Lisa Shea

FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)!

Posted By: AyEe Y0o

FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/24/06 01:28 AM

Yes. It took me a while to make it... but it's a all good.

7.5W x 10.5D x 12.5H ... The top opens!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/EMZA64/Box1.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/EMZA64/Box2.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/EMZA64/Box3.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/EMZA64/Box4.jpg

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/24/06 01:38 AM

These are more recent!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/EMZA64/Box5.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/EMZA64/Box6.jpg
Posted By: icequeen50

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/24/06 01:40 AM

WELL, WELL, WELL WE ARE QUITE THE HANDYMAN! Very nicely done. I hope it all works out for you. laugh
Posted By: Replacment

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/24/06 01:50 AM

:p good job! I wish I could build one...I have to buy em at the pet stores, turning twenty and I can't even build one :rolleyes:
Posted By: mamakeet

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/24/06 01:56 AM

wtg AyE YOo !!!! I have one box I bought and the other is just a cardboard box! lol

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/24/06 02:00 AM

Lol, mamakeet how are the keets doing?
Posted By: Alyssa

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/24/06 02:10 AM

Its cute, but are you planning to breed them? If you aren't this really isn't a good idea to give 6 birds.. it's almost (if not already) breeding season for keets, hormones will start going nuts very soon, and that box is going to encourage some if not all of them to start breeding. (Have a look at the '20 eggs from one parakeet' topic in General to get an idea of what this does).

Also.. is it safe? It looks like you've used that fake-wood-wall paper stuff, which has something on it that makes it shine and also dyes on the paper (the only type of paper you should ever give them is soy-based black and white newspaper, or plain computer paper). If they chew on it it could hurt them.

No trying to tear this apart or anything. It looks very good. I just don't want to see anything happen to your keets.

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/24/06 02:14 AM

Alyssa, when is breeding season for keets. When does it start, and end. Just wondering :p .

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/24/06 02:34 AM

It might've already started, I'm not for certain. But pet budgies can breed all year round, its just hormones start going even more crazy at a certain time of year. I believe it's in spring time.

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/24/06 03:49 AM

You know... I took off the wallpaper that looks like wood... for good reasons... it fades pretty quickly and I can't imagine my birdies, you know... eating it... and God forbid... I would DIE...

I tried putting cardboard... it didn't work out... maybe later in the week... I'm going to figure something out... I'm still waiting for my second bird cage, you know.

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/25/06 06:13 AM

The second the box was finished, I sprayed painted it silver. But I was unsure, if I should keep it like that. So I put wallpaper... like 5 minutes into it, I was thinking what if the birds would eat it, now, it's striped back to it silver coating. Well, the whole point now I want all of you to help me decide on what to do with the box.

I'm all opened. My ears are cleaned.

Throw them advices all to me!

You know what. I'll call it the Forum Box... because you all have been beside me, helping me, throw happy times and and sad times with me and my birds. So the box is based on your designs.

Oh... plus.. I would like to do something with my bird's feathers.

Give me advice on something like that.

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/25/06 06:15 AM

The second the box was finished, I sprayed painted it silver. But I was unsure, if I should keep it like that. So I put wallpaper... like 5 minutes into it, I was thinking what if the birds would eat it, now, it's striped back to it silver coating. Well, the whole point now I want all of you to help me decide on what to do with the box.

I'm all opened. My ears are cleaned.

Throw them advices all to me!

You know what. I'll call it the Forum Box... because you all have been beside me, helping me, through happy times and sad times. Teaching me, I'm still learning, to be a fabulous pet owner. So the box is based on your designs.

Oh... plus.. I would like to do something with my bird's feathers.

Give me advice on something with that..

Enjoy guys!

Remember everything's open!
Posted By: jaykelvik

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/25/06 09:48 PM

The breeding season can start any time but by making a nestbox this will encourage them to breed
Posted By: Jloc

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/25/06 10:51 PM

You can't have anything painted for sure, just use either cardboard or some fresh wood that is known to be safe to keets, there are many lists on the web of the safe woods, after looking go buy a little sheet of that wood at HOme Depot of something then cut it to shape. Also if you are going to breed these guys I would try to find a good book on breeding and maybe a local breeder that can give you tips. Both the book or the breeder can give you a better buleprint for a breeding box. I wouldn't put any of those you made near the keets yet, not until you have made a new one and knows its safe. Just trying to help like Alyssa said, keets can die and get sick very easy and breeder can be very dangerous for babies and adults, so it's best to know everything possible before starting so you don't lose any birds. I wish you the best of luck though and I hope all goes well. Jloc

Re: FORUM BOX (Breeding Box/Bird House)! - 02/26/06 12:12 AM

Please please take it away if you put paint on it! It could kill them very fast if they chew on it. If you painted it in your room, make sure you take the keets out of your room and air the room out for at least an hour - the paint fumes can (and will if theres too much) kill them.

I know you want to build one, but nestboxes are only 6-12 dollars at the store, and they are safe. Please don't give the ones you have made to the keets - paint, and wall paper are both toxic (wall paper because of the dyes and shiney stuff). If you really want to build one, you need to go buy a few pieces of UNTREATED pine from lows or something and use STAINLESS STEEL nails/screws to hold it together. No glue. Make sure there are no nails sticking out. If you don't by the right type of nails, theres a chance of lead/zinc posioning. It would most likely cost less to just buy one. You cannot paint it.

If you are doing it for breeding purposes, it's better that you buy one, anyway. Cardboard things will get chewed up very quickly and get very messy. A breeding box needs to have a 'dip' down on the floor, where the eggs will go so that they do not roll around and kill the unborn babies. You can't do this, at least not the right way, with cardboard. If you are doing it just to give them somewhere to go, please reconsider, you have so many birds and it will just encourage them to breed or lay inferitle eggs which you must take serious - egg binding, mother not getting enough calcuim, an egg breaking while still in the mother and the yolk posioning her, also the mother not taking care of the babies which leaves you to feed them every few hours (if you have school it will be impossible for you to do it on time - which, they might very well die if you don't. You could also risk killing them by not holding them right while feeding them, so they inhale the food - you need to get *hands on experience*, not just read about it, from a breeder that's done this). This is not a good idea at all if you don't want babies. You have what - 6 birds? I'm sure you have more than one female, which means you could have to deal with 2-3 mothers doing this at the same time. It's just not worth it to just give them someplace to go like this.
© 2022 Lisa Shea Forum