Lisa Shea

want to stop mating fever help!

Posted By: val313

want to stop mating fever help! - 09/24/07 02:50 AM

Peeps is now in the breeding mode and she is acting crazy. I have heard that if you decrease the time they are awake it will help curb the frenzy. Is this true? If I put her to bed earlier will it help her get over this sooner? She is very destructive and is frantically trying to get Louie and me (eek) to mate with her. How long does this last in females?
Posted By: brittany98

Re: want to stop mating fever help! - 09/24/07 11:57 PM

ummm...ew, trying to mate with you? yee-ugh.

okay, i heard that too, but i dont know if that is true. you'll have to wait till more posts come.
also, do you have any toys in her cage that remind her of a nest and/or a peice of nesting material? take it out if you do.

give em all kisses for me, k? they are really cute!

Re: want to stop mating fever help! - 09/25/07 01:34 AM

I know it is freaking me out. She is usually a great bird but she is so frantic right now that I am worried.
Posted By: jaykelvik

Re: want to stop mating fever help! - 09/25/07 11:13 AM

ok to tyry and stop her from this condition remove anything she can chew on such as paper at the bottom of the cage ect bird tend to gnaw at anything at this stage all so the hole light thing is true so try to keep her inactive (less daylight)

hope ive helped

Re: want to stop mating fever help! - 09/25/07 11:01 PM

I took everything away and she stopped eating. Silly bird. So upon talking with a one of the Animal Keepers at work I have had to change things around.
Louie cannot be in the same room and she has to go to bed really early. I put the paper back in so she wouldnt start picking her feathers. We will see. Thanks for the suggestions Jay. I will keep up the less daylight thing.
Posted By: jaykelvik

Re: want to stop mating fever help! - 09/26/07 04:10 PM

ok no problems glad i could help
Posted By: big bad momma

Re: want to stop mating fever help! - 10/31/07 11:59 PM

don't take away her toys,only remove anything that could put her in an breeding or egg laying mode.glad you removed paper because they tear the paper up trying to make a nest.also watch her make sure is isn't climbing in her feeding dish and acting like she siting on eggs.do not have her in bright lights,that help to set the mood for mating.her cere should be tan or brown if she's in breeding mode if not then try moving her to a new location,by placing her in a different cage.good luck.

Re: want to stop mating fever help! - 11/01/07 12:28 AM

bbm- Thank you! Peeps is doing great now. She laid 6 eggs which I am sure you read about. I took her plastic cage balls and penguin away since she was trying to hatch them. Then I changed her cage around. She passed all the egg except 1. It has been 6 days since her last egg so she is finished with the madness. Now it is getting her fattened up again. Thankfully she never expressed an intrest in the eggs she laid. I am removing them tommorrow. Right now she is sitting here watching me type. Thank you for your suggestions you have been very helpful.
Posted By: Mandy's mom

Re: want to stop mating fever help! - 11/01/07 09:53 PM

rearrange cage
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum