I hate seeing birds get killed in my yard all the time.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/20/09 07:35 PM

sadly the only way to get the issue under control is to get animal control and your local shelter involved. the cats will only multiply.

it is kitten season right now, so expect to see a surge in young cats in the next month or two.

un fixed cats are a very very serious problem, a single female and her descendants can produce up to 400,000 cats in a single year !!!!!!

and those cats arent being cared for properly if they are just out roaming around the neighborhood, sorry to say it.

if she finds out its you then tell her you are sorry but you had no choice. let her be upset, id wager that you probally arent the only neighbor who is anoyyed by it...

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/20/09 07:36 PM

I can sympathize with being the hated neighbor thing. We called once when I was really little about our neighbors dogs. But they were scum bags, in all honesty.

I think it comes down to what's more important to you, really. No one is getting hurt, but YOU are having to change and alter your activities of daily living because your neighbor will stubbornly not listen to your very kind requests.

Plus, if you had to call on her before... don't you think maybe she doesn't know how to take care of animals? That's certainly a thought too!

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/20/09 07:42 PM

It was another neighbor that I had to call on. Thanks for the tips. I will make the call tomorrow morning. It just hit a nerve last night when I had to take everything down after that poor little robin got eaten.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/20/09 09:18 PM

yea that would be the breaking point for me too.

we have a ton of strays here because our old complex manager used to feed them all. i have trapped many of them and taken them into work an dgot the fixed and they are in happy homes now, but its a never ending issue, once they are there, its very hard to get rid of them.
Posted By: BLR

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/20/09 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Aminah (helwa)
un fixed cats are a very very serious problem, a single female and her descendants can produce up to 400,000 cats in a single year !!!!!!

I think you may have overstated the volume of cats a single mom can produce in a single year.
Posted By: Puds

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/20/09 10:00 PM

"And her descendants". That means her males cats kids, as well as her female cats kids...then their kids....their kids...so on.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/21/09 01:36 AM

I actually agree with BLR, that's an overstatement. I doubt even a single bunny can create that many descendents in a year. Mind you, cats do not go into sexual maturity for a few months. You don't see kittens making kittens.

Well, correction, you do. Depends on your defenition of "kitten." But it does take a few months for them to reach maturity.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/21/09 01:53 AM

the estimate is indeed correct, and that is exactly WHY it so important for cats to be fixed !!!
Posted By: thekeetdad

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/21/09 03:16 AM

theres allot of cats in my neighborhood to i wish they would just go away
Posted By: BLR

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/21/09 02:29 PM

I would agree with "from one litter" but I just can't agree with "in one year." Helwa, I am courious, how long would it take to produce the 400,000 from one female. I understand what you are saying, and agree that intact cats are a huge problem.
Posted By: PDM

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/21/09 03:55 PM

This is an interesting thread, from my point of view.

We have a cat and have had other cats in the past. I can certainly understand why Val feels as she does, so please don't take this as criticism; it is simple meant to be a comment on the different ways our countries seem to deal with cats.

We used to have a rabbit, when I was a child, and it was killed by a neighbour's cat, so I was angry about that, but cats are cats and most people, here, simply accept & ignore them.

Maybe it's because, over here, cats just roam free and come home as and when they wish ~ usually through their cat flap ~ that I perceive a different attitude.

Lots of cats come into my garden and I'm pretty sure that my cat goes into other people's gardens.

People may hate or love cats; people may try to keep them off their property, but people also seem to accept that cats do as cats do and that's just life.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/21/09 10:17 PM

Helwa, how? If one cat has lets say by some insane miracle, 12 cats. Those kittens won't reach maturity until 10 months, maybe a little earlier. Maybe that the absolute earliest 6, by another same miracle. 400,000 cats from one cat is not possible in a single 12 month year.

Do you mean how many cats are produced a year, in general?I can agree with that. A single cat, 1 cat alone, can not make that much.

PDM, I agree with what you say about cats being cats. I don't mind cats eating our birds outside. They eat birds, baby bunnies, voles, baby moles, snakes, whatever they can. But that's on our property. If someone next door complained, I would keep the cats inside. You know?

Anyway... Did you chose to make the call? What happened?

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/21/09 10:27 PM

How many females could a tom cat impregnate in the given time?

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/21/09 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Niki
.... PDM, I agree with what you say about cats being cats. I don't mind cats eating our birds outside. They eat birds, baby bunnies, voles, baby moles, snakes, whatever they can. But that's on our property. If someone next door complained, I would keep the cats inside. You know? ...

As I said, I was in no way criticising ~ just making an observation, based on the apparently different attitudes to cat-keeping in our two countries.

Here, cats just wander freely and are rarely kept in, so, while of course they do have 'owners', they are seen as kind of free spirits, who do their own thing. smile

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/21/09 11:03 PM

That's interesting! :P I saw a documentary once that said the Tom cats in the UK were mostly overweight, is that true? It's so weird to picture homeless cats actually fat!

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/21/09 11:22 PM

I dont agree with cats just being cats. When it is a health issue and interupting others lives then its a problem. If a dog was roaming the neighborhood eating animals and pooping in others yards to the point where they had to change their lifestyles people would protest. But because its a cat that somehow makes it okay??
If this sounds like I am yelling I am not. I am just trying to make a point.
Cat crap in my flower bed is nasty. I do not want ringworm or lord knows what else. Plus, I cant even have a bird feeder or bird houses right now. How fair is it for me to put them out knowing that the birds are just a meal ticket for the cats?
Plus many songbirds numbers are declining enough as it is. Cats add to that decline.
A lady in the next neighborhood over had a great idea for her cats. She has a huge cage with cat toys and platforms and such that she has outside. The cats can lounge out in the sun without getting into trouble. I realize that not many people can afford such a thing but its a great idea. It keeps your cat safe from getting run over, hurt or impregnated!

It has been raining here for the past two days so I have not called yet. I am doing more research on the laws in my town to make sure I am doing the fair thing for everyone involved.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/21/09 11:24 PM

This is a link talking about the decline in Songbirds:
http://library.fws.gov/Bird_Publications/songbrd.html#Cat
Posted By: 3311995

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/22/09 01:13 AM

In one of my moms books it says to mix oil with garlic and spread it around and that should keep them away.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/22/09 01:44 AM

they are not vampires.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/22/09 02:29 AM

See though, Val313, that's coming from you not liking cats. Which is totally understandable! Dogs are different because are more often more dangerous that cats. They're bigger, and can cause a lot more damage. I haven't heard of non-rabid cats attacking people.

I love birds too. Adore them. But I recognize nature's way. Cats eat birds. Just life.

BUT! Besides that, I do agree with you. As I said, they are dissrupting your life activities. You have a right to cease that.

Let us know what you do! I hope it works out best for you and the cats.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/22/09 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: val313
... When it is a health issue and interupting others lives then its a problem. If a dog was roaming the neighborhood eating animals and pooping in others yards to the point where they had to change their lifestyles people would protest.
Bingo. To me it's not a case of liking cats or not liking cats; it's a case of one neighbor's pets wreaking havoc on another neighbor's health & garden.

The neighbor obviously doesn't plan to change her ways, and I don't see any alternative, Val, but to be very assertive about the situation. In addition to animal control, does your town have some sort of ombudsman or dispute mediator? In my opinion, you should use whatever resources you have at hand; germy cat poop in your yard and dead wild birds are issues that should be taken seriously by "the powers that be" in your town.
Posted By: baby blue

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/22/09 06:44 PM

had a similar prob. called animal control and they went and had a little chat. same thing the second time. thitd time, had the cat picked u
Posted By: skipperdog

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/22/09 07:58 PM

Well, I see it this way. If you can't use your yard because of the cat feces, then I would call animal control. I love cats, but if I had one routinely using my garden as a litter box, it would make me mad. Their urine and feces have an overwhelming odor and can carry diseases such as toxoplasmosis.

I would not chase the cat, but I would photograph it pooping and hunting on your property, as many times as you can. Then you have a little ammo, and it isn't just your word versus the neighbors'.

If it's the wild cats, I would bait a "Have a heart" humane trap with some wet cat food, catch it, and take it to an animal shelter. (They don't normally adopt out feral cats, though, just so you know. They are ususally euthanized. So, maybe a no-kill shelter for the wild cats if that bothers you.)

Anyway, those are my suggestions.

Good luck!
Posted By: tweetymom

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/22/09 10:41 PM

My cats love garlic with oil! I give them a little oil, mixed with Red Star Yeast and garic and they just love it. Not all books are accurate.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/22/09 11:02 PM

One thing I know for sure works: Get a pitcher of cold water and throw that on the cat. Even if you do not get any on the cat, it will deter it from coming back soon.
Posted By: 3311995

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/23/09 01:17 AM

i know they arn, it says to mix garlic an tobasco sause together an spray it ware you dont want them. so when they clean themselves they'll eat the spray
Posted By: baby blue

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/23/09 02:23 AM

if there are no kids around... mothballs do a good job. smile
Posted By: 428pm

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/23/09 03:12 PM

I think the hot sauce thing is cruel...

there are more humane ways to deal with it.

Humane traps, mothballs, and citrus sprays or smells, cats cant stand the smell of the oils from citrus fruits.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/23/09 08:43 PM

they do make sprays for cats they sell them at petsmart and they are cat safe.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/23/09 08:57 PM

Throwing cold water is a sure fire way to deal with cats being where they do not belong!

There was a cat that beat up on my cat, and he made his way onto my porch to eat my cats food! I tossed the water on him and he hasn't been back once.

It is not toxic, and does not hurt the cat.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/23/09 09:02 PM

http://www.cat-repellant.info/

I agree with the cold water trick too, if its not cold outside that is.

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/23/09 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Val
I have tried many things to keep them out. Cat rid spray and if I can catch them soaking them and where they are sleeping with a hose. 3 out of the 4 cats got the message and they no longer mess with our house.

Seems Val already used many things. =(
Posted By: Darkness

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/24/09 12:19 AM

Is there a plant that can repel cats? Kind of like the catnip plant attracts them?

Re: neighborhood cat issue - 07/24/09 12:38 AM

yea, the link I posted there, has a bunch of stuff, one of them was a plant I believe.
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum