Lisa Shea

4 baby keets! i have a few questions.....

Posted By: parakeetmer

4 baby keets! i have a few questions..... - 06/12/10 03:49 AM

Hi, my oldest is almost 3 weekd old and my youngest is a little over a week. The daddy keet is the common green and the mommy is light blue with light gray wings. What are the possible outcomes in the babies. What colors or mutations could they possibly have? I am very curious.
Also, how can i tell what gender they are? do i have to wait until they are older? VERY EXCITED
Posted By: illusive Fantasy

Re: 4 baby keets! i have a few questions..... - 06/12/10 05:56 AM

you have to wait months to know the gender...the keets will be looking some like mommy some like daddy or ya may get something you didnt know was in the genes that may come out...you just never know..its a cracker jacks box of surprises ...

Re: 4 baby keets! i have a few questions..... - 06/12/10 02:17 PM

is there any way to estimate what they will be because with a punnet square or something like that...if that is what it is called.....=]
Posted By: budgieluver

Re: 4 baby keets! i have a few questions..... - 06/12/10 07:54 PM

there probably is but in order to do something like that you need to know the names of the genes and whether they are recessive, dominate or a multiple recessive or dominate gene. It's very complicated and if you can figure it out GOOD JOB!

More than likely you will just have to wait and see. Keep us posted & sounds like fun!
Posted By: illusive Fantasy

Re: 4 baby keets! i have a few questions..... - 06/12/10 08:28 PM

you would need to know the background gene pool of both birds and you dont have that info...so its wait and see...and gender takes till after a full moult which is about 6-7mos of age...it shouldnt make a difference anyway. i know your wanting to find out but thats what learning patience is about.

Re: 4 baby keets! i have a few questions..... - 06/13/10 03:06 AM

thank you....i am SO EXCITED. I will post pictures soon
Posted By: Belesaria

Re: 4 baby keets! i have a few questions..... - 06/14/10 05:26 PM

I do know that green is dominant to blue, and dominant pied is dominant to other variations, so depending on whether the father had one or two parents who looked like him, your chicks will have a 50-100% chance to look like him. I would be looking for green feathers if I were you.

Example punnett squares (father on top, mother on side):

If dad had one green, dominant pied parent:

| D | r
______
r Dr rr
_
r Dr rr

If dad had two green, dominant pied parents:

| D | D
_____
r Dr Dr
_
r Dr Dr

Re: 4 baby keets! i have a few questions..... - 06/15/10 12:53 AM

wow this IS confusing...thank you! Their colors are alreadyconming...i see some yellow, blue and green! ihave another question. the oldest and the youngest all have gray down feathers...but the 3rd one has white...whyis that? His eyes arent red sohe isnt albino...he is yellow but idint think lutino...
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum