Lisa Shea

Virginia Tech Scool Shooting

Posted By: Laurie

Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/17/07 02:49 AM

Have you heard about it? It's horrible! Do you know any victims? frown
Posted By: ShamRockStar

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/17/07 05:02 AM

My mom called me to make sure I didnt get shot, I then had to explain to her how Baltimore and Vtech arent anywhere enar eachother smile

it is horrible though, and its so scary because that can happen anywhere ::shivers::
you just never know...

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/17/07 05:00 PM

lol, your mom seems funny!

But it was horrible, they had video footage and the screams were terrible! Why is it always schools, the selfish shooter only shot himself after killing many innocent people! And after the first shooting, why didn't they have a lock down? The shooter gave them 2 hours to get away! Isn't that enough?? But they just continued classes like nothing went wrong, that makes me so mad!

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/17/07 07:46 PM

My school had a special edition of the paper today so maybe I can answer some of those questions.
This is all guessing so far the police dont have concrete evidence.
The shooter went into a dorm and shot his ex at 7:15 am (most likely called her and asked her to talk so she let him in and when they got to her room he shot her) then the RA came to see what the problem was and the guy shot him too.
The guy got away before V Tech police could get there and they thought it was amurder suicide. An isolated incodent. Although why an ra would shoot a student and then himself is beyond me
ANYway the students recieved an email announcing that two students were shot in the dorm building at 9:29 am.
They recieved an email saying that there was a gunman loose on campus at 9:59 am and classes were cancelled at 10:27 am.
Apparently V tech (scarily much like man other colleges) has no emergency action plan. Colleges tend to think they're beyond school shootings and when people get to college they are a lot less cooperative with learning the emergency plans then they were in hs.
I remember n hs we had 2 lockdown drills and 2 evacuation drills a year just incase so we all knew what to do in the vent of a lockdown (we had one my senior year for a bomb in one of the bathrooms and eveyrone knew exaclty what to do, it was nice to have that sense of structure) meanwhile the students at v-tech were left guessing as to waht to do when they heard gunshots two rooms down. I read that a few of the boys in the academic building heard the shots and ran into a friends girlfriends class and barricaded the door with tables and told everyone to get down and out of the way. The gunman tried to get in the room and when he failed shot through the door multiple times and then moved on. Those boys thought fast, the other had no time. Apparently in the classroom where the majority of the shooting took place the shooter (vtech alum btw) came into the classroom calmly like he was just going to say hello pulled out a gun and shot the professor point blank in the head and then unloaded 2 handguns on the class.

After reading all of this I read that my school has no emergency action plan either and honestly it scares me. What do I do if someone opens fire in one of my classes...

the reason why they continued classes was because the administration and campus polic honestly had no idea what was going on or how big this was going to be.
Honestly though I would be so angry if someone was shot in one of the dorms and I didnt know about it immediately... even if the thought it was unimportant. My freshman year a girl was raped by 2 guys in a dorm that was connected to mine (we have multi dorm 'communities' here) and we didnt receive emails about it until two days later and security guards and having to sign people in took another few months to work out, meanwhile I had to worry that some random guy was going to walk into my room and rape me if I left my door unlocked. I think that administrations tend to minimize violence on campuses because they have to to keep admissions up but every college campus has violent crimes and they should all be prepared for something like this. Hopefully, sad though it may be, this incodent will spur colleges into coming up with effective emergency action plans...
Posted By: Coco's Mama

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/17/07 08:09 PM

It was front page new today in my Canadian Paper how awful. I cannot imagine the horror.

In the states do you feel that guns are everywhere? It is a clear tangible presence in everday life? Just wondering cos we have alot less gun violence (sadly though it grows).

Schools slowly are waking up , U of Toronto has a plan for shootings and pandemics but thats all I know of. University have a kazzilion doors I am not sure how but it doesn't matter how someone owes it to the public to make a plan for every darn school and all it kazillion doors on what to do. How to lock down where and when and how to get students out.

As it stands now everyone has to think of their own escape plan from their usual route around campus. Doesn't seem right.

This is horrible.
Posted By: Connor

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/17/07 08:10 PM

I was at Tech for an engineering tour when one of the bomb threats (which was right outside the building everyone on the tour was in) was made. Also, i go to almost all of the home football and basketball games and hope to attend Tech for college. It's just hard to believe that anyone could possibly do this, especially at a school where i feel i have so many connections like Tech.
Posted By: Song Bird

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/17/07 08:23 PM

Such sick, horrible people in the world! mad
Posted By: sue!

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/17/07 09:32 PM

i know someone that goes there, but he wasn't hurt.
Posted By: Sunittles

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/18/07 01:26 AM

He had mental issues.
Really.
He was like depressed and stuff. They said he was super quiet and whenever someone would talk/approach him, he'd walk away and ignore them.
The guy was also taking some anti-depression pills or whatever they are called. They said he was steadily getting more and more violent ...

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/18/07 06:58 AM

one of the kids in his english class posted Cho's plays online...
they're deranged. Apparently the english teacher tried to get him help but he didn't want it...
Posted By: Coco's Mama

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/18/07 12:26 PM

Lots of people are depressed they don't go killing people I think that promotesan unhealthy stigma about mental health.

Something else was going on with this guy and then maybe dpression on top or as a by product.
Posted By: Fabutam

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/18/07 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Coco's Mama
Lots of people are depressed they don't go killing people I think that promotes an unhealthy stigma about mental health.

Something else was going on with this guy and then maybe dpression on top or as a by product.

I agree... I have suffered from depression for years and have also been diagnosed with a few personality disorders crazy BUT I noticed the problems and got help and now, after many years of different medications and therapy, I know that the issues are (literally) in my brain and I cannot help it.
It's not `our` fault... as long as you seek help and realise that somethings wrong we can finally get rid of the stigma with mental health (having any mental health issues and not getting help, no matter how small is like trying to walk on a broken leg without a cast forever!)

frown
Thank goodness the gun issue isn't a HUGE thing here in the UK, No... the scummy people much prefer knives here mad... we've had a massive spate of killings in gangs in London recently... Things won't change until we educate our children and get tougher on the people that commit these crimes.. then perhaps we can all live together in some kind of peace grin
Posted By: Tweets

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/18/07 02:24 PM

Unfortunately not all peoples bodies react to depression medication the same! frown I was on prozac for several years and for the first few life was great, but the last few months I was on it, really bizarre thoughts started popping into my head... things I would NEVER consider doing but all the same it was there and I also began having hallucinations. When I spoke with my doctor we decided to increase the dose (after all I had been on the medication for over 5 years) and things got worse so I weaned myself off and presto... no more insane thoughts! Maybe he was one of the people who react poorly to the medication?? Unfortunately, there is never a medication that is 100% great for every single person! I sooo agree with you Fabutam- without help, mental health IS like trying to walk and function with a broken leg.. it just doesn't work! Maybe the answer isn't neccesarily medication but therapy?? Or a combination of the two!! There are LOTS of doctors who are soo swamped with patients that they just throw medication at problems! There IS that stigma that goes with mental health and it is sad because people are suffering because of it! Alot of the time they won't seek help or don't seek all the help that is available because they fear of judgement!

I feel soo bad for all the families having to go through this! I watched a special on Nightline last night and it literally broke my heart to see so many people so devastated! frown For any of you that were affected, I am so sorry for all the losses you have suffered! My prayers are with you! frown

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/18/07 08:28 PM

theoretically it is both. You go one meds so that you can ebtter comprehend the therapy and as the therapy starts to work you come off the meds (I'm a psych major)
This guy was offered help, he didn't want it. He was even hospitalized for a bit, unfortunately people in this country can't be involuntarily commited until after they've committed a crime...
Posted By: Stephanie sweet keets

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/18/07 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Laurie
Have you heard about it? It's horrible! Do you know any victims? frown
Yes I know three people who gotten shot and out of the three people one guy was killed! It is so awful to see blood everywhere from people shirts and clothing!
Posted By: Tweets

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/18/07 10:06 PM

Stephanie- I am soo sorry!! That must be horrible!! I can't even begin to comprehend how sad you must be right now!! I am praying for you and all others going through this at this time!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stephen

Re: Virginia Tech Scool - 04/18/07 10:19 PM

Wow, this was right in Stephanie's backyard. No wonder you knew so many people. =(
I pray for the 2 who were shot to heal soon.
Posted By: Confused

Re: Virginia Tech Scool - 04/18/07 11:39 PM

I'm just glad I stayed home that day. I'm a commuter, I live an hour outside of town. I finally went into Blacksburg today...the media...jeeze.

I didn't directly know anyone. Stephanie, I am so sorry *hugs* Didn't know you were so geographically close to meh and the scene. Hard to believe the Today show has been hosted right where I walk to class every frackin' day.
Posted By: Stephen

Re: Virginia Tech Scool - 04/18/07 11:41 PM

Wait, do you go to Virginia Tech, Confused?

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/19/07 07:08 PM

Severe depression is really bad, it can make people do bad things. Really bad things! frown
Posted By: Stephanie sweet keets

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/19/07 11:52 PM

I just wanted to say R.I.P. to Emily Hischler and all the other lost souls! She was the first victim to get shot. I believe. frown
Posted By: Confused

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/20/07 12:33 AM

I do, until next sem. I was transferring because they don't have the program I need for what I want to do. The media is terrible. They've told the story...I wish they would go home. They were on every single street corner just pulling people. I feel like they're exploiting the mourning of the community, and it's upsetting.
Posted By: PDM

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/20/07 12:42 AM

You might be interested to know that there is another thread on this subject here:

school violence
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=171801&page=0&fpart=1

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/20/07 03:18 AM

it makes me really angry when the media does that
and when eveyrone concentrates more on the killer then the victims

I'm so sorry for what you are going through
i cant even imagine what it must feel like because even here at my school a few hundred miles away I've been imagining someone just calmly walking into my class and shooting my teacher and then me and its very very unsettling, I cant even begin to imagine how scary it is when it's actually happened frown

where are you transfering to?
Posted By: Bird Crazy103

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/20/07 09:25 PM

i just find it so sad becuase 'we' are doin this to each other. the reason the guy lashed out and killed everyone is becuase of 'us'. because of society today. becuase of how everyone treats each other. 'we' can stop this! but 'we' didnt. 'we' let it happen. by 'we' i mean the kids that were abusing and mistreating him..and basicly everyone. sadly i say this IN ONE WAY ..is good. because it shows us what happens when we treat each other like this. but i just cant believe that 32 people got shot, and killed. fortunatly i do not know anyone who was shot during the massacre.

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/20/07 10:35 PM

no one was abusing or mistreating this dude.
he had a psychotic break.
that was no one fault
his 'ex' that he shot actually didn't know him, they found out later that he was stalking her.
the people in his classes were talking about how they always tried to be nice to him, offer him candy at halloween time and include him in their conversations but he just looked at them like they were insane every time.
so really
the upsetting part to me is
anyone can have a psychotic break at anytime.
Posted By: Bird Crazy103

Re: Virginia Tech Scool Shooting - 04/21/07 08:29 PM

wow...didnt know that part.
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum