Lisa Shea

Lovebird problem

Posted By: Kirby&Yoshi

Lovebird problem - 09/26/11 01:30 AM

My one lovebird absolutely loves to pick up the water bowl and slam it down, causing the water to all spill out and then get the papers wet which creates a horrible smell. I don't know what to do to make her stop emptying out the water dish, because they're left with no water when she does that and I'm out and about.
Posted By: illusive Fantasy

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/26/11 02:02 AM

try getting one of those bird baths that attach to the cage and look like a swimming pool...

like this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lixit-Quick-Lock...=item2c5f0bb4ff

that should fix it ...or you may have to use a glass water fountain like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPBA335BIRD-SEED...=item5645bd3f20

which is what i use

Posted By: pepperandrocky

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/26/11 04:35 AM

I don't have a link for it but you could also use one of those water bottle feeders like gerbils and such use. They say to place it right above their current water dish and they will be inquisitive and touch it and see that they can get water from it. You're supposed to leave a bit of water in their water dish til they learn how to use them.

Just do a search for water bottles for birds and you should find it.
Posted By: kksuns

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/26/11 11:57 AM

Hey pepper, good idea placing the water bottle/silo above water dish. Never thought of that.
Maybe my dummy would get the hint it is for DRINKING out of..not a foot bath! lol

Good idea using one of those attached birdbaths too illusive. No way they could flip one of those.

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/26/11 11:59 AM

no they wont flip it but still may have water all over if they decided to sleep in it or whatever lol
Posted By: tessboss

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/26/11 12:13 PM

I can't find a better water system either. I have used the glass water fountain and Bob stuffs the opening so full of hulls the water can't come down into the dish area.

He has been doing the bad boy thing with his food less now that Tom is in with him, but he still thinks its funny to take his seed and crack it and put the hulls in the water dish.

I have taken to a regular hook on the cage dish for their water and I change the water no less than twice a day. Some days are better than others. Some days though I have to change the water 4 or 5 times, the little chit!

The more I complain to Bob not to do it, he does it more...so I have taken to saying nothing about it and it has gotten a little better as of recent. UGH!

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/26/11 12:30 PM

ok how close is the food to the water dish...lol..maybe just a slight adjustment of placing the water or the food further away from each other will fix this in a hurry...giggle

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/26/11 01:11 PM

I have had the water dish in 10 places and to no avail. I actually put it at the top of the cage and he carries the seed up two perches and runs across the rope, cracks the seed and puts the hull in the water and goes back for more! lol

Yesterday he went in the cage and got a seed and came back out and flew to the bath and left the hull in the bath water. When I looked him in the eye, he winked! I swear !!

Bob is my bad boy and loves it! lol

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/26/11 04:47 PM

well there is one more solution but i dunno maybe its not such a nuisance and more cute and you dont want to break the habit...but if...you do try removing water dish for most of the day and see what he does then till the habit gets broke...they dont really drink that much anyway...so not like he will be deprived...and you can do wet greens if you get too worried ...just so he breaks the habit...giggle...

he would probably go bonkers looking everywhere for his seed disposal...lol
Posted By: Daniellero

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/26/11 05:27 PM

My Cee Cee did the same and I put a clothes pin through the cage above her water dish so she cannot lift the slider. Like above the slider, it won't move then the dish won't move and she can't knock it over. I don't know if you have the same system of sliding cage or if your dish is just loose.
Posted By: kksuns

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/26/11 05:53 PM

LOL What about Bob!
Going a little off topic again here folks. Just couldn't help the wisecrack.
That Bob just cracks me up!
I always did have a thing for the bad boys. smile
Posted By: Kimberly1985

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/27/11 01:32 AM

What about the stainless steel bowls that bolt to the side of the cage??? Just a suggestion...I don't have that problem except with the treat dish on top of the cage when Yoshi is out. She's bad about knocking it in the floor...I have learned to use heavier dishes for that purpose.

I heard that about placing a water tube above the water dish too, Pepperandrocky. I actually saw it on Petkeeping with Mark Marone. He said that it would spark their interest and they would want to play with it initially. Of course, water would wet their beaks and they would learn that water comes out of it. After you have seen them tinkering around with it, remove the water from the dish and then later on, you can remove the water dish all together. They also have those water tubes that have a spout on the end that mount to the side of the cage. Yoshi has one and loves to make soup in hers. LOL Gross!

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/27/11 01:37 AM

you guys i dunno about your whacky birds...and food dunkin in their water and kk with hers doing the footsie bath thingy omg...cracking up
Posted By: pepperandrocky

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/27/11 04:33 AM

Kim that's the show I saw it on! LOL I guess that show is geared towards kids, but I enjoy watching it. Birdie goes nuts when she hears the birds in the background. smile

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/27/11 08:28 AM

kimmie is a big kid...she is just a young buckwheat whupper snapper compared to us lol

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/27/11 11:19 AM

Some birds are just wackier than others I think. I have been told though that our birds can inherit their owners quirks and personalities. Come to think of it.....when Bob was a baby he watched me eat breakfast each morning and I am a toast dunker.........maybe that is why he dunks seeds in his water! lol

Does Kirby/Yoshi throw dishes in the sink? HA!

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/28/11 01:29 AM

I would use the bird bath, because I actually have that same exact one that illusive gave a link to, but my lovebird Eglantine is probably the meanest bird I've come in contact with and it gets to the point where I can't even stick my hand in the cage without her making me bleed. So I have to stick to the food bowls... Which of course she keeps knocking over x(

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/28/11 02:23 AM

try doing it in the dark lol...or clip a cloth to the top and push thru the bars so it hangs inside so you can do that without needing to call 911

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/28/11 02:47 AM

I'll try the cloth thing tomorrow, it sounds like it might work.

Re: Lovebird problem - 09/28/11 02:51 AM

one can only hope huh...lol...wishing you luck on that...let us know ...can i watch giggle if that dont work they have weighted dog bowls ...try them...
Posted By: parakeetnames

Re: Lovebird problem - 05/26/12 05:43 AM

Good idea....

Advertising removed by PDM
Sorry ParakeetNames, but you were warned.
© 2020 Lisa Shea Forum