Lisa Shea

Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians

Posted By: mbas400

Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians - 07/06/06 03:36 AM

The Statue of Liberty - another American symbol stolen by the Christians for their own purposes.

When will it end? When an evangelical Christian sits in the White House? (Oh wait, that happened).

When they start teaching Biblical Creationism as science? (Oh wait, that's trying to happen too.)

Read in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/us/05liberty.html

I keep talking about the impending Christian Theocracy coming to America. I might have been too late. [Linked Image] frown
Posted By: Capt. Haddock

Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians - 07/06/06 01:41 PM

Originally posted by mbas400:
When an evangelical Christian sits in the White House? (Oh wait, that happened).

I think the president's evangelical christianity is about as genuine as his Texas accent (notice that none of his relatives sound like that?) and flightsuited macho-posturing.

If he can get the evangelical christians to vote for him, it should be easy for me to make some money off of them. They say there's a sucker born every minute, but I reckon in this country there's two.

Just remember to keep your money in Switzerland and you should be ok.
Posted By: Believer

Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians - 07/06/06 06:07 PM

Would you mind so much if the president were a Jew, or and atheist, or a Hindu? Who cares what he is. Almost every President from the beginning has claimed to be a Christian, it doesn't make them one.
Posted By: mbas400

Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians - 07/06/06 06:17 PM

I'd love it if the President was a Jew.

It's true that all claimed to be Christian. I doubt Clinton and Reagan and Bush Sr. was, but W certainly seems to be, and really wants to run the country out of his Bible.

an Athiest would be interesting, but I'm not sure I want an Athiest's finger on the nuclear trigger.

Although who cares, I prophesize we're all going to blow each other up anyway.
Posted By: Capt. Haddock

Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians - 07/06/06 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Believer:
Almost every President from the beginning has claimed to be a Christian, it doesn't make them one.
I agree. It’s all a question of telling the lumpen what they want to hear. The same way that a member of one of America’s most elite and connected political families can pretend he’s a good ole’ boy from the Texan bush and a draft dodger can pretend he’s a macho war hero, then an atheist, jew or muslim can pretend to be a Christian. Why not?

Originally posted by mbas400:

Although who cares, I prophesize we're all going to blow each other up anyway.
Then you need a bank account in Switzerland and a house in New Zealand. I bet you the kiwis will survive the nuclear holocaust.

but W certainly seems to be, and really wants to run the country out of his Bible.

If a member of the Bush family ever got religious, I’m sure they would join some upscale sect like the Episcopalians or the Lutherans, not some snake-charming peasant church where Bubba and Bubbette speak in tongues. I reckon it’s all an act. Everything else about the guy is a fraud, why should this be any different?
Posted By: victor

Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians - 07/06/06 07:36 PM

From the Capt'n:
not some snake-charming peasant church where Bubba and Bubbette speak in tongues
Hey watch it - I live down the street from one of those churches that speak in tongues. i
Of course I also live in the same state as the Statue of Liberty carrying a cross.

Its a pretty sad statement when churches have to use gimmicks to get people interested in their congregation. I get mail weekly from the local churches inviting us to visit.

It is also very sad how politicians and businesses in the bible belt (and beyond) play on Christian solidarity. I frequently get ads in the mail from a plumber or handyman or carpet salesman, and at the bottom will be a little fish symbol. As if that will make me trust them any more. And then every politician running for alderman, the school board, or senate, will also tell you which church he or she attends. Again, as if that would make him/her more qualified to set the fiscal budget for my town.

As for George W Bush, despite the fact that I think he is a total moron, I have to hand it to him that somehow he (or Karl Rove) has been just brilliant in playing the Christian card. Remember long ago when he campaigned as "the uniter" --- has the country ever been more divided about a president? ... How many more years until I have to sit through 8 years of Jeb?
Posted By: dfdchgf

Re: Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians - 05/18/22 12:04 PM

I would find it irresistible if the President turned into a Jew. it is authentic that all claimed to be Christian. I am going to share this thread https://wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/130643/statue-florida lottery results-of-liberty-co-opted-by-christians to my kith nd kin that they know about that. I doubt Clinton and Reagan and Bush Sr. changed into, however W certainly appears to be, and in reality wants to run the u . s . out of his Bible. an Athiest could be interesting, however i am no longer certain I need an Athiest's finger on the nuclear trigger. despite the fact that who cares, I prophesize we're all going to blow each other up anyway.
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum