Lisa Shea

A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome!

Posted By: CassandraM_89

A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 09:35 AM

This is supposed to be my mom lol

This one came out sideways so just turn your head to see it lol

Just one more that popped out of my head

Like I said in the title, critics and advice WELCOME don't be scared to voice your opinion! laugh thanks!
Posted By: **mattie**

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 10:51 AM

I love!
If I could draw like you at my age, wow!
You are truly an artist.
And this is what I would call a masterpiece of creations drawn from you!
smile

**********stars!
Keep working hard!
smile
Posted By: peepers14

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 11:42 AM

my favorite is the first one! i wish i could draw that. i could barely do stick figures.LOL
Posted By: BLR

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 01:12 PM

Real talent. The 3/4 is the best one. In the last one, study an ear. Study the construction of the ear, that will help you draw one.

All three show talent.
Posted By: Coco's Mama

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 02:08 PM

I like them all the second is my favourite with the hand, great hand, it looks a little disembodied but, most people avoid hands altogether.

A tip if I may, try to draw the hair as a shaded area not strands, areas of light and dark, it will give the picture more depth.

I like the eyes in the first pic, very nice work!!!
Posted By: kksuns

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 05:44 PM

The 2nd one is my fav too. The eyes and the hand are amazing!
I agree with BLR on the ear thing, but other than that they're all great!
Posted By: Sherby'sMom

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 06:09 PM

I think those are really good. I am an art teacher. If you, or anyone, wants to improve their artwork, I would recommend the book Drawing on the Right side of the Brain by betty edwards. There are some great exercises in there. Its good for "students" of any skill level. The suggestions really improve realism. There are a few common minor mistakes that I see hints of in the drawings, that are specifically addressed, such as proportions, and shading. One thing that I see in the first and third pics more than the 2nd, is the tendency to draw "an eye", maybe not the specific one you are looking at. You'll understand if you look up the book, the library would probably have it. KEEP DRAWING!!
Posted By: baby blue

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 06:14 PM

i like them! i draw and paint with oils. i can do pretty much anything except a human being! i applaud you clap, clap, clap!! smile

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 06:53 PM

Thanks for all the advice and for the book suggestion, I'll definitely look it up, it is difficult for me to not make them look all cartoony like the 3rd picture (I was practicing expressions like the biting lip and creased forehead lol) hard stuff!!! you can tell that I did the 3rd one just out of my head, the second and 1st I had pictures to look at and interpret in my own way. I am definitely going to take a few art classes when I go to college in the spring of next year!

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 08:45 PM

I have my B.A. in Art.

Job wise not so good, however, the experience of being part of a exhibition, and learning from real artists, Reinhard Reitzenstein and Evergon and more was so precious, I will never regret the monies I paid, I was better at painting,conceptual installations rather than drawing portraits, my worst skill I would guess, actually we never did any in school,thankfully.

So definitely keep it up, and try shading, hold you pencil like an eraser and use the sides etc. Go wild!
Posted By: Carl

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 09:05 PM

I applaud your talent, your courage to seek criticism, and your willingness to accept it, and your determination to develop your talent with skill and vision.

Sherby'sMom, that was good of you to share your expertise. And everyone had good advice, I think.

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 09:27 PM

can you post some more pictures? and do you only draw people or can ya draw anything? if you really want to try something challenging, draw a keet!

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welc - 09/04/09 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Coco's Mama
I have my B.A. in Art.

Congratulations!

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: peepers14
can you post some more pictures? and do you only draw people or can ya draw anything? if you really want to try something challenging, draw a keet!

It's SO funny that you mention that because I have actually attempted to draw a keet awhile back, I dug the old notepad out of the closet and took a pic of it with my Iphone, sorry for the bad quality laugh

I flooked on the tail though, I know there aren't THAT many feathers lol

Originally Posted By: carl
I applaud your talent, your courage to seek criticism, and your willingness to accept it, and your determination to develop your talent with skill and vision.

Thank you, I was a dancer for a few years from 14 to 18 and it taught me that criticism is to help improve you and not to hurt you or bring you down, what would the world be without criticism? Everyone should strive to be better at what they love doing I say

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/04/09 10:57 PM

Love the budgie!
It looks perfect to me--just perfect the beak a little bit.
Other than that, awesome!!
smile smile
Posted By: Sherby'sMom

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/05/09 01:36 AM

If you check out that book I'd love to know what you think, and see some pics afterwards. I know it helped my drawing. It also helps you understand how the brain works and why drawing can seem so difficult sometimes.

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/05/09 05:39 AM

I will most definitely check out the book as soon as possible smile thanks so much for the suggestion!

By the way I remembered one of you said people avoid hands so I thought I would try my hand (no pun intended) on hands lol

I took a picture of my own to get an idea, tell me watcha think!

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/05/09 01:43 PM

Good job, wow you are on a roll, and people do avoid hands.

I remember even in my high school art class, that we posed for each other and at the end the teacher said " how did you all draw these because no one has hands?" All the pics had some sort of shading or mitten like shape but just faded out at the hands it was really interesting, to see.
The next project was to draw you left hand with your right or vice versa. I think the whole class moaned simultaneously at the idea.
I bet if you take classes, and give the same amount of time to hands as the rest of the figure, you will be noticed.

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/05/09 04:46 PM

your lucky you have a gift like that

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/06/09 06:31 AM

Thanks for all the sweet comments and advice, Coco's Mama, I'll try the left hand right hand thing smile I'm curious lol

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/06/09 04:15 PM

I had a hard time, position your opposite hand for me the left, cos' i am right handed, on the paper somewhere to keep it from slipping or tape it down. LOL

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/06/09 04:18 PM

can you show us another picture?

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/06/09 09:48 PM

Ok I tried the hand thing and it looks like xxxx lol I'll try again later but here are the results os this one lol

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/06/09 11:11 PM

It does so not look like xxxx!
You should be lucky you can even draw that well!
I couldn't even draw like that and-- grr, I wish I could!!

You are getting better each day you show us the drawings!
Keep up the good work!
smile

Posted By: PDM

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/07/09 12:37 AM

Really good drawings!! smile
Posted By: PDM

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/07/09 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Sherby'sMom
If you check out that book I'd love to know what you think, and see some pics afterwards. I know it helped my drawing. It also helps you understand how the brain works and why drawing can seem so difficult sometimes.

That sounds really interesting!

Re: A few drawings I made, critics and advice welcome! - 09/07/09 01:32 PM

LOL that was a hard angle flat down like that, it reqires shading on the top of the hand to show the areas of light and dark, wow, you are not afraid of a challenge, go girly.

So let's see next assignment egg in a box. That is one of my favourites!!! You take a white card or paper and make like a corner for your egg and sit it in. then take a light and shine it at a certain side and when you are happy, you will get the egg, and it will cast a shadow on the paper and below ( it's good to have it on a white sheet of paper.) This let's you really work on shading, and you are not allowed to draw lines, just shade.

Just an idea.
© 2020 Lisa Shea Forum