Lisa Shea

HUGE spider

Posted By: ___JA

HUGE spider - 09/14/09 12:12 AM

Theres this huge spider outside my kitchen window... it freaks me out yet fascinates me at the same time, even though I have arachnophobia. I think its because of its colors and stripes and stuff... -shudders- Lol. Here are some pics I took.

Posted By: PDM

Re: HUGE spider - 09/14/09 12:42 AM

Good pictures.

And I know what you mean.
I have a spider phobia, too, yet I still find them fascinating ~ in a shuddery sort of way frown

There's a big web outside our house, at the moment, with a spider and some eggs, I think. I was going to try to get some photos.

At least we don't have poisonous spiders over here. smile
Posted By: The_Zookeeper

Re: HUGE spider - 09/14/09 01:19 AM

Awesome lil spider! smile

Originally Posted By: PDM

At least we don't have poisonous spiders over here. smile

all spiders/tarantulas are venomous. Its just a matter of the potency of the venom smile
Posted By: PDM

Re: HUGE spider - 09/14/09 01:27 AM

OK ~ well we don't have dangerous ones, then ~ except in zoos.

Thank goodness! smile
Posted By: Kirby&Yoshi

Re: HUGE spider - 09/14/09 01:40 AM

That is a big spider indeed. I don't mind spiders as long as they aren't crawling on me or in my room. Then I freak out, lol. I also have a giant spider outside of my house. As soon as you walk out of my back door there is a very big spider web[stretches at least 3-4 feet], with a very big spider. Creepy but fascinating at the same time.
Posted By: baby blue

Re: HUGE spider - 09/14/09 01:47 AM

that is correct zoo keeper. smile the cat spider that i caught last year( and put the pics of on here) is considered non venomous, but when, my thumb started to tingle oddly, a couple of minutes after i got her unlatched... it didn't take me long to look it up again to be sure i hadn't made a mistake!
it was because she was of exceptional size and had been chomped on deep and for a little bit, she'd had time to dose me with all she had in her.
those are excellent photos justin! and i agree, they are fascinating. we tossed a fairly large bug of some sort onto the web of the "queen of darkness" (the cat spider) and my nieces and i watched through a magnifying glass as she rushed to grab lunch. as we watched, the bug seemed to deflate like a balloon with a slow leak. when she was done, what was left looked like a little piece of dirt stuck on the web.
an idea if you like to take photos, and amazingly enough, spider webs are incredible subjects... take a squirt bottle with a very fine mist and give the web a squirt. the water droplets look like jewels and also the intricate design of the web is often seen a little easier.
good show by the way for overcoming your fear, to take the time to get those snaps... be proud of yourself! smile smile
Posted By: ___JA

Re: HUGE spider - 09/14/09 02:36 AM

Thanks all! I've never seen a spider like this before, and I'm sure glad its on the OUTSIDE of the window LOL!
Thanks baby blue for the tips, and yes I am proud of myself! I stood there for 10 minutes taking snaps, these were the best out of them. laugh
Posted By: val313

Re: HUGE spider - 09/14/09 02:47 AM

great pics! Although they give me the creeps! lol
We have loads around our house right now. I always know fall is around the corner by the amount of spiders that start showing up.
zoo- ah a gal who knows the difference between venom and poison.
I always have to bite my tongue to everytime I see or hear someone say poisonous about spiders or snakes. lol Pet peeve I guess left over from working in the museum.
Posted By: The_Zookeeper

Re: HUGE spider - 09/14/09 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: val313

zoo- ah a gal who knows the difference between venom and poison.
I always have to bite my tongue to everytime I see or hear someone say poisonous about spiders or snakes. lol Pet peeve I guess left over from working in the museum.

Ahh, I know the feeling. I deal with it at work every day. but I'm a meanie so i correct people :P
Posted By: val313

Re: HUGE spider - 09/14/09 02:55 AM

Shhh.. I do too! smile
Then I have to explain why. Which usually results in either a blank stare or a "oh, that makes sense." However, I dont get the latter very much at all! lol
It drives me crazy when I hear a teacher doing it. Blargh!!!!
Posted By: Coco's Mama

Re: HUGE spider - 09/14/09 04:02 AM

So now I have to ask, could the venom, be poisonous, like if you are exposed to enough, or have a weird reaction?

Okay that sounded very blonde, bit I still aksed lol.
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum