Lisa Shea

My parakeet what should I do?

Posted By: Trogdor

My parakeet what should I do? - 12/21/10 05:00 PM

I got this one new bird for my companion (companion not hand trained) and i've searched the internet for his age and he is pretty young. Yesterday and today i've been trying to hand train it. So i put all their food water etc and i spent time with it by talking and reading next to it. Today i got my natural wood ladder and got him, him and the other bird sat together until i had to put them in and he went crazy and bumped in all the walls then quickly grabbed him. He bit and i put him in the cage do i still have a chance at hand training both of them?

Please reply!
Posted By: illusive Fantasy

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/21/10 05:36 PM

first of all how long have you had them home...did you get both at once is next question and did you bother at all to quarantine them each for a period of min...6weeks?? Which you should do...

then next question is how big is the cage??

then..this...you shouldnt even begin to think about doing any training of any sort and not even put your hand in the cage for at least 10days to let them both get use to their new surrounding ...activities ...you...and you absolutely should not attempt to grab and hold them as they are not like other parrots they hate being held or petted...

if you dont have the other bird trained and you have them both together before even having a chance to get to know one another from DIFFERENT CAGES for quarantine purposes also...its not likely this will be a easy job of training at all cuz you dont even have one trained.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/21/10 05:53 PM

Alright sorry
Um. The new one has been at my house for three days. I've had the other bird for at least a 1 and a half years. THe cage is fit only for two birds and it has a good amount of toys and space. I spent almost all my time with them yesterday because i wanted him to get used to my voice. I only grabbed it because I was forced to he was freaking out and i had to put him in the cage. If there is a correct way to hold them with out being finger trained please tell me.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/21/10 07:37 PM

what part of you dont grab do you not understand lol...you dont grab or hold PERIOD...only in EXTREME situations and that does not justify as a EXTREME situation such as severe injury or severe illness where a avian vet would hold the bird to examine...you can actually break their ribs or suffocate these little guys in seconds by holding them improperly..im thinking you have not even had your other bird to a avian vet for checkups or you would of been shown how to hold a bird properly IF IN EXTREME EMERGENCIES you needed to...which would be like holding a cracked egg ...very very gently and not squeeze to tight in a effort to restrain around its body which can cause serious injuries or even death

sorry but i think you just traumatized me with this never mind your birds...

and what are the dimensions of the cage please...if you just got this bird you shouldnt even be putting your hands inside...and just walking away when it was freaking out or putting a cover over it and darkening the room would have calmed it with a heck of a lot less stress...

SEPARATE THE TWO AS YOU NEED TO QUARANTINE...or risk losing BOTH BIRDS to some disease OR INJURY
Posted By: BLR

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 01:22 AM

Trogdor, welcome to the forum.

If your keet gets lose and you have to catch him, one way is to put a hand towel over him, then you can hold him without getting bit or having to squeeze him.

If you leave him in the cage until he gets used to his environment, if he gets out he will be quite willing to go back to his cage if you just wait on it.

It sounds like your original keet gets to come out of his cage, but will go back in on his own. The same thing will happen with your new keet once he considers the new cage home.

A good webside to determine sex and age of you keet is:
http://www.budgieplace.com/

Good luck with you new addition. Let us know how it is going.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 02:39 AM

Blr yes that is correct My other bird is willing to go its cage by its self. Thank you for the advice for the towel I really apperciate it. I'll wait a couple days for the new bird to get used to the place until then its not getting out it broke my heart and made me want to cry seeing it hit walls all around. but at the same time is it still possible for me to hand train it?

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 03:34 AM

Trogdor, it is absolutely still possible for you to hand train him/her. Let him get used to his new digs, then start training him. You will be able to tell when he gets comfortable because he will start making happy noises and will eat and drink in front of you. During this time keep talking to him and playing music if it is going to be quiet. Quiet worries them because it means a preditor is in the area (at least in the wild that is what it means).

The main thing to remember in hand training is patience. Some train quicker and easier than others. Just go at his pace but dont give up if it is a slow go. It is worth the time to have a hand trained keet.

There is some excelent instruction on this web site on hand training. The first step is him gettin used to your hand in the cage.

Here is the url for the training guide.
http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/articles/bird_hand.html

There are many ways to train you budgie but this one is very good. It is especially good if it is a new young keet.

Good luck with your hand training. You may even be able to convice you older keet to take to training wink

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 03:41 AM

Blr i have been going slow so far and ive tried step 2 just a few mins ago but it still seems that she/he is in shock because i put hear natural wood ladder at her belly and the response was staying still. This concerns me because she is comfortable sittting in front of the ladder but doesn't seem to consider it a perch and get on it I guess ill have to sleep on it and wait. Also is required to get music for them such as classical. if so i will need to get a soft music player for them.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 03:49 AM

as BLR mentions you shouldnt be trying to do ANY training right now and messing around inside the cage...as she said...give it a good ten days at least for them to get use to each other and the new bird get use to the cage and house and you and in the meantime just talk soft and dont stick a ladder up to it...sigh...you use a spare perch...BUT NOT NOW...and your still not quarantining that bird i guess ...

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 03:56 AM

Trogdor, no, not any special kind of music. The TV would do just fine. Actually the other bird will help your new bird to not to be too scared.

Righ now just wait, watch and let him get used to his new home. This will take at least a week or ten days. Remember, be patient.
Posted By: preciousbaby

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 02:31 PM

You must quarantine the new bird for at least six weeks or more to see if he/she is healthy and not going to infect your existing bird. PLEASE START THE QUARNATINE PROCESS FOR THIS NEW LIFE THAT YOU DECIDED TO BRING INTO YOUR HOME! It is your responsibilty!

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 03:52 PM

Preciousbaby, I am sure that just a reminder to quarantine would work if the owner is going to quarantine. Mabe shouting isnt necessary.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 04:37 PM

Ok but it really irritates me for the new bird to long for my other bird its like its unseperatable from them so should I just put her in a different room to do this. Since the new bird is a bit scared how shall i take her out of the cage without holding the way I did shoud i implement the towel trick?

And does anyone reccomend any itching solution or mite solution so my old one would stop scratching.
Posted By: preciousbaby

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 04:47 PM

Pardon me, but I didn't mean to shout or sound very stern. Quarantine is a process that must be implemented when any new bird arrives. Sorry if I came across as rude, Barbara. It wasn't meant to be like that. Thanks for the reminder!

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 05:04 PM

Ok if i am to quarantine I will but how will i take her out of the other cage and place in the other without grabbing I think it would make my new bird sad because she has became nice friends with my other one and i will spend a lot of time with it when quarntined

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 05:12 PM

If they have already been together then I would not worry about quarantine. There is always a chance that the new bird has something that has not shown up yet. I think if you understand the risks then quarantine is your decission.

I think that if they are already together it would stress the new bird to make another change.

As for the itching and scratching, are you sure she is not just molting. Do you think she has mites? A molt would be a likely reason she is scratching.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 06:33 PM

I think your right she must be molting because i do not see anything different about her she seems fine her beak and cere are fine so I assume it should be alright. Thanks guys I'll post when i start to train her and I'm most likely getting new toys and natural perches for her and him.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/22/10 06:43 PM

i dont believe precious baby was shouting either here we go again becuz some uses caps to EMPHASIS and others who just dont like seeing caps then it becomes a attack of sorts...well it isnt...its just EMPHASING like i do A LOT...and folks get use to it and realize it...as some things are IMPERATIVE and its necessary to get a point across like QUARANTINE...

Trogdor they as any birds will do when they know there own kind is near will continue to call to each other and its only natural they do...and its the best thing to do to make sure that a bird that has been established as a healthy bird doesnt become exposed to who knows what when a new bird comes home from a pet store where it could of been exposed to who knows what then pass that to the healthy birds...and yes a total quarantine is necessary especially paying attention also to...when you do anthing first with your established bird before you go near the cage of a new bird you sterilize and disenfect your own hands as well and vice versa

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 02:50 AM

Quarantine is always something to be worried about...

even if they have been together a short period of time does not excuse the continued threat of a disease being transmitted...when it can be avoided. And the trauma of both bird and owner going thru that.

its a serious issue that should not ever be made light of

its imperative that newcomers are not mislead about this sort of thing and think its ok..they should be instructed properly....birds dont have a voice...it is a serious issue....thats why you cant even cross state borders without papers never mind country borders...there is a good reason for quarantine

AND THE SOONER THE BETTER

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 03:43 AM

Like I asked above how shall I get it out of its cage without holding like you said not to and if so I will need to get a large cage for the bird that is all alone. It seems that it has a very large connection towards its flock and goes crazy if it sees the other bird in a different cage while its in another how will it stay happy other than me being by its side all the time.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 03:52 AM

One way to get a non tamed bird out of the cage is to capture her in the dark. What I do when I need to capture my non tame female is wait until dark. Cover the cage. Get a flashlight. Use the flashlight to locate her in the cage, then turn off the flash light then reach in with either a towel or both of my hands and capture her. If you are using your hands be prepared to be bitten. Just in case her with your hands, dont squeeze or hold her tight as this could interfer with her breathing.

Good luck, I know it can be difficult to capture a bird that doesn't want to be captured.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 03:58 AM

Ok that I will keep in mind but should the new cage be as big as this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FXR...;pf_rd_i=507846

If so I will try to buy one but if it can be any smaller please post a link of cage suitable for a 1 bird only

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 04:19 AM

Trogdor, do you only have one cage at this time. Is that cage bid enough for two birds? If it is and you are going to quarantine you can go to the pet store and get their smallest cage (probably about $10) and use that for your quarantine. That way if you need a cage later for any kind of transport you have one.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 04:35 AM

Alright
Ill go get one tommorow
Thanks guys shes been really happy and been eating and observing me she overal likes me
Also will it be ok if i take it to a different area of the house to prevent it from jumping on the bars for the other bird. will i have to wait a new full ten days if i do?
Tanks

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 05:26 AM

omg trogdor that link to that cage is huge...you dont need one that big trust me...something in the 24x14x23 range is good then you have room for toys too and the bird wont feel like its cramped and will have fun jumping around

now for catching...you posed a very good question there now...ok ..like was mentioned above try dimming the lights...have a light dishtowel or facecloth to hold her with FOR YOUR PROTECTION more than hers lol...should she try to latch on and startle you...but dont squeeze to tightly just enough to keep her from squirting out of your hand till you can get her out then also use your free hand to just cover her face a bit by cupping the free hand over her so she stops trying to move forward...dont dilly about it ...get her out and into the other one...then just talk soft as she may be a tadddddd upset lol...you can do it...just dont do it often ...have a little faith...i do..you will be fine

Quarantine is for min of six weeks...but you can begin to train her about ten days after you put her into the quarantine cage just remember disenfect your hands after that when going to your other bird

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 05:33 AM

So should i move it to another location Illusive it seems to be tied to its flock and is always no the bars wanting to go to the old bird. Is that ok?
Thanks for all your guys help i apperciate it alot.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 05:39 AM

trogdor sweetie let me ask you this...what do you think is the most safest and logical thing to do ...to protect your other birds who are in good health...????? yes you should move to another location an as i said this will also be to your advantage to begin training in about ten days cuz then she will be focusing on you...and thats what ya want

Would you rather watch in a few weeks something begin to develope health wise...or put up with a little to be expected chitter chat and a couple days of maybe being a bit anxious which should subside with a little music with this newcomer and out of site out of mind helps also...even if it doesnt stop...which it will tone down for sure...its better than the other outcome...and THATS A FACT

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 05:43 AM

I know im not dumb no need to treat me like that but nevermind that I will quartine the new bird next to the other cage or a different location.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 05:59 AM

oh gee that was NOT what i was doing wow......

i came back to say...no where in that did i treat you that way with what i said.

in fact the opposite becuz you did mention about putting in a different room then seemed to question yourself about it....and i was trying to get you on your own to process the lesser of two evils....and thats because i didnt think you were dumb but ill just leave this aloneeee.

just seems sometimes no matter how you say something or how you approach it ...someone gets the wrong ideas...sooo ... im gonna back out of it and ...as i say

to each their own...means the choices are yours....good luck

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 04:05 PM

No its alright sorry I think I over reacted and I just got angred its my fault sorry. And I have Quantined them Thanks guys!
Posted By: XPR15SR

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 04:34 PM

Happens to the best of us. Good luck. wink

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 11:12 PM

Thanks hows it going with doc he looks so cute just on his perch. Yea I named my new bird Sunshine. Have you started to train him?

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/23/10 11:41 PM

I have indeed. Well, I say that I have. I was just telling Illusive how Doc spoils me. He has made my job very easy. I have had him for 8 days now. After the very first night he didn't have a single problem with my hand being in his cage. On the third day I held a perch in my hand and he got on first try. Haven't got him to stand on my finger yet, but giving the fact that he is at this step already is brilliant.

Also, I just got the bigger cage that I ordered for him. Cleaned it. Got it ready. Wanted to see how he would react if I put the two cages door to door, and in less that 3 minutes he jumped right in his new cage. Easy Peezy. I was expecting days to go by. Not Doc.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 12:15 AM

Looks like your doing good. Mine isn't that sure about my hand unfortunatly. She kinda runs away but then seems fine about my hand being in there and taking there food away to replace it. I wish I could be as lucky as you....
Posted By: Toony

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 01:01 AM

Trogdor, try not to do everything for the sake of the bird being healthy, but the bird being happy.If your bird is that good with your hand near the food bowl, keep your hand their often. Let your bird get to know that the grabbing you did before wont happen often. Read to her, Sing to her, approach slowly.try holding a millet and poking it through the barss. If she eats some of it, good for you. Keep us updated and remember, do what you think makes YOU happy and healthy and your birdhappy and healthy. The internet is something you go to for help, assistance, and entertainment. The internet should not be making personal decisions for you.You think what you think is right, if your not sure come to people like JeanneM, kksuns, or Illusive Fantasy. They are poeple to go to in times of need and you shouldn't put them through stress of making personal decisions for you. Dont take me wrong, I'm not saying what your doing with your bird is wrong OR that i think your asking too much questions, its just a little suggestion/reminder. smile smile smile smile

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 01:18 AM

Valid point Toony. Everybody and every bird IS different. These guys definitely have their own personalities. And nobody is there with you to witness every little detail of your interaction or progress.
Posted By: JeanneM

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 01:41 AM

And Trogdor, Doc IS being a very unusually brilliant bird. XPR15SR even admits to being very lucky having Doc make it easy. Normally, it's more like Sunshine (cute name), hesitant and cautious and leary. So don't compare Sunshine to any other bird. He will be perfect. Chippy is perfect for me and it took him a lot longer than 8 days. But I do need to see a PICTURE!

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 03:13 AM

Thanks Jeanne i thought it was a great name for her too. But Im i supposed put picture and if so why?

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 03:19 AM

Because its no fair YOU get to see her and we dont! I'm just kidding.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 03:43 AM

Haha Funny joke yep but probably its the same as one of your birds and i named it because it seems playful and because its color Yellow on top and green on bottom She is so cute with my other Green Budgie Oh and Would it be easier to hand train my bird with my other budgie or without.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 04:49 AM

From what I have read it is easier to train when it is just one bird. Having one train with others birds is possible, but from the information I have gathered, it takes much longer.

I am no expert. Doc is my first and only keet. I don't have any other experience. I am sure that others will chime in with their experiences.

Everyone says that patience is the key. A lot of repetition on a daily basis is needed to train one of these guys. But it is well worth your efforts in the long run. Good luck and have fun!

Oh, and I agree. Pics are necessary! lol I like seeing other peoples birds.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 04:58 PM

Yeah alright so probably im going to get it used to its enviornment for a bit seperate them hand train sunshine put her back in and probably hand train my green keet unless sunshine gets him convinced that im friendly....

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 06:25 PM

It would probably be easier to go ahead and separate them now. Let them get used to their surroundings. Train each of them individually. Then introduce them to each other in the same cage.

This just seems, to me, to be a natural flow of progression.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: XPR15SR
This just seems, to me, to be a natural flow of progression.

It sure does

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 09:14 PM

Dang That just got to me...IF i move to another place Ill have to wait another 10 days....Ok I like my birds and i'm commited to doing so back to getting a new cage...

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 11:01 PM

Trogdor, just after the first move from the pet store to your house is when you need to wait 10 days. After your new baby is used to your house, if you move him to a different room or a different cage you do not have to start all over on the ten days.

Good luck with your babies and let us know how it is going.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/24/10 11:31 PM

Alright thats awesome
Yep im going to do that next thursday Thanks guys so far he observes me and chirps to me when i talk to her i love her!!! She is starting to like me.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/25/10 12:21 AM

Thats great improvement! Did you try poking millet through the bars?

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/25/10 12:54 AM

Not Yet
Ill try The Millet wont fit that good inbetween the bars but ive been putting millet in so they can eat it Tommorow i will try it!

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/25/10 12:57 AM

Make them see that YOUR holding the millet!

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/25/10 01:03 AM

Alright I'll emphasis it so that they can see that im holding the treat if they come i'd be so happy but since its new i would be suprised for it to run away.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/25/10 05:35 PM

Alright I tryed the millet trick sadly they just stood there and watched it...I guess they weren't sure whether or not to come. Its been 6 days so far i've had Sunshine she starts talking and flying in her cage and so far she has been fine with the hand being in the cage as long as it doesn't move fast or go in her direction.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/25/10 06:47 PM

Trogdor, something you will want to do. Put some millet (1/2 of one of the long stems) in the cage attached to the side bars. You can attach it with a clothes pin, with a twist tie, but dont leave the twist tie in the cage after the millet is eaten because the keet will start chewing on it.

This will let them try (at their own pace) the millet and find out that they like it (which they will). Then when you put some more in the cage they will recgonize it as a treat. After a few times of this (this will take several days) then you can hold the millet with you hand and see if they will come to your hand to eat it. It may work, it may not. It is just another way to gain their trust.

Six days is not a long time. She is still adjusting to her new environment. Take it slow, easy and at the keets pace.

Good luck, it does take patience.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/25/10 07:05 PM

(After i posted i try again) i was holding from the bars and my older bird decided he'd try it and started eating it!!!! I was so happy but my new bird decided to clean himself while my green keet ate the millet THANKS GUYS MERRY XMAS
Posted By: Sora

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/27/10 02:28 AM

I too just bought a new budgie. And have made great progress getting it hand trained using millet. I put some in the cage the very fist day, but I haven't put any in since then. When we practice our hand training I have a small piece of millet as a treat. When things are going well, I give him the millet, but if Sora is being stubborn no millet for him. One thing you might want to consider is putting a towel or something down first. Sora is EXTREMELY messy with the millet it goes everywhere. And the towel just helps with the clean up afterwards.

And just keep in mind, everyone has already said it, this right now is about building trust. How hard is it for you to trust someone new at work? For me I have a really hard time truly trusting someone, others don't. Any pet is the same way, go slowly don't force her and she will come around.

Keep us posted and please, please post a picture. we wanna see

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 02:03 AM

Hey guys Trogdor I took Illusive Fantasy's advice and quarantiuned them because I wanted the new bird to focus on me and not on the other bird so i plan to do this at least 2 months should i do it shorter please tell me. Thanks guys you have been such a help to me this whole time!

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 02:14 AM

well if you didnt quarantine right away it may be too late now as they have been exposed to each other and quarantine should happen the day they come into the house...better late than never tho i guess...some precaution is better than absolutely none...

and regarding using millet as a treat and the mess or whatever...it takes just as much effort to offer fresh veggies as a treat and that is also more beneficial and nutritional than millet which they get in their seeds anyway...and no time like right away to get them interested into fresh veggies...over millet...and no mess either...no risk of any of the hulls or dust getting into nares or any other kinds of complications...

fresh carrot leaf or beet leaf or parsley sprigs or brocolli head or snow pea pods..any of that.. lettuce has no nutritional value tho...even a bit of baby spinach once in awhile...anyyyyyything but millet...but thats my opinion and to each their own...ya do what ya gotta do ..lol

clearly im not a millet advocate but thats never been a secret in here...

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 02:18 AM

Yea I have been giving my birds lots of broccoli and they seem to like it and Illusive is it ok to Fast the bird : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_N91_vzy_k&feature=related (video that says it)
and then give it millet do think that is good for the bird?

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 02:24 AM

never fast a bird...ever...you want them to willingly do things not in desparation...NEVER EVER FAST A BIRD...

oh yeah dont give lots of brocolli just once in awhile it along with parsley and spinach are calcium binders...

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 02:27 AM

Alright lol....ok have to be persistant it seems a little stunned that i have moved to a new location. and i have gave it fresh water, millet, broccoli and normal food. It just sits and looks at me but as you said its about trust.

And They seem to communicate across 3 rooms by making a loud tweet does that mean i shouldn't have seperated them?

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 02:28 AM

i edited above post about brocolli please read..and TROGDOR ...relax...ok justtttttttt relaxxxxxxxx...lol

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 02:33 AM

Alright....Rofl man ok that means i only put 1 broccoli like a week or two weeks....So what do you think should quarantinue for 2 months or 1?

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 03:02 AM

Trogdor, one of the things that I do for my keets is: chop up carrots, carrot tops, the tops off brocolli, a little boiled egg, kayle, beet tops and what ever I have for a treat for them. I chop it all up to about seed size, I do it with a little electric chopper I have, but you can do it with a knife.

I put this in their treat tray, sprinkle just a bit of dired chick weed and millet over the top. The love it.

Dont put a lot in their treat try because you need to discard the uneaten part after a few hours. If they dont eat it at first, just discard the part in their food dish and add fresh out of the fridge.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 04:42 AM

BLR ...you really need to try spoiling your birds more...they seem soooo neglected ...lol...

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 05:05 AM

Well I had to take out the little bell they had for room service.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 05:15 AM

Hey guys my new bird just had unusual behavior I don't know why maybe he was lonely but he hung from the cage side and let me pet his belly I was like WHAT!?! Should i put him back in with the other one?
He is also roaming the top of his cage upside down I think its really attached to its flock

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 06:15 AM

Trogdor, this would be an excellent time to make yourself his flock. Go ahead and work with him on taming him. If at this time you put him back with his buddy, his buddy will be his flock. Take it slow and easy, but start working on finger taming him.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 03:56 PM

Ok I tried the perch step and i put the perch at the back of his/her feet and suprisingly she got on! I don't know if she was scared or forced to do it but she did! and i moved in very slow circles for a bit she didn't jump off until I stopped.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 05:22 PM

ahh progress, that is always a good feeling.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/29/10 07:28 PM

Man these birds must be very in love we let the old one out and Sunshine was chirping and my Green Keet followed the sound and went into the room that Sunshine was in and hung out for a bit. its funny My old one gets on my finger in the cage but just jumps to another perch when he gets on.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/30/10 02:20 AM

Also I tried the millet trick on sunshine again...Results are that she stood and stared at my hand started to chirp a little and starting to eat the food out of the cup not from my hand....

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/30/10 08:13 PM

Hey guys new improvement Sunshine likes my hand (a bit) she lets me touch her little feet and belly and kinda eats millet out of my hand!

EDIT: I was stroking the little guys belly and i tried to see if he would come on to my finger HE DID!!!!! Its was awesome hung on my finger while i moved it around the cage YES!!!!

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/30/10 10:21 PM

Your too good! Then again did he hesitate or come on right away? Was he quiet or was he moving? I mean what if you didnt realize it, but you wer forcing her to come on?

If she came on right away and was atleast nibbling your finger a little then that means your good. If shes not nibbling then something weird is happening. Lol maybe i'm just jealous. I've had my birds for 6 months now, they come on my hand, head, arm but not my finger! If i touch them they wont run or fly, they would BITE!!!! I have a feeling my birds dont like me at all theyre just USING ME! Evil Birds! They'd only come on my arm if they wanted me to bring them somewhere or if they wanted a treat. They never rely on me for comfort they use me to hold the paper steady so that they can bite it without it moving so much, they want me to hold the millet so that it doent move alot, they are using me!!!

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/30/10 10:33 PM

I think it kinda hesitated it was quiet and it just observed my finger while it was on maybe i did force her......she did nibble the first second to check what the hek is this

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/30/10 10:38 PM

No no no no if thats what she did you DIDNT force her! Cuz if you let her see for herself it it was ok then thats OK. nIBBLING IS GOOD!

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/31/10 01:00 AM

Its kinda weird when i do my finger or perch sometimes she only puts her left leg on and her right leg on the side of the cage does that mean she is scared of the object?

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 12/31/10 05:00 PM

Kinda but she will progress!

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 01/01/11 06:16 PM

Happy new year Trogdor!

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 01/01/11 06:17 PM

bump
Posted By: JeanneM

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 01/02/11 03:07 AM

Ok, what exactly does "bump" mean??

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 01/02/11 03:13 AM

It is just a way to get the thread back up to the top. Especially if someone is needing a response and the thread has gone off the bottom of the list of recent posts.

It means "bump" back up to the top.

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 01/02/11 05:41 AM

Yes....but what was the purpose of the bump? It seems that the issue in question was taken care of. The last thing said was Happy New Year. No bump needed. lol

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 01/05/11 08:30 PM

Hey guys happy new year I've been hanging out with her at least 2 hours every night she doesn't sing i noticed. She only talks when the green keet talks why is it because she has not adjusted?

Re: My parakeet what should I do? - 01/05/11 09:24 PM

trogdor basically you keep asking the same questions which are all in one way or another related to the issue...and the answers have been given over n over...read some other threads as well...
© 2020 Lisa Shea Forum