Lisa Shea

OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!!

Posted By: Anonymous

OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 01:10 AM

Okay so I went to go over to the cage to say hi to all the little buggers and on my way I see Caico in the window. Literally IN the window!! We have those really old windows that are a wooden square that lifts up? Anyway this window has the air conditioner in the bottom part and (as I now discovered AFTER the fact) hubby forgot to put the foam in the space at the top when he put in the air conditioner. That blanket was NOT in the window at the time either. When I saw Caico in there I freaked out!! There is also a gap at the bottom edge of the top window right under where he was sitting......story cont. w/next photo

I rushed outside and crammed a baby blanket in the space. I ended up having to shove another full size blanket into the windows so that I slowly lifted Caico up towards the opening. I still couldn't get him all the way up to the opening and it was getting harder and harder to shove the blanket in. Worried now the pressure might make the glass break (remember this is also old glass-not shatter resistant stuff ya know?), I went back inside the house and put a branch into the opening and down to where Caico was at. It took him a couple of tries but he finally got up the stick and out the opening back into the dining room.

The boys all got a millet treat to help Caico calm down. Me? I was shaking for HOURS!!

So if you have old windows, PLEASE be sure they are sealed up!! I thought ours were, but they weren't. At least this one wasn't!!
Posted By: joandboys

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 01:34 AM

Whew!!! that was close. Glad you got him safe. Husbands! huh...can't live with them...can't live without them.
Posted By: ___JA

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 01:39 AM

YIKES! How scary! I'm glad he's OK, though. Give yourself a good pat on the back for staying cool and rescuing him.
Posted By: Chocoemilk

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 02:22 AM

Phew!
But great job! You can now calm down, as I guessed you have.
Please do tell hubby, but not in a scolding way!

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Chocoemilk
Please do tell hubby, but not in a scolding way!
Oops, too late! I was feeling very grouchy this afternoon when hubby woke up. I don't know why but I was. **ducking head in shame** and it was hubby's birthday too.
Posted By: tealcandtina

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 02:35 AM

I am so happy for you to have Caico safe! Spring is in the air for sure! Happy birthday to your husband!

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 02:40 AM

Yeah I figured it was a too late for that post, but had to do it in case hubby was all day away working.
It's understandable, I mentioned it cause when we get shocked like that we don't really care and just scold harshly, happens to me all the time lol. I guess he knows the importance of that to you so I think he was ok with the scolding? (although he was waking up, :S hahaha). The good thing is Caico is back with you! Otherwise I'd be calling on the phone to scold him myself!
By the way, congratulate him for me!!

Also, a bit off the topic, but I cooked (brown) rice for my keets the other day, and they are eating it great, I mixed it with some seeds too. However my keets kinda like hull the rice, although it doesn't have a hull, I wanted you know if your keets ate it the same way? Thanks for the tip!

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 02:58 AM

LOL, yeah he is used to me and my moods by now (mental pause and all that ya know? LOL) Mine seem to roll everything they eat as if they are trying to hull it.

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 04:29 AM

Correct!
Great. But do half rice grains end up on the bottom of the cage? In my case it is a complete mess after they ate a lot of rice!

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 04:42 AM

It is a complete mess everyday!! LOL whatever they eat, they throw a lot or drop it. You should see the wall by where they are during the day!! Hubby commented and I told him I was just going to put a frame around it. After all it is beautiful budgie art my babies made for me.
Posted By: tweetymom

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 05:00 AM

I'm so glad you found a way to get him! That was pretty clever of you to think of that fast. Ya just never know what to expect from the day, huh?

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Caribbean mom :)
[...] After all it is beautiful budgie art my babies made for me.

Awww, that sounds so cute. I love it! My wall beside the cage is a mess too! Luckily for me I can move the cage. So every 2 days approx. I can vacuum and clean there.

Great job again on getting Caico back!

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 06:40 AM

oh man that is so scary, poor caico !!!! glad you were able to get him out!!!

they get into the wierdest places!!!!
Posted By: skipperdog

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 03:19 PM

Wow, that's scary!. I'm glad he's okay.

He's a little cutie, too.
Posted By: **mattie**

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 04:13 PM

Me too.

frown Wow. That was close! I'm very glad you got him back smile
Posted By: lindap23

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 07:24 PM

I know what you are talking about the old windows and we also have those in our house and I will have to remember to check the spaces all out around out window AC as well, but I am glad that you were able to get him out with a stick and that he hoped on after the second try and that he is safe and sound now.
Posted By: WhitePegasus

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/09/09 08:12 PM

Opal did that to me last year. Same exact thing, the air conditioner was in the lower window and he fell down on top of it between the two pains of glass. I FREAKED OUT cuz if he fell a little further he would have ended up outside. I had to carefully pull the AC out and close the bottom window to get him out.

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/10/09 12:12 AM

Did you just happen to have the camera handy?! Dang, you are good! I've wondered about that ever since the first post on this.

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/10/09 04:41 AM

Dinah, I ALWAYS "happen" to have the camera ready. With 4 grandkids popping in and 5 daycare kids here and 4 fids, I never know when a "Kodak moment" may take place. wink

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/10/09 05:23 AM

Right!! I do not have a camera so I guess that's why I didn't snap to that!! My daughter and daughter in law keep me supplied with pics. You could send that pic and the story to some magazine!

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/11/09 06:51 PM

It does serve as a good warning to watch those old windows!

And BTW-Hubby did pull my blankets out of the window and properly seal the gap with the foam. laugh
Posted By: kksuns

Re: OMG!! I almost lost Caico today!!!!! - 06/11/09 08:42 PM

Wow Sheri, I just saw this! Your guys sure do keep you on your toes, don't they? Glad to see that Caico was fine. Good thinkin lady! LOL
Happy belated Birthday to hubby!!! smile
© 2021 Lisa Shea Forum