Lisa Shea

Q-Tip has a baby

Posted By: Vincent

Q-Tip has a baby - 02/12/09 06:21 PM

Yep, one of the eggs hatched today! but I'm not celebrating yet because I'm very concerned....

Blueboy went into the nest box and seemed to be going after the baby. He has NEVER gone in there before, and it didn't look like he was there to help frown

Do the males ever try to kill the babies for some reason? If I keep him away, how will he feed Q-Tip as usual?! He and Q-Tip pecked at each other a bit and then he exited but left a big mess in there and now I can see the baby is under some twigs while Q-Tip is sitting on the remaining eggs. I hope she feeds the baby soon, I'm getting concerned... but it's definitely alive, kicking its little legs...

Posted By: ___JA

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/12/09 07:54 PM

I'm not an expert at all, but I do know you may have to separate them if trouble arises, or you may need to handfeed the baby if neither parents feed it. Keep a close look out on them!
Posted By: kksuns

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/12/09 11:47 PM

**BUMP
Sorry I don't have experience with babies either frown Do you have separate cage ready in case you do have to separate them?
How are things goin with baby and parents now?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 12:00 AM

Blueboy has been in the box for a while and has been feeding Q-tip and the baby too, so I'm optimistic he's just trying to help. A friend came to watch too and thinks he's clumsily helping. If he wanted to kill the baby he could have already.... but he's not very careful and keeps stepping on it.... so, I'm still very concerned and am watching as much as possible. I do have another cage that I could use to separate them, but Q-Tip is depending on him for food, so I'm just gonna let them be and hope for the best.

what does **BUMP mean?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 12:09 AM

BUMP means Bump Up My Post. It is just a term used to bring your post up to the top of the page.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 12:21 AM

Sounds like Blueboy is tryin smile Just a clumsy new dad? I think if he's doing his job feeding mom and baby, just leave him be .
I'm hoping someone that has experience with babies and all will be on soon.
I mean it sounds normal to me what they're doing but I'd be nervous the baby was going to get hurt too.And yep, i'd be peeking every minute too smile
Hang in there grandpa!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 12:25 AM

He sounds a lot like some "human" fathers who have no idea what they're doing, but trying. Congrats!! Pop-Pop???
Posted By: BLR

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 02:27 AM

I'm so glad to hear that things are looking better. Good luck with your babies.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 02:20 PM

Thanks everyone, the baby made it thru the night and I can see it's tiny crop is filling up, so the parents seem to be doing everything correctly. Blueboy even slept in the box with them. It's bizarre, I've had the nestbox in the cage for a year and Blueboy never went inside. Even last year when he fathered a clutch with a different female, he never ever went inside to help at all. So that's why I was so concerned yesterday when he jumped into the box and Q-Tip started screaming. Now I think she's just yelling "be careful" as he comes in, but then she calms down when he feeds and grooms her. It's awkward, but very sweet.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 02:31 PM

Such good news! Thanks for the update. So glad things seem to be going well with the little family smile How many more eggs are there?
Sounds like Blueboy is taking his daddy role very seriously this time around smile Good for him not being a "deadbeat dad"!!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 03:16 PM

A deadbeat dad??? I can expect that from you Kel. LOL
I'm also glad that Blueboy is taking an active interest in his egg and not leaving it all to mom. Sounds like they're both doing well. AHHhhh parenthood.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 06:27 PM

Sounds complicated & tiring for all concerned (avian and human)! I guess Blueboy and Q-Tip are figuring things out? smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 06:40 PM

I know I for one would be a nervous wreck!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: kksuns
I know I for one would be a nervous wreck!
Oh I know ---- me, too! Vincent said (on his other thread) something like "how am I supposed to get any work done?" I would be saying that AND "how am I supposed to get any sleep?" lol Mostly I'd be hovering over the nest box, worried silly, and having an ulcer.......

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 07:48 PM

Glad to hear things are going well!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 08:03 PM

Thanks everyone... yea, it was hard to work, eat and sleep yesterday! but i'm much more optimistic now that baby has survived the night, and I can see both parents feeding it for sure.

The only way I can explain Blueboy's new eagerness to take part in feeding the baby is the fact that he was with two very different females. Last year he mated with Evee who was older and not very nice to him (plus she was very wild, i found her on the sidewalk). Now he's with Q-Tip who is younger and they seem to have a closer bond. Maybe Evee wouldn't let Blueboy inside... she certainly bit me very hard when I stupidly stuck my finger in there once!

Evee laid 7 eggs and only 1 hatched... now Q-Tip has laid 4 with 1 hatched and the rest due this weekend... so we may get more babies, we may not... we'll know soon!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 08:09 PM

Keeping fingers crossed that all 4 hatch and they are all healthy happy little fighters! Sounds like Q-T and Blueboy are great parents smile That's gotta count for something right?
Posted By: Kirby&Yoshi

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 08:44 PM

Good luck! Hopefully all of the eggs hatch and if they do you're gonna have a houseful of keets! :]

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 09:41 PM

Well that was fast... baby #2 just hatched!

A friend says I have to name it Jason since it's Friday the 13th today! LOL.
We might name one Sully after the pilot who saved the day.
Should be a fun weekend...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/13/09 10:29 PM

Hooray, one more baby! Are you gonna take pics? Little baby birdies are so cute... Whats funny is that non-bird people think they're ugly as heck!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 02:07 AM

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 02:28 AM

Oh wow! Another one ALREADY! That was fast LOL Aww sooo cute. They're so close together(in age) they look like twins smile
Thanks for the pics!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 02:49 AM

Oh WOW - thank you so much for sharing. I am so glad things are going well. Sounds like mom and dad are working together now. That is great. It will be so interesting to see what the kids look like. It probably says someplace in this thread but how many more eggs are there?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 03:06 AM

Two more. smile

Thanks for the pic, they are adorable!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 02:03 PM

I can't stop looking at the pic, it's so adorable. Everytime I look at it I say AHHHHHH.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 02:46 PM

I know, its so adorable! laugh

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 03:22 PM

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the adventure. It's so amazing to see Blueboy sleeping in there with them and each parent feeding a baby at the same time. The little chirping is adorable too.

But, it is bittersweet because last year at this time, Evee was giving birth to Ripley... the first time I ever had a pet give birth. It was beautiful and I loved them, but within 6 months both had passed away. Mom from accident, Ripley from illness. My grief is tremendous, so it's still hard for me to look at old photos and video of them, but I'm sure you guys will enjoy them:

photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/sets/72157600287793839

videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/laybackinthesun

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 03:45 PM

I'm sure you still miss them so much. They'll always be a part of you Vincent, and you were so lucky to have had them.
I thoroughly enjoyed your pics and videos. I absolutely LOVE that pic of a parakeet in flight. It's amazing, what a great shot-perfect angle. Was that Evee? What a beauty smile
It's so great to hear that mom,dad and babies are doing so well.What wonderful parents Q-T and Blueboy have turned out to be. You're a lucky man-enjoy the ride!!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 06:02 PM

P - you have to remember that it is because of Evee that you have BlueBoy and QTip - She started you on an adventure that may last a lifetime. I know you miss and grieve them but they brought you to where you are now with these wonderful little creatures.

I got out your book and went thru it again (several times) I know my feelings are nothing comparied to yours but it still makes me tear when I think about Evee and Ripley.

Having said that I want to say that I am so excited about BlueBoy and Q-tip and await further updates with abated breath.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 06:10 PM

BTW I have been meaning to ask - how is it working out with Donovan - can you leave the keets out or will Donovan make them lunch???

I know there are some on here that their cats don't seem to be a threat to their keets - but my guy (Max, the Siamese mix) is quite the hunter and would have them in a NY second.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 07:51 PM

Yep, kksuns, that picture is of Evee flying on the day I found her. I didn't have a cage yet, so I just let her fly around the loft for the first week.

BLR, it makes me sad to know that you're sad! Maybe you should give away the photo book to a child you know, or to a local classroom for educational purposes. If they don't know the keets in the pictures have passed, it won't be sad for them.

When Evee first arrived, my cat just stared and stared at her, but luckily never tried to catch her. Now, he's used to the birds and couldn't care less. I only leave the cage open when I'm home so I can monitor them, but they usualy stay way above Donovan anyway and just do a couple of laps around the loft and land back in their cage. They can fly right passed him and he won't budge, thankfully. But I'm not naive enough to think Donovan won't kill the birds in the future, so I'm careful. One day I'll live in a house with multiple rooms where I can keep them completely separated.

But I do often wonder if it would be possible to have them all be friends like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cindysweets/3049793602/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselducy/362999709/

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/14/09 08:23 PM

I just love two of your videos (from your link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/laybackinthesun) -- Q-tip doing somersaults and "me and my parakeets" --- very cute.

I really, really hope the current chicks flourish and fill your home with feathery happiness.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/16/09 05:24 PM

It looks like #3 will arrive today!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3284474157

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/16/09 05:27 PM

WOOHOO!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/16/09 06:10 PM

Woohoo from me too!! Sure looks like it's ready!
How's the little family doing?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/17/09 03:24 PM

Did #3 hatch yet?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/17/09 03:34 PM

P - we want a blow by blow of this whole adventure - never mind that you might be busy, need to earn a living or anything else - give us pictures - just kidding - not - yes just kidding - not

See the monster you have created - we want to have babies vicariously thru you - thank you sooo much for sharing.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/17/09 04:57 PM

haha, ok here's the breaking news...

The first two are doing great and growing FAST... I've been calling them the twins since they hatched within 24 hours of each other.

The third one took all day to break through the shell and I got a few pics before mom scooped it under her wing... but the next time I saw it, it wasn't moving at all, and this morning it looks like it has passed on and has been shoved aside by the parents. Once they exit for a snack I'll try to retrieve it. It's sad, but ok because I know this is very normal, and we still have 2 healthy babies to enjoy and possibly one more egg will hatch soon.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/17/09 05:24 PM

Awww man, sorry to hear about #3. But like you said it is normal and you have 2 healthy babies.
Your first 2 must be like twins! LOL Hope they end up different colors so you can tell them apart. Any clue as to color yet, or not enough feathers to tell yet? I know they gow soo fast but not sure how long it takes them to get feathers.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/17/09 05:29 PM

thanks for the update
kksuns - I think it is about 2 weeks before you can tell anything about their color. They start getting feathers about 8 days but you can't tell anything about their color.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/17/09 05:49 PM

Here's a picture of Ripley at 10 days:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/2371542247/in/set-72157600287793839/

You can see the tips of the feathers are yellow, so at about 10 days we'll have a clue to the colors.... but if they are albino like mom, we might be able to tell sooner...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/17/09 06:34 PM

Sorry to hear about little chick 3, but its good there are two healthy, happy babies!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/17/09 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin_A
Sorry to hear about little chick 3, but its good there are two healthy, happy babies!
Ditto......

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/17/09 10:30 PM

Thanks everyone... I was able to retrieve the deceased chick when Q-Tip exited to poop. It's soooooooooo tiny! It's very interesting to see the little nails, wings, etc. I'll give it a dignified burial. frown

I'll let you all know if the final egg#4 hatches...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/17/09 10:32 PM

Keep us updated! smile
Pics are always appreciated, as well. wink

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/17/09 10:51 PM

Q-Tip is usually covering them up with her wings, but here's a picture from yesterday of the three babies before the little one passed on... I think you can see that it looks rather frail:

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/18/09 01:37 AM

My gosh -- they're just so incredibly vulnerable-looking... Do they make any sounds yet?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/18/09 03:22 AM

Oh my gosh, Number 3 was so very tiny frown
Thanks so much for the updates and pics

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/18/09 03:44 PM

hi everyone, thanks for caring...

and thanks to BLR for this link to budgie breeding genetics that shows we won't have any albino babies:
http://www.budgieplace.com/gen_ino.html

baby#4 is out now and kicking, but sadly I think it's being ignored by the parents. It looks viable, but maybe they only want two babies. It's sad to see, but I've decided to let nature take its course... I'm not going to interfere and try to feed the baby myself, it's way too small and fragile.

the twins are growing and growing daily. you can see in the picture above that they are already 4x the size of the eggs they hatched from. they don't scream "feed me" all day, but when being fed they make cute joyous chirping sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-6nnQ0Urbg

I've also seen doves and finches returning to my birdfeeder, so maybe there are other birdie babies being born around here too...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/18/09 04:05 PM

It's not completely out of the question. If Blue Boy has the recessive gene you have a 50/50 chance - but is Blue Boy does not have the recessive gene you chances are 0%.

It is impossible to know if BB has the recessive gene.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/18/09 04:36 PM

Oh! I assumed that since wild budgies are exclusively green/yellow, that is dominant and the blue mutation must be recessive... so I figured Blueboy must have double-recessive blue genes.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/18/09 04:48 PM

The blue and green is related to the base color of the keet. BB has a base white where as Evee had a yellow base. If fact if BB has the rescessive albino gene and one of the babies received it the baby would be a white albino. I have no idea what you get with a albino/lutino mix - I would have to do a little research.

BB could have both the recessive white base and the albino or lutino gene because he has XX he could carry one and display the other. For a male to be albino he would have to carry the recessive albino on both XX chromosones. If he is white based you would get an albino and if he is yellow based you would get a lutino.
Posted By: Amaggiepie

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/18/09 05:01 PM

I love genetics! this is so interesting. Vincent, you dont happen to know what BBs parents looked like, do you? I guess well just ahve to wait and see if there are any little albino babies.
Posted By: pollyannie

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/18/09 06:33 PM

Babies are so exciting!
Thanks for the updates!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/19/09 04:32 PM

hi everyone,

baby4 (aka Quattro) survived the night! I definitely saw mom feed it once, but it's certainly not getting as much attention as the twins. He might make it though!

Here's a picture of the darling family after one week:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3293175476

I'll get some videos edited and online asap...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/19/09 04:38 PM

WOOHOO! Babies are so exciting. laugh
Posted By: alratcliff

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/19/09 09:44 PM

They are getting so big - i had no idea they grew that fast!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/19/09 10:04 PM

pollyannie: i'm really sorry to see your kiwi passed on recently frown

alratcliff: yep, they look almost exactly like adults after just 1 month!

everyone, here's some cool video of mom feeding baby today...
if you look closely, you can actually see the food going down the baby's throat and into its crop!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5v6kFg4Kvg

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/19/09 11:07 PM

Thankyou. Kiwi was a very special little guy.

It is a very cool video but watching the food go down is a little gross and creepy! lol

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/20/09 03:34 PM

good news first: the twins are healthy and growing and growing and growing!

sad news: baby#4 didn't make it. yesterday was rough because I could see mom wasn't feeding it and I knew it would die. So I read all I could about hand-raising chicks, but every place said you can only remove the chick to hand-raise after 14 days. They said it's impossible to raise it from day one. Some people had stories where they tried, but the babies died. So, I resigned to not even try because I didn't want the baby to die in my hands and make me feel even worse.

So, now I'll focus on the two strong babies who I already love... I'll take some new pictures this weekend.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/20/09 04:19 PM

Sorry to hear about baby #4 Vincent. frown So sad I think it was probably best to let nature take its course like you did tho. It's got to be tough losing the 2 babies you did, but I guess it's true that only the strong survive.
The other 2 sure do look healthy and strong tho! I bet they're going to be little sweeties smile
Thanks for all your updates

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/20/09 04:29 PM

Thanks, kksuns. I was debating "let nature take its course" versus "our knowledge and technology is here to save lives, so why not try?"... but my mother said that Q-Tip probably knew something about the babies that we didn't, so we should trust her judgement.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/20/09 05:16 PM

Your mother is very wise.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/20/09 07:06 PM

I agree -- that makes sense, to me...
The feeding video is awesome, by the way; it is so amazing to see the process (and the scooping of the baby under mom's wing, at the end).

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/21/09 05:23 PM

hi everyone, here's a new photo at 8-9 days... eyes opening slowly and feathers just starting to come in... and chirping getting louder! smile

Blueboy is still doing an outstanding job helping... he eats all day long; seeds, pellets, millet, plants, cuttlebone.... then drinks some water and heads back into the nest box to feed Q-Tip and the babies. I'm so proud of them all!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3297162145

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/21/09 06:01 PM

Awww -- so glad they're developing well. Pudgie sends compliments & congratulations to Blueboy and Q-Tip!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/21/09 06:22 PM

Wow, they are growing sooo fast!
Blueboy sounds like such an awesome daddy,and QT is quite the little mommy too. I'm sure you are extremely proud of both of them. I know I would be! smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/22/09 04:33 PM

Hi guys, here's some new video from this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPmmEXyow9k

You can see dad feeding mom, each parent feeding a baby, and lots of commotion!

I have to play this with the sound off or else Blueboy jumps out of the box and starts calling for his babies that he thinks must be over by my desk! smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/22/09 05:26 PM

Cute video! They have gotten so big! laugh

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/22/09 06:08 PM

I've never seen a more beautiful video. The way they are feeding each other is remarkable.There's so much attention and love on the part of mommy and daddy. Lucky little babies.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/22/09 06:47 PM

That footage is so sweet and interesting!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/22/09 10:21 PM

Awww that latest vid is just so incredibly...incredible LOL So sweet smile I for one am sooo glad you have a video camera Vincent.
Blueboy and Q-Tip are amazing parents.What lucky little babies

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/22/09 10:35 PM

This was just amazing!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 03:37 AM

The pics and video are awsome. Their little wings just flapping. Incredible footage, just incredible. Thank you so much for sharing.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 03:40 AM

I'm glad you guys like the video smile

I'm going to start handling the babies on thursday when they are 2 weeks old -- and it's also my birthday, I'll be 35 shocked

I've been reading all I can about hand feeding, but one question I have doesn't seem to be discussed: Can you BOTH hand feed the babies and still keep them with the parents?

I don't want to remove them from the parents, but I do want spend some time each day handling and feeding the babies so they get used to me. Will mom stop feeding them if I start? All the places I read only discuss removing the babies from the parents completely at 2 weeks. But do they put the babies back in the box to sleep? Questions, questions...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 03:44 AM

I don't have experience myself but I know I have read here that you can hand feed and still keep them with parents. I also saw it on a dif site. I'll see if i can find the other site.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 03:45 AM

Peter - did you hand feed Ripley - I think I remember you saying that he bonded to you quite well. I might be wrong in my attitude - but I really feel that there are things that may happen between baby and parents that are important and should be allowed to happen unless you have to hand feed for some reason.

I think just handling each day would be enough for the twins to get used to you.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 03:52 AM

I found it. Go here and look under "Taking care if chicks" and you'll see "co-parenting" . There is all sorts of info on the site if you look around. Feeding methods and supplies, socializtion.
There's even first aid for birds there somewhere. Check it out
http://www.avianweb.com/breeder.htm#chicks

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 03:56 AM

I didn't hand feed Ripley, nope, and I probably should have handled him more, but I was scared of Evee's bite! He was tame but could have been much more.

This video makes me think feeding might be a great way to bond with them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNAJZEGZPTY

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 04:01 AM

Mabe someone else can weigh in on this - but I have always found that feeding baby animals is such a full time job - and it seems that you have two parents that are more than capable.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 04:02 AM

I didn't see kksuns post before I posted - hope that site answers your questions.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 04:09 AM

That vid is so cute smile I can see why you'd want to try it. IDK tho, I'd be afraid I was doing it wrong, like I might choke them or temp of formula would be wrong. Maybe just handling them regularly would be enough? Mom and dad seem to be doing a great job in the feeding dept.
There have been a few here that had babies and they were really tame. Maybe they'll have advice.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 04:34 PM

Yea, I think that adorable handfeeding video got me too excited.... on second thought I'm not gonna handfeed them... you guys are right, since they have 2 committed parents I should let them continue the great work, and I'll just take the babies out a few times a day for handling. I can't wait!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 05:07 PM

smile As the saying goes..If it ain't broke don't fix it! LOL
Oh I can just imagine the anticipation of being able to handle them! You're doing a great job Grandpa (or is that Pop Pop?), and so is QT and B'boy. You are such a lucky guy! smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 05:19 PM

smile thanks, even though they are just a few feet away from me, I haven't seen the babies with my own eyes yet! The nestbox is in the upper corner of the cage so they feel safe, but there's no way for me to peek inside, so I've only seen them thru pictures and video like you guys!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 09:07 PM

Wow!

So does that mean that without the nest box cam, you wouldn't have known that a chick had not survived? Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but it just occurred to me that we should try to have a handle on what's going on in the nest box, but at the same time we don't want to disturb the parents and the whole process. Is this a normal dilemma for people who breed their keets?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 09:30 PM

The top of the nestbox opens up, but because of where I placed it in the cage's upper corner, it only opens just enough for me to fit my small camera in to take still pictures... and I can reach my hand in, but can't see what I'm doing unless I look at the video feed (which is how I removed the dead chicks).

I agree it's important to know what's happening inside... and I knew I'd be watching all day with the night-vision camera... but I suspect I was silly to place the box so high... other breeders likely keep the box lower down where they can see and reach inside. I'm thinking of lowering mine slightly in a few days when I start handling them.

The two babies are always wrestling each other! smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 09:44 PM

here's a photo of the box and camera from last year... it looks the same now... you can see how much/little the lid opens because of where I placed it:

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 09:59 PM

Oh, I see. Maybe your set-up is better than others, since it's less intrusive? smile

I found a camera that I think is similar to yours and I'm thinking of buying it to see what Pudgie does after I cover her cage, and when we're not here. Maybe that's just Nosy-Cam? lol The problem is that if we're not home, how do I watch the footage...

Anyway --- sounds as though you are well on your way to becoming an expert on keet breeding (a second career?).

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 10:07 PM

I was away on vacation for a few days last month while Q-Tip was laying eggs, so I tried to make the nestbox video camera into a "webcam" so I could watch while I was away. But the best I could figure out was a way to get my iphone to display what my home computer displays. So, i left my computer on, connected to it with my iphone, and I WAS able to watch Q-Tip while I was away... I felt like I was in Star Trek!

Still, I'd like to find a way to make my computer accept the nestbox camera as a "webcam" so I could broadcast the live feed to the world... I'll keep researching that.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 10:59 PM

There is a website that has live feed of an eagle nest.
This is the LINK.
Maybe ask them how they do it or try other sites that are similar.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/23/09 11:10 PM

Cool, Pollyannie!

But what's an iphone? Just kidding... Well, I'll look into this idea...and please let us know if your research proves fruitful, Vincent.

And speaking of Star Trek, I wish someone would invent a replicator ("Tea, Earl Grey, hot" -- "Budgie treats, free, now!")!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/25/09 02:59 PM

"hello, world"

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/25/09 03:04 PM

Oh my GAWD!!!!!! Hes so cute!!!!! Looks like hes gonna be blue! Taking after his daddy. AWWWWWWW!

That pic is priceless!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/25/09 03:14 PM

OMG!!!!! He's in your hand!! Yaaaay!!! And he is soooo cute smile I think h/she looks like he's gonna be blue too
Big congrats on finally holding them!!! Very cool!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/25/09 03:46 PM

Yep, thanks! First time out of the box... so tiny and precious and fragile... I only held it for a minute, gave it a kiss and put it back in the box. The parents are outside the box much more now, I guess the chicks don't need to be kept as warm anymore. They are strong enough now to walk around and hold their heads up. You can see the eyes just opened and the feathers are coming in... looks painful, right? One is slightly bigger than the other, so I can tell which is older... maybe later today I'll take them both out for a picture together... I just don't want mom to return to an empty box and get upset.

smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/25/09 04:29 PM

I am speechless and breathless - thank you for sharing.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/25/09 04:36 PM

Yes those feathers coming in sure do look painful. If not painful then certainly very uncomfortable LOL I've never been even close to a chick so young. Do they feel pokey?
Simply amazing smile
How did mom/dad react to your having their baby out?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/25/09 07:57 PM

I love love love the picture!
Posted By: pinksnowme

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/25/09 08:52 PM

I love your baby q-Tip! laugh

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/26/09 01:04 AM

How adorable! Such big feet for such a tiny creature! Thanks for posting the pic.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/26/09 03:38 PM

I'm glad you're all enjoying the photos... I just did a proper photo shoot with my good camera:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3311850160
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3311850154

They are so sweet and curious already. I wait until mom and dad are out of the box and then I carefully take out the babies... just like Pudgie's Mom noticed, their feet are really big, I suspect fully grown already, and they like to grab onto your fingers just like human babies like to squeeze. That actually makes it a little difficult to put them back in the box because they cling to my fingers. smile

I show Q-Tip and Blueboy that I'm not hurting the babies, but who knows if they understand... they seem to be watching closely, but they are not agitated or chirping in anger... they are just watching. After a couple of minutes, the babies start to whimper, so I put them back in the box and mom comes to sit with them again.

I just cancelled a weekend trip because I wanna be here handling the babies every single day during this crucial month of development and imprinting. I'm enjoying every minute...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/26/09 03:46 PM

I had just logged out and noticed you had posted again Vincent, so of course i had to come back! LOL
Those latest pics are priceless! They both look so sturdy and strong..not to mention totally adorable. I've always loved the big little birdy feet on the babies too. I remember telling Levi- Oh my what BIG feet you have! But that's ok, you'll grow in to them some day. And of course he did LOL
Don't blame ya for canceling that trip, you are so right about these first couple months being so important.
Posted By: NanaT

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/26/09 04:28 PM

On the 12 of Feb. my husband found 2 eggs in my birds cage. They were on the floor of the cage as there was no nesting box attached. Both were broken. I have 3 birds and I'm not sure who produced the eggs. I know I have 1 male for sure but the other 2 I can't tell. I put a nesting box on the cage. Will the hen lay more eggs or is that it?
Can anyone help? I'm new at this!

I have re-posted this here:
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=353959&#Post353959
PDM smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/26/09 04:33 PM

Hi Teana. Im not really a breeding expert, but you should probably start a new thread with this. I will PM PDM to have her move it. Then more people will see it.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/26/09 07:21 PM

OMG!
Those pictures are just wonderful.
I love the first one. The bird on top has such intellegent eyes! He was looking right at you.
What sweeties!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/27/09 02:47 PM

hi everyone! here's a new picture of the protective parakeet parents:

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/27/09 03:32 PM

Vincent, I had missed this since the babies were born! What cute little puff bundles they are! I went back and looked at all your pictures in that album. You certainly have many very nice photographs. I particularly like the Cooper's Hawk with airborne poop! LOL Wonderful photographer!!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/27/09 07:34 PM

Thanks, Caribbean Mom, I appreciate the compliment. And good timing because I ran into that Cooper's hawk again today... then he got too close to one of the local Peregrine Falcons who came to chase it away. I posted pictures in the usual spot here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent

I take pictures of sweet loving parakeets most of the day, but during my lunch break I photograph wild raptors hunting and killing... it's a strange mix!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/27/09 07:47 PM

That pic would make a gorgeous locket to wear around the neck.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/28/09 05:20 PM

Here's a fluffy baby at 16 days smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/28/09 05:48 PM

Just beautiful - I can imagine how much you are enjoying this. I asked my husband if he wanted to have keet babies - he said no - well actually he said NO. So I told him I would just have to vicariously enjoy having baby keets thru you.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Again - just beautiful.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/28/09 06:33 PM

smile Thanks, yea, I'm enjoying every minute because I know in just a few more weeks they will be fully grown and the baby adventure will be over. It's really nice to know you guys appreciate the photos and like to follow the story, so thanks!

I usually wait until Q-Tip exits the box before I take out the babies, but today I tried reaching inside while mom was still there, and luckily she didn't scream or bite me... I held them for 10 minutes, put them back, and then mom fed them, so it's good to see she's not upset by the giant intruder (me).

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/28/09 06:56 PM

that's what I told my husband - that in about a month they are no longer babies - kinda like kittens and puppies

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/28/09 08:12 PM

Cuter and cuter every day smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 02/28/09 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BLR
... I would just have to vicariously enjoy having baby keets thru you.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Again - just beautiful.
Ditto, ditto, ditto. smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/03/09 07:11 PM

hi everyone, here's the latest picture at 18 days:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3324150752

the birdies are still growing and the parents are still feeding them. mom and dad are also often preening the babies' incoming feathers, and the babies even preen each other now. i can see they will definitely vary in their colors... one has more blue on the wings, the other has more black on the head...

i try to hold them 3-4 times a day for about 10 minutes at a time... after that they start to whimper so I bring them back to mom. funny thing is, they whimper much quicker when they are outside together, so I usually take them out one at a time and they seem more comfortable and curious when alone...

one cute thing is that dad likes to sit in the nestbox opening, peering outside... which means there's no way for mom to exit... so she pecks at dad's butt, tries to shove him aside, but he won't budge until he's ready! smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/03/09 07:17 PM

does one have a little yellow like mom - it looks like mabe it does. They are presious - again thank you for sharing. Such a wonderful experience.

Obvisouly BB wants Q to be a stay at home mom. smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/03/09 07:38 PM

hmmm, I don't see any yellow yet... remember mom is albino, so she doesn't have any yellow at all, but sometimes i see pale blue if light hits her tail feathers in the right way...

I should also mention that the babies have a wonderful smell... despite being in the box for 3 weeks with poop and egg shells, they smell so clean and fresh... not like a human baby with powder... hard to explain, but i like it smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/03/09 07:41 PM

I know what you are talking about - the same with puppies and kittens - they have a wonderful smell.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/03/09 07:42 PM

Oops - fogot - I was thinking of my lutino.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/03/09 08:08 PM

here's a new shot I just took... finally looking like a bird instead of a dinosaur smile
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3325861675

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/03/09 08:12 PM

they grow up so fast - just adorable.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/03/09 09:24 PM

Too, too cute -- little fluffy-butt! And he's reading books already, too -- excellent! smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/03/09 09:32 PM

too too cute. can't wait to see the next update already lol

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/04/09 08:41 PM

hello baby budgie fans, here's today's update!

you can see both babies will be blue, but in different places...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3329323600
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3328482625

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/04/09 08:51 PM

I find it interesting that their beaks are different colors.

Absolutely adorable - thank you so much for sharing. I bet they are such a joy.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/04/09 09:03 PM

the one with the black beak is a day or so younger than the other, so the black will soon fade to the normal orange/yellow color. smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/04/09 10:35 PM

ahhh -forgot about the difference in their age.
Posted By: Babies and Birds

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/04/09 11:13 PM

Awww, so cute, thanks for sharing these. smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/06/09 05:42 PM

TGIF, here's a photo from this morning, 22 and 21 days old:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3333673052

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/06/09 06:02 PM

Absolutely Adorable!!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/06/09 06:40 PM

Oh man they are sooo cute! Kinda cool that they are so much alike but then unique in their own way. I never knew they might start with an ALL black beak. That's neat smile
How do they like being handled?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/06/09 08:25 PM

Oh they are SO cute! Do they recognise you? Is Q-Tip ok with you handling them?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/06/09 08:30 PM

Thank you so much for keeping us with you on this journey.
The picture is very creative and extremely cute.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/06/09 08:35 PM

so cute. thanks for keeping us all up to date with how they are doing and growing. since my hubby wont let us hatch any i can live vicariously through yours
Posted By: 4354

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/06/09 09:07 PM

beautiful little keets

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/07/09 11:58 PM

thanks everyone, the babies are both doing great, i'm gonna decide on names soon.

the parents don't spend all day in the box anymore, they only go inside to feed the babies, then back outside to preen and congratulate each other. when I reach in to take the babies, the parents certainly watch me, but they aren't panicked anymore... no yelling, and when I'm gone they return to their preening.

the babies both seem to enjoy coming out of the box and exploring the couch... when they are in the box they are either sleeping or flapping or trying to reach the exit... in one more week they should be big enough to leave for good. the younger one still whimpers after a few minutes so i put him back in the box to relax, but the older one seems happy to climb all over me and nibble on my ear. i think we're gonna be best friends smile

Posted By: Babies and Birds

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/08/09 12:34 AM

Awww, so precious! You going to breed enough to share w/ the rest of the class? wink

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/08/09 01:24 AM

They are just way too cute! The look so darn snuggly and kissable smile Bet they are going to be major sweethearts.
Thanks so much for all your pics and updates. I look forward to them every day!
Posted By: choirmom

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/08/09 04:42 AM

This is the first time I've seen baby parakeets. Very cute! Wish my birds were raised by you. Hand-fed! No wonder they love you so much.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/08/09 05:12 AM

Oh they are so adorable!! I wish I could have babies but I just know I don't have the time to put into it. Not to mention I would need at least one female keet! LOL Maybe someday

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/09/09 02:07 AM

Charming pics (as usual), adorable budgies (as ever), and thanks for sharing (as always)!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/09/09 03:08 AM

Just adorable - thank you

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/09/09 09:41 PM

I'm not gonna argue with you guys -- they ARE adorable!

Here's a picture from today, 24/25 days old:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3341764511

You can see that the nest boxes are made with the hole at the perfect height... the baby a cannot exit until it is big enough. If the hole was too low, they might fall out too soon.

Oh, and we have names -- for now we're guessing the older one is male and the younger is female:

Mr. Feathers is the oldest and a definite mix of mom and dad with asymmetrical splotches of blue and white.

Blueberry is the baby, and very obviously smaller that her sibling... i think she'll be a clone of daddy -- more stripes and completely blue. Even though she's younger, that's her in the photo trying to be the first one to exit. smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/09/09 09:47 PM

That pic of Blueberry is precious. I have run out of adjectives. Thank you for every update. Is Mr. Feathers showing signs of male? Blueberry looks like he has a blue cere.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/09/09 09:54 PM

Both of their ceres look pink one day and purple/blue the next... Ripley had a pink cere for a few months, then it suddenly turned blue... so I'm not gonna try to guess yet... Blueberry is a unisex name and Mr. Feathers can be Lil Miss Feathers if necessary smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/10/09 02:35 AM

One more awwwww
And I love the names you came up with smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/10/09 02:45 AM

BTW - you avatar is great - the best of two of your worlds

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/10/09 04:30 AM

BTW - you avatar is great - the best of two of your worlds
Well-said (and I agree)!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/11/09 03:40 PM

Me too smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/11/09 04:41 PM

More pics please.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/11/09 05:56 PM

It's not like you have a life or a job or anything - but you do know that your first responsibility is to give us pics. We are out here starving for baby pics.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/11/09 06:03 PM

Ditto that. PICS PLEASE!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/11/09 07:39 PM

LOL, you guys are more demanding than the baby keets! wink

Here's a picture from yesterday -- Mr. Feathers at 26 days old saying hello to my niece, Rose:

I've been saying "Hello" repeatedly to both babies since they hatched, so hopefully they will learn to talk... sometimes it seems like they are trying to repeat "Hello" but I'm not sure...

Currently the parents are waiting outside of the box, trying to lure the babies out. They take peeks at the world, but haven't made the step to the perch yet... any moment now though...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/11/09 07:45 PM

will they perch on your finger yet -

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/11/09 07:58 PM

AWWWWWW! SO CUTE!

I am so jealous!!!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/11/09 08:15 PM

They like to grasp my fingers, but they aren't great at balancing yet so I need to support them a bit. It's amazing to see how calm they are in my hands, compared to Q-Tip who will sit on my finger, but is always looking for an escape route. Blueboy won't let me anywhere near him. But when Ripley was around and landed on my head and shoulders, Blueboy used to follow him to me, so I'm hoping that will happen again this year.

Mr. Feathers looks like a blue keet that someone spilled bleach on by accident. smile

Here's a photo from 5 minutes ago:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3347717920

Posted By: Caninerz

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/12/09 05:27 AM

They are just toooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/12/09 05:31 AM

Gotta tell you - I laughed out loud with joy seeing them out of the nest for the first time.

thank you

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/12/09 12:56 PM

OMG Vincent, they are sooo adorable! How can you stand it!? I'd want to be holding them every minute! I thought the same thing about Mr Feathers looking like he had bleach spilled on him LOL They are both beautiful.
Your niece Rose is quite the cutie too BTW smile
Yes, I guess we are kind of demanding huh? We are all living vicariously through you when it comes to these lil babies! You've been great about it! Thanks so much Keep em comin!! haha

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/12/09 01:53 PM

It's nice to know you guys are following along -- that was actually Blueboy, the dad, in yesterday's photo trying to lure Mr. Feathers out... but neither of the babies has left on their own yet... maybe today! I do take them out to handle a bit, but I'm waiting for them to exit the box on their own to know when they are old enough to finally remove the nest box.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/12/09 06:02 PM

It's Blue Man Group!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/12/09 06:10 PM

OMG What a great pic!!!!! You have great timing smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/12/09 08:39 PM

excellent - precious - beautiful- exciting I could go on and on.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/12/09 09:26 PM

smile thanks -- i'm looking forward to taking a picture of all four family members together on a branch...

...and then skateboarding lessons like these daredevils!:
http://tvisier.blogspot.com

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/12/09 11:43 PM

Oh I have to doubt you will have wonderful pictures of your babies.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/14/09 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Vincent

It's Blue Man Group!
LOL!!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/14/09 04:28 PM

Here's a photo from yesterday:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3354146536

They still haven't left the box on their own, they just sit on the edge all day and contemplate it... the parents try to lure them out with chirping and flapping, but the babies wanna be babies for a little bit longer. smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/14/09 06:08 PM

oh it just warms my heart - thank you

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/14/09 06:51 PM

Mine too BLR smile And I just can't get over that cute little black beak

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/14/09 07:37 PM

They look like adults now!! Well, except the cute black beak! lol
I have really enjoyed watching the progress so thank you so much for keeping us updated!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/14/09 09:17 PM

So cute and what a great pic -- cuddled up together.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/14/09 09:46 PM

Thanks everyone -- yep, they do look like adults already, it's amazing. But they still act like babies... they just wanna squish into a corner... or my pocket smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/14/09 10:19 PM

oh Peter - you make me chuckle to myself - such pleasure. Just too cute.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/14/09 11:13 PM

Oh, Now THAT is precious! They are going to be so darn lovable!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/16/09 12:57 PM

love the pics -- too cute

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/16/09 05:38 PM

hi everyone, here's the newest picture at 30/31 days:

The blue babies are still just sitting on the edge of the box, refusing to jump... mom and dad still come to feed them, but they only do for a few seconds and then they jump away, hoping the babies will follow... but they don't, they just whimper to be fed again... so spoiled! I hope they jump soon... when I take them and place them on the perch next to the box opening, they seem off-balance and then scurry back into the box... so I guess they are not ready yet... but according to what I've read, they should be out by now...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/16/09 05:50 PM

Hey - comme on if you had two dotting parents catering to your every need would you leave before you had to. It will probably be BB that says OK thats it find your own place -

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/16/09 06:15 PM

True smile

I had some friends over yesterday to watch the babies make the leap... we cheered, "Jump! Jump! Jump!" and Mr. Feathers flapped his wings and looked like he was gonna do it... but then he chickened out.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/16/09 06:31 PM

you know it is going to happen when you are not watching - it always works out that way. I do sincerely hope you get that picture.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/16/09 08:05 PM

Lol -- maybe they don't want to leave the nest box because they have Nintendo, computers, cell phones, etc. in there -- why leave? :P

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/17/09 10:05 PM

Haha, you're right... I took away their Nintendo and it worked!

flap, flap, flap:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3364046556/

jump, and... splash!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3364046564/

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/17/09 10:28 PM

Yahooo! OMG that is just soo cool! And ya got a picture! I can't believe how excited I am! LOL whoopee!! mark it on the calendar!
Which one is that?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/17/09 10:35 PM

smile yep, it's exciting -- that's Mr. Feathers -- I heard a splash and saw him sitting in the water dish -- then he flew around the cage a bit, ate some seeds, then flew back into the box. A minute later he sat on the edge flapping again and jumped down to a branch, then back to the box again -- the parents were so excited, flapping and cheering and flying in circles.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/17/09 11:22 PM

How exciting!
Whs Blueberry watching?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/18/09 02:38 AM

OH WOW - thank you, thank you - great pic of the wing flap - Ok next is blueberry.

You think in a day or to blueberry will take the plunge?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/18/09 02:51 AM

That is just so cool! And the parents got all excited, too? Interesting!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/18/09 11:41 AM

Too Koolcool

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/18/09 02:18 PM

Thanks everyone, here's a picture from this morning:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3364791043/

Mr. Feathers (who is already bigger than both parents) jumped in and out of the box a few times yesterday, and in the evening Blueberry followed -- I didn't see him jump, but I saw him climbing on the ladder, curiously pecking at some toys, and chatting with his dad. Then he flew back into the box as well. I'm gonna remove the box today, it's dirty in there and they are done!

The parents are definitely noticeably excited... we have a big cage and I leave the door open, but they usually stay inside... but when the babies look like they are gonna jump, the parents fly out of the exit and land on top of the cage above the babies... they flap and chirp and fly in circles above the cage... I interpret it as, "c'mon, follow us, let's go!" smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/18/09 02:22 PM

The both look so young and fresh and beautiful. I bet they smell wonderful also. It will be so exciting when they take their first flight.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/18/09 04:15 PM

Yep, they smell so fresh and clean, it's really special. They've been flying around the cage but haven't exited yet even though both big doors are open. Probably because they just discovered millet!

Now my challenge is to keep them tame and quiet while their parents encourage them to fly away and squawk... wish me luck!

Here's another picture from today... Blueberry's first time eating seeds smile
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3365857588

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/18/09 04:34 PM

Well the one thing you have going for you is that they are VERY familiar with you. Good luck

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/18/09 08:33 PM

Thanks smile

Here's the proud mother with her two babies:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3366400134/

After an hour of flying and exploring, they went back to the cage to nap the rest of the day. smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/18/09 09:01 PM

The parents are definitely noticeably excited... we have a big cage and I leave the door open, but they usually stay inside... but when the babies look like they are gonna jump, the parents fly out of the exit and land on top of the cage above the babies... they flap and chirp and fly in circles above the cage... I interpret it as, "c'mon, follow us, let's go!" smile
Really interesting!
As always, love all the pics...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/18/09 09:22 PM

what a darling picture - mom is certainly keeping an eye on you and that one-eyed thing you are holding

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/19/09 05:09 AM

Lolz. Bluebarry is my fav! But they are both wonderful!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/20/09 02:29 PM

Thanks everyone...
here's the first family portrait, all four of the flock in one photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3369756501

blueboy is molting now, so he's looking a bit scruffy there. the babies are enjoying learning to fly around the loft and are already pretty good at navigating! I'll try to get some in-flight photos...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/20/09 02:39 PM

What a beautiful family! I just love it!
I can't believe they're flying around already! WOW!!
And BTW-they might be "birds" now but you will always think of them as "the babies" smile
Good luck with the in flight pics. That would be awesome!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/20/09 03:47 PM

they are beautiful birds. thank your for taking the time to share this amazing process with us all. it has been a pleasure watching them grow from the very beginning to now!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/20/09 04:13 PM

Oh buy don't stop now Vincent! We want to see them all grow old together! lol

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/20/09 05:43 PM

oh yes by NO means did I mean stop sharing LOL

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/20/09 05:51 PM

They are soooo gorgeous, DON'T STOP SHARING

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/20/09 09:02 PM

That is a great family picture!
Q-tip is the "oddball"! lol

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/21/09 12:04 AM

I never really comment here but I check in all the time...and I agree, Vincent, we need pics for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Muahahahahahahahaha....ok, Not really, but don't stop posting....!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/21/09 04:44 PM

no problem, i'll still stop by here to share photos with you all smile

here's the family enjoying lunch together:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3373256790/

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/21/09 08:12 PM

It's not every day you can get the whole family to sit down for a meal together. LOL
Vincent, is that dish connected to the end of that perch? Looks pretty neat

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/21/09 08:29 PM

no problem, i'll still stop by here to share photos with you all smile

here's the family enjoying lunch together:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3373256790/

Awwwwwwwwwww -- adorable. smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/21/09 09:04 PM

yeah, i was lucky to get the whole flock at the same dish. we have two of those, they're called "coconut cups". i like how they look, and less seeds fall out of the cage because it's a few inches inside. here's a link: http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/bird/bowls-feeders/105808.asp

(i'm not endorsing that site, it just came up in google)

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/21/09 09:11 PM

Cool, thanks

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/21/09 09:13 PM

here's the cage setup -- the main big cage on the right -- a smaller one on the left with millet inside, to give them somewhere to visit. the bird calendar on the wall was a gift, it plays bird sounds for the keets to sing along. you can see they've eaten the ends off of most of the plants leaves. one keet is on top of the cage, one is inside, and the other two were above my head.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/21/09 09:39 PM

The main cage looks so light and airy. So the smaller cage is their vacation cottage? lol That calendar sounds wonderful.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/26/09 06:04 AM

Vacation Cottage? LOLZ

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/26/09 03:06 PM

Peter -

I know that your dream is to have a house - my dream is to have a loft. You have a loft, I have a house - go figure.

I love you loft.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/27/09 08:24 PM

hi everyone, above is a recent picture of the babies... i'm still trying to get some in-flight pictures to share.

like newborn human babies, the keets want to put everything in their mouths, they are curiously biting on everything around... especially my earlobes! thankfully it doesn't hurt... and I just keep in mind that they don't have hands, so this is their way of checking everything out. i'm just concerned about electrical cords...

mr feathers is bigger than both of the parents and he seems to be taking charge of the flock... shoving everyone else out of his way. they all definitely have the flock mentality -- when one eats, they all eat... when one flies, they all fly... when one sleeps, they all sleep. and, i'm happily surprised that they are a very quiet flock. Blueboy squawks, but QTip rarely makes a peep and the babies seem to be taking after mom.

LOL, as I was just typing, Blueberry flew out of the cage and onto my shoulder... here's here right now! He's turned out to be the most affectionate and comes over to me on his own, which I gotta say, is a true joy! He either loves me, or the seeds I keep handy on my desk. wink

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/27/09 08:32 PM

They are both so adorably cute! They're so healthy and happy looking smile You've done a terrific job with them Vincent. It must be so cool watching them discover the world.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/27/09 08:44 PM

Thanks! smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/27/09 08:50 PM

I'm in love.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/27/09 09:00 PM

what little beauties - are they looking two little boys?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/27/09 09:05 PM

i think so... blueberry i'd bet is a boy... mr feathers is questionable... could be miss feathers...

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/27/09 09:07 PM

That pic is just incredibly sweet.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/27/09 11:42 PM

Finally some flying pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3390329565
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3390329563

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/27/09 11:51 PM

Just beautiful - thank you

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/28/09 12:00 AM

Look at me, I can fly!!!!!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/28/09 01:33 AM

Amazing! They're just so beautiful in flight smile How the heck do you get shots like that?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/28/09 11:58 PM

I've missed so much, but I just caught myself up. They have turned out to be quite the little handsome devils!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/29/09 06:09 PM

Thanks, everyone. It's not easy to get the flying shots... for every good one, there are 20 bad ones... basically I just wait until they are in flying mode and I grab my camera, aim at a spot, and wait for the keets to fly into view.

Here's a new photo of Blueberry on a table-top perch I bought yesterday... it's actually a candle holder, not meant for keets at all... but it caught my eye as perfect for the birds... 3 elevated shallow dishes for seeds, and a bowl on the bottom to catch the empty shells and poops:

Posted By: Kirby&Yoshi

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/29/09 06:29 PM

Haha what a creative idea. They are quite adorable!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/29/09 06:31 PM

Nice find! Looks like Blueberry is enjoying it! smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/29/09 07:10 PM

Thats a great idea! Lol, to have such creatures as these you have to get creative!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/29/09 08:41 PM

Great pic of Blueberry - well you are officially totally bitten by the keet bug - your decor is keet oriented. Not that it wasn't before but what a geat idea. Look what Evee created - I am so happy for you.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/29/09 08:46 PM

Thanks BLR smile

I got it at Target so you guys can surely find it too.

Here's another new one -- blueberry sleeping:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3396520078/

today it hit me that all of my pets are blue because my cat is a russian blue smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/29/09 08:54 PM

Awww, thats such a cute pic! I love it. smile
And thats cool that all your pets are blue lol, my favorite color is blue! Someday perhaps. smile

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/29/09 09:09 PM

thanks smile

I just made blueberry pose for another picture -- here's the other candle holder I bought yesterday, filled with seeds instead of candles:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doubleagent/3395773471/

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/29/09 09:13 PM

Hi Vincent
I went throught your photos of Donavan. I cried a little because my favorite cat in the world was a dark grey/blue. RIP Mrs' Gato.
You have an amazing talent with photography! You captured all the shadows and emotions so perfectly. What camera and shutter speeds do you use?

How do you keep Donavan away from the parakeets?

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/29/09 10:30 PM

Thanks, pinksnowme, I appreciate it -- I have a Canon 20D, and I usually just use the pre-set 'portrait' setting. Sorry about Mrs. Gato -- cute name frown I hope she lived a long life. Donovan will be 11 next month and I don't wanna think about life without him.

Luckily, Donovan is the kind of cat that gets bored with things quickly. So when I first found a parakeet on the sidewalk and brought it home, Donovan went crazy trying to get to it. But after a few weeks, he stopped caring... and when the babies came I made sure he saw and smelled them often, so he wouldn't be curious about them for long. These days he rarely even turns his head if they fly by -- and when they do I'm always there to keep an eye on him. He also spends most of the day sleeping in the bathroom on the clothes dryer, so they are in different rooms.

I'm also lucky that the birds seem happy to just do laps around my loft and only land on their cage -- it's very rare that they land anywhere else -- and anywhere they might land is out of reach of the cat (and me). But they usually stay inside the cage anyway, even when the door is open. When I'm not home I close them in the cage of course.

BUT, I would certainly advise anyone else to NOT keep cats and birds together -- I know if anything happens it will be my fault for being naive.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/29/09 10:36 PM

What a vibrant blue Blueberry is. I love your ideas with the candle holders.

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/30/09 12:11 AM

...you are officially totally bitten by the keet bug - your decor is keet oriented...
Hilarious! Just hilarious! smile

The candle-holders-as-playgyms/feeding stations idea is brilliant! "For the sophisticated and unpretentious budgie, simple yet stunning, for keetie decor with understated elegance..." (Where's Coco's Mama? She's really good at that sort of thing!)

I don't want to be a downer but is the bowl part okay for them to chew on? Mainly I mean in terms of toxicity for them, but also I guess for asthetics for you. They might start a new art trend -- the chewed-on wood look!

Trying to restrain myself from going to Target store --- arrgg!!

You know, Bird Talk magazine has a page every month with birdy-related products for people (vases, spoons, nightlights, and so forth), as well as many pages with products for birds. I bet those candle holders would sell out in a heartbeat if you put your pics in the mag (but Target should pay you well for that! lol).

[May I ask, is your screen name in reference to the Vincent motorcycles? smile ]
Posted By: tweetymom

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/30/09 06:42 AM

I have two cats and four parakeets and my precious 17 year old dog Merlin. I use twist ties to hold the cage doors closed because I figure that they might survive if the cage were knocked dowm but certainly not if the cage doors cane open! Of course I do not leave the cats in the house when I am not home. But the cats pretty much ignore the birds unless they want my attention. They are very smart. They know that even looking at the birds is not allowed, and also the quickest way to get my attention!

Re: Q-Tip has a baby - 03/30/09 06:52 PM

BLR: Thanks as always smile

Pinksnowme: I don't know about the toxicity of the wooden bowl so I just won't let them chew on it. I doubt they'll use the feeding station unless I bring them over to it and then I'll just monitor them. Plus, they aren't really into shredding things, luckily.

"Vincent" is what I named the parakeet I found a few years ago before I learned it was a female and changed the name to Evee. I joined this forum to ask for advice after finding the bird and used "Vincent" as my nickname... and it just stuck.. and now I enjoy having an alter-ego for chatting here. I took "Vincent" from the old Don McLean song about Vincent Van Gogh.

tweetymom: I think another reason my cat doesn't care about the birds is because he's always been an indoor cat exclusively... so he has no experience hunting birds or rodents. Does yours hunt songbirds outdoors?

© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum