Lisa Shea

Parakeet Food Help

Posted By: Paulina

Parakeet Food Help - 12/13/09 11:14 AM

Hey Guys. I have a little problem. Not long ago, I bought this new food "Zoo Vital Keet/Canary/Finch Daily Diet w/Fruit" for Jade. She was always on a seed diet with pellets mixed and I would give her fruits and veggies. She never liked fresh fruits so much no matter how I would give it to her. (Chopped, full size, smashed.) I think Ive tried everything and she only eats it when I hand feed her but not all the time. It took her a little over a week to get used to the new food. I started out my smashing it and adding seeds to it. She liked it and I always made the amout of seeds get smaller. The last 2 days I removed all the seeds and she ate it just fine. Yesterday was a really stormy and windy day. It rained all day and there was really hard wind. She was in my room, it was warm and her cage was covered. It was also dark she she slept all day. Last night, before I went to sleep I noticed her eating that food and then about 5 minutes later she was doing something weird with her neck. She moved it up and down as if she was chocking and them she vomited. I could tell that that was the food she just ate because it was the same color. I was so worried, it was really hard for me to do anything after that. I right away cleaned everything up and it was really warm inside so I went with her cage outside to breath some fresh air and I talked to her. She calmed down and it looked like she was feeling better. I went with her back to my room and then she played with her toys like she would normaly do and then she fell asleep on her swing. This morning I cleaned her cage again, changed her water and I took out that food and gave her only seeds. Do you guys think there is something wrong with that food? Or did I take the seeds away from her to fast? I couldn't understand if maybe she was sleeping all day because of the darkness in my room and because of the bad weather made her think it was night or maybe because she didn't feel well and I never noticed? I am very mad at my self and I don't know what to do. frown

Here is a picture of what the "Zoo Vital Keet/Canary/Finch Daily Diet w/Fruit" looks like:

You can find everything about it at this site: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18888 smile This is what it says about the food:
Nutritionally balanced bird food for parakeets, finches, and canaries. Pellet-style diet is 100% edible for less waste and mess. Fortified with vitamins for your bird's health. Also contains five different strains of beneficial probiotic bacteria for improved digestion and stomach health. Contains papaya, pineapple, banana, apples, and more to appeal to even the most finicky pet bird. Fun, colorful shapes are easy for your bird to hold and digest and add excitement to feeding time. Contains just 5% fat. 27 oz bag is packed in a resealable zipper barrier bag for added freshness.
Ingredients: Wheat, Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Oat Groats, Corn Gluten Meal, Papaya, Pineapple, Banana, Diced Apples, Soybean Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Molasses, Dried Brewer's Yeast Fermentation Product, Salt, Sugar, Whey Solids, Vitamin A Palmitate, Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Alpha Tocopherol (Source of Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate (Source of Vitamin K), Biotin, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Chloride, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Iron Methionine, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Product, Dried Lactobacillus bulgaricus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Lecithin, Natural Mixed Tocopherol, Rosemary Extract, Titanium Dioxide, Artificial Colors and Flavors Added.

What do you guys think of it?
Posted By: tweetymom

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/13/09 11:37 AM

BUMP

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/13/09 12:21 PM

Thanks for the bump smile
Posted By: BLR

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/13/09 04:06 PM

I am always suspect of dried fruits. It is not a food a budgie would eat naturally. Seeds would be their normal diet. The fact of the matter is that I can't get my guys to eat fresh fruit at all. They will eat vegies and I do feed them leaf veagies both fresh and those that I have dried for them.

If it were my bird I would feed a fortified seed. Some vegies on occasion and also mine LOVE crackers. (yes, no salt and no sugar)
Posted By: Noel+Syd+Elliot

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/13/09 04:10 PM

My parakeets perfers that type of food over anything! That why its there treats now smile
Posted By: illusive Fantasy

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/13/09 04:33 PM

she was regurgatating..what keets do to feed their young
Posted By: Love My Budgies

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/13/09 05:14 PM

Your bird was probably trying to feed you (which is a huge compliment-you should feel honored!) or regurgitating to a favorite toy, but some birds do this when sick. So I would keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't do this excessively. If she does, do take her to an Avian Vet.
Second I would get a better food. It is a good idea to avoid an all seed diet, artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. Roudybush and Harrison's are 2 of the top of the line brands that contain solid nutrition without all the junk. Fresh, organic veggies & fruits are best for Budgies supplemented with healthy/natural pellets and some seed to avoid obesity, disease, tumors, etc. You may want to try giving her some dried organic veggies & greens & tiny bits of fresh, organic veggies & fruits on top of her seed/pellet mix to get her used to eating healthier.

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/13/09 05:22 PM

Also, it may take a Budgie weeks or possibly months to start eating a new food/veggies/fruit, so you need to consistently offer it everyday. They will eventually eat it.

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/13/09 05:45 PM

i dont believe her regurgitating was anything to do with this food which has a lot of good going on for it with their ingredients..just never ceases to amaze me why they add food coloring..especially in something like this with all the fruits etc it would have a coloring to it anyway...
In the past dr foster n smith tested everything they sold before sponsoring the product i dont know if they still do this..they even had a rating system they would put with the product..they have a number to call at least they use to..id call speak to them about the artificial coloring
But those others things in it are excellent..
When females get excited and are of breeding age they will regurgitate..sometimes quite a bit..giggle..if she is acting otherwise normal dont worry and they have their quiet days too like us and weather does also affect them like us

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/14/09 11:51 AM

Thanks for the help guys! =) It makes me feel much better :P I am going this week to buy her some new toys so I will get her something else. She acts very normal till now, and I am mixing that food and her old food together. It really looks like a colorful salad and I think she is enjoying it so far smile
Also, I tried once every morning to chop apples and put them on top of her seeds but she likes it when it's so small that it's the size of a seed and I even chopped of my nail once when I was cutting apples for her and the moment she comes over to her food dish and sees those apples she ignores them or if there are too much she tries it and right away leaves it and she constantly goes back and forth from the food to her perch. It's quite funny to watch her do it but after a while the apples start drying up and I need to remove them. Only then she decides to finally eat her food when she knows the apples are gone. The same thing happened with grapes but because the grapes stay fresh a little longer than apples I kept them there longer and she ended up ignoring them or she would throw them out of her food dish. How should I serve the fruits/veggies to her so she will decide to try it instead of throwing it out? I read that you can make it look like a toy and hang it from the top of her cage but I think If I would hang something she would climb all over it until she'd rip it off and then she would be proud because she would think that was what she was supposed to do :P
I have seen at petco how they just cut grapes in half and the parakeets there go down and try it and play around with it. Jade is nothing like that.
What fruits/veggies do your birds just love and how to you give it to them? I will try to take some of your guys ideas and see if Jade will like it smile

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/14/09 01:28 PM

I take carrot, celery, dark green leaf vegie (any kind, kale, spinich, endives) cut up then put them in my little cheap ($9) electric chopper and chop until about the size of seeds. My guys love it. I also hang some of the unchopped green leafy vegie on the side of their cage.

If you don't have a chopper just cut up the vegies to the size of seeds. I never add fruit to this mix because 1) my guys won't eat fruit and 2) fruit has a tendency to need to be removed quicker than the vegies.

As far as the birds at petco - budges are very cautious. If they don't see another bird trying something they may never try it. I am lucky that one of mine will try anything, then the others follow suit. He is also the first to try a new toy. Until Gilbert tries something, the others look at it like it is from outer space and is here to eat them.

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/14/09 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Paulina

What fruits/veggies do your birds just love and how to you give it to them?

My girls love (wet or misted) Romaine lettuce - either hung from the side of their cage, wrapped around toys, or in a bath tub. Sometimes they will just shred it, but more often that not they eat it. They also love broccoli, celery, carrots, parsley, kale, cucumber, spinach, cabbage, and dandelion greens -just hung from the side or top of their cage. Sometimes I make Kabobs, with a stainless steel skewer. They also like it if I take a vegatable peeler and take long peeled strips of carrot or cucumber and dangle them from the top of their cage bars. They don't seem to like collard or mustard greens, but every other type of greens I have tried, they love. In their food dish I sprinkle dried fruit & dried greens, adding a layer of brown rice or quinoa with tiny bits of peas, corn, broccoli, apple, carrots, and sometimes Beak Appetit, with Roudybush or Harrison's pellets. They also have a separate dish of pellets only at the top of their cage. They have another dish of herbs at mid-height of their cage.

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/14/09 05:45 PM

My lil guy is still new and im still in a tactical battle over all this to get him interested but i found he liked the honey and fruit log i got for him and hang on the side of the cage..they also make honey and veggie ones..im also trying dehydrated veggies..but geeesh to try to get him to eat pellets yet is like getting a kid to eat peas.

Ive thought of a idea that ive just started to try where he is so young and not use to this or that yet as a preference to see if i can get him to not be a finicky eater..ive only had a day to start to work this idea out so far.

What im doing is removing any seed and placing all the things inside the cage he is hesitant to try or eat..birds have a voracious appetite normally so im hoping thru the day he gets hungry enough to at least sample something new. With only one day into this i caved in at the end of the day and put some seeds with EVERYTHING mixed in back into the cage where of course he then pigged out. I can see my biggest weakness is going to be if i cave in..a baby or any bird when new wont eat right away and dont starve while they figure it all out. So im going to have to remind myself of this and instead of putting the seed back that night ..where he will soon figure that out and just hold out till night...im gonna have to leave the seed out for a couple of days where he will get hungry enough to eat.

Ill let you all know how this seems to go and it may or may not work..and where each bird is different it may work for some and may not for others..I know if i can just get him started ive won the battle but of course like anyone or anything that wont mean he wont have his preferences ..but at least he will occasionally eat something other than seed..thats my goal anyway...keep your fingers crossed..

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/14/09 08:47 PM

WOW very shortly after posting the above SUCCESS..i let Cappy out and placed just inside the door a very very small food cup of THE DREADED PELLETS giggle..he immediately went to it and tried swishing out most but then i noticed he was crunching then more crunching and like the preverbial potatoe chip where you cant eat just one...he continue and still at this moment is continuing..he would eat a few after vigorous swishing and spilling then leave but immediately run back for more..as if to say thats not so bad after all...and now he isnt even swishing just chowing it done..SUCCESS .,.i think i found a way to introduce new foods for my lil Cappy anyway that if i dont cave in will get him to eat new things...he is male..and as most males i think their tummy rules their heads..just feed them keep them happy and they are thrilled with life. So now..im going to leave JUST the pellets in the cage for a couple of days...then switch out again to something else..im not sure if its the brand of pellets or his hunger that now he is chowing it all down with no swishing ...for the record ill post here the brand of pellet im using...ZuPreen Avian Maintainance Natural Diet...who know maybe one pellet brand will be more appealing than another ..its worth the effort to try and not give up..or maybe even try what i did...i didnt have to enhance with baby food or make it moist NOTHING he is just stuffing it down himself now and as i said..not swishing it at all ..

I cant believe i outsmarted him with a little common sense i guess ..if they get hungry ...they will eat whats available..so dont put out a buffet and maybe you also will have success ..oh yah dont cave in like i did the first day ...this only took TWO attempts
Posted By: peepers14

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/14/09 09:48 PM

I have a question about dandilions. Do you just pick the flower part or the leafy or stem one. It's winter the place were i live and i was just wondering for the summer.

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/14/09 10:06 PM

you pick the greens - be sure the place you pick from is safe

Not from the side of the road - they absorb carbon monoxide
Not from anyplace that has been fertilized or pesticided etc.

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/14/09 11:41 PM

Yes by all means please as BLR stated the place you harvest from is safe from contaminates of roadsides or factories keeping in mind that air/wind can carry these toxins a good distance.

Ok what i know of dandelions is this..all parts are safe to consume by humans ..im not sure about birds...however if you have ever personally used dandelion leaves for cooking you will know USE IT SPARINGLY as its a very gaseous plant..again not knowing if it affects our birds the same.

My question of concern is this..why harvest what you have not personally grown and run a risk of contamination when there is soooo many other greens we can feed our birds and feel safer??? The variety of greens that can be offered is extensive without running risk of even a low level.

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/14/09 11:46 PM

Then again if you have a yard full of dandelions and you dont spray your yard for anything - go for it.

I get my chickweed from my yard. By the way, incase you don't know this stuff does not frost. I would guess a killing freeze will get it but so far my guys are still enjoying fresh chickweed and I am still drying for the long hard winter. wink

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/15/09 01:52 PM

I buy organic dandelion greens from a reputable store. I would never pick them from my yard or anywhere outside -they are not protected from the elements (lead, acidic rain, pesticides, herbicides, or what not blowing in the wind, etc). You have no idea what is absorbed into the dirt, what is in the rain, what is in the wind/air, or what they have been exposed to & if they are contaminated.
I grow my own organic wheatgrass for my birds inside.

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/15/09 02:54 PM

WOW you have no idea how many times ive said this ..and in fact have gone so far as to say for the very same reasons there is no such thing as truly organic either...your right on the ball with your logical thinking. As even with the so called organic you still dont know what was in the dirt..(you cant really have sterile dirt) and there is that nasty stuff called acid rain. Also, yes chemicals and contaminates can and do carry a great distance on air currents. So pleased to hear you bring this up. So pleased you grow your own things also...WELL DONE.
Posted By: kksuns

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/16/09 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: illusive Fantasy
WOW very shortly after posting the above SUCCESS..i let Cappy out and placed just inside the door a very very small food cup of THE DREADED PELLETS giggle..he immediately went to it and tried swishing out most but then i noticed he was crunching then more crunching ....

YES! Way to go! So... you said TWO attempts, the first time you caved(which is what I would do, I'm a sucker LOL), but he 2nd time? How long did it take for him to eat em? Just a day?

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/16/09 03:50 AM

after swishing and not finding the goodies he decided to pig out he has a heck of a appetite i tell you...but today ..sigh I CAVED AGAIN..mostly because i was busy trying to make those modifications to his cage top with the wire. Tomorrow is another day if i dont finish up the cage for him to just have to make do. But yesterday was a success...maybe tomorrow will be also..just had too many distractions today, and ma tried to pacify him as i did what i had to do to weave the wire so pinhead wouldnt hang himself..there are times when its good to live alone and no one to have to see this stuff...BRING IN THE CLOWNS time.

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/16/09 04:46 AM

too funny illusive - you know the difference between sane and insane is knowing when to keep your mouth shut. wink giggle

I do stuff at home that I think to myself, if anyone saw me they would send for the men in the white coats. smile

By the way, is his real name pinhead or is that just when your are frustrated. wink

Re: Parakeet Food Help - 12/16/09 05:10 AM

I aint saying...not here anyway. blush
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum